• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newb question:

Is there any way to duplicate or farm thunderbugs and other trap material? I dont want to keep wasting money to make traps.

You can cultivate Thunderbugs at your farm, and improve how much you can get with Bug Maker Pro (trade with the Argosy captain or kill bugs at Moga Woods to receive on rewards).

DaBoss

Newb question:

Is there any way to duplicate or farm thunderbugs and other trap material? I dont want to keep wasting money to make traps.

You can farm thunderbugs once you upgrade your farm to have the ability to farm bugs. You can't farm Spider Webs.

Though you can buy Thunderbugs from the old lady with the big bag at Marina.

Fewr

You'll hit a point where you will be doing the same quest over and over to get a particular monster material, after you get it you will notice your wallet has enough money to buy this stuff.

Also, if you need money tell your farm to do Nulberries, and sell them all when they're ready.

Sanctuary

So I just killed my first high rank Rathian. Carved an Inferno Sac, and then when I go to upgrade a weapon, it says I don't have any. I look in the chest and it shows no Inferno, but three flame (which I had prior to this fight). Good times.

Boogiepop

So wait, is there some way to get resource points without converting free hunts or items? I'm 99% sure I didn't do either of those yesterday, but I somehow jumped from like a couple hundred resource points to over 5000.

dk_

I'm not too keen on which armor sets are best, but I think any armor set that can get you Sharpness +1 or at least Mind's Eye would be the best thing to go for.

Yeah, but I read that fencing only prevents my weapon from bouncing off and does the same damage I would have caused without the skill. It just doesn't interrupt my attacks. Correct?

also

Banned
So wait, is there some way to get resource points without converting free hunts or items? I'm 99% sure I didn't do either of those yesterday, but I somehow jumped from like a couple hundred resource points to over 5000.

There's DLC that gives you 5000 resource points.

Boogiepop

There's DLC that gives you 5000 resource points.

Ah, that'd do it then. I just checked out the dlc for the first time today.

Also, is there a good place to look at what monsters give what level of rare commodity?

Oh, and is there any reason the guide doesn't list elderdragonblood as a drop for Goldbeard, but I totally got a decent bit of it while grinding him yesterday?

Ultratech

Did some Zinogre farming earlier. One quest in particular was hilarious.

There was a small Zinogre (surprisingly, it wasn't a Silver Crown), and we went to town and just owned it. It fell down pretty quickly in like 3-4 min.
Then as if on cue, the 2nd Zinogre (a Gold Crown one at that!) comes in immediately after the small one falls and just rushes at us.
Had to scramble since we were trying to carve the 1st one, but the big one wasn't giving us much of a chance to.

Beats

Damn. The way you obtain Gargwa Eggs in the Under The Yolk quest...

You have to kill them without them detecting you, and when you do an egg comes out of them..

DaBoss

So is there a point to having both sharpness +1 and mind's eye?

There really isn't, unless you want to do a lot of damage and have an easy time breaking parts that will bounce regardless of weapon sharpness (example: Ivory Lagiacrus horns).

Also, if you were to attempt to get both skills activated, you would be unable to make a set that has other skills along with these 2.

Ultratech

You have to kill them without them detecting you, and when you do an egg comes out of them..

I just go behind them and give them a swift kick to the butt.

Then an egg pops out! Granted, they get pissed afterwards...

Is there any way to counter the negative skill on an armor? My goldbeard armor's skill that causes my weapons to dull faster is a bit annoying.

Either find a gem or charm to negate it, or use another armor piece. In your case, using a Helios X waist will still get you S+1 and HG Earplugs without Blunt Sword.

Boogiepop

Is there any way to counter the negative skill on an armor? My goldbeard armor's skill that causes my weapons to dull faster is a bit annoying.

DaBoss

Gem in a Sharpness Jewel into your armor. Talk to the Smith and make him forge a Decoration called "Razor Jewel 1".

But that will take away Sharpness +1, so you want to look for a talisman/charm that has Handicraft. Or just get a talisman/charm that has Sharpness in it.

What does it mean when green smoke or glowing orbs come out of my body? There's no little icon when it happens.

Also, Ivory Lagiacrus was super anticlimactic. Dude didn't even go into the water.

Hattori

Banned
There really isn't, unless you want to do a lot of damage and have an easy time breaking parts that will bounce regardless of weapon sharpness (example: Ivory Lagiacrus horns).

Also, if you were to attempt to get both skills activated, you would be unable to make a set that has other skills along with these 2.

I'm making Grand Hyuga and it's possible to get rocksteady, critical draw, focus, mind's eye, and sharpness +1 with an extra slot to gem out worrywart. If it's redundant then what skill would you suggest as an alternative to sharpness +1? I have a pretty good PunishDraw with Expert, Defense, Earplugs, Protection, Evasion, and Hunger talismans. [sorry for asking too many questions x)]

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Use gems to counter it. If you have a -2 sharpness on armor then gem for +2 sharpness. Yea you'll only break even at best, but you'll get the benefits with no drawbacks.

EDIT: Looks like I got beat.

DaBoss

I'm making Grand Hyuga and it's possible to get rocksteady, critical draw, focus, mind's eye, and sharpness +1 with an extra slot to gem out worrywart. If it's redundant then what skill would you suggest as an alternative to sharpness +1? I have a pretty good PunishDraw with Expert, Defense, Earplugs, Protection, Evasion, and Hunger talismans. [sorry for asking too many questions x)]

Ahh OK, what kind of armor is that? I was using a program called MHag and it didn't show me this armor set.

I would recommend dropping Mind's Eye instead. Sharpness +1 is always good, that is if you could.

I personally like Evasion +2, and HG Earplugs. If you can go for either one of them it would be good. Evasion +1 is better than normal Earplugs.

Chunky

Oh Brachydios, you look silly but you have a kickass theme and you hit like Mr Sandman. Seriously, when he's in rage mode his attacks never seem to stop D:

ryz

Oh god, a Lagi plate and sapphire in one hunt, plus the jho gem and los ruby from earlier today. My luck is depleted for the next ten iterations of monster hunter D:

Hattori

Banned
Ahh OK, what kind of armor is that? I was using a program called MHag and it didn't show me this armor set.

I would recommend dropping Mind's Eye instead. Sharpness +1 is always good, that is if you could.

I personally like Evasion +2, and HG Earplugs. If you can go for either one of them it would be good. Evasion +1 is better than normal Earplugs.

it's the g rank jhen armor. evasion +2 seems like a good choice considering I always seem to get hit while dodging. thanks for the input.

Fewr

Strange, I did that yesterday and I remember I just found them lying near one of them. I probably did it the right way and didn't even notice.

Ghost23

How can I solo high rank Brachydios faster than 25 minutes? I have a Dios Blade and Rathalos S armor with Attack up (L), so I feel as though I should be killing it faster.

Haunted

Wait, there's a dragonator in the tainted sea? Is it in the busted ship to the right? I could see the button but didn't bother to investigate. He's pretty easy as is.

How can I solo high rank Brachydios faster than 25 minutes? I have a Dios Blade and Rathalos S armor with Attack up (L), so I feel as though I should be killing it faster.
Hm, you could try using a water weapon, he's weak to that. But I do think using slime is totally ok, if not for the damage (I assume he's highly resistant to explosions), but for flinching him and hitting him out of attacks.

You just have to surprise them, there's a chance they'll drop an egg before running away. I thought that was one of the funnier touches in-game. :D

edit: man, they could've really touched up the Tower. So ugly, even for a PSP environment. >_>

DaBoss

it's the g rank jhen armor. evasion +2 seems like a good choice considering I always seem to get hit while dodging. thanks for the input.

Oh, I haven't gotten that far, it seems like that set is really good.

Don't use a Dios Blade. :p

I recommend using a weapon with a Water element.

Boogiepop

Damn Bullfango are such a nuisance, haha. It's so much fun to be fighting Zinogre and knock him over, only to have a pair of bullfango hit you and then hit you again when you get up, completely negating the opportunity. And yet I still never bother killing small monsters when fighting a big one.

Damn Bullfango are such a nuisance, haha. It's so much fun to be fighting Zinogre and knock him over, only to have a pair of bullfango hit you and then hit you again when you get up, completely negating the opportunity. And yet I still never bother killing small monsters when fighting a big one.

And then when you do kill them they respawn out of the ground anyway.

ramyeon

You can either gem out Blunt Edge with a talisman, unfortunately the gems will also gem out Sharpness +1, or just gem in Speed Sharpening. With Speed Sharpening the animation is so fast it's not really an issue. Even though I have a talisman to get rid of blunt edge I still use speed sharpening instead.

So tempted to farm for Grand Hyuga set today, looks great.

Schwabe

I miss mosswine :(

Mosswine2.png

ramyeon

For those who got the Grand Hyuga set from DLC Jhen: about how long did it take? And what skills does it come with without any gems inserted or talismans.

So I just killed my first high rank Rathian. Carved an Inferno Sac, and then when I go to upgrade a weapon, it says I don't have any. I look in the chest and it shows no Inferno, but three flame (which I had prior to this fight). Good times.

If you carved the inferno sac, it went to your pouch. It won't show up at the smithy until you place it in your box.

Fistwell

For those who got the Grand Hyuga set from DLC Jhen: about how long did it take? And what skills does it come with without any gems inserted or talismans.
Not long. Card shows 8 jhens, several of those were high rank. Armor has focus, rock steady, minds eye, and I think -potential. It has a cple of 3 slot pieces. It's niiiiiiice.

If you carved the inferno sac, it went to your pouch. It won't show up at the smithy until you place it in your box.
Na, it does show.

Beaten.

Abandond

Haven't played this in a while, but I just order the CPP from the Nintendo store so I will be picking it up again once that arrives. Can't wait! :D

DaBoss

Never had this happen to me before, but it is happening in the G-Rank "Kill 3 Pecos". o_O

Z4bIvgk.jpg

Qurupeco being the only live audience member to watch the match, "Hunter vs Deviljho".

In the listed "needed materials", it has a separate count for items in your pouch, and another count for items in your box.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter whether its in your pouch or box for the smithy, he counts both.

I've tested this out at the Moga Smithy. I had the last items I needed for an upgrade in my pouch and went to the smithy which said I was still short 2 items. I put them in my box and then they showed up and I was able to upgrade.

In the listed "needed materials", it has a separate count for items in your pouch, and another count for items in your box.

Oh? I've not noticed this. I'll have to take another look.

ramyeon

I've tested this out at the Moga Smithy. I had the last items I needed for an upgrade in my pouch and went to the smithy which said I was still short 2 items. I put them in my box and then they showed up and I was able to upgrade.
No it definitely counts them, there's even a number for both those in your pouch and those in your box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom