• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

Of course the first two lagi I cap don't give me horns.............. FD jdjdjjejkdjjfjsjdhf
Just kill him, I'm fairly sure that horn isn't included in the cap rewards.

Edit: Wiki says it's a 64% chance of getting horns from breaking so you'll get them soon :p

Kyzon

Okay, that is great to hear. I would like to get the deluxe for the bigger hard drive built in and the little extras it comes with. Is there enough of a lower-level GAF community to go on hunts with? :D

High/G Gaf will help ya with the lower hunts if you want. Yesterday a couple Gaffers actually helped me run my GF (She was Leelee) through some of her first High Rank quests. It was pretty funny since we put both of our TV's and Wii U's next to each other. I would be fighting a monster while telling her which way to go since she didn't have a map.

Is this game reason enough to get the Wii U when so little other Wii U games are out at this time?

I have a 3DS, and I played the demo, and it was so-so, but I really would love to play online with others. My only reserve is buying the Wii U Deluxe set and the game for ~$420 and then not feeling like the game or system will carry that long. :/

I have also played Freedom Unite on the PSP back in the day, and I enjoyed it to a certain extent. I also only played that game by myself, so I am just really wondering - does the online make it worth it?
IMO, very much yes. This entirely justifies my Wii U's existence.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone up for HR3/4 Brachy farming? Just a couple times for me to get some Mystery Slimes and other things.

Ragus

Banned
Wooohooooo, Lagi Plate has just dropped for me. I didn't even carve his tail or break any part of his body.

81499113.gif

Kyzon

Just got a Wii U and downloading the game now. :)

So we'll play Wednesday when your download and install is finished? ;)

Jokes aside, congrats. I recommend doing the village until you kill the first big monster, or first couple. That will help you get the basis of how everything works. Now you can start watching your gametime counter soar. I think I may have hit 200 hours last night.

Mupod

Someone explain trading with the Argosy captain? Makes no sense.

he's got two types of trades.

1. regular commodities
2. rare trades

The former includes items like fertilizer for your farm, sonic bombs, pitfall traps etc. You trade for these items with commodities, which you generally find in free hunting (exit the village from the right) or are retrieved by the fishing fleet (certain types of fish are valuable). You trade by selecting your commodities and offering them for trade which fills your top bar representing their value, and then you pick his items to fill the bottom bar. He'll only accept trades of equal or greater value than his own offerings. You then complete the trade and can send your stuff to your box. Sometimes certain items are worth more or less, you might get discounts or things you want might be extra expensive that day.

The latter is the important one. You only get rare commodities by hunting large monsters in the moga woods. For example you talk to Junior and check the moga forecast, and it shows a Royal Ludroth in the woods today. So you exit the village from the right, and there will be one of those wandering around the woods. If you kill or capture (capture has higher chance of yielding rewards) you'll get X resources for doing so and when you return to Junior and ask for a hunt report, you'll get some stuff. This might include a rare trade item, its value denoted by stars. For example Royal Ludroth might drop ancient skin oil worth two stars.

This can then be traded with the captain for any two star item or two one star items. You can't get a 4 star item by trading two 2 star items, you need a 4 star item of your own. This is a very important system because it's the only way to upgrade your fishing fleet and get certain masks for your allies. There's also furnishings and such for your house once you have all the important junk.

The last thing to know about is arranging for him to make or skip stops. This is simple - if you know you don't need certain items (like farm fertilizers, or hunting items like traps) you can have him skip that destination and he'll return to the village sooner. Beware because during a few parts of the storyline he'll get stuck in port for a long time and if you skipped a location he won't get that stock back until after you progress past that event.

Mupod

I'm starting to plan my Hammer startup, is there a reason why I don't see a lot of Hammer users using sets that give the skill KO?

look at it this way: do you think that a 10% increase in KO damage will allow you to get 3 KOs per quest instead of 2, or 2 instead of 1? Because if it doesn't, the skill did nothing. And if it does, how much extra damage did that even result in? There's way more important skills to have for damage or defense.

Ridley327

Why won't you give me a Mantle G-Rank Rathalos?

Azure Rathalos has better drop rates on it. Go after him, instead.

I can't get over how awesome Rock Steady is: you get near HG Earplugs (it doesn't work on the Diablos screech and Gigginox, but that's about it!), Knockback resistance, and what appears to be low variants of Current and Wind Res, all in one skill.

Mupod

Azure Rathalos has better drop rates on it. Go after him, instead.

I can't get over how awesome Rock Steady is: you get near HG Earplugs (it doesn't work on the Diablos screech and Gigginox, but that's about it!), Knockback resistance, and what appears to be low variants of Current and Wind Res, all in one skill.

yep I opted for rock steady instead of focus in my new GS set. Shame I can't get both along with sharpness+1, crit draw and quick sheathing.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Does Duram's tail come off? I've been trying to get the Tailbone. I've shattered the tip and got the Tailcase but no bone.

It doesn't chop off like most tails, but it has two stages of breaking. One where it chips, another where the casing pops off. Once it's chipped, you can mine it when he falls over for a chance of a Tailbone. Once the case pops off, you can carve that part for another chance of a Tailbone. You'll then have a chance in Wound Rewards too.

DoubleTap

It doesn't chop off like most tails, but it has two stages of breaking. One where it chips, another where the casing pops off. Once it's chipped, you can mine it when he falls over for a chance of a Tailbone. Once the case pops off, you can carve that part for another chance of a Tailbone. You'll then have a chance in Wound Rewards too.

Awesome info. Thanks!

Priz

Is anyone going to the Monster Hunter event at Capcom HQ tomorrow? I signed up and such but I don't remember receiving any sort of confirmation e-mail (as it seemed like a raffle entry more than a RSVP). I'd just hate to drive there from the south bay and then they say "Oh, you didn't get in."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Failed Plesioth twice last week, did a bunch of online stuff including grinding Pink Rathian and Brachy, and thanks to my Dios Blade and Rath Heart armor took him down in like 15 minutes. He was doing so little damage to me compared to before, guess that's the difference between LR and HR armor!

So we'll play Wednesday when your download and install is finished? ;)

Jokes aside, congrats. I recommend doing the village until you kill the first big monster, or first couple. That will help you get the basis of how everything works. Now you can start watching your gametime counter soar. I think I may have hit 200 hours last night.

Holy smokes! The game download is almost finished, phew. Started playing on the 3DS to help the wait. :)

I was thinking the same thing - gonna get familiar with the game before hoping online. Looking forward to it!

NeOak

Holy smokes! The game download is almost finished, phew. Started playing on the 3DS to help the wait. :)

I was thinking the same thing - gonna get familiar with the game before hoping online. Looking forward to it!

Pretty much that is what i've been doing. I haven't touched Monster Hunter since P2G/FU on the PSP and even that one i didn't grind that much.

I ordered today a CPP for my XL from the NoA store, in case i find people in Houston to play with locally.

Sorry about the delay... 135 hours of playing will do that!

Hi all! Finally wanted to say hello to all of you! My brother and I are proud MonHun 3DS owners, although I play on the XL with CPP and he on my old 3DS (hand me down or not, it is his Monster Hunter player!)

Just wanted to say hello... and also brag about my brother's newest project: Monster Hunter Monsters, starting with The bird wyverns! What is this? Well, my brother makes custom clay things (Megabloks, Lego, ponies, etc...) So far, he made a Gobul! With a removable tail! Pics to share...

(Note, he is aware of the size differentiation... the scale is alright, but some proportions are off.. but based upon a minifig being equal to a 6 foot man, or something)

Sorry to spam pics/links... grinding for Lagi claws.. I swear I have STUPID luck! First Jinorgua I fight? First carve? A Jasper!!!! Sapphire for Lagi? Two already (and three plates), But CLAWS/Claw +'s ? I GET NOTHING!!!

(This is why I killed over 150 in Tri as well... plus.. I like Lagi! ;p )

RobbieNick

Wait!...Can you carve at a monster when it falls over stunned?!

Ridley327

Wait!...Can you carve at a monster when it falls over stunned?!

Some monsters have some rather unique properties to them when they're knocked over; you can mine off the backs of the Uragaans, you can catch bugs on the back of the Zinogres, and Durambros allows you to mine his tail when it reaches its first break and he on the ground after launching himself from a lariat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom