• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.

Story is pretty light; it's just there to move you along to bigger monsters but in the end you're fighting monsters and crafting.

Well I guess I just wanted to know. Can you beat the game? Is there an ending of sorts. Even if it's a minor story, I like when you can complete something. Just a preference of mine.

Busaiku

Holy crap, Lagombi was absolutely destroyed by the Dual Blades in the demo.
I like that I can just mash with that, the hitbox is crazy.

Well I guess I just wanted to know. Can you beat the game? Is there an ending of sorts. Even if it's a minor story, I like when you can complete something. Just a preference of mine.

Though the story is minor, you can beat the village quests and there will be a scene of sorts that will show the player accomplished something for the village. After that, you're free to do whatever.

L Thammy

You can also go for full quest completion. Every quest you've cleared is marked, and if you clear all the quests in a rank the rank itself is marked as clear.

No, you press start then press X or Y.

For the Wii U demo the buttons are right on the touchscreen. The Wii U Advantage (TM).

Abandond

Okay, so I decided to replay the demo as something that isn't ranged (I tried originally as a gunlance) and I got to say that I enjoyed the game a LOT more. The combat felt much more fluid and fun. I might actually pick up this game now.

Is there a reason I felt this way? Gunlance just felt so klunky, half the time I was reloading when I wanted to shoot or I was using melee instead of ranged and it was just a mess. Maybe a lack of a button guide or something to tell me what does what was the issue.

Is there any hopes of 3ds online actually patched in? I seem to remember something about that but I might be wrong.

Ken

Okay, so I decided to replay the demo as something that isn't ranged (I tried originally as a gunlance) and I got to say that I enjoyed the game a LOT more. The combat felt much more fluid and fun. I might actually pick up this game now.

Is there a reason I felt this way? Gunlance just felt so klunky, half the time I was reloading when I wanted to shoot or I was using melee instead of ranged and it was just a mess. Maybe a lack of a button guide or something to tell me what does what was the issue.

Is there any hopes of 3ds online actually patched in? I seem to remember something about that but I might be wrong.

Gunlance isn't ranged. The shells (the gun part) are there to increase your damage output and can be chained into and from normal attacks (the lance part), but you still have to be in the monsters face for the shells to be effective.

Ranged is light and heavy bowgun, and the bow.

Peru

It's patched in in an ad-hoc, awkward way - you need the WiiU to link it up online. If you don't plan on getting a WiiU just solo this game and then play MH4 3DS online.

Abandond

Gunlance isn't ranged. The shells (the gun part) are there to increase your damage output and can be chained into and from normal attacks (the lance part), but you still have to be in the monsters face for the shells to be effective.

Oh. That makes more sense. I guess I'm just not used to such long animations and then not being able to move at all while they're going.

It's patched in in an ad-hoc, awkward way - you need the WiiU to link it up online. If you don't plan on getting a WiiU just solo this game and then play MH4 3DS online.

Yeah, not happening. I guess solo it is if I do end up picking it up.

For those getting this on the Wii U, what TV/monitor are you going to play this on? I have two options that I'm going to try out:

24" Asus LED @ 1080p with the Sony Pulse Wireless Headphones
42" LG LCD @ 1080 with a 7.1 Onkyo surround sound system

My Asus has a much better response time and is newer than my LG, plus I can live stream easier right next to my PC.

Neo C.

I have question: How many people can be in one room? In Tri, there's only enough space for four guys, it's easier to team up in a room of eight.

Doombear

I have heard first hand from a friend that nabbed an early copy that voice sounds damn nice, is quite clear,and doesn't seem to pick up much outside of your voice. This from just the front facing mic on the pad.

For those getting this on the Wii U, what TV/monitor are you going to play this on? I have two options that I'm going to try out:

My Asus has a much better response time and is newer than my LG, plus I can live stream easier right next to my PC.
50 LG plasma @ 1080p with Yamaha 7.1. After the patch I will probably just play off-TV though - lol.

Doombear

In other news the Bradygames e-guide is out (on their site) and it apparently has 522 pages. Still not 1200 but better than 250. Still would rather have that Japanese Monster Bible myself.

moowear

The classic controller works with ultimate but how will it connect to the wii u? does the wii remote with cpp controller attach sync to the game pad or the wii u system? Basically, do I need the game pad around when i'm playing with the cpp? Sorry if this has been asked.

Pineconn

I find all this (lack of) host migration nonsense to be... nonsense. People on FAQs are saying that when the city creator leaves, everyone else gets booted from the online system? Even between quests? Some aspects of the online infrastructure are certainly archaic, but damn, this would be awful. Even Tri had host migration.

Any 3.5mm headset works right?

The mic has to be in-line for it to be enabled.

Peru

In other news the Bradygames e-guide is out (on their site) and it apparently has 522 pages. Still not 1200 but better than 250. Still would rather have that Japanese Monster Bible myself.

If it has the damage charts and weapon trees from the original I may still be tempted. It's a bit expensive for a digital guide though and I would need some user reviews before considering buying it- weird that there's no preview function on their site.

Ken

I find all this (lack of) host migration nonsense to be... nonsense. People on FAQs are saying that when the city creator leaves, everyone else gets booted from the online system? Even between quests? Some aspects of the online infrastructure are certainly archaic, but damn, this would be awful. Even Tri had host migration.

The mic has to be in-line for it to be enabled.

Do you know if Sennheiser PC350 works?

Gunlance just felt so klunky, half the time I was reloading when I wanted to shoot or I was using melee instead of ranged and it was just a mess. Maybe a lack of a button guide or something to tell me what does what was the issue.

Gunlance is actually super fun to play, I'm thinking about maining it this time (went with regular lance in Tri).
Basically you have the front stab and up stab, and then you can finish combos with a shot or a slam finisher. If you have enough time after the slam, you can do a "Full Burst", emptying the entire ammo clip. If you need to reload, do a dodge+quick reload combo (X followed by O).

The fun part is learning to combine this into all the different combos. (That's true for all weapons though)
Here's all the possibilities if you really want to get into it, it's for p3rd though, but should be mostly the same:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MHP3rd:_Gunlance_Controls

Apparently we can kick people from lobbies now though! That's a huge improvement.

Jindujun

Neo Member
What is the Charm thing anyway? Will I really give a care if I don't get this table 10 stuff?

Most players wont bother and wont have/need to bother.
Charms are pretty much end game equipment with large bonuses to certain armor skills which allows people to mix and match the rest of their armor to allow for different/better bonuses.

Is this a requirement? Not at all. There are people beating the final monsters naked and other who beat them with the armor they think look the best rather than what gives them the most benefit

Scher

What is the Charm thing anyway? Will I really give a care if I don't get this table 10 stuff?

The charm table is essentially the list of charms you are capable of earning. Now, if you're not a serious min-maxer, you probably won't care if you're on 10, but it's a good idea to still check your table anyways. The normal tables have 21,600 charms that you can possibly find, but certain tables have significantly less, with only 216 charms that you can obtain. Also, there are two of these tables with only 216 charms that are apparently incapable of dropping rustshards, so if your character is on one of those tables, you're out of luck.

To clarify, the "cursed" tables (few possible shards you can obtain) are 11, 12, 15, 16, and 17, with tables 12 and 16 apparently having no rust shard drops.

Nohar

The charm tables are the subject of a nasty bug: among the 17 charm tables, 5 of them are "cursed" : instead of offering a variety of 20000 charms, they only offer 200 to 800 charms. Also, none of these charms have 3 slots for gems, and tables 12 and 16 prevent you from getting some items necessary to craft a G rank armor.

So, you won't care if you don't get the table 10, but you will care if you inherit a cursed one.

Peru

I decided to take one for the team and buy the Brady guide, since hey, we don't get much MH stuff in the west - and yet I can't..? They don't allow purchase from outside the US even though it's a digital guide?

Korezo

I was gonna use my 23" Asus monitor, but since I found out the amazing capcom allows you to put all the games huds on the wii pad I will now use my 50" Panasonic plasma and use my wii u pro controller. Won't have to worry about any burn in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom