• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beats

Sometimes you won't have anyone with the goldenfish quest unfortunately.

Edit: If you want, I'll do a few online goldenfish quests with you to make it go a bit faster.

Thanks, but it's alright. I'm getting a few Hunters with the quest now, so I'm just sending them out and doing the fishing quest at the same time to speed things up. :p

ramyeon

It's a tacked on area originally for a handheld version.
I don't think it's surprising that it lacks polish.
I don't get this. It looks fantastic, especially the cave and waterfall area.

Man, Village High Rank quests are so easy after being in G Rank :( feels like such a chore when they do such little damage.

Fistwell

Man, Village High Rank quests are so easy after being in G Rank :( feels like such a chore when they do such little damage.
Have you done all those shit giggi quests yet? I also see a lot of duram in your future. Those are funfunfun. Wrapping up village quest was just so tedious....

iRF6tspH04O1K.jpg

Got my second mantle. That makes about 15-20 G A.Raths to get all the gear for his set. Not bad tbh

All I need now are 10 Eltalite Ores and 2 Flutterflys. Where do I find those at?

Oh yeah, still waiting on a Ruby to drop...

Mr E.

Lagiacrus Plate
Lagiacrus Low Rank: Tail Carve (4%)
Lagiacrus Low Rank: Capture (6%)
Lagiacrus Low Rank: Tears - Knockdown while eating/Hit with Sonic Bomb while charging (2%)
Lagiacrus Low Rank: Break Part - Head (3%)
Lagiacrus High Rank: Tail Carve (4%)
Lagiacrus High Rank: Capture (8%)
Lagiacrus High Rank: Break Part - Head (5%)
Lagiacrus High Rank: Free Hunt (8%)
Ivory Lagiacrus High Rank: Tail Carve (5%)
Ivory Lagiacrus High Rank: Capture (10%)
Ivory Lagiacrus High Rank: Break Part - Head (8%)
Thank you for the detailed reply.

Oh fuck........lol. Loving it.

I really want to like the gunlance, but I have a horrible time dealing with the movement. My last practice match was against Nibelsnarf (really easy with LS/hammer) and I had to use all my mega potions because I kept fumbling, missing blocks and dodging in completely wrong directions. The damage from stabs and shells seemed pretty nice whenever I got hits in, and I feel like it could be fun once I get used to the style. It's just so different compared to my usual weapons and I feel helpless when the monster constantly runs around and dodges my stabs.

On the plus side, had my first encounter with Ivory Lagi (with LS) and didn't have _too_ much trouble, despite carting once from a wall combo. Kind of a fun fight.

ramyeon

iRF6tspH04O1K.jpg

Got my second mantle. That makes about 15-20 G A.Raths to get all the gear for his set. Not bad tbh

All I need now are 10 Eltalite Ores and 2 Flutterflys. Where do I find those at?

Oh yeah, still waiting on a Ruby to drop...
Man I don't know why you're having such bad luck with the Ruby :( I'm swimming in them, just carved one off a Rathalos' tail in the Village Urgent for 7*. Hope you get one soon before it drives you crazy!

Amalthea

Banned
I don't get this. It looks fantastic, especially the cave and waterfall area.

It does but some areas look stunning and others are pretty uninspired. And the idyllic, serene atmosphere kinda doesn't fit Tri's general theme of harsh environments.
I still find it beautiful and fun to play.

burgerdog

I really wasn't expecting to wipe on mark of hero before getting there. I have failed it six times and it's just so damn annoying because every attempt lasts a good 30+ mins. Ivory takes me ~15 mins to kill and always kills me once. I can go from full to 0 in three seconds tops, all it takes is one misstep to ruin a perfectly good run. The other 15 minute are spent trying to kill Azure while avoiding it and his buddy Dios. Stressful, fuck.

edit
Let me clarify, I expected to die once or twice. Just not this much. >:|

Man I don't know why you're having such bad luck with the Ruby :( I'm swimming in them, just carved one off a Rathalos' tail in the Village Urgent for 7*. Hope you get one soon before it drives you crazy!

I needed it to finish Rath Soul. Now that I have everything I need for Rath Soul Z I couldn't give a toss. So, things kind of worked out for the best.

I'll probably need one for a weapon at some point though.

Speaking of gems, I got 2 when we fought Deviljho lol. Fuark

ramyeon

I needed it to finish Rath Soul. Now that I have everything I need for Rath Soul Z I couldn't give a toss. So, things kind of worked out for the best.

I'll probably need one for a weapon at some point though.

Speaking of gems, I got 2 when we fought Deviljho lol. Fuark
Hahaha. Oh Soul Z doesn't need a gem? It's a nice looking set. I have no idea what to do with all these Rathalos parts I have now, I guess I could look into that Soul Z set, I need to start forging alternative sets since I feel like Helios Z isn't going to do everything for me all the time.

Fistwell

That's what I'm asking...why no TIGREX?!?

That's an iconic MH monster!
Ha, ok. Yeah it's not there afaik. Wish it was, it was a fun fight in 2F.

I really wasn't expecting to wipe on mark of hero before getting there. I have failed it six times and it's just so damn annoying because every attempt lasts a good 30+ mins. Ivory takes me ~15 mins to kill and always kills me once. I can go from full to 0 in three seconds tops, all it takes is one misstep to ruin a perfectly good run. The other 15 minute are spent trying to kill Azure while avoiding it and his buddy Dios. Stressful, fuck.

edit
15 minutes on lagi sounds about right. Regarding los-dios, dunno if it's really worth it to go after los too much. I only took pot shots (when he was knocked off his ass, or just standing there drooling) and instead focused on getting brachy to rage. Raging brachy laid devastation to los.

Going back to lagi being unforgiving, yeah, I resemble that remark. One big mistake and you're done. Which was a shocking development after yolo-ing all day on high and G rank with barely any consequences.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I fucking hate it when the tail I cut went over where the area transition is, thus making me unable to carve it.

Why can't they just make a, I dunno, boundary or something where the tail can't drop off? Or make the monsters stop hanging around the fucking area transition so much.

P44

Is this sort of fairly pointless to get for 3DS or is the game still good without online? Sorry, I am an utter MH newbie, but the game has always looked kinda fun to me.

Is this sort of fairly pointless to get for 3DS or is the game still good without online? Sorry, I am an utter MH newbie, but the game has always looked kinda fun to me.

It's pretty good offline, the monsters are really fun to fight. I played like 100h on my own and definitely got my moneys worth. Online comes into its own, aside from enjoying good company, when you start farming items. In a group monsters drop in less than half the time it takes solo.

That and knocking people into the air with hammer uppercuts only for them to be intercepted by a Rhenolpos knocking their helpless body into the charge of an enraged monster is a great way to make friends.

ramyeon

It's great offline, and if that's all you play you'll enjoy it fine. But if you do play it online it's kinda hard to go back to solo offline play.

Septimius

I have it on the Wii U. When I'm at my girlfriend's, there's something about the dsl-router that makes online impossible, so I've spent all my time playing offline. I'll be trying online for the first time this weekend, I believe, but it's most definitely worth it without online. Online's just a bonus to this already fantastic game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I've been having a blast playing solo, but there are definitely parts where you feel that it would be better online.

Offline is super fun though.

I spent a total >450+ hours on the MH series...all solo. I'm about to hit 500 hours soon...and I've only played a total of maybe 2 hours in multiplayer. It's a great game without the MP. MP just makes it that much better.

I'd have to say that I wasn't a fan of MH initially...tried it for 2 hours and dropped it. I picked up a months later. Spent 5 hours on it and got totally hooked.

C.T.

Guys teach me armor. So for example I have a complete low level Woggi set or Ratholos set. Do you upgrade this set to g and high level or are these complete different armors you have to forge? I always see X,Z and S armor.

vareon

Guys teach me armor. So for example I have a complete low level Woggi set or Ratholos set. Do you upgrade this set to g and high level or are these complete different armors you have to forge? I always see X,Z and S armor.

Completely different armor. But you can upgrade your current armor's defense using Armor Spheres.

ramyeon

So I finally got around to completing the Dragonship Duty request for unlocking the Jhen canteen quest in the village... why does the quest not appear? Does it take a few in game days for it to show up?

Mondriaan

edit
It's less stressful if you sheathe your weapon after lagi and let brachy kill los for you. You could take your chances beating down on either one of them when they both eventually become exhausted, but I definitely wouldn't bother trying to attack either one while both are enraged.

Rath Soul Z complete

Without really doing anything I've got Critical Eye+3, Minds Eye and HG Earplugs. Used up 1 slot to get HG Earplugs with a charm (+4 Hearing) so now I have 7 remaining. What should I do slot in there? I've got -10 health but that doesn't seem like a big deal.

I use Sword & Shield, Dual Blades and Long Swords predominantly

Hobohodo

So Sandy Plains, I keep losing health in the desert areas which I'm guessin is due to heat? Anyway to prevent this? I know I saw cool drinks somewhere so will they do anyting?

Mr E.

So Sandy Plains, I keep losing health in the desert areas which I'm guessin is due to heat? Anyway to prevent this? I know I saw cool drinks somewhere so will they do anyting?
Yep and chilled meat too. Probably more stuff advanced gamers could tell you.

So do you have to wear the complete set to activate the armour skill tree?

No, you just need enough combined points from armor parts, decorations and talismans to activate the skill (10 or more). Mixing parts from different sets becomes more useful when you get to the higher-rank stuff.

Cool drinks, chilled meat, heat resistance skill or shakalaka heat/cold cancel dance. Also keep in mind that when you get to night quests on the plains, you need hot drinks or cold res instead, so remember to check whether it's (D) or (N).

So do you have to wear the complete set to activate the armour skill tree?

The skill points have to reach the thresholds where they activate. A lot of sets only do that when you acquire all the pieces. You can however match up pieces with matching abilities from mismatched sets and get them working that way. Add in charms and decorations and there's alot of room variation

Why do the [advanced] quests constantly disappear?
I know they eventually reappear but if you're trying to do a specific one, constantly cycling through days hoping it appears is annoying.

Haunted

What do the [Advanced] quests do, anyway?

So I finally got around to completing the Dragonship Duty request for unlocking the Jhen canteen quest in the village... why does the quest not appear? Does it take a few in game days for it to show up?
No, it should be there immediately, in the 7★ tier.

Is G-Rank Jaggi armor the way to go when starting G-Rank like it was in HR/LR?
I personally think you're better off upgrading your (hopefully) badass HR armour, honestly.

If you upgrade it with Heavy Armor Spheres, it should be good enough to hunt many of the G-Rank monsters, at least enough until you get to an armour set you actually like. Jaggi G-Rank offers less protection than properly upgraded Rare5/6 HR armour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom