• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

So what would you guys recommend gemming the Grand Yamato set with? I was thinking of going for Sharpness+1 and Speed Sharpener but are there any better suggestions? I use Switch Axe.

I don't have access to Rathalos Soul yet...but I'll definitely craft that when I have access to it. I have always like Rathalos armors...<3 Silver Sol from MHFU.

L Thammy

Wow...RNG really isn't treating you well. I think found 2 Plates within 5 Rathalos.

Btw, why do you say Rathalos S is a lame armour? I'm using the full Rathalos S set and I'm loving the atk up (L), sharpener and fire atk skills.

Tell me about it. I've also killed over 20 Rathians without a single plate (I need one for Valkyrie Chordmaker+ and Sieglinde). Though I wasn't really grinding those, just fighting them in Moga Woods when they came by.

Honestly, I don't think it's objectively bad. But I already had Negate Stun and Attack Up (L) with my Jaggi set, which I think suit me better. It was kind of a waste for me to make it.

Ridley327

I don't have access to Rathalos Soul yet...but I'll definitely craft that when I have access to it. I have always like Rathalos armors...<3 Silver Sol from MHFU.

The Rath set is still one of the best looking sets to this day, no matter the color. Really fantastic and enduring design, to say the least.

Funny enough, I'm not really a big fan of its G-rank incarnation; the wings do nothing for me, and the helmet doesn't look nearly as fierce as the low/high rank helmet.

Mileena

Banned
I finally got the chance to transfer my data to the 3DS version (birthday present), and I was amazed at how painless the process was.

It plays pretty well on the 3DS, but the font is all sorts of atrocious. It reminds me of the ghastly default DS font that so many games used.

Did you buy a frankenstick?
rowDVrG.png
rowDVrG.png

Ridley327

I suspect that my 3DS play will likely be limited to village stuff and, if the opportunity presents itself, playing locally at conventions, which suits my needs just fine. Sometimes, you just want to head into Moga Woods and get some rare commodities by one-shotting Great Jaggis.

vareon

Just completed my Barioth X set (which, despite looking cool, had meh skills) and now I just don't know what to do. I'll just help my friends get their armor while I proceed to fight every monster in this game, I think.

Hattori

Banned
I got so much accomplished today. Forged Grand Hyuga, Stygian Acedia and Pale Kaiser. Now I need lots and lots of money cause I'm broke x)

Honestly, I don't think it's objectively bad. But I already had Negate Stun and Attack Up (L) with my Jaggi set, which I think suit me better. It was kind of a waste for me to make it.

Oh yeah...that's right. High Rank Jaggi gives nice Atk up as well. I totally skipped the High rank Jaggi set...went directly from Low Rank Los set to High Rank Los set. Can't wait to finally make my slime hammer and work on VQ9. Then I can finally start on HR.

Kyzon

"Hee hee... I see the lust in your eyes. Wanna see what I've got... for Quests?"
AMzq9lr.gif

The Quests ain't what I'm lustin' for, gurl.
aJBLf.gif

Yes.

Also, have you always been a junior?

He should be made a member on May 10th.

I need to play with gaf again tomorrow. Randoms just don't do it for me. Playing with them actually caused me to go out and buy Injustice to play around with offline XD

I have to hunt so much HR Royal Ludroths... trying to make him into a set, because my old Ludroth set probably won't cut it against these HR creatures, plus I want Water attack increased so as to truly benefit my Double Droths.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
8&#9733; Moga get!

Falling so behind on online, lol. Feels so weird to get Jhen in single player before unlocking it for online.

So guys, I basically turbo-ed through all the NPC talk and all that. I'm now at 8 star Village Quest. I cultivate Nulberry for money, and do a quick run at Royal Ludroth for resource (less than 5 mins).

I haven't been to the Moga Woods since the early village quests. Do I need anything from there? Am I gimping myself if I totally ignore Moga Woods?

ramyeon

8&#9733; Moga get!

Falling so behind on online, lol. Feels so weird to get Jhen in single player before unlocking it for online.
Unlocking it in single makes it available in online though, it's the earliest you can get it.

Had a good day, completed the Grand Yamato set pretty quickly. But Fire Emblem arrived and... I've been playing that since. Feel kinda bad :(

ryz

So guys, I basically turbo-ed through all the NPC talk and all that. I'm now at 8 star Village Quest. I cultivate Nulberry for money, and do a quick run at Royal Ludroth for resource (less than 5 mins).

I haven't been to the Moga Woods since the early village quests. Do I need anything from there? Am I gimping myself if I totally ignore Moga Woods?

Probably only (rare) commodities for some of the Argosy Captain's goods.

Off to buy the Black 3DS XL Monster Hunter bundle (and Fire Emblem) today :)

Happy to switch from a OG 3DS to an XL, the OG kind hurts my hands, they're too big for the thing.

Goal is to solo all the quests. I want to focus on two weapons in the beginning. Hammer is a sure pick, I looooove the hammer. But I also want something that can cut tails. What do you guys prefer? I like the GS but it's kind of slow. LS is nice and mobile, maybe better for a MH noob like me. Never really tried the SA, have to read up how to use it. SnS and DS, dunno.

And I allllmost got Plesioth in the demo. Would've got him if he didn't kept jumping back into the water. Effing underwater combat :(

My primary weapon is a Hammer, my secondary is a Longsword. I use Longsword only when I need to farm tails. My long ranged weapon is a Bow.

Underwater combat with Plesioth isn't that bad. Just keep moving sideways. In water, he has: -

1. water breathe (just swim to one side)
2. vertical spinning tail move (just swim sideways)
3. swims away, then charges at you (dodge/swim sideways...are we seeing a pattern?)
4. jump into air and dive back down into water (dodge/swim sideways)
5. horizontal spinning tail move (dodge through the tail)

Approach an angle of attack from Z-axis. Try not to attack on parallel plane.

Exhumed

Speaking of Plesioth I found great pleasure in smashing 3 of them in the online quest. Always had trouble with him since MHF2. Now he seems too easy....

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
My upgraded Jaggi set and my Vulcanis Great Sword kinda feel weak now that I've opened the village's 5* quests, I'll have to look into crafting a new armor set but there's too much stuff to choose from >_<.

Still having lots of fun with the game after 40+ hours and the little I've played of multi player with a buddy promises many more hours of gaming.

Finally beat Mark of Hero. What a pain. I used everything

Kelbi bow + Selene X + Sleepbomb + 15 flash bomb + mega dash/armor/demon drug

Beat it with 11.00 left. Finally time to face Alatreon >:D

Mupod

I highly advise getting some rare trade goods from there in order to upgrade your boats.

If you ever take up gunning, or want the Artian set (it's extremely useful if you're an armor mixmatcher) you'll need those boats. Certain gunner ammo requires fish (stupid Wanchovies...) and the Artian set needs rusted fragments which you can only get by sending the boat guys to treasure areas. Some event items need things like small goldenfish as well.

vareon

I highly advise getting some rare trade goods from there in order to upgrade your boats.

If you ever take up gunning, or want the Artian set (it's extremely useful if you're an armor mixmatcher) you'll need those boats. Certain gunner ammo requires fish (stupid Wanchovies...) and the Artian set needs rusted fragments which you can only get by sending the boat guys to treasure areas. Some event items need things like small goldenfish as well.

Artian set is such a cocktease. Appearing so much early, yet 40 hours later I'm still without the fragments.

Got to G-Rank (HR6) quests yesterday after two days of 12h+ sessions with my friends and now I feel sick from being exhausted.

As fun as Monster Hunter is, this game really is pure cocaine to me. I think I gotta stop playing it for a couple of days.

Anyway, I consider myself now a master of both Great Swords AND Switch-Axes. My god, Switch Axes are really awesome. I got a Grimmig Katze, which is totally BADASS, as is paralyzes monsters so often and fast, it's not even funny. Also it looks like a cat and meows like a cat, so DOUBLE WIN, YAY! Will totally upgrade to Felyne Fatality as soon as possible.

Regarding the G-Rank quests: Holy crap, was I unprepared!
Just did the item farming quest in the Tundra, when a Great Baggi appeared. "Well okay" I thought "It's just a fucking Baggi, what could ever happen?"
That's when he saw me and rushed towards me with EXTREME SPEED (holy crap, was he fast, seriously) and one-shotted me with a body blow...fuck.
So now I plan to farm Azure Rhatalos parts for his armor set, hoping I'll last longer then.

Salaadin

I want to kill Jhen Moran. I have a villager request for a Jhen Mohran "festival"...after completing this, does it unlock the Jhen Mohran fight?

I read that his armor is a good set for GSword users. I cant find any solid info to confirm this though. Does anyone know what the stats are?

Ridley327

Geez, why can't you search or create games with Jhen as the target? Have I just not unlocked it yet?

Yeah; you need to get to a certain point in the Moga Village so that you can repair the Dragonship, which will unlock the Jhen quests for the village and the port. You might be able to circumvent that by downloading the G-rank Jhen quest, but I couldn't tell you if it works that way.

I want to kill Jhen Moran. I have a villager request for a Jhen Mohran "festival"...after completing this, does it unlock the Jhen Mohran fight?

I read that his armor is a good set for GSword users. I cant find any solid info to confirm this though. Does anyone know what the stats are?

The G-rank Jhen armor is definitely the best GS set, since it starts you off with Rock Steady (basically, near-HG quality Earplugs, Current/Wind Res Lo, and Knockback Resistance all in one skill), Mind's Eye, and Focus, and it already has a few points towards CritDraw, Handicraft, and Unscathed that you can apply towards, along with enough slots to gem in something like Sheathing or whatever you'd like.

DaBoss

Off to buy the Black 3DS XL Monster Hunter bundle (and Fire Emblem) today :)

Happy to switch from a OG 3DS to an XL, the OG kind hurts my hands, they're too big for the thing.

Goal is to solo all the quests. I want to focus on two weapons in the beginning. Hammer is a sure pick, I looooove the hammer. But I also want something that can cut tails. What do you guys prefer? I like the GS but it's kind of slow. LS is nice and mobile, maybe better for a MH noob like me. Never really tried the SA, have to read up how to use it. SnS and DS, dunno.

And I allllmost got Plesioth in the demo. Would've got him if he didn't kept jumping back into the water. Effing underwater combat :(

LS or SA are my weapons of choice for cutting tails.

Just hit G-Rank.

Doing everything entirely solo so far. Anyone else attempting to G-Rank entirely solo?

I am doing that also.

Rust Duramboros solo is gonna suck

It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. It took only about 30 min. Used the Great Inceadeus.

Yes, completing the villager request will unlock the quest.

I assume you mean skills by stats, so here are the skills for the High-Rank version of the Yamato set:

Code:
Critical Eye+2 +15
Defense Up (M) +15
Focus           10
Worrywart      -10

JoeFu

Banned
I think I'm going to start doing HR6 stuff today. Ever since I got G rank unlocked, I've been working on making new weapons/upgrading them from high rank monsters, and now I finally have the Despot's Blackstorm I should probably start working on getting armor now.

Still not sure what's a good one to aim for with HR6 monsters.

Just cleared the first high rank urgent quest. It must be Capcom trolling me because it took 3 tries. The first two were me using the brand new water sword gifted to me. Then I realized the monster was recovering in waterfalls. FML.

Ridley327

I think I'm going to start doing HR6 stuff today. Ever since I got G rank unlocked, I've been working on making new weapons/upgrading them from high rank monsters, and now I finally have the Despot's Blackstorm I should probably start working on getting armor now.

Still not sure what's a good one to aim for with HR6 monsters.

That's the Zin GS, right? Assuming that you're going for GS as your main, it'll be a bit before you can tackle the Jhen quest for that armor, so the Diablos X armor would be a good place to start. Sadly, that armor does require two Diablos Hardhorns, which are going to be difficult to obtain, to say the very least.

Salaadin

Yes, completing the villager request will unlock the quest.

I assume you mean skills by stats, so here are the skills for the High-Rank version of the Yamato set:

Code:
Critical Eye+2 +15
Defense Up (M) +15
Focus           10
Worrywart      -10

Yeah; you need to get to a certain point in the Moga Village so that you can repair the Dragonship, which will unlock the Jhen quests for the village and the port. You might be able to circumvent that by downloading the G-rank Jhen quest, but I couldn't tell you if it works that way.

The G-rank Jhen armor is definitely the best GS set, since it starts you off with Rock Steady (basically, near-HG quality Earplugs, Current/Wind Res Lo, and Knockback Resistance all in one skill), Mind's Eye, and Focus, and it already has a few points towards CritDraw, Handicraft, and Unscathed that you can apply towards, along with enough slots to gem in something like Sheathing or whatever you'd like.

Thanks!

I need a good set to use in the meantime. Im currently wearing Rathian+ which provides absolutely nothing worthwhile for GSword but I wanted the defense and I had all the parts laying around. Any suggestions here? Id do the research myself but Im finding wiki to be all over the place and some of the info Im reading is for the wrong game, etc. Is there a better site with up to date MH3U armor?

JoeFu

Banned
That's the Zin GS, right? Assuming that you're going for GS as your main, it'll be a bit before you can tackle the Jhen quest for that armor, so the Diablos X armor would be a good place to start. Sadly, that armor does require two Diablos Hardhorns, which are going to be difficult to obtain, to say the very least.

Yeah its the Zin GS.

That's wonderful. Nothing is easy in this game!!

DaBoss

Thanks!

I need a good set to use in the meantime. Im currently wearing Rathian+ which provides absolutely nothing worthwhile for GSword but I wanted the defense and I had all the parts laying around. Any suggestions here? Id do the research myself but Im finding wiki to be all over the place and some of the info Im reading is for the wrong game, etc. Is there a better site with up to date MH3U armor?

You can use this site: http://www.mh3-ultimate.com/page/Armors

Or use this program if you are using Windows: https://sites.google.com/site/pingsmh3gdex/en_us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom