• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priz

Went to the Monster Hunter Community College Event at Capcom HQ yesterday, ended up really enjoying it. I picked up Tri a few months back on ebay for $17 shipped, just mentioned the game being new, ended up coming with the Classic Controller Pro included (didn't even see that mentioned in the description so extra bonus!) but I've just been too busy to even take it out of the shrinkwrap.

So besides trying the first PS2 game at E3 which was an early build and I think had crashed (frozen creatures), trying the 3DS demo was the first time I'd played the game and I was iffy on the demo. Still kinda lost... so I attended a beginner & intermediate class they had there and I really enjoyed it. Picked up the game on the spot. Had a great time at the event and they provided food and drinks and such. At the end of the event, they gave everyone a Classic Controller Pro (so they could use it for the Wii U version if they wanted). Doing another event in late June so hopefully even more people make it out!

After doing the training on the 3DS XL now I kinda want to upgrade my system to one of those to partake in the larger screen!

Took a few pictures:
20130420_143432.jpg

20130420_143440.jpg

20130420_143450.jpg

20130420_143458.jpg

20130420_145141.jpg

20130420_145150.jpg

20130420_152425.jpg

20130420_145200.jpg

RobbieNick

Okay, seriously. What the fuck do I have to do to get monster fluid?! I got ten...TEN poison bombs and went out to Moga woods and carved at least 15 Baharhamba Mosquitoes and got only wings and shells and whatnot. No fluid. I hate having to hunt down certain stupid resources as it takes all the fun out of the game and it becomes a chore.

EDIT: Well...at the very least, I can dress like a pimp. XD

depward

^^ Awesome!

Loving the 9* high rank Moga quests. Really fun stuff in there. The three monster quests are a bit rough, which is great!

Okay, seriously. What the fuck do I have to do to get monster fluid?! I got ten...TEN poison bombs and went out to Moga woods and carved at least 15 Baharhamba Mosquitoes and got only wings and shells and whatnot. No fluid. I hate having to hunt down certain stupid resources as it takes all the fun out of the game and it becomes a chore.

Carve Giggis in Area 4 of Moga Woods. Day.

Fistwell

Like the other guy said. Or try low rank tundra, kill giggis in 6 and... 8 I believe?

ramyeon

If anyone wants to join me to farm Jhen I made a room in Free B > lobby 3 > HR8+

Edit: well that was a bust, seems like not many people are doing Jhen at the moment.

taybul

EDIT: Well...at the very least, I can dress like a pimp. XD

What worked pretty well for me was to go into tundra, find a giggi nest and just kill them for a while. They spawn infinitely. Leave your companions behind as they'll kill the nest. I did this in HR Tundra to get monster broth but I still got a ton of fluid.

P.S. I gotta move on from my current armor situation. Any suggestions for my first high level set?

My first HR set was the Jaggi set. Easy enough to farm and with pretty good stats.

Mupod

If anyone wants to join me to farm Jhen I made a room in Free B > lobby 3 > HR8+

Edit: well that was a bust, seems like not many people are doing Jhen at the moment.

I'd have helped but I won't be online again until the weekend.

Gives me time to burn through all these village quests though. Gonna get myself a shiny new guild card and maybe be able to post Hallowed Jhen instead of leeching off others.

ramyeon

I'd have helped but I won't be online again until the weekend.

Gives me time to burn through all these village quests though. Gonna get myself a shiny new guild card and maybe be able to post Hallowed Jhen instead of leeching off others.
No worries, gonna try surfing between random rooms since they seem to disband after 1 run usually.

So is the Grand Hyuga set the Grand Yamato pieces? Cause that's all I'm seeing after one run through.

ramyeon

Yup, hyuga is the female blade armor
Ohh okay, makes sense haha.

So hard to find good rooms :( the only one with an open spot keeps giving me an error when I try to join.

Edit: finally get in and say hi only for the host to disconnect and close the room straight away... Fml.

DaBoss

I encountered a weird glitch. I was doing the triple Plesioth quest at G-Rank. At around 10 minutes into the quest (I think this is when the other monster comes in, in this case it happened to be a R. Ludroth), there was a pretty noticeable framerate drop. I found this to be common in the more than 2 monster quests, but the really strange thing was the fact that the sound glitched and Plesioth no longer made any noises, not even its attacks made noises, and the 2 Plesioths after that one didn't either.

chrono01

Is there a limit to how high you can upgrade an armor piece using Tru Armor Spheres? Are Tru spheres the highest tier?
There is a limit, and they don't offer nearly as many DEF points as earlier versions. Still, if you find a set of armor you particularly love, feel free to upgrade it fully.

You are correct in assuming that they're the highest tier.

Ok, the Helios X set is too goddamn tempting. I must own it. So, Goldbeard farm. I have two gear options:

1. Brachydios X set, w/ Demolition Blades 2H
2. Agnaktor Z set, w/ whatever the first Zingore lance is

The Brachy set sucks because of the increase susceptibility to water, but I don't have any good lances. :(

Me and my buddy are having a really hard time trying to figure out how to play together online via the WiiU. Can anyone instruct me how to set up an online game please?

JKTrix

All right, I want to raise my HR. I'm only HR2, but I've beaten Ceadeus offline.

I have an open room on 03 Free C Lobby9 that's just called 'HR2', if anyone here wants to help me power level.
Me and my buddy are having a really hard time trying to figure out how to play together online via the WiiU. Can anyone instruct me how to set up an online game please?
If you are already friends on Wii U, you should be able to pull up a 'friends list' online. One of you should create a room or join a room, then the other should be able to join them straight from the Friends list.

Otherwise, the one who is already in a room will have to tell the other one exactly where they are in order for them to join up, like what I said just now to try and get people to join.

Thanks JKTrix! Figured it out. I guess we were using the DS network setup. Feel so stupid knowing that it was something as simple as entering network mode, and took us over an hour lol This is my first monster hunter. Appreciate the help.

ramyeon

First run ends in under 10 minutes, Deep Dragongem carved.

aww yiss
Gems aren't the problem unfortunately lol. I got all my gems in the first run too.

Good luck with the Lagia Sapphires and Earth Gems needed for X too :p

Any games going? Anyone need help on stuff?

L Thammy

I don't believe Rathalos Plates actually exist.

Also, the more I farm a monster, the stupider Kayamba and I get. Yes, hit me with your Felvine Bomb when I'm charging my GS. That is exactly what I want.

Also, the more I farm a monster, the stupider Kayamba and I get. Yes, hit me with your Felvine Bomb when I'm charging my GS. That is exactly what I want.

Low rank or high rank? Rathalos Plate has 10% drop chance if you carve the tail for high rank Rathalos.

So, you cut his tail, break his face, and then capture him. You'll have like 10% / 4%(?) / 4%(?). (depending on low or high rank Rathalos)

So, I met Brachydios for the first time. Interesting design.
He looks more like an Alien than a monster tbh.
. But I like his design and moveset...
DAT SIDESTEP

Took me 20 mins on first attempt of VQ Brachydios. Gonna upgrade my water hammer and then farm him to make the slime hammer.

I got 2 plates without trying. You know what to do.

Edit: What happens to Rathalos Mask fireballs under water?

ramyeon

My horse of plates suggests otherwise lol.

Lagia Mantles on the other hand...

You can also trade for plates. To get the Rathalos Plate I needed for the Rathalos Mask I just traded a Silver VE ticket to the Veggie Elder in Deserted Island.

I also traded 2 Gold VE tickets to the Tundra elder for a couple Brachy gems to upgrade my bow. Not sure if it matters, but I did this on G rank harvest tours.

L Thammy

Low rank or high rank? Rathalos Plate has 10% drop chance if you carve the tail for high rank Rathalos.

So, you cut his tail, break his face, and then capture him. You'll have like 10% / 4%(?) / 4%(?). (depending on low or high rank Rathalos)

High rank. I've done that (cut-break-capture) just ten times so far. Not sure how many kills: I'm up to 24 total.
I actually did get one plate from my first or second Rathalos, but I wasted it on Rathalos' lame-o armour.

You can also trade for plates. To get the Rathalos Plate I needed for the Rathalos Mask I just traded a Silver VE ticket to the Veggie Elder in Deserted Island.

How do you get Silver VE Tickets?

DaBoss

High rank. I've done that (cut-break-capture) just ten times so far. Not sure how many kills: I'm up to 24 total.
I actually did get one plate from my first or second Rathalos, but I wasted it on Rathalos' lame-o armour.

How do you get Silver VE Tickets?

Cap it.

Ridley327

I finally got the chance to transfer my data to the 3DS version (birthday present), and I was amazed at how painless the process was.

It plays pretty well on the 3DS, but the font is all sorts of atrocious. It reminds me of the ghastly default DS font that so many games used.

Wow...RNG really isn't treating you well. I think found 2 Plates within 5 Rathalos.

Btw, why do you say Rathalos S is a lame armour? I'm using the full Rathalos S set and I'm loving the atk up (L), sharpener and fire atk skills.

LukeSmith

Never played a Monster Hunter game before - this is my first - I'm HR3 after a couple days of owning it, but I feel pretty helpless when it comes to weapons/armor.

I typically am just playing in groups -- I've rescued my sidekick in Offline. Typically use either a SNS, GS or HH. My armor is an eclectic (read piss poor) mix of various monster pelts.

Is this the kind of game where I should just do whatever I can to get to HR6 and then farm bosses? Or should I be farming up a bunch within a given Hunter Rank?

Ridley327

Wow...RNG really isn't treating you well. I think found 2 Plates within 5 Rathalos.

Btw, why do you say Rathalos S is a lame armour? I'm using the full Rathalos S set and I'm loving the atk up (L), sharpener and fire atk skills.

I think it's because the Rath Soul set is going to be a lot more useful in the long run with how easy it is to get Critical Eye+3 and HG Earplugs on it, as well as ditching the weakness to Thunder that the Rathalos set has. On top of that, it's not any harder to craft than a regular Rathalos set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom