• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajim

Waiting in a lobby for 40 minutes trying to get people to help with my Dire Miralis Urgent lol.

Outlook: Not great.

L Thammy

Anyone doing a lot of gathering and minings runs should forge a Bariguiro. Heat and cold cancel (no more drinks!), then boost your movement speed.

By the way, any tips for someone that is new? Like anything that won't really be explained ingame but is helpful?

There's a ton of things to learn, so it's better if you just ask when you have a problem. But I'll try:

- If you're using melee weapons, watch your sharpness. Invest in weapons with good sharpness.
- Don't get yourself hit just to get more attacks in.
- Not all weapons rely on combos.
- Learn the monster's patterns. For example, they'll always escape to the same place. Some attacks they tend to repeat two or three times in a row.
- Once you feel comfortable, try to learn about armour skills. They're much more important than your defense stat.

EDIT: I've damned us to Community! D:

Boogiepop

Haha, oh god. Was doing 8 star village quests and decided to do the Nibelsnarf one. Needless to say, a Diablos decided to join the party and the two combined their powers to lock me in a corner with a constant stream of jumps out of the ground till I died. Fortunately I still easily cleared the quest, so it ended up being more humorous than devastating, but damn can it ever get crazy when two monsters decide to hang out on the same screen.

Hi everyone! I've noticed something is up with my game. I'm currently using Wroggi S, full set, but on the Active Skills screen only 2 skills are active, even though all the skills have +10.

Is my game glitched?

ryz

FINALLY a brachy gem dropped

today is best day

0389_oz618.gif

Chuckpebble

Start off in the cave right next to his nest. I engaged him in 6, turtled him pretty good. Finally, I needed to sharpen the gunlance, so I lay a shock trap and sharpen with it between us for protection, he's drooling now too, so it would have been sweet if he strolled in there. Of course he flies away to the adjacent cave. I then took out both claws and chopped his tail like 1 2 3 and sent him limping back to my shock trap, which he happened to land right in for an easy cap! Sooooo goooood.

What skills are they?

I'm supposed to have
Negate Poison
Shakalaka Rally
Speed Eating +1
Horn Maestro
Razor Sharp

but the last 3 don't show up. I'm pretty sure they're not active either because horn skills don't last as long as they should with it and I'm eating normal rate.

ajim

After an hour waiting in a lobby for a team to do Dire Miralis I finally get an awesome team, and 5 Dire Miralis later am rocking some of his armour and his weapon.

Feelsgoodman

Sorry about the delay... 135 hours of playing will do that!

Hi all! Finally wanted to say hello to all of you! My brother and I are proud MonHun 3DS owners, although I play on the XL with CPP and he on my old 3DS (hand me down or not, it is his Monster Hunter player!)

Just wanted to say hello... and also brag about my brother's newest project: Monster Hunter Monsters, starting with The bird wyverns! What is this? Well, my brother makes custom clay things (Megabloks, Lego, ponies, etc...) So far, he made a Gobul! With a removable tail! Pics to share...

(Note, he is aware of the size differentiation... the scale is alright, but some proportions are off.. but based upon a minifig being equal to a 6 foot man, or something)

Sorry to spam pics/links... grinding for Lagi claws.. I swear I have STUPID luck! First Jinorgua I fight? First carve? A Jasper!!!! Sapphire for Lagi? Two already (and three plates), But CLAWS/Claw +'s ? I GET NOTHING!!!

(This is why I killed over 150 in Tri as well... plus.. I like Lagi! ;p )
Awesome job! Love it. If you ever want suggestions to make it better, you know who to call.

burgerdog

I have to say, I think I've managed to break free from its iron grip. I no longer want to play the game every waking moment. Pretty incredible that it lasted almost a month, I'll still play it, for sure. It'll probably just be an hour or so a day.

So where do you guys scope out the armors you want to go after? The wiki doesn't seem to be complete. I just wasted hours grinding the full Agnaktor Z set, only to realize that the skills are completely useless to me as a dual swords user. I would like to avoid this in the future.

burgerdog

So where do you guys scope out the armors you want to go after? The wiki doesn't seem to be complete. I just wasted hours grinding the full Agnaktor Z set, only to realize that the skills are completely useless to me as a dual swords user. I would like to avoid this in the future.

Yooooooooo, press R or L a few times on an item to scroll over to its skill set.

Congrats on a wonderful lancer set, now go make a kick ass lance!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I think it's the last page of the info box when you scope it out at the smith.

Yeah but that only shows the skills for each individual piece... I'd like to know the final tally of an entire set's skills, and how many total gem slots, etc. Just looking at a single piece makes it hard to tell if the full set is going to be +10 or +15. Big difference there. I'd like to be able to compare different sets against each other to decide what to farm next.

Yooooooooo, press R or L a few times on an item to scroll over to its skill set.

Congrats on a wonderful lancer set, now go make a kick ass lance!
Note if you're wearing blademaster armor, gunner skills won't show up when comparing (in the armor forge) and vice versa, wearing gunner armor won't show you blademaster skills in the armor forge.

Yeah but that only shows the skills for each individual piece... I'd like to know the final tally of an entire set's skills, and how many total gem slots, etc. Just looking at a single piece makes it hard to tell if the full set is going to be +10 or +15. Big difference there. I'd like to be able to compare different sets against each other to decide what to farm next.
Ohh.. uh... wikia? I guess?

burgerdog

Use the wikia, like mentioned before or add up the values yourself. It's not bad given that there's only 5 pieces.

Sanctuary

So, is there something that gives your boats a temporary boost to stars? My third boat had three for a few trips and somehow is now back down to two. I wasn't giving them any help items either.

I kinda missed MHFU so I dusted off my PSP. It's been too long.

It made me wish Capcom put more effort on the icons. I love that every icon is sharp, not just blurry globs. Lack of bloom was an improvement too.

So I got up to HR3 and then took a week off, so I dusted it off and started playing post TV patch...did they do something to the optimization? It seems to run at a much higher framerate now.

panda21

I tried doing the 5 star Moga Urgent where shakalaka is fighting the durambolos and i couldnt it in the 50 minutes :(

i thought i was well prepared since I just made a weapon with 3 monster bone+ that you shouldn't even have if you were only playing the singleplayer (quropeco trumpet or something).

Shakalaka got 'killed' right near the start and then was just lying on the floor for the rest of it. i thought maybe i was supposed to revive him but i couldnt figure out how.

am i doing something wrong? I did use the pitfall trap it gave me and that seemed super useful since it was vulnerable for ages.

do i need to start doing stuff like bringing my own pitfall traps/bombs at this stage?

Peru

i thought i was well prepared since I just made a weapon with 3 monster bone+ that you shouldn't even have if you were only playing the singleplayer (quropeco trumpet or something).

This isn't advice to you, just an association I got from your post.

At certain moments in the game, especially solo, you realize the importance of actually fighting well and staying focused on doing the right things. I've experienced upgrading weapons and expecting walkover fights but ending up spending basically the same amount of time/wasting more potions on a monster. Why? Because I'm less careful, more cocky, reverting to hack and slash tactics.

Fighting with the leather armour for much of the low rank village part was a liberating experience that got me really zoned in on playing just defensively enough. I now sometimes have to remind myself that this is how I should play even with a new equipment set. It's also sad to see yourself go dumb and impatient after a monster starts limping and lose more potions in the last minutes than the rest of the fight before it.

You see lots of it from online players of course - people who've grinded up a heavy old weapon yet can't fight smart for shit.

Sorry for the digression here. As for Durambo, yeah, people have had some issues with how much health he has. Just stay relatively aggressive and try to read his spins so you can get up on him as much as possible. When he hits his tail around stay around his legs attacking.

panda21

This isn't advice to you, just an association I got from your post.

At certain moments in the game, especially solo, you realize the importance of actually fighting well and staying focused on doing the right things. I've experienced upgrading weapons and expecting walkover fights but ending up spending basically the same amount of time/wasting more potions on a monster. Why? Because I'm less careful, more cocky, reverting to hack and slash tactics.

Fighting with the leather armour for much of the low rank village part was a liberating experience that got me really zoned in on playing just defensively enough. I now sometimes have to remind myself that this is how I should play even with a new equipment set. It's also sad to see yourself go dumb and impatient after a monster starts limping and lose more potions in the last minutes than the rest of the fight before it.

You see lots of it from online players of course - people who've grinded up a heavy old weapon yet can't fight smart for shit.

Sorry for the digression here. As for Durambo, yeah, people have had some issues with how much health he has. Just stay relatively aggressive and try to read his spins so you can get up on him as much as possible. When he hits his tail around stay around his legs attacking.

thats interesting, i've definitely noticed for weaker monsters like Jaggi and Arzuros I can wreck them without trying too hard with upgraded gear, but other monsters like lagicrus are still not easy even if you feel like you've over levelled your equipment. you can get punished super hard if you get caught off guard with a lot of the monsters

i don't think i even made duramboros limp, might have to resort to traps, although that sort of feels like cheating

King_Moc

Banned
I tried doing the 5 star Moga Urgent where shakalaka is fighting the durambolos and i couldnt it in the 50 minutes :(

Shakalaka got 'killed' right near the start and then was just lying on the floor for the rest of it. i thought maybe i was supposed to revive him but i couldnt figure out how.

am i doing something wrong? I did use the pitfall trap it gave me and that seemed super useful since it was vulnerable for ages.

do i need to start doing stuff like bringing my own pitfall traps/bombs at this stage?

When he's upright, his hind legs and tail take the most damage. When he's on his side, get his back. Completely ignore the front half of him, it's got insane defence.

panda21

When he's upright, his hind legs and tail take the most damage. When he's on his side, get his back. Completely ignore the front half of him, it's got insane defence.

oh i was focussing on his head, maybe thats why? i did manage to break his horns though

Liethe

oCUwlXd.png

Finished my H.Jhen set yesterday. Truly it is a thing of beauty. Also it has the "impossible" combination of skills: Razor Sharp and Sharpness +1 on the same set. Can you say "efficiency"?

It also has Health+50 but nevermind that. >_>

Fistwell

Yeah. The better one is what you get w/ sharpness+1 skill.

oCUwlXd.png

Finished my H.Jhen set yesterday. Truly it is a thing of beauty. Also it has the "impossible" combination of skills: Razor Sharp and Sharpness +1 on the same set. Can you say "efficiency"?

It also has Health+50 but nevermind that. >_>
Looking good.

The first is the usual sharpness, the second is when you have the Sharpness+1 skill active, which raises you weapon's natural sharpness to a higher level.

Better sharp weapons usually correspond with higher rarity, which means more upgrading with higher rank parts. Certain weapons are pretty sharp for their rarity, but in general that's what you'll have to do.

ace3skoot

is there a list of all the armor pieces with torso inc on them anywhere?

or if you really want to do all the work for me is there a waist/coil piece thats not vangis x gear that has torso inc.?

Would Megrez's Asterism long sword which has 50% affinity combined with Crit Eye+3 be be a good option without Awakening (adds 200 poison damage)?

I'm pessimistic on ever finding Free Element +7 so I'm not counting on it

Chuckpebble

As stated above, one is the sharpness bar with handicraft applied. For some weapons, that skill puts the weapon into a higher sharpness level, adding a considerable amount of power as well as allowing you to hit parts on monsters that would previously make you bounce. These are the weapons you want to use with that skill (handicraft/sharpness +1). Other weapons just get a longer top sharpness color, basically this is just a really expensive version of the skill that halves the rate at which you're weapon dulls (sharpness).

panda21

damn it i had durambo limping and moving to the last area to sleep but i ran out of time trying to finish him

i might try a different weapon, finding it really hard to get many hits in with the hunting horn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom