• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay another series quirk I need explained: the non-contiguous zones. Obviously there may be hardware reasons for the loading screens, but I've heard people call it a design decision before. Why? Because all its doing for me now is being really annoying when either a monster attack or my own attack animation knocks me over the invisible line.

I believe that Monster Hunter 4 is going to correct that, from what I've seen.

Basically, MH4 is the Monster Hunter game that I'd want right now, but it's not out yet...

Hmph. I hope that they have a Wii U version of that, too!

deviljho

I feel like...the monster is fast, and I am slow. If we were both slow thats a rythym I could get into easily. If we were both fast, same thing. If he was slow and I was fast, well, that would be easy. But I keep finding that I'm halfway through an attack animation and he dashes away leaving me to swing at empty ground.

Part of the game is learning how each weapon handles and how eat monster moves. So the "rhythm" you mention is more a rhythm of timing and anticipation. It involves learning when to exploit openings for attacks, dodge and always when to withdraw and reposition. So yeah, it's fun when you learn these things and get revel in your accomplishments.

That's a big plus for me, knowing that I've actually improved my skill and to see that reflected in the hunt.

Okay another series quirk I need explained: the non-contiguous zones. Obviously there may be hardware reasons for the loading screens, but I've heard people call it a design decision before. Why? Because all its doing for me now is being really annoying when either a monster attack or my own attack animation knocks me over the invisible line.

The breaking up of the zones, to the extent that they are now, is probably not needed from a technical level. But I'm guessing that originally, they aided in the design of the game, especially the monster AIs. That said, there are pros and cons to the current zone system. They could change it with some work to the AI, but this is what we have right now. Removing the borders without changing the AI would create a different set of issues.

The long and short of it is that you should avoid fighting a monster near a zone border until you know what you are doing very well. Just lead it back into an open space.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
So what weapons we maining?

If anyone wants to hunt with me, I mainly use (in order of most to least):

Longsword
Dual Sword
Sword and Shield
Greatsword
Lance
Hammer
Hunting Bow

Ken

I played mostly melee weapons in Tri and P3rd, so I'm going to switch it up here and focus on the bow and bowguns.

Filth

My GameStop is doing a midnight release. Awwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhhh :D

Guys I setup my wii u today. My name is ph1lthy. Add me please <3333333

Doorman

I believe that Monster Hunter 4 is going to correct that, from what I've seen.

Basically, MH4 is the Monster Hunter game that I'd want right now, but it's not out yet...

Hmph. I hope that they have a Wii U version of that, too!
Nah, from what we've seen, 4 still contains the broken-up zones with (brief) loading screens just like every previous installment of the series. The bonus is that at least these zones look a bit more dynamic than previously, especially now that they're making elevation a bigger focus on the maps.

If anyone wants to hunt with me, I mainly use (in order of most to least):

Longsword
Dual Sword
Sword and Shield
Greatsword
Lance
Hammer
Hunting Bow

I can't guarantee that the order will stay the same, but for right now my list is probably like...

Hunting Horn
Gunlance
Switch Axe
Lance

...Maybe I'll try getting back into bowgunning at some point if I wind up with enough extra materials to make a gunner armor set. I had fun with it during my latter Tri days.

FlyFaster

here's some links to a few vids I've posted recently.

Sub 5 Lagombi - GS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMjoRbmVT-o

Sub 4 Lagombi - DB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVCfw24J48Q

Sub 5 Lagombi - LN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjwAHIp_LKg

Sub 5 Lagombi - GL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR2jxPCnQaU

Sub 5 Lagombi - LS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1iBf6xPkxM

I just made vids for the weapons I'm interested in. Anyway, hope someone enjoys these or they help someone understand a weapon a bit more.

I was planning on doing some more Sub 4 vids but I just haven't got them recorded. I don't have video but I've also done it with LN and LS. oh well.

deviljho

here's some links to a few vids I've posted recently.

Awww yeah, Fly going in...

ibrFpfqIUbw3A6.gif

Mupod

I will be focusing on the Hunting Horn in an attempt to actually get good at using it.

My traditional main weapon is hammer, but I'm also pretty good with LS and HBG. I will probably be picking GS up again if I can put together a good crit draw set, but I don't use it until I have the gear to support it.

I like to use SnS in groups where having another hammer would be troublesome, but this might be supplanted by DS now that it's back.

"EDIT: And I am sick of fighting right on the edge of a zoneboundary where the anination of an attack can carry me through and into a different area"

No. Don't do that.

Hm? It's pretty much impossible not to sometimes. When playing the demo, there were multiple times that the Lagombi was outside of range entirely.

...Can you switch weapons during quests in the full game? A bow would have been helpful.

Ken

Hm? It's pretty much impossible not to sometimes. When playing the demo, there were multiple times that the Lagombi was outside of range entirely.

...Can you switch weapons during quests in the full game? A bow would have been helpful.

No.

I think the problem is the AI partners. When they get stuck at the edge of the map, they usually die in the corner keeping the monster there the entire time.

It happens online occasionally too, but less frequently,

Nope, not possible to switch weapons between games. It would be really nice, though there's the issue of your armor being completely incompatible with your weapon.

MH: Tri was my first experience with the series and I got to the point where I wasn't terrible with the greatsword. Unfortunately, the demo has taught me that I've lost my greatsword mojo, but I really enjoyed dual sword, even more so than greatsword. Are there any nuances to using dual swords well, or is it mostly just getting a feel for keeping the charge up as much as possible?
Abuse iframes a lot. It'll be akin to aggrolancing before Lances got the counter ability in Tri.

sgjackson

MH: Tri was my first experience with the series and I got to the point where I wasn't terrible with the greatsword. Unfortunately, the demo has taught me that I've lost my greatsword mojo, but I really enjoyed dual sword, even more so than greatsword. Are there any nuances to using dual swords well, or is it mostly just getting a feel for keeping the charge up as much as possible?

deviljho

You can't switch weapons or armor in the middle of a quest, only when you prep before you set off.

The issue of monsters camping at borders is really just another aspect of the game to get better at. Try to get them to an open area. Otherwise, attack them near defensively, try not to put your back towards the border, etc... Eventually, your skill will improve in managing this situation as well. Then you'll get good at it and call yourself a bad ass. The game gives you plenty of opportunities to feel good about yourself :)

No.

I think the problem is the AI partners. When they get stuck at the edge of the map, they usually die in the corner keeping the monster there the entire time.

It happens online occasionally too, but less frequently,

You can ping them and call them back to you.

Mupod

It's never impossible. Just back off and let it come to you. If necessary call your minions over.

I suppose it might just sit there and spam ranged attacks for a while but I have not seen this become a serious issue in a long time. The only monster I can think of who was really bad for zone line camping was Black Gravios with his damn sweep laser and he's definitely not in this game.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dam, I don't know if I should buy this. I spent several good hours hunting along fellow Gaffers on Tri. But now I believe it isn't on my best interest to spent so many hours again. :(

Also, do we know if the Wii U ad-hoc to enable online with the 3DS version thing will come to NA?

Hiltz

Dam, I don't know if I should buy this. I spent several good hours hunting along fellow Gaffers on Tri. But now I believe it isn't on my best interest to spent so many hours again. :(

Also, do we know if the Wii U ad-hoc to enable online with the 3DS version thing will come to NA?

Last I heard, the 3DS makeshift online solution has not yet been announced for North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom