• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah; you need to get to a certain point in the Moga Village so that you can repair the Dragonship, which will unlock the Jhen quests for the village and the port. You might be able to circumvent that by downloading the G-rank Jhen quest, but I couldn't tell you if it works that way.

I've slain Jhen for the Village quest and also downloaded the DLC... I still don't see a way for me to search for Jhen groups or create one of my own. I'm HR7, is there something I need to so in the Port to unlock it?

blackflag

Just hit G-Rank.

Doing everything entirely solo so far. Anyone else attempting to G-Rank entirely solo?

I've beat everything solo so far but I've also replayed most of them online. Stygian zinogre is the only thing I had a problem with and that's because I soloed him in -20 dragon resist gear lol. I did beat him though

Are all monsters available for "High Rank" in offline? I'm about 3 quests short of completely all 5* quests for Moga Village and will go through the steps to get the higher rank quests, but I'm unclear if this will open everything up. I'm still only HR2 in Online (girl and I have been slowly chipping away).

I'm just unsure of how this all plays out once I get all the 5* quests done in single player/offline mode if it 'opens up' for me to do high rank stuff.

DaBoss

Are all monsters available for "High Rank" in offline? I'm about 3 quests short of completely all 5* quests for Moga Village and will go through the steps to get the higher rank quests, but I'm unclear if this will open everything up. I'm still only HR2 in Online (girl and I have been slowly chipping away).

I'm just unsure of how this all plays out once I get all the 5* quests done in single player/offline mode if it 'opens up' for me to do high rank stuff.

Yes, once you are done 5*, complete the urgent and then you will unlock High Rank in the village.

Fistwell

I've slain Jhen for the Village quest and also downloaded the DLC... I still don't see a way for me to search for Jhen groups or create one of my own. I'm HR7, is there something I need to so in the Port to unlock it?
The DLC Jhen requires HR8 to join and the quest is located in the HR8 quest list, so that's that. Dunno about high-rank Jhen however.

Ridley327

The DLC Jhen requires HR8 to join and the quest is located in the HR8 quest list, so that's that. Dunno about high-rank Jhen however.

IIRC, high rank Jhen is a HR5 Canteen quest that unlocks when the Dragonship is repaired; why it's not showing up in the lists for him at this point is a mystery.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man Nibelsnarf is so fricking annoying. Just jumps from one end of the map to the other like a moron making me chase him and run out of stamina. Idiot.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Man Nibelsnarf is so fricking annoying. Just jumps from one end of the map to the other like a moron making me chase him and run out of stamina. Idiot.

If you put down Barrel Bombs while he's doing that, he'll eat one (if you line it up correctly) and when it explodes, it'll stun him. Only works twice per battle, but gives you a chance to do a ton of damage.

IIRC, high rank Jhen is a HR5 Canteen quest that unlocks when the Dragonship is repaired; why it's not showing up in the lists for him at this point is a mystery.

Yeah, and I have that QUEST available to me, I just can't search for "Jhen Mohran" (or subspecies) using the group finder.

Dumb.

Alrus

If you put down Barrel Bombs while he's doing that, he'll eat one (if you line it up correctly) and when it explodes, it'll stun him. Only works twice per battle, but gives you a chance to do a ton of damage.

You have to fish him out when he's stunned afaik, if you don't, he'll do a spinning attack after a while.

Ridley327

I like all the tricks you can pull off with Nibelsnarf, but the biggest reason I don't like fighting him is his roar, as it sounds like a jet engine blowing into a broken harmonica.

DaBoss

Completed the first guild quest, unique mushrooms. That was boring and a chore. Tell me not all quests are like this.

It eases you into the game. The first few quests are boring, but if you don't get the hang of the game, you'll be wanting to have these kinds of quests once you face the large monsters.

Willectro

Banned
Is the game easier to control on 3DS with the CPP? Having never played MH, I downloaded the demo, and liked the game play but the controls are unforgivable (imo). I can't decide if this is worth the purchase or not.

DaBoss

Is the game easier to control on 3DS with the CPP? Having never played MH, I downloaded the demo, and liked the game play but the controls are unforgivable (imo). I can't decide if this is worth the purchase or not.

Definitely better with a CPP. I haven't used one though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Entirely playable without it, but when you mix in the high learning curve of the series in general, it can be a rough ride for newcomers. CPP will probably help you a lot with the second analog stick. We have an OG CPP, but we lent it to a friend for Monster Hunter. I'm using an XL now without the CPP. I would say pick one up being a new player, you'll probably enjoy yourself much more.

It's much, much better. You can get used to using the target cam but the CPP just makes everything so much peachier.

chrono01

I had no idea that the Grand Yamato armor was so great for GS-users.

I've been using the Diablos X set [Focus/Quick Sheath/Crit Draw/Tremor Resistance], but now I'm really tempted to focus on [finally] becoming HR7+ just so I can work towards the set. I'm currently HR7, so it shouldn't take me too long.

Would it be possible to achieve Focus/Quick Sheath/Crit Draw/Sharpness+1 on the Grand Yamato set, though? I'm really trying to find a set that grants me all of the above, but I'm finding it difficult. Sure, if I had a Godly charm it wouldn't be an issue, but alas my luck on that front is decent at best. ~_~

Did fight 3 Rathalos in a row and got a ruby and a mantle on the first run

iDCWW4gDGFccV.gif

Ridley327

I've been using the Diablos X set [Focus/Quick Sheath/Crit Draw/Tremor Resistance], but now I'm really tempted to focus on [finally] becoming HR7+ just so I can work towards the set. I'm currently HR7, so it shouldn't take me too long.

Would it be possible to achieve Focus/Quick Sheath/Crit Draw/Sharpness+1 on the Grand Yamato set, though? I'm really trying to find a set that grants me all of the above, but I'm finding it difficult. Sure, if I had a Godly charm it wouldn't be an issue, but alas my luck on that front is decent at best. ~_~

Easily, especially with a talisman, and the fact that you won't need to gem in anything to get Focus.

chrono01

Yeah, I'm looking at it now, Grand Yamato does look pretty nice.

A good amount of three slots, as well. My current weapon [Pale Kaiser] has three slots too, which will help, although I don't like to depend on those as much in-case I need to switch it out for whatever reason.

While I am happy with my current armor set, I at least have something new to work towards. This game seems to be full of that, and honestly, I would have it no other way!

This game is frustrating as shit to learn, and looks like ass on the 3DS.

That said, I just killed Qurupeco after several tries, and killed the Royal Ludroth on my first try. 'That feel' was good.

So, I really like it. Great feeling of accomplishment that I'm not used to getting in games anymore. It's like Dark Souls, but with an equipment and progression system that I enjoy more.

Ridley327

Yeah, I'm looking at it now, Grand Yamato does look pretty nice.

A good amount of three slots, as well. My current weapon [Pale Kaiser] has three slots too, which will help, although I don't like to depend on those as much in-case I need to switch it out for whatever reason.

While I am happy with my current armor set, I at least have something new to work towards. This game seems to be full of that, and honestly, I would have it no other way!

Yeah, a lot of the GSs I've been going after have been ones with three slots to make stuff like those situations a lot easier. It also helps that most of them tend to look awesome and do great damage, like the Pale Kaiser.

Ridley327

This may have already been discussed at some point, but I leafed through the strategy guide and noticed that all of the Alatreon equipment had DLC as their availability, which means we'll be getting a multiplayer-enabled version of him at some point. Sleepbombing runs will return!

Any good tips to learning GS or LS?

I have been playing SNS and am enjoying it, but I'd like to try something else.

Didn't much like lance (the mobility was kind of a dealbreaker for me so far). Haven't tried LS yet, but it seems intriguing. GS I've used a bit, but I'm still really grappling with timing (obviously).

I'm making Grand Hyuga and it's possible to get rocksteady, critical draw, focus, mind's eye, and sharpness +1 with an extra slot to gem out worrywart. If it's redundant then what skill would you suggest as an alternative to sharpness +1? I have a pretty good PunishDraw with Expert, Defense, Earplugs, Protection, Evasion, and Hunger talismans. [sorry for asking too many questions x)]
I don't know if it's been said in the past few pages, but a higher shapness gives bonus damage (I think). And if you bounce, you get a penalty. So having both sharpness+1 (for staying at high sharpness longer for bonus damage) and mind's eye (so you don't bounce and can continue combos and not get penalties) isn't completely redundant.

DaBoss

Any good tips to learning GS or LS?

I have been playing SNS and am enjoying it, but I'd like to try something else.

Didn't much like lance (the mobility was kind of a dealbreaker for me so far). Haven't tried LS yet, but it seems intriguing. GS I've used a bit, but I'm still really grappling with timing (obviously).

GS: Hit and sheathe/move. Don't get greedy.
Level 3 charge will deal a lot of damage. It's when there is a flash of white.

LS: Chain this attack: X -> X -> A -> Repeat
Once the gauge is filled, repeatedly press R. If you want, you can press X or A in between pressing the R button. Color of the sword goes from nothing -> White -> Yellow -> Purple (max). Try to keep it at max as much as possible.

That's the basic stuff about them.

Mupod

What kind of charms do you have? A sheathing+5 should be all you need for those skills. A +3 handicraft lets me get rock steady, sharpness+1, crit draw and sheathing using a mixmatched set of diablos X/vangis coil/grand yamato boots/ingot gloves.

Now that this games been out a while I want to ask opinions of people who picked up both versions. 3DS or Wii-U version? They are identical correct? The $40 price is leaning me more toward the 3DS version.

Rize_21

I did Mark of a hero* yesterday(43 minutes wew!),with the S.Zinogre bow and set(I have very low knowledges with this weapon class but the fun...mamamia),this quest would have been hardly feasible without his Greatness Kayamba and Cha-Cha,the Bracchydios was a serious problem,this and to keep a cool head too,I hope he'll appears in the arena quests for learn his moves and react more efficiently.
I'll redo this one later because it's a quite funny final quest.(easier than the duo Rajang in MHFU :,( )
*the duo should appears at the 12 minutes mark or around,I can't verify at the moment.

But seriously, please help. For the love of god.
I'll be online in less than an hour,if it's not too late.

Mupod

Now that this games been out a while I want to ask opinions of people who picked up both versions. 3DS or Wii-U version? They are identical correct? The $40 price is leaning me more toward the 3DS version.

I don't see how this is even a debatable thing unless you're away from home a lot. I am, and I just got both.

If I had to pick one, obviously I'd go with the Wii U. You can get online with the 3DS version via the packet relay tool, but why give yourself eye strain when you can play it in 1080p instead?

GS: Hit and sheathe/move. Don't get greedy.
Level 3 charge will deal a lot of damage. It's when there is a flash of white.

LS: Chain this attack: X -> X -> A -> Repeat
Once the gauge is filled, repeatedly press R. If you want, you can press X or A in between pressing the R button. Color of the sword goes from nothing -> White -> Yellow -> Purple (max). Try to keep it at max as much as possible.

That's the basic stuff about them.

Awesome, thanks!

What would you (or anyone) say is a good transition weapon after SNS (since that seems to be the recommended newbie weapon due to movement and speed)?

DaBoss

Awesome, thanks!

What would you (or anyone) say is a good transition weapon after SNS (since that seems to be the recommended newbie weapon due to movement and speed)?

I think Great Sword would be best. You will get used to a slower speed of combat compared to that of the SnS. It's really easy to learn, but it is hard to master like others said.

Mupod

Awesome, thanks!

SnS is great for learning monsters, but once you have the monster itself figured out it's surprisingly easy to pick up any other weapon.

Just try things out and stick with what you like.

windfish

Yay, just beat the mark of a hero quest! since i couldn't be online for the last 2 days, i wanted to catch up in offline for a bit, difficulty in the hero mission really raises A LOT from 9* quests!
Died once while playing too offensiv against lagi and got punished for bad thunder resistance more than one time!
GG at ChaCha and his medium health regeneration this must have been the only quest where they were really useful in battle! Managed to trap both lagi and los in 25 mins so brachi only was a matter of time and i played it slow, still had 13 minutes left when the final blow shots his poor soul to hell!
Really liked the quest and not that much of a problem with g-rank gear, thou i missed Festwills healings when i was being stunned, poisened and on fire all at the same time from los, while having eyecontact with a fist licking brachydios, intense moment that was :D anyway, hope i'll find the time to hop online in the next days, MH is not quite the same experience without Gaf :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom