• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wait!...Can you carve at a monster when it falls over stunned?!

Yep. For Duramboros you can mine its tail (once chipped). Zinogre you can use a Bug Net to catch bugs off his back. Uragaan's back can be mined. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone else too.

edit: Ridley327 beating me like a drum.

So, what would you guys say are the required things to bring with you on a hunt besides potions, mega potions, sharpening stones, etc?

Power/Armour Charms. I'll usually bring Dung Bombs, Flash Bombs, Tranqs, Traps, Farcaster. In the end, I only have 5-6 free slots, but that's all I really need.

Mupod

Wait!...Can you carve at a monster when it falls over stunned?!

no. But some monsters have certain states where you can carve/mine/whatever.

Duramboros is one example, as mentioned. Uragaan, you can mine his back when he falls. Gobul's whiskers can be carved if you have balls of steel and catch him when he's lurking under the mud. Jhen Mohran has mining nodes on his back. Can catch fleas off Zinogre's back with a bugnet when he's tripped. That's all of them off the top of my head.

Ridley327

So, what would you guys say are the required things to bring with you on a hunt besides potions, mega potions, sharpening stones, etc?

Never hurts to bring a trap or two along; even if you aren't planning on capturing, they can get you some quality time with monsters without fear of immediate retaliation.

Mupod

my usual loadout:

10 potions
10 mega potions
20 whetstones
2 max potions
10 energy drinks
8 tranqs
99 Paintballs (I am like the only person online who uses paintballs, it's a habit)
1 pitfall
1 shock trap
1 farcaster (usually ends up being discarded in favor of carves, but it's nice to have)
powercharm/powertalon/armorcharm/armortalon
10 dungbombs (essential in high and g rank especially against deviljho)
3 lifepowder if in a group
5 hot and 5 cold drinks unless I am SERIOUSLY strapped for inventory space, I don't like being caught without them so I always bring both

I bring a single demondrug, armorskin or both if I'm fighting a serious monster and my food buff doesn't cover one of those things.

Sonics, flashbombs, nulberries, antidotes and such are situational and I bring them if necessary. I have basically unlimited resources of everything at this point so I use whatever I can for an edge.

I've mostly stopped using barrel bombs in g-rank but they are nice for multi monsters in the arena.

Purple Ludroth down. Yeesh, that poison! Had to take mega potions and regular potions for that hunt.

EDIT: Can SnS sprint with the sword unsheathed?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mine:

10 Potions
10 Mega Potions
3 Hot Drinks
3 Cold Drinks
5-10 Steaks
5 Tranq Bombs
1 Shock Trap
5 Mega Pickaxes
15+ Whetstones

I like having lots of room.

Narras

This is what I bring:

10 Potions
10 Mega Potions
2 Max Potions (in case I cart)
10 Well-done Steak
10 Dung Bomb
20 Whetstones
10 Honey
1 Shock Trap
4 Tranquilizer Bombs
1 Farcaster
Powercharm
Powertalon
Armorcharm
Armortalon
Book of Combos 1&2 (to make more Mega Potions)

If I didn't solo so much I'd probably bring less.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Mine:

10 Potions
10 Mega Potions
3 Hot Drinks
3 Cold Drinks
5-10 Steaks
5 Tranq Bombs
1 Shock Trap
5 Mega Pickaxes
15+ Whetstones

I like having lots of room.

Throw paintballs in and you have my pack for a hunt. Never know what you'll find out there so it's best to be prepared and have lots of room for random shit you never though you'd ever need.

ryz

I think MH3U is really a masterfully designed game, but there's one thing that just boggles my mind:

Dem motherfucking mega potion carves in multi monster quests. I always forget about them until my first tail carve usually, which is really frustrating. Of course most of the time i still have a full stack of mega potions so it's just a wasted carve.

Even worse when you carve the last monster in a quest three fucking times and the game basically says "oh hey, this could be the one drop you needed, but here are three potions instead, bye". This feels just so unsatisfying.

This game is about fucking item drops to improve one's gear! It would be like removing drops from bosses in Diablo III!

Someone will say "But ryz, without mega potion carves a) multi monster quests would be too hard and/or b) there would be too much drops"

there are so much more elegant solutions to these problems:

a)
1. monster health in multi monster quests is already reduced, why not reduce it even more?
2. Scale the monster's attack strength accordingly
3. Deliver more supply items after a certain time or when a monster was slain
4. Just leave HP/AP it as it is, because it's fucking monster hunter and supposed to be a challenge

b)
first of all, this is a retail game without an recurring subscription, so there's absolutely no incentive for capcom to keep people playing (and paying) so why even bother with OP drops? Hell, they're not even OP, just MORE, because i've fought MORE monsters. I can't even trade drops above rarity level 3!

1. Scale drop rates accordingly

/end of game design rant

RobbieNick

How come we have........

Farmers, you help give us extra bugs, mushrooms, plants and honey.

Fisherman, who help find us rare fish and treasures for cash.

But no miners? Mining for certain ores is just as tedious as those other things, but have the time I need Machelite or Pelagicrus ore certain weapons and armor and have to constantly go do mining for that stuff. It's tedious enough working to get new armor and weapons to hunt bigger monsters without having to deal with that.

Hoodbury

Lets see if I can remember off hand what I bring:

10 Potions
10 Mega potions
Powertalon
armortalon
~5 whetstones (so I can collect more if I mine them after a battle)
10 well done steaks
paintballs (however many I have)
5 mega pick axes
5 mega bug nets
Shock trap
Pitfall trap (just ran out of them, need more spider webs)
8 tranqs
1 Max potion (just added this for the tougher g-rank quests)

Depending on the quest and location I'll add hot/cold drinks, dung bombs, antidotes, etc.

I like to mine or catch bugs after the monster is dead in that free minute so I keep things relatively light. I should probably add a power and armor charm as well though. Maybe I'll buy those tonight and get them added.

P44

Trigger pulled on the MH3U LE 3DS XL. May have been a daft move considering I dont even know if I'll like MH, but it looks fun and I've enjoyed similar things supposedly.

Ridley327

How come we have........

Farmers, you help give us extra bugs, mushrooms, plants and honey.

Fisherman, who help find us rare fish and treasures for cash.

But no miners? Mining for certain ores is just as tedious as those other things, but have the time I need Machelite or Pelagicrus ore certain weapons and armor and have to constantly go do mining for that stuff. It's tedious enough working to get new armor and weapons to hunt bigger monsters without having to deal with that.

I think that you can kinda blame the in-game continuity, such as it is, for why there isn't a mining area that functions like the farm. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to find Bathycite or Pelagicite out of water (save Jhen), nor would a mining spot that produces fire-based ores make sense to be next to one that produces ice-based ores. Should there be one for the common stuff like Iron, Machalite Ore, and Earth Crystals? Absolutely, but harvest tours really aren't so bad, particularly if you remember to bring along Farcasters to make things go by faster.

Now, throwing in Whetstones in on those mining spots, on the other hand, is evil.

Hobohodo

Just took on two Great Jaggis at once.

I know in the grand scheme of things this will be nothing, but right now this feels like such an achievement.

Welp, just did the thing and saw the credits. The last few matchups were a tiny bit easier for me, and I owe it to two things (I think):

Aelucanth Set, and HG Earplugs/Antiseptic in particular. Helped me ignore Steel Uragaan and Brachydios' major attacks, and the defense was alright. Earplugs let me continue comboing forever with...

Dios Katana (and later +): I <3 Slime (when it isn't used on me). Saved me a few times, and with the amount of hits I could get in a short amount of time, I was regularly busting through monsters like nothing. Even Nargacuga, my old nemesis from Unite, fell before its slime, muahahaha. Sand Barioth? Nah. Steel Uragaan? *snort*. BLACK DIABLOS? ...well, this was tough at first, but slime won out in the end :)

As for Ivory Lagiacrus, it was a Cool Fight, he had tough attacks, but I bested him in the end with lots of slashing and slime (I was in purple for the majority of the fight), and stepping back. Thank goodness he's such a big land target...

The credits sequence was pretty funny (so that's how
the beginning of 3 happened
... lol), and I had to talk to everyone afterwards, of course.

Fishmongress:
I mean, how many hours can one person hunt monsters before they get bored? ...Don't answer that.

lolol

Hoodbury

Why do you guys bring potions without Honey?
I combine Potions and Honey on the spot to create more Mega Potions if I'm ever running low on them.

Sometimes you only lose a little health but want to top off. Don't need mega for that and seems a waste.

I heal basically after anytime I get hit, so I use the type of potion based on how much health I lost. 8/10 times a regular potion does enough. (except now on some of these higher g-rank quests, damn they hit hard)

Another reason is the saved pack space. Don't need to carry the extra honey or combo books.

ace3skoot

7 g-rank raths

5 g-rank azure raths

broke both wings every time, not a single rath ripper...

dat desire sensor and i only bloody need one :p

P44

By the way, any tips for someone that is new? Like anything that won't really be explained ingame but is helpful?

Ken

CGD2-56338_01.jpg

Electroys Monster Hunter 1/12 Hunter USB Tabletop Fan

burgerdog

What weapon/armor set did you use to beat Mark of a Hero, burger? I might try it naked just for a challenge. I think it's doable.

Helios/Selene X with Kelbi.
HG Earplugs
Awaken
Marathon Runner
Partbreaker
Focus

What's funny is that I spent five hours making that set and ultimately I ended up killing Ivory a lot slower with it. I was previously using the S.Zino + Worldseer bow, I should have just kept at it with that one. And yeah, I think it's totally doable naked, Ivory did not hit me once and my two deaths were a result of looking at the time and worrying about running out of time. It made me take a lot of risky shots. Make sure you record your naked run!

Copenap

Today I realised there is something called body catves+. Is that automatically the case from high rank onwards or hiw can I see that? In my specific case I need freeze sacs and had to realise that I'm only getting frost sacs from my low rank Barioth.

Ken

Today I realised there is something called body catves+. Is that automatically the case from high rank onwards or hiw can I see that? In my specific case I need freeze sacs and had to realise that I'm only getting frost sacs from my low rank Barioth.

Find a loot guide or that app thing someone posted.

Ridley327

High rank monsters drop high rank parts, like what you're describing. G-rank monsters also drop their own parts, too.

DaBoss

I'm a bit late, but I wanna share:
10 Potions
10 Mega Potions
2 Max Potions
8 Tranq Bombs
1 Pifall Trap
1 Shock Trap
5 Mega Pickaxes
20 Whetstones
1 Armortalon

And bring a few other stuff depending on the quest.

Haunted

Any recommendations on Blademaster armour with the FreeElement/Awaken skill? I haven't found any charms with it yet. :(

I kinda want to find a use for all those weapons without elements/status I have.

I'm a bit late, but I wanna share:
10 Potions
10 Mega Potions
8 Tranq Bombs
1 Pifall Trap
1 Shock Trap
5 Mega Pickaxes
20 Whetstones
1 Armortalon

And bring a few other stuff depending on the quest.
For G-Rank/online, I also always bring 2 Max Potions. Lifesavers to get back up to 150 health when you or someone else faints.

Ultratech

Any recommendations on Blademaster armour with the FreeElement/Awaken skill? I haven't found any charms with it yet. :(

I kinda want to find a use for all those weapons without elements/status I have.

Lagiacrus X or Gigginox X are good choices.

Lagiacrus X gives you Awaken, Focus, Weakness Exploit, and Status Atk Down.

Gigginox X gives you Awaken, Status Atk +2, Razor Sharp, and Element Atk Down. (Can probably gem/charm for Evasion +1)

There's also Helios/Selene X (w/HG Earplugs and Partbreaker), Duramboros Z (Guts, Atk Up S, Evasion Down), Artian X (Awaken, Guard Up; a pain to get since you need Rusted and Long Fragments to craft!).

Gigginox isn't too hard to make, and there's an Advance quest with 3 of 'em (which you can actually carve for parts and not Mega Potions!).
Helios/Selene is pretty good, but requires quite a few rare mats.
Artian is interesting in that it's only a 3-piece set, and you technically don't have to kill anything to get it. But the fragments can be a pain to get.

Haunted

Lagiacrus X or Gigginox X are good choices.

Lagiacrus X gives you Awaken, Focus, Weakness Exploit, and Status Atk Down.

Gigginox X gives you Awaken, Status Atk +2, Razor Sharp, and Element Atk Down. (Can probably gem/charm for Evasion +1)

There's also Heilos/Selene X (w/HG Earplugs and Partbreaker), Duramboros Z (Guts, Atk Up S, Evasion Down), Artian X (Awaken, Guard Up; a pain to get since you need Rusted and Long Fragments to craft!).
hm, something to think about, I like it. Lagiacrus X sounds good, I'm not a huge fan of fighting him, but it might be worth farming for a bit to get this skill (without a charm).

Thanks a lot! :)

burgerdog

Use a Farcaster every time it gets in the air. When you come back out it'll be on the ground.

I was able to last 45 minutes with this so it definitely helped. Now I have to figure out a way to deal more damage, it shouldn't take me that long to kill it. I think 25-30 mins would be ideal as a first kill. If I'm going 40+, then I'm making too many mistakes/not dealing enough damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom