• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ein Bear

Just started playing this. It's my first Monster Hunter, so it's all a bit overwhelming, but am enjoying it!

Knew I was playing something special when Lagiacrus interrupted my quest for monster guts and started chasing me around the ocean whilst I shat myself.

Ken

What do the [Advanced] quests do, anyway?

They usually contain multiples of the same monster or various monsters to make farming for parts easier because of the reduced health per monster. This comes at the cost of advanced quests showing up randomly so you can't farm the same thing 24/7, although that can be fixed by asking other people to put up the quest if they have it.

Fewr

Just started playing this. It's my first Monster Hunter, so it's all a bit overwhelming, but am enjoying it!

Knew I was playing something special when Lagiacrus interrupted my quest for monster guts and started chasing me around the ocean whilst I shat myself.

Yes, that mission i s a very good introduction. Feel free to ask any questions you have about what to do or how things work in the game.

Haunted

They usually contain multiples of the same monster or various monsters to make farming for parts easier because of the reduced health per monster. This comes at the cost of advanced quests showing up randomly so you can't farm the same thing 24/7, although that can be fixed by asking other people to put up the quest if they have it.
Ah, ok. There are other quests with several large monsters, and with the advanced tag, I thought there would be some stipulation to make them harder or something.

Fewr

I just realised that with off-tv play I'll finally get a weekend of online play.
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

Is this sort of fairly pointless to get for 3DS or is the game still good without online? Sorry, I am an utter MH newbie, but the game has always looked kinda fun to me.
I have reached 110hrs playing this. It's been about 105hrs offline, so I can confidently say this thing is good enough offline.

I think it depends on how important online multiplayer is to you in any game. If you don't mind playing solo, this thing won't disappoint.

Mupod

I've never really had to sell anything. I just hord it all.

I'm approaching the point where I'll need to sell some shit. I'm halfway through the final page of my items box, but I believe that I've killed one of everything except Alatreon and A.Lagi now so my monster part list won't get much bigger. It sucks that decorations take up space in that box, since I experiment with armor a lot they are almost a page by themselves.

Wait a minute.....where's the Tigrex??

Tigrex has already been revamped for 3rd gen, but I'm glad he's sitting this one out. He...fell on hard times in P3rd. I hope when he comes back in MH4 he's been un-nerfed and can put the fear of god back into some newbies.

Is this sort of fairly pointless to get for 3DS or is the game still good without online? Sorry, I am an utter MH newbie, but the game has always looked kinda fun to me.

There are people who only play this for the multiplayer, but I'm not one of them. I like solo just as much, it's a different experience. I cleared all the singleplayer stuff before I did much with online and it took me ~80 hours as a veteran of the series. So even if you stop there and never tackle the port quests (multiplayer content, but soloable) the game has tons of content. And if you're good at soloing you'll be ready for MH4 which will have online on 3DS.

Liethe

Usually that'll knock you away from the monster so it isn't all that bad. Trying to sheath so you can take a potion while some DS user in Archdemon mode wails on your back is much worse
Except DS hits will knock you off balance for a fraction of the time that an upswing would. And why would you be attempting to drink a potion in the vicinity of the monster, near the people also trying to attack it? does not compute.

Letep

So, I went to transfer my save from 3DS to Wii U this morning and noticed that my 5 + hour save is gone. Not on 3DS, not on Wii U.

Is there a known save bug that would cause this to delete?

Not too far in, but bummed nonetheless.

I noticed yesterday that I'm almost at 100 hours of this beautiful game.
I can't remember the last time where I played a game for over a hundred hours.
This game is SO DAMN FUN!

Mupod

Except DS hits will knock you off balance for a fraction of the time that an upswing would. And why would you be attempting to drink a potion in the vicinity of the monster, near the people also trying to attack it? does not compute.

he didn't say he was being stopped from using the potion, but rather he couldn't get away from the monster in order to do so thanks to DS stunlock.

solution: stygian tristitia knockback prevention!

I wonder if Rock Steady prevents that kind of shit too. I haven't had a chance to use my new GS set in multiplayer yet.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No, you just need enough combined points from armor parts, decorations and talismans to activate the skill (10 or more). Mixing parts from different sets becomes more useful when you get to the higher-rank stuff.

Cool drinks, chilled meat, heat resistance skill or shakalaka heat/cold cancel dance. Also keep in mind that when you get to night quests on the plains, you need hot drinks or cold res instead, so remember to check whether it's (D) or (N).

The skill points have to reach the thresholds where they activate. A lot of sets only do that when you acquire all the pieces. You can however match up pieces with matching abilities from mismatched sets and get them working that way. Add in charms and decorations and there's alot of room variation

Alright, got it.

Got a banhbara (or however it's spelt) S for the great sword build, but I'm not too sure if that's the right choice or not. Quick sheath is probably useful though.

I do look classy though, so there's that.

Made the Barioth X set just cause it looks cool:

BariothX.png

That reminds me so much of the Izanagi persona the MC starts the game with in P4G (except being a white color of course). Very cool looking.

Mileena

Banned
I still need a Jhen DLC run or two later tonight if anyone is interested. Somehow managed to do one yesterday and not get a single allbrace :(

Ridley327

I still need a Jhen DLC run or two later tonight if anyone is interested. Somehow managed to do one yesterday and not get a single allbrace :(

I'll be on around 10 PM to lend a hand.

Yeah, those Allbrace drop rates are kinda messed up, especially as its Rare 8.

Raide

can anybody testify to have enjoyed this game without the wii u for online? really interested in getting this one.

130 ish hours now and I have not touched online. I have gone into Offline Tanzia but no co-op at all yet. Plenty of content to keep you going, as long as you're focused on getting better gear and trying out the weapons.

ramyeon

Been doing Moga Woods free hunts tonight to get rare commodities and man these can get hectic depending on the combination of monsters. Gotta remember to bring dung bombs every time.

Raide

Been doing Moga Woods free hunts tonight to get rare commodities and man these can get hectic depending on the combination of monsters. Gotta remember to bring dung bombs every time.

I really need to do that. Still not fully upgraded my stuff but its scary to go out at night. QuroPeco mostly comes out at night...mostly.

Mondriaan

Last night I knew it was time to go to bed when I was the lone hunter going after a freakishly tiny deviljho and everyone else was more interested in chasing down a half-dead jade barroth. If only I had had a few more minutes, that would have been a gold mini-crown, ugh ugh ugh.

I could probably google this but I'd like to hear from you guys: what's the best way to get a barroth's tail? I also need something from his head. I'm still such a newbie.

While I'm asking...maybe someone would be interested in helping me gather this stuff online sometime? :-D

Ridley327

Shock Traps will lower it enough for you to hit it; failing that, take the opportunity to wail on it when he starts rolling around and, obviously, when he gets knocked over from reaching the knockdown threshold on his legs.

DaBoss

I could probably google this but I'd like to hear from you guys: what's the best way to get a barroth's tail? I also need something from his head. I'm still such a newbie.

While I'm asking...maybe someone would be interested in helping me gather this stuff online sometime? :-D

Use a long sword, switchaxe, or a great sword, it will be easier to cut its tail with those weapons.

JoeFu

Banned
I wonder if I should switch weapons up. I'm kinda tired of using the greatsword... It's been fun, but I haven't got a new weapon in a while and the Dios Blade doesn't look as cool anymore :(

ramyeon

I wonder if I should switch weapons up. I'm kinda tired of using the greatsword... It's been fun, but I haven't got a new weapon in a while and the Dios Blade doesn't look as cool anymore :(
Could always get a new great sword? Dios weapons are kinda boring looking (Although OP), but there are some really nice great swords.

JoeFu

Banned
Could always get a new great sword? Dios weapons are kinda boring looking (Although OP), but there are some really nice great swords.

Everything I can make is weaker than the Dios blade, I wonder if I should go back to upgrading the Lagia one, I need 3 horns for the high lagia blade...

Mondriaan

I've been using Jaggid Shotels+

Probably not the best for this job?
Any cutting weapon will work if you always target the same leg when it's upright and always go for the tail when it falls over, assuming you're soloing. If you have a tendency to miss the leg or tail, you might kill it before the tail comes off, though.

If you're in a group, all bets are pretty much off.

Rize_21

Great hunt sessions with Neo_C,Meruvis and Zepelli!This rust Duramboros got his tip well served,taking a sweet sun bath in the pitfall trap.
On an unrelated note,I've bought a lan adapter and(for the moment)the various disconnections I used to get are gone(via wi-fi)!
That's a huge relief to play without the "fear" of being disconnected at any moment in a party.I'll be online more often from now :).

Hoodbury

Last night I knew it was time to go to bed when I was the lone hunter going after a freakishly tiny deviljho and everyone else was more interested in chasing down a half-dead jade barroth. If only I had had a few more minutes, that would have been a gold mini-crown, ugh ugh ugh.

You should have told us. A simple chat of "kill jho" would have sufficed.

Oh yeah I had so much fun yesterday. I think I did about 10 quests with the same team.

Dual Jho Arena is incredibly hard and Dual Zinogre Arena can be a pain too.

I have to try Los/Ian SS Arena again, no Smoke Bomb trick this time!

Mondriaan

You should have told us. A simple chat of "kill jho" would have sufficed.

Yeah, I was tired enough to think it was obvious. Also, didn't want to have to leave the area to type it out since it was so small that I pretty much had an infinite combo going on it.

Also, I wasn't trying to call out anyone on gaf when I mentioned it.

Hoodbury

Yeah, I was tired enough to think it was obvious. Also, didn't want to have to leave the area to type it out since it was so small that I pretty much had an infinite combo going on it.

Also, I wasn't trying to call out anyone on gaf when I mentioned it.

lol, and I was tired enough where I just wanted to end the quest so I could go to bed. heh, no worries, we'll get him next time.

ramyeon

Everything I can make is weaker than the Dios blade, I wonder if I should go back to upgrading the Lagia one, I need 3 horns for the high lagia blade...
No other weapon is gonna have higher raw than any great sword though, since they do the most damage. Horns aren't too hard to get, just hunt the Lagi in the village quests and make sure to break his head, shouldn't be too hard with a great sword. The horns drop pretty frequently I find.

Is this game reason enough to get the Wii U when so little other Wii U games are out at this time?

I have a 3DS, and I played the demo, and it was so-so, but I really would love to play online with others. My only reserve is buying the Wii U Deluxe set and the game for ~$420 and then not feeling like the game or system will carry that long. :/

I have also played Freedom Unite on the PSP back in the day, and I enjoyed it to a certain extent. I also only played that game by myself, so I am just really wondering - does the online make it worth it?

JoeFu

Banned
No other weapon is gonna have higher raw than any great sword though, since they do the most damage. Horns aren't too hard to get, just hunt the Lagi in the village quests and make sure to break his head, shouldn't be too hard with a great sword. The horns drop pretty frequently I find.

Haha I know the horns aren't hard to get, just hate fighting lagi.

ramyeon

Haha I know the horns aren't hard to get, just hate fighting lagi.
Just keep reminding yourself of that Goldbeard fight, then tell me again you hate fighting Lagi ;)
brettchalupa said:
Is this game reason enough to get the Wii U when so little other Wii U games are out at this time?
Yes. You don't need to buy a deluxe if you don't want to. I bought a basic Wii U set just for this game, and it's the only game I have on the WiiU and even plan to have for a long while. And it was worth it.

Okay, that is great to hear. I would like to get the deluxe for the bigger hard drive built in and the little extras it comes with. Is there enough of a lower-level GAF community to go on hunts with? :D

ramyeon

Okay, that is great to hear. I would like to get the deluxe for the bigger hard drive built in and the little extras it comes with. Is there enough of a lower-level GAF community to go on hunts with? :D
True, it does come with some good extras. I went with the basic because I prefer the white to black but at the end of the day you can hook up an external drive anyway. There's definitely a wide range of levels around here. There are also people just grabbing the game recently so you'll have people to play with :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom