• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even understand the Jhen Moran fight.
I have no idea where it came from.
Lagiacrus and Ceadeus fights both had a story attached and some significance.
Jhen was just thrown in there with no build up or relevance.

I understand it was different on the Wii version?

Fewr

I'm doing Baleful Gigginox to get its armor. I've gone from using 10+ mega potions per fight to now using 4-5. It still takes me about 25mins per fight though.

By the weekend I think I should have the armor, and could then move on to other high rank quests.

It was an event, of sorts. Jhen would show up once a month for a few days, the online hub would be having a constant sandstorm to signify it. Other than that, it was the same as in Ultimate though.

Liethe

Ceadeus was no different in that regard. He was literally "thrown in there", with you AND the guild only learning about his presence just before you fight him. Nobody knows anything about it except for the fact it has been around for ages, apparently. Heck, the villagers all thought the earthquakes were caused by Lagiacrus until you beat him.

Jhen is known as some mythological/holy beast who comes along now and then from the desert. When he approaches a sandstorm precedes him, and the people in Loc Lac take this sign to mean the "festival" is beginning, which is what they call the event of going after Jhen in Dragonships to repel him from the city and mine valuables from his back in the process.

So as you see, there was actually more to Jhen than Ceadeus. :p

Mupod

If you think Jhen is an 'out of nowhere' fight you should see Yamatsukami, which was an urgent towards the end of MHFU's g-rank. Pretty much went into that blind and somehow managed to down it in the time limit while saying 'WHAT THE FUCK AM I FIGHTING'. His mouth
full of human teeth
gave me nightmares.

but yeah he was built up more in Tri, where you needed to go online to fight it. I really liked the idea of a monster that's both dreaded and celebrated and the dialogue the Loc Lac inhabitants had during the sandstorm. The cheap items were nice too...

Found these on GameFAQs.

First one is pretty much what I'm in the process of making, although I bet that charm is way better than any of mine. I am going for most of those skills though. That LBG is a really good all-purpose weapon, if I was only going to make one LBG it'd be that. Kettleblower is THE status bowgun though, and it looks/sounds AMAZING.

Second one...I love that gun, but I'd never use HBG without evade extender. Not only does it save my life constantly it allows me to be more aggressive and keep in my effective ranges.

Would it be possible to achieve Focus/Quick Sheath/Crit Draw/Sharpness+1 on the Grand Yamato set, though? I'm really trying to find a set that grants me all of the above, but I'm finding it difficult. Sure, if I had a Godly charm it wouldn't be an issue, but alas my luck on that front is decent at best. ~_~

Easily, especially with a talisman, and the fact that you won't need to gem in anything to get Focus.

I'm not seeing any way to get all four of those skills with that set without an insanely specific charm with a ton of slots on both that and the weapon. This set seems pretty ace for those skills. Although most resistances are kinda low, it has a low charm and slot requirement.

Edit: 'Hapul' means Nibelsnarf!

Chuckpebble

Need some quick advice: When trading with the Argosy captain, if there is a (-) or (+) sign to the commodity I'm offering, which one is good and which one is bad?

Minus is always bad, regardless of whether its your item or his. So, if something he offers has a minus on it, it means the cost of the commodity increased. If something you are offering has a minus on it, it means the cost of your commodity has decreased. Either way the minus represents the fact that you'll be getting less of a return on your trade, the plus is always better.

So looking through quests online and some are marked "Key". Does this mean that these open up the next level quests or is it; complete key quests > open up urgent > open up the next level?

Rize_21

Just some tips for new players wanting to try out the bow. Collect Elemental weapons along with armor sets that increase that type of damage. Finding the correct weakness for what you fight is half the battle. Low level sets like Ludroth for Water, Baggi for Ice, Rathian/Rathalos for Fire and the Ingot Set is a great set for Lightning/Thunder which will help you massively when hunting Rathians/Rathalos and a good few others.

Also, the arrow rain is a great tool for getting those status attacks off, getting a good flinch in and for general purpose damage. Make sure you practice the distance you need to attack them and instead of aiming at them, you will be able to manually hit them without having to aim exactly on them. Really great if you run circles around the enemy while they struggle to focus on you and is faster than having to charge, aim and shoot. Also helps since you can keep an eye on what else is happening around you.

Since you will usually always have less armor than the Blademaster sets, don't forget to upgrade when you get the chance but the best advice is to stay as mobile as possible. :D
I'd like to know if there's a context where you must use level charges or should stick with the arrow rain(with energy/mega juices) until the monster is captured/dead.
I tried against R.Duramboros in the arena and got him around 14 minutes with arrow rain mostly,if not everytime,but the S rank is 8 minutes.I'm still wondering what did I do wrong . :/

Hoodbury

Minus is always bad, regardless of whether its your item or his. So, if something he offers has a minus on it, it means the cost of the commodity increased. If something you are offering has a minus on it, it means the cost of your commodity has decreased. Either way the minus represents the fact that you'll be getting less of a return on your trade, the plus is always better.

I don't have the screen in front of me at the moment but I think you are incorrect. If there is a minus on his stuff that means you can get more of it.

Arveene

Neo Member
I don't have the screen in front of me at the moment but I think you are incorrect. If there is a minus on his stuff that means you can get more of it.

It's less. Normally you can get five pitfall traps at once from him. If there is a minus, you can only get four.

Chuckpebble

It's less. Normally you can get five pitfall traps at once from him. If there is a minus, you can only get four.

Ah, that's a good measure. I was gonna attempt to compare with photos, but I'm at that point where the Cap'n won't leave and I'm in no rush to move things along at the moment.

Thanks for the Jhen explanations guys, I'm happy to now have some context for the beast whose ass I kicked (if by that I mean laboured against for 42 minutes of course!) the online stuff sounds very cool.
Hopefully they'll have similar communal event hunts in 4.
God I can't wait for 4!
I'm playing on the 3DS and it's been my first MH, fiending for some online stuff now.

Finished my Lagi + Armor. I feel slightly less like a drain on whatever group I'm playing with now. Except when dealing with fire. Holy shite that armor can't handle heat.

P.S. Loving that I can sharpen in a quick second now!

So can anyone tell me if gemming Health is a waste if you always use Mega Nutrients to achieve max HP? Do the gems (+10 to Health skill) raise the max HP threshhold, or am I wasting the slots?

Hoodbury

So can anyone tell me if gemming Health is a waste if you always use Mega Nutrients to achieve max HP? Do the gems (+10 to Health skill) raise the max HP threshhold, or am I wasting the slots?

Kinda a waste in my opinion. You can also just eat for full health as well.

Ridley327

I personally find Health to be a thoroughly useless skill because of the food boosts serving the same purpose.

muu

You should always be carrying a couple Max Potions for when you KO, anyway. Doesn't cost much more than 1000G for what's basically cheap insurance. Pisses me off to no end when people repeatedly cart because they don't carry easily accessible and combinable items... the only thing you could get away w/ not having is a pitfall trap, and even those are easy to keep in stock if you keep your fishing fleet active and trade Argosy for them.

Fistwell

You should always be carrying a couple Max Potions for when you KO, anyway. Doesn't cost much more than 1000G for what's basically cheap insurance.
Eh, I always bring some if I expect there's any chance for me to cart, but otherwise it's kind of a waste of an inventory slot. I usually don't bring one if it's a run of the mill g rank monster.

Jeeze, anyone get to the Village quest Mark of a Hero, last one before Alatreon. it's fucking bullshit!!
Hahaha, yeah we're aware. Bet your ass I brought max pots for that.

Reached HR7 urgent playing with randoms. The lack of coordination and general dickishness (wtf is knocking people into the air when they're gathering after a quest?) really soured me along the way. Farming rooms are a lot better in that regard since its all about efficiency which leads to people being mostly thoughtful but, yeah, no more of that.

I am far enough into the game I would know that by now. Appreciate the help, but dumping all of my items into my box is always the first thing that I do. I didn't actually reread the name of the item though when dumping it.

On a sidenote; does anyone else find it odd that you can't go to the smith with items on your person for upgrades, but instead have to rely on your magic box of holding that's nowhere near you? How the hell does the smith get those items in the first place?

You missed the other responses, but apparently it does count pouch items, they're just separated from the box.

When you run into monsters in the Moga Woods after you've killed them via a quest, are they easier? I ran into quruopeco and was able to kill him without getting carted once. Could I just be improving!?!?

Agnak S seems so good for HR Fire DS users who don't want to rely on juices.
Fire Atk+1
Constitution+1
Razor Sharp
Flame Aura

Can easily gem in Marathon Runner, and upgrade either Fire Atk or Constitution. If I had a better charm I could get them all.

Is there a G rank equivalent of Leather Armor (for gathering runs), or is Azuros X + gems the best bet?

I'm using a charmer, erm, charm, two pieces of Azuros X (head and waist for the charmer skill) and leather+ for the rest. When gemmed it gives me Divine Whim, Gathering +2, Speed Gather and Charmer.

explodet

When you run into monsters in the Moga Woods after you've killed them via a quest, are they easier? I ran into quruopeco and was able to kill him without getting carted once. Could I just be improving!?!?
I don't believe there's much difference between quest and free hunt monsters. You are improving, though. The ease of hunts through skill/equipment improvement are significant in this game.

You're improving, and that's awesome!

Dope. =D

I was able to do it with GS too (SNS first time). Feel like my timing is improving a bit. I think I need to get a GS with green sharpness so I can knock off those flints.

Is there a good guide on how elemental effects work on weapons? If I have, for example, a "WA 80" weapon, what does that mean? (I know the WA is water, but I wonder what the 80 is.)

Ridley327

Dope. =D

I was able to do it with GS too (SNS first time). Feel like my timing is improving a bit. I think I need to get a GS with green sharpness so I can knock off those flints.

Is there a good guide on how elemental effects work on weapons? If I have, for example, a "WA 80" weapon, what does that mean? (I know the WA is water, but I wonder what the 80 is.)

The 80 pertains to the raw damage that it does to monsters that are weak to Water. IIRC, the real world value is that number divided by 10.

Raide

Good work! Quro can be a big hurdle for many new players, just because it seems to take so long to chase the damn thing around.

Next Stop...Rathian!

blackflag

Good morning Monster Hunter GAF. I have a couple questions after beating Dire Miralis last night.

Is Megiddo Blaze a good Great Sword? I've mostly used hammers in all my MH games but I made this and tested it out. It seemed ok but the raw doesn't seem that high. I'm not sure if that is a big deal for Greatswords. I'm wondering if I should put these Miralis pieces to a different use.

Gold Rathian...ack. How much health? I was trying to solo him and he seemed like he had a billion health. I couldn't even cut his tail off. I wasn't totally ready because I was just messing around and wanted to try and fight him but yeah, she seemed like she must have had a ton of health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom