• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game is dangerously fun. Transferring saves between the Wii U and 3DS is really awesome too. :D

Edit: Fuck the type on the 3DS though, it is nearly impossible to read. How did something like that go through localization/testing process without it changing?

Peru

damn it i had durambo limping and moving to the last area to sleep but i ran out of time trying to finish him

i might try a different weapon, finding it really hard to get many hits in with the hunting horn.

Hunting horn might not be the easiest weapon type, yeah.

DaBoss

I'm supposed to have
Negate Poison
Shakalaka Rally
Speed Eating +1
Horn Maestro
Razor Sharp

but the last 3 don't show up. I'm pretty sure they're not active either because horn skills don't last as long as they should with it and I'm eating normal rate.

If you have +10 on them, they should show up. Mind taking a picture of the Active Skills and the Skill points screen to see what's happening?

L Thammy

The desire sensor has been upgraded since Tri. Now I'm getting RNG screwed out of four items at once!

Doesn't have every set.

*sigh*

If Capcom has a clue they'll release a catalog mobile app/eBook day-and-date with MH4 for like $10. This information should be a lot easier to find.

The thing is, the need for information causes people to ask questions. Asking questions causes players to communicate. That's part of how the series develops a strong community.

Ultratech

is there a list of all the armor pieces with torso inc on them anywhere?

or if you really want to do all the work for me is there a waist/coil piece thats not vangis x gear that has torso inc.?

Regular Vangis has it, I think. Still need a Gem for it though. :|

There's also:
-Skull Mask/Visage (HR8 - Need Elder Dragonbones)
-Volvidon Leggings S/X
-Sailor Socks/Sandals (Female Only)
-Scholar Socks/Sandals S/X (Female Only)
-Guild Bard Getters/Boots S/X (Male Only)
-Uragaan Greaves S/X
-Arzuros Greaves S/X
-Alloy Leggings X

That should cover everything for HR/G-Rank, I think.

The desire sensor has been upgraded since Tri. Now I'm getting RNG screwed out of four items at once!

Here's a hint: Don't go after something...the Desire Sensor will screw you over so much. :D

Besides, I must've appeased the RNG gods last night. Did the Advanced Quest with Azure/Pink and came out with a Los Mantle and Ruby from breaks.

Mileena

Banned
Here's a hint: Don't go after something...the Desire Sensor will screw you over so much. :D

Besides, I must've appeased the RNG gods last night. Did the Advanced Quest with Azure/Pink and came out with a Los Mantle and Ruby from breaks.

Thats the one that gave me 3 Rath Medullas. I now have a total of 24 Rath Medullas!

:/

AIRic

Hi MH3 GAF! I want to buy this game for my 3DS, but I didn't liked the demo much. I never played this series before and it seems fun, but something is still blocking me from buying it. Maybe it's the lack of progression from the demo. Would you say that the game has a good sense of progression (character, difficulty, learning new gameplay) and at least a little tiny bit of hand-holding in the first hour?

L Thammy

It's not desire if you don't want it.

george_costanza006.jpg

vareon

Hi MH3 GAF! I want to buy this game for my 3DS, but I didn't liked the demo much. I never played this series before and it seems fun, but something is still blocking me from buying it. Maybe it's the lack of progression from the demo.

I'll try to answer these two:

Would you say that the game has a good sense of progression (character, difficulty, learning new gameplay)

Yes, definitely. There's plenty of equipments to craft to enhance your characters' stats and you will always get the "I was THIS close to get this stuff!" and "Ooooh new stuff! Let's see how this do" feelings. But the true magic of the game is how you, not your stats, progress through the game. You'd be surprised at how you can defeat a monster at less the time in the second try using the exact same equipment.

and at least a little tiny bit of hand-holding in the first hour?

Hand-holding in the form of easier quests and monsters. The game throws a lot at you in the first hour but you'll only need to focus on a few things just before you really get into the game. When you do, this thread always helps.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hi MH3 GAF! I want to buy this game for my 3DS, but I didn't liked the demo much. I never played this series before and it seems fun, but something is still blocking me from buying it. Maybe it's the lack of progression from the demo. Would you say that the game has a good sense of progression (character, difficulty, learning new gameplay) and at least a little tiny bit of hand-holding in the first hour?

No. It really doesn't. There are a half dozen mechanics and interface things that it barely even mentions. Its brutal.
But its worth it

Boogiepop

Anyone up for grinding Goldbeard? I was thinking of making the set before trying to dig into G-rank stuff.

Edit: Also may want to do some Canteen quests, as I completely didn't pay attention to those in the past and as such I'm sure I've missed some.

Made a room in 3-9, named GafGold.

Jhen Mohran is kind of fun, but hard :-(

I'm on 9-star and it's the only quest I've failed before. Succeeded once, though. Is it like other elder dragons where its health is consistent between quests? All the parts I broke restored when I went back after repelling him, then I failed after breaking his back twice and both legs. I missed the first Dragonator shot, though.

Also, I totally pulled a Shadow of the Colossus jump, he launched me from one side of his back to the other with one of his shrugs.

RobbieNick

I tried doing the 5 star Moga Urgent where shakalaka is fighting the durambolos and i couldnt it in the 50 minutes :(

i thought i was well prepared since I just made a weapon with 3 monster bone+ that you shouldn't even have if you were only playing the singleplayer (quropeco trumpet or something).

Shakalaka got 'killed' right near the start and then was just lying on the floor for the rest of it. i thought maybe i was supposed to revive him but i couldnt figure out how.

am i doing something wrong? I did use the pitfall trap it gave me and that seemed super useful since it was vulnerable for ages.

do i need to start doing stuff like bringing my own pitfall traps/bombs at this stage?

He's a big dummy with really easy tells, but his health is enormous. I just fought him for the second time to get some parts from him and I killed him with only a minute left because I was focusing on his tail instead of killing him.

Duramboros: Easy to evade, hard to kill.

Spent ages gathering mats for giggi x armour for the free element skill, only to have a +7 free element charm on the quest I gather the last of the mats needed to mke the full set.

also

Banned
Do advanced quest have a higher likehood of King/mini monsters appearing? I got a crown almost every time I did one.

Yeah but that only shows the skills for each individual piece... I'd like to know the final tally of an entire set's skills, and how many total gem slots, etc. Just looking at a single piece makes it hard to tell if the full set is going to be +10 or +15. Big difference there. I'd like to be able to compare different sets against each other to decide what to farm next.

I use this.
http://www.mh3-ultimate.com/page/Armors

Rize_21

Why do some Japanese players bomb themselves through doorways?

It's hilarious to see... but I don't get it.

In this way,you don't have to wait for the animation to end.It's extremely useful!
For example,if you know that the monster is in the next area,you put a mini barrel bomb,take a power/armor seed(very quickly) to maximize the time limit of these items,or when you drink a mega/potion,you'll only lose a slight part of life and be safe from any attack,ridiculous yet awesome way to escape from a deadly combo.

is there a list of all the armor pieces with torso inc on them anywhere?

or if you really want to do all the work for me is there a waist/coil piece thats not vangis x gear that has torso inc.?

Arzuros+X+S Greaves
Alloy+S Greaves
Uragaan+S+X Greaves
Guild Bard/Scholar+S+X Greaves
Vangis Coil
Volvidon+S+X
Skull Mask

So I am curious.... I picked this game up for my wii u this morning, and now I am thinking about getting the 3ds version as well. Is it worth having both? Can somebody explain the perks/ advantages to having both and how they work together... If they do. Thanks!

So I am curious.... I picked this game up for my wii u this morning, and now I am thinking about getting the 3ds version as well. Is it worth having both? Can somebody explain the perks/ advantages to having both and how they work together... If they do. Thanks!

They're both really the same game, if you own both however, you can move your save file between the two, which would be good if you move around a lot, and use a portable system more. The 3DS version can only do online if you use a special program on the WiiU to communicate with it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They're both really the same game, if you own both however, you can move your save file between the two, which would be good if you move around a lot, and use a portable system more. The 3DS version can only do online if you use a special program on the WiiU to communicate with it.

This. It means you can hunt where ever you go, even at work. Your boss wont like it, unless he's also a hunter. Then he'll be happy he's got someone to hunt with, you might even get a raise.

Boogiepop

BTW, is there a good visual indicator for when you break (goldbeard) cadeus' beard? I saw him do a recoil that looked like I broke it, but I couldn't tell by looking at him.

Zornica

Banned
It seems near impossible to find a good farm party for zinogre or nargacuga today... every party so far sucked, and the ones that didn't dissolved after one go :(

Mupod

man I was terrified of gunning in g-rank but my total death count using an HBG so far is 1 against Lucent Narga. And that one was some ridiculous bullshit.

Also discovered how easily you can KO with crag level 2 today. Loving the L.Narga HBG and haven't had much reason to even try a different one. I wanna try and get pierce up or normal up on my gunner set though.

I also want a status LBG set just so I can use the kettleblower. If you can make this thing, do it just to try it out. I guarantee hilarity.

Mileena

Banned
so who is to blame for our US version being censored so harshly compared to EU? I always think you guys are saying something completely different lol

Fewr

Ah Plesioth old nemesis from the demo, we meet again. This time I've been through Lagiacrus, Duramboros and Rathalos. I've also got a fire sword eager to turn you into sushi. Grrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom