• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Matthew

Neo Member
I am curious, to those who are gonna play in on Wii U. What type of control method do you use? Gamepad, Pro Controller, Classic Controller?

I tried the demo a few times, first GamePad only and then with Pro Controller and I am leaning towards Pro Controller. This in combination with the pad as my navigation tool is just to damn convenient!

Ken

I am curious, to those who are gonna play in on Wii U. What type of control method do you use? Gamepad, Pro Controller, Classic Controller?

I tried the demo a few times, first GamePad only and then with Pro Controller and I am leaning towards Pro Controller. This in combination with the pad as my navigation tool is just to damn convenient!

How does that work? Make the map full screen on the GamePad?

I'm gonna use the CCP since that's what I used in Tri. Not gonna spend $50 on the Pro or even think about playing the game with the GamePad. There's also an option to map certain elements of the HUD to the GamePad screen.

Neo C.

Some of the online stuff I read is annoying (still 4 players in one room, kicking out player, no host migration). I hope there is a patch in the next few months...

At least communication is somewhat better than on Tri.

The funny thing about charm tables is that you are aiming at that ONE SPECIAL CHARM when in reality you will never find it because RNG Gods will always favor the other 21,599.

I never found a Clust 7 Slot 2 in 1500h of MH3.

Ken

I'm gonna use the CCP since that's what I used in Tri. Not gonna spend $50 on the Pro or even think about playing the game with the GamePad. There's also an option to map certain elements of the HUD to the GamePad screen.

What is the Pro? Is that like a CCP made for the Wii U?

original.jpg
Think they're talking about this.
Oh btw here's the confirmed price for the eShop versions:
Nintendo eShop (Wii U)

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom) - €59.99/£49.99
Take up arms and venture into a world of spectacular surroundings and challenging monsters in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. With all-new monsters, equipment and weapons and over 200 action-packed quests to tackle, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is the most expansive game in the series to date. In this action RPG, take more than just satisfaction from your hard-fought victories: carve conquered monsters to gain their bones, horns, hides and more, then have them fashioned into weapons and armour to steel you for the even tougher battles ahead. It is the hunter's way.

Additional Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate content - Nintendo eShop from 22/3/13
Wii U (Download) - Monster HunterTM 3 Ultimate Packet Relay Tools for Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 3DS (Download) - Monster HunterTM 3 Ultimate Data Transfer Program

Need for Speed: Most Wanted U (EA) - €59.99//£49.99
Need for Speed: Most Wanted for Wii U utilises the unique features of the Wii U GamePad to introduce "Co-Driver" where your friend plays using the Wii Remote and you can activate Boost U, adjust cop difficulty and change mods using the Wii U GamePad, as they race their way to the top of the Most Wanted list!

Punch-Out!! (Nintendo) - €0.30/£0.30

Part of the Family Computer 30th Anniversary Campaign.

What rookie boxer Little Mac lacks in size, he makes up for in determination. And with trainer Doc Louis by his side, Little Mac is ready to win big! NES classic Punch-Out!! pits your pint-sized pugilist against such diverse rivals as the fragile-jawed Frenchman Glass Joe, sucker-punching Russian Soda Popinski and the Hollywood heavyweight Super Macho Man. Use jabs, body blows, hooks and uppercuts to discover your opponent's weak spot and make the knockout blow. Also, look out for an appearance by Mario as the referee!

This release is based on the US-NTSC version of the game running at 60Hz.

Special deals
ZombiU (Ubisoft) - €34.99/£29.99 (Normal €69.99/£54.99, ends April 4th)
Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft) - €29.99/£29.99 (Normal €69.99/£54.99, ends April 4th)
Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft) - €24.99/£19.99 (Normal €49.99/£39.99, ends April 4th)
Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Ubisoft) - €24.99/£19.99 (Normal €49.99/£39.99, ends April 4th)
Rabbids Land (Ubisoft) - €24.99/£19.99 (Normal €49.99/£39.99, ends April 4th)
Sports Connection (Ubisoft) - €24.99/£19.99 (Normal €49.99/£39.99, ends April 4th)
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (Ubisoft) - €24.99/£19.99 (Normal €49.99/£39.99, ends April 4th)
Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation) - €4.99/£4.99 (Normal €9.99/£8.99, ends March 24)

Nintendo eShop (3DS)

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom) - €44.99/£39.99
Take up arms and venture into a world of spectacular surroundings and challenging monsters in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. With all-new monsters, equipment and weapons and over 200 action-packed quests to tackle, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is the most expansive game in the series to date. In this action RPG, take more than just satisfaction from your hard-fought victories: carve conquered monsters to gain their bones, horns, hides and more, then have them fashioned into weapons and armour to steel you for the even tougher battles ahead. It is the hunter's way.

Wii U (Download) - Monster HunterTM 3 Ultimate Packet Relay Tools for Nintendo 3DS

My Foal 3D (TREVA Entertainment) - €29.99/£24.99
Your own foal in 3D! Up to 20 cute foals are waiting to have fun and be looked after by you. Fall in love with their adorable expressions as they come right up to you in 3D! A comprehensive story mode is included in the game, as well as an integrated photo album, plus AR cards so you can have your own cute foal right in your hand.

HarmoKnight Demo (Nintendo) - Free
Cover your ears - the planet of Melodia is under attack! The evil Noizoids, under the orders of their leader Gargan, aren't just disrupting the normal tuneful lives of Melodians everywhere - they've also kidnapped Ariana, the princess of Symphony City! Help Tempo, the boy chosen to wield the legendary staff, and his friends as they travel across Melodia on a musical adventure. Over 50 stages of rhythm-action fun await, including bonus stages featuring much-loved tunes from some of your favourite Pokémon games.

The Beet Party: Call Me Aneek Neek (Redrover, Video) - €0.99/£0.89
The Beet Party is a series of 3D short videos available for download on Nintendo eShop. The two-minute interstitials target four to six year olds and follow the adventures of the five coolest beets around as they explore, experiment, celebrate and communicate with beat-boxing sounds when something new arrives in their fridge.

Special deals
Pokedex 3D Pro (Nintendo) - €11.99/£10.79 (Normal €14.99/£13.49, ends April 4th)

Fistwell

Honestly all sorts of lost here on the names of the different official nintendo controllers. I'll be using the cheap DS3 semi-lookalike (in glossy black, fingerprint magnet) controller I got with Tri. Annoyed at the fucking wiimote dongle, floats around like an oversized used tampon.

So ugly as well.
And that's without all the dirt and finger prints caked on the surface. IT does feel comfortable enough in hand though. And it has all the buttons and sticks needed so whatever.

Edit: oh, ok, there's the CCP, and then there's the CCP, but, for Wii U. How on Earth could I get confused?

Cleaning that sucker every few minutes.
Yeah you know... I should really do that... that, that thing there... cleaning. Not sure how one does that, might have to google it.

Does this mean the US gets it for $60, or $80?

What's the normal RRP for NA games? It'll likely be that looking at Gamestop it looks like it'll probably be $60. One thing to note is that because NA version is published by Capcom themselves you are more likely to get this game on sale someday...

Also note
Wonder if NOA will announce the Packet Relay tool this week, but NOE did announce several weeks back...

deviljho

What's the normal RRP for NA games? It'll likely be that looking at Gamestop it looks like it'll probably be $60. One thing to note is that because NA version is published by Capcom themselves you are more likely to get this game on sale someday...

i'm sure it will be $60. but apparently, there is some controversy about lego city in the eshop right now. the game retails for $50, but is $60 on the eshop... so people are hoping that was a mistake.

Peru

Thank goodness.

By the way I NEED TO FIND A WAY to buy the Brady guide without being a US citizen. Do they usually sell these on other online stores as well?

I think I'll just use the gamepad, been playing the demo with it so now I'm just used to it.

Added my NNID to the google doc, neal709. Can't wait for this game.

Greatsword is definitely a hell of a weapon to try out while getting a hang of the basics. I know several people that've done it, but I can't help but think of it as an uphill battle. Its greatest strength is the charged slash, and to make the most of that you have to understand a monster's timing and movements probably moreso than any other weapon class. I've tried to get into using it multiple times throughout my experience in Tri and while I'm not awful with it, I hardly feel proficient.

I dont think it's too difficult to start off with the GS. I did it. As soon as you understand the delayed timing and slow swings of it, its not too difficult to learn. It has always been my preferred weapon beside SA.

The Pro is great though, no regrets.

I do, unfortunately. I have to register an adress, digital purchase or not, and it has to match my credit card so any random adress won't do.
Virtual CC may work? I don't know which the adress would be though but you may check with the service company (entropay or the like).

Bleep

Think they're talking about this.
Oh btw here's the confirmed price for the eShop versions:

In Australia the release date is 23/03, does anyone know if we will be getting the game on the eShop at the same time as Europe? Our store is an offshoot of the European eShop, I don't know how they have handled different release dates for physical games in the past.

deviljho

I dont think it's too difficult to start off with the GS. I did it. As soon as you understand the delayed timing and slow swings of it, its not too difficult to learn. It has always been my preferred weapon beside SA.

Except when you first start out and are learning it and them all of a sudden have to hunt Barroth. :/

Except when you first start out and are learning it and them all of a sudden have to hunt Barroth. :/

But thats what I did. I hunted with a Cataclysm Sword most of the game. It's not the best, but it certainly did the job.
I think when I got to Laggy, I started playing with other weapons.

deviljho

But thats what I did. I hunted with a Cataclysm Sword most of the game. It's not the best, but it certainly did the job.
I think when I got to Laggy, I started playing with other weapons.

I've been remiss in learning the other weapons. That's going to be fixed now :D

Kuntz

"After" being uncensored and eating after (lol) quest selection are more than details to me, capcom clearly keeps on giving !

Crossing fingers for 8 players rooms patch...

I've been remiss in learning the other weapons. That's going to be fixed now :D

Likewise. With Ultimate, I'm going to expand my knowledge of all, if not, most weapons. The demo provided a great opportunity for me to experiment with all weapons.
For some reason though, and I hope it's just me, but fighting underwater with the LS is different than before. It feels slower and... I dont know.

Kuntz said:
"After" being uncensored and eating after (lol) quest selection are more than details to me, capcom clearly keeps on giving !

Crossing fingers for 8 players rooms patch...

Definitely. The cities in Tri felt so barren and there was barely a need for so many quest board slots. It would feel so lively with more people.

So there were torches and dark caves in Tri, and now there are still torches but the caves have been brightened up so they are not necessary.

Did the darkness/light thing ever amount to anything in Tri, or was it just an annoying unnecessary mechanic that they've now eliminated?

Was there ever a crazy monster fight in the dark that torches were necessary for?

I remember in Tri that torches already seemed optional, if you squinted enough you could still see everything (depending on your TV). And caves other than the Desert Island seemed lit decently well anyway.

Will anyone use a torch now that there aren't any dark areas?

Peru

Yeah the night/day system is revamped. Not sure of the details but I think quests are set at either night or day and for the moga forest you can just choose as you head out.

So although we got the game early last night, I didn't get to play much because my 3 month old was fussy.

I was trying to confirm the charm tables but I didn’t get far enough to unlock the fishing boats. I’ll confirm tonight.

One thing I did notice however is the starting bow (hunters bow?) seems to behave a lot different than the bow in the demo. At the level 3 charge it only shoots out two arrows (which I assume is a Rapid lv2 shot?) but the default arc on them is really really high. As in soars right over Jaggi and Kelbi high. The only way I was able to fight those smaller monsters was if I manually held R and aimed down. The bow in the demo didn’t have nearly that kind of arc. I guess the high arc would be awesome for taller monsters but it was a pain for the smaller ones last night. Anyone have any insight?

I also didn’t see anything in the controls for switching the ZL/RL buttons to ascend/descend swim like in Tri. Personally I found that a much easier method to control underwater combat since you could move the camera independent of your direction. I suppose the new target camera helps a lot of that frustration though.

DaBoss

So although we got the game early last night, I didn't get to play much because my 3 month old was fussy.

I was trying to confirm the charm tables but I didn’t get far enough to unlock the fishing boats. I’ll confirm tonight.

One thing I did notice however is the starting bow (hunters bow?) seems to behave a lot different than the bow in the demo. At the level 3 charge it only shoots out two arrows (which I assume is a Rapid lv2 shot?) but the default arc on them is really really high. As in soars right over Jaggi and Kelbi high. The only way I was able to fight those smaller monsters was if I manually held R and aimed down. The bow in the demo didn’t have nearly that kind of arc. I guess the high arc would be awesome for taller monsters but it was a pain for the smaller ones last night. Anyone have any insight?

I also didn’t see anything in the controls for switching the ZL/RL buttons to ascend/descend swim like in Tri. Personally I found that a much easier method to control underwater combat since you could move the camera independent of your direction. I suppose the new target camera helps a lot of that frustration though.

Press B and then move the control stick down. That is how it worked on the 3DS, I assume it is the same for the Wii U version too. I think it says how to in the manual.

Fistwell

Heads up, sent a bunch of friend requests, NNID: Fistwell. If I've somehow missed you and you want to add me, feel free!

you can light up giggnox's cave, but i don't remember how much that affected its movement
Light torches, use cold drink. If I remember correctly, he doesn't know you're there/attacks the torches? Or was that debunked? Never actually tried. Maybe needs a poop-bomb too or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom