• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerdog

Ah Plesioth old nemesis from the demo, we meet again. This time I've been through Lagiacrus, Duramboros and Rathalos. I've also got a fire sword eager to turn you into sushi. Grrrrrrr

I could not beat plesioth in the demo, so when I wrecked him in 7 minutes on the retail disc I couldn't be happier with my skill progression.

ramyeon

Taking a break from online and finishing off my neglected village quests was a good choice. Feels good to be taking on monsters solo even if the quests are a bit easier than G rank stuff. Gonna finish off tonight and head back onto the online portion this week.

Should I be focusing on raw or elemental or both for HH? I want to do some farming and my highest current raw is 874 but I also have Magia Charm with 552 raw + DR360. I'm playing solo right now so buffs don't matter to me at the moment.

Mupod

Should I be focusing on raw or elemental or both for HH? I want to do some farming and my highest current raw is 874 but I also have Magia Charm with 552 raw + DR360. I'm playing solo right now so buffs don't matter to me at the moment.

HH is weird. Elemental is fine - you hit a lot more often than hammers. But song set actually takes priority.

And yes they do matter. Attack up small is I think 15% raw damage, which is actually pretty huge.

Fun fact: I have 1950 damage with my grongigas hammer when Beats uses his attack up large. With partbreaker I pretty much break sand barioth's tusks in one super pound.

In this way,you don't have to wait for the animation to end.It's extremely useful!
For example,if you know that the monster is in the next area,you put a mini barrel bomb,take a power/armor seed(very quickly) to maximize the time limit of these items,or when you drink a mega/potion,you'll only lose a slight part of life and be safe from any attack,ridiculous yet awesome way to escape from a deadly combo.

Ahh I see, odd as it is it now makes perfect sense!

Thanks a lot for the explanation :)

Quote this post to see the links and server/lobby info:

View everyone's NNID · Add your NNID · North American Server Info

Every time you want to hunt online with other members, you either warp using your Friend List, or you can Create A Room in the above.[/indent][/indent][/QUOTE]

My nintendo network ID is "Therealbeatris"

I am into the single player finished the 1 and 2 star quests, looking to play around online, should I start doing online now, or maybe wait, I am super new to playing online, and do not get it at all! Thanks in advance for your patience, and help!

ramyeon

Rathian and Rathalos are by far my least favourite monster to hunt. It's not even the tail whip and incessant need to poison me, it's that damn charge. I'll be running towards them to attack them, be right near them and they'll charge Kayamba or Chacha, knocking me down and running all the way across the field :/

The damage is negligible but it's just so annoying since they use it so often.

Boogiepop

Anyone up for helping me grind some Goldbeard furs?
I've made a room named GafBeardBr, in 3-9.

Everyone else just emptied out, but I still need four more furs (and 5 luminous organs, which for some reason he will NOT drop! Any better way to get those?)
Anyway, still room if anyone wants to help out.

Ah that was fun. Went back to Ceadeus to complete the last uncompleted LR quest I had, slashed him up bad, and got two Deep Dragongems - didn't even know I wanted them :D

Of course, this would've been handy had I been just starting out on HR, rather than after I had 'completed' it...

ramyeon

Everyone else just emptied out, but I still need four more furs (and 5 luminous organs, which for some reason he will NOT drop! Any better way to get those?)
Anyway, still room if anyone wants to help out.
No better way than killing Goldbeard. Organs actually drop really often for me, stockpiled way too many :/ furs are the pain.

Man the home stretch in the village quests are all the monsters I hate haha. B.Diablos, G.Agna and S.Uragaan all one after another... 1 down 2 to go.

Boogiepop

No better way than killing Goldbeard. Organs actually drop really often for me, stockpiled way too many :/ furs are the pain.

Man the home stretch in the village quests are all the monsters I hate haha. B.Diablos, G.Agna and S.Uragaan all one after another... 1 down 2 to go.

I've beaten like 6 or 7 Goldbeards today and not a single organ. Funny thing is, I got the gems pretty much right off the bat. Oh well, guess I'll just use the skills that optimize the rewards screen and hope I get lucky. Still need a few more furs anyway.

ryz

Finished all Moga Village quests today and unlocked Mark of a Hero. Boy did Lagiacrus one-shot me with a nice zap of his shellshocker.

Currently working on unlocking G rank, just beat Ivory Lagiacrus in Tanzia, HR5 now.

HH is weird. Elemental is fine - you hit a lot more often than hammers. But song set actually takes priority.

And yes they do matter. Attack up small is I think 15% raw damage, which is actually pretty huge.

Fun fact: I have 1950 damage with my grongigas hammer when Beats uses his attack up large. With partbreaker I pretty much break sand barioth's tusks in one super pound.

Dang, I didn't know that. Okay. I was just wondering because I was getting ready to farm some things for materials and was wondering if Elemental weaknesses made a huge difference. Okay, thanks :)

Ultratech

Decided to work on some of the Port quests solo since my internet was acting up.

Got HR2, 3, and 5 done. Still like 3 quests on HR4, and one on HR1. (Gotta get them checkmarks!)

Still gotta work on Village stuff, but I've been kinda lazy. Think I'm up to 7* quests there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So... any difference between selecting "solo" and "multi" in Tanzia?, do Monsters have less HP and attack for less on solo?.

Solo Tanzia monsters have the same HP as their Moga counterparts, but the same attack (double) as Tanzia Multi.

I think.

ramyeon

So I just killed I.lagi in the village quests, I wanted to cap him and saw him try to limp off back to area 7, so I went first and lay my trap. He didn't come so I went back and he was stuck limping in the gap between the wall and a rock in the Jaggi area lol. He couldn't move out at all and just kept trying to limp forward so I had to kill it :(

But oh man that ending movie with Chacha and Kayamba LOL

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Volvidon went down like a little bitch, it seems like the only tough 5-star fight is Lagi. Of course the fight to open up more quests is the capture of Lagi in the goddamn swamp. Luckily I crafted up some Durambos armor, it has water, lightning and dragon resist so it should make the fight a lot easier. Plus it heals the red portion of damage so fast it makes me feel immortal. Gonna make some Lagi armor after the catch for the fire guys that I have no doubt will be coming up next, since the Duram armor isn't resistant to it.

ramyeon

Is there an artbook for Tri G? The concept art in this credits sequence is amazing.

Edit: okay there is but only with insane postage prices lol.

Epic story within.
I finally killed Alatreon. I've tried a few times before and today I attempted it four times. Final fight I went in with healing potions, max potions, and an ancient potion; mega dash, demon, and armor; honey, mushrooms, herbs, and had my Brachy longsword boosted with pyro. By the end of it I'd carted twice, cut the tail, and used up every potion but one mega potion. I hope Alatreon becomes available online because I swear that's the only way I'll ever fight it again.

Defunkled

Quick question from someone who hasn't played a Monster Hunter game since the PS2 original: can you still headlock some of the wyverns? I remember locking down Rathalos to a single spot for 10 minutes with the Black Dragon Lance.

ramyeon

Is it just me or is it impossible to get out of being pinned down in solo? Jho just ate me alive and no matter how fast I mashed buttons it didn't help. The mechanic seems so broken.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So for the OT2, what should I add? I know a beginner's section has been requested but I'm unsure what to put there.

I'd also like to add a section listing all the DLC and denoting this week's releases.

Is it just me or is it impossible to get out of being pinned down in solo? Jho just ate me alive and no matter how fast I mashed buttons it didn't help. The mechanic seems so broken.

I break out of it with Giggi and Ian quite quickly. I mash A and rotate the left stick as fast as possible.

ramyeon

That's why you always bring dungbombs. Some food skills also help.
How do dung bombs help you from being pinned down?

Edit: took him down anyway, so frustrating when you lay a trap to capture him but he charges and knocks you down, getting trapped but not giving you enough time to get over and tranq him :( got a gem and saliva from the kill anyway though.

ramyeon

Throw it while you're pinned and you get out immediately.
Oh wow, how did I not know that? Guess I assumed all your items would be unusable.

So now I've completed most of the village, besides Alatreon. Don't really feel like going back and completing all the past quests to unlock all of that though. Maybe at some point. HR38 online so it almost feels like I've done everything at 140 odd hours. Guess from here it's just time to farm more sets and get my skill up in the meantime.

Boogiepop

Thank GOD, finally finished a set of Goldbeard armor, so I'll be ready for G rank stuff. That was... a long day. I have like 100 shards, but it took soooooooooooo long to get enough furs. I even have about 10 of the dark gems sitting around. Goddamn those stupid furs so, so hard. Don't think I ever want to fight a Ceadeus again, lol. Thanks to everyone who helped me grind the damn thing over the course of the day.

Sanctuary

Does anyone know if there's a list somewhere of the pre-G Rank armor sets that show the stats of each individual piece? It's kind of annoying right now having to wait until you have enough materials to get full sets to show up, and then having to write everything down if you're going after specific skills, instead of just complete sets. The wiki has that for G Rank stuff, but nothing before it.

I know dung bombs work, but I am either too lazy or simply don't want to worry about that extra slot preventing me from grabbing something else, so I rarely take them. I don't mash buttons to get out of being pinned though. You spin the L analog (Wii U anyway) rapidly and you're out in a few seconds. Probably not that much longer than it would take you to scroll through the damn item menu to find the bomb either, although I think being pinned increases your chances at being dizzy. Mashing buttons works for being dizzy, but I've never had it do anything for being pinned.

ramyeon

I know dung bombs work, but I am either too lazy or simply don't want to worry about that extra slot preventing me from grabbing something else, so I rarely take them. I don't mash buttons to get out of being pinned though. You spin the L analog (Wii U anyway) rapidly and you're out in a few seconds. Probably not that much longer than it would take you to scroll through the damn item menu to find the bomb either, although I think being pinned increases your chances at being dizzy. Mashing buttons works for being dizzy, but I've never had it do anything for being pinned.
Doesn't work with Jho for me. I always mash buttons and rotate the stick, it moves very slowly with Jho. And I always have dung bombs since high rank/G rank since unwanted monsters appear really often. Just never even thought of using them like I said above lol thought that item use would be locked when pinned.

Sanctuary

I've put about two hours into this and I'm not really feelin it. Does it get better?

Depends on the person, and it also depends on the weapons you're using. From personal experience some weapons are simply not worth bothering with offline, or prior to having a high level armor set with skills that remove some of the suckage. It might also take you a while to get used to the terrible camera in this game (it's way too fucking close, even at it's farthest).

You might try jumping straight to online after crafting a few upgrades and ignoring offline. Otherwise, I'd suggest trying the Sword and Shield, Longsword or Lance as your offline weapons. Hammer too if you want a no-range and no tail-cutting weapon that's pretty powerful.

TheBear

Depends on the person, and it also depends on the weapons you're using. From personal experience some weapons are simply not worth bothering with offline, or prior to having a high level armor set with skills that remove some of the suckage. It might also take you a while to get used to the terrible camera in this game (it's way too fucking close, even at it's farthest).

You might try jumping straight to online after crafting a few upgrades and ignoring offline. Otherwise, I'd suggest trying the Sword and Shield, Longsword or Lance as your offline weapons. Hammer too if you want a no-range and no tail-cutting weapon that's pretty powerful.

So I can just skip offline altogether?

jercruz

Epic story within.
I finally killed Alatreon. I've tried a few times before and today I attempted it four times. Final fight I went in with healing potions, max potions, and an ancient potion; mega dash, demon, and armor; honey, mushrooms, herbs, and had my Brachy longsword boosted with pyro. By the end of it I'd carted twice, cut the tail, and used up every potion but one mega potion. I hope Alatreon becomes available online because I swear that's the only way I'll ever fight it again.

i farmed it solo before i got to g rank :)

rustshard lance, b.diablos set. 5 dash juice and materials to make 5 more. guard+2 and know when to counter. the pattern is to last enough until the ballista is recharged, then bring it down from flight.

the fun part is making a lance from it and using it to kill it faster lol

ramyeon

So I can just skip offline altogether?
I wouldn't if it's your first MonHun. I found the offline quests the perfect introduction to the game and they got me ready for the online stuff. Once you get up to the high rank stuff in the village you'll be more than good to go and will have some good equipment as well.

jercruz

Does anyone know if there's a list somewhere of the pre-G Rank armor sets that show the stats of each individual piece? It's kind of annoying right now having to wait until you have enough materials to get full sets to show up, and then having to write everything down if you're going after specific skills, instead of just complete sets. The wiki has that for G Rank stuff, but nothing before it.

you can press y on the smith to bring the skills list and press x on that skill to show you what it does. i do that to check skill description.

i think its intentional that you will cart when jho pins you down. i always bring dung bombs and a lot of items just in case, i usually have 5 free slots left for carve.

Sanctuary

you can press y on the smith to bring the skills list and press x on that skill to show you what it does. i do that to check skill description.

You may want to reread my post. I wasn't asking how to view the skills on each piece that's already at the armorsmith. I want a list that shows complete sets with the stats of each piece individually. Otherwise, you have to wait until you have all of the materials required for complete sets (for each piece to appear, not necessarily enough to craft everything at once) before you can see exactly how much of a skill each piece gives. I don't want to have to write down every piece of gear I'm trying to compare for mixing and matching, but that's what I am required to do right now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oooh, managed to find a rath ruby in a shiny, with my second fight with him.

Should I save it or just go ahead and make the rath armour s?

Also how do I get the medulla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom