• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you need to run a "Packet Relay Tool" app that is a free download for the Wii U in order to take the 3DS version of the game online. You do NOT need to own the Wii U version of the game itself in order to do this, but you do need to have a Wii U console. Think PSP -> PS3 Ad-Hoc Party, except this is specifically for MH3U.

I hope there will be a PC hack for this. I'm not planning on picking up a Wii U anytime soon, but want to hunt Jaggies with bros.

Damn, this game is too balanced. I keep trying to rig up a flawless armor/weapon combo, but for every skill I want I have to give up another. There's just no way to have it all. Damn you Capcom! I wanna be OP. =(

blackflag

New to G-rank, I grinded the 2x Jaggi + 2x Volvidon quest to get the materials for Jaggi X, did a bit of harvesting and checked the blacksmith to see what new armor sets I could make. Suddenly I understood the whole new world of grinding that opened up before me like a dark sinkhole from hell, inviting me to throw the rest of my life away. The 160 hours spent so far feel like practice. I feel small and meaningless and my controller is starting to talk to me.

Haha this happened to me. I got to hr8 last night then uncapped to hr24. Now I gotta start grinding for the best great sword and hammer sets. Never did any grinding before except brachy and killing gold caedus 6 times for my helios z set. Now the real monster hunter begins.

DaBoss

I really hate the way Advanced quests cycle. I need to complete one (I think?) before getting a gold checkmark. But damn, there was a lot of Advanced quests. I don't want to do HR7 quests before doing all of the Advanced quests.

vareon

Epic hunt last night.

After a bad hunt of G Brachydios which carted me and my friend both at the same time, thus failing the quest, we decided to call it a day. But before that, since I unlocked Stygian Zinogre earlier that night, I asked my friend "Hey why don't we check it out? I'm curious about his moves."

So we jump in. Stupidly I brought Cold Drinks instead of Hot Drinks in the Tundra. What's more, I didn't bring any well-done steak and my BBQ spit. After getting exactly one steak from my friend, we proceed to the fight which was extremely dangerous. At one time my stamina bar was almost completely depleted, but fortunately I was wearing Barioth X armor so my evade rolls didn't take that much stamina. We was about to abandon the quest, but then something hit us--he didn't hit that hard. The hunt is doable.

20 minutes and two carting later, supplies arrived. We rushed back to the base to resupply.

Even with the new supplies, my stamina was soon back to its lowest. We played very safe, me using LS and my friend using DS. At about 35ish minutes, just as we despaired that the S.Zin looked very healthy despite our beatings, he began limping out. "Is this it?" so we moved to the next area, laid a shock trap, and captured him.

Then S.Zin Skymerald appeared in the quest reward.

Exhumed

Mark of a Hero is incredibly hard. Its just too much to handle when Brachy and Rath focused on you.

I was down to Brachy and ran out of healing items. 5 mins left and i knew he was low. Set a trap and he decides to turn and jump on me. So close....

I feel like it'd be cheap to wait till G-rank. I feel like I was super close this time :(

DaBoss

Mark of a Hero is incredibly hard. Its just too much to handle when Brachy and Rath focused on you.

I was down to Brachy and ran out of healing items. 5 mins left and i knew he was low. Set a trap and he decides to turn and jump on me. So close....

I feel like it'd be cheap to wait till G-rank. I feel like I was super close this time :(

Do you use farcasters? Bring exciteshrooms and bomb casings and take advantage of farcasters so you don't have to use your healing items a lot.

RobbieNick

Woot! I finally got myself a full set of armor instead of a mish-mash of different sets. Got myself a full set of Duramboros armor and I look like a satanic Odin..

Exhumed

Do you use farcasters? Bring exciteshrooms and bomb casings and take advantage of farcasters so you don't have to use your healing items a lot.

If I don't make it this run I think I'll give this a shot. I always carry one but its a good idea to carry more.

Ultratech

I must have appeased the Desire Sensor. (Or RNG Gods.)

Wouldn't give me Rathian Mantles, but blessed me with 3 Earth Dragonspires. (Carved 2 from one quest!)

So now I can make a full Jhen set now. :D
Not sure what to put on it yet though.

jercruz

rath and brachy hates each other, just run around (drink dash juice) for a while and they will start bashing one another. then when rath stamina is low, focus on brachy. later rath actually killed brachy for me and had a low stamina, so i bashed him with the hammer over and over until i win.

Exhumed

YES! Mark of the Hero is complete! Finished Brachy off with a barrel bomb to the face!

rath and brachy hates each other, just run around (drink dash juice) for a while and they will start bashing one another. then when rath stamina is low, focus on brachy. later rath actually killed brachy for me and had a low stamina, so i bashed him with the hammer over and over until i win.

Thats basically what I did. Rath went down first and by then Brachy was pretty low. Few flash bombs and traps did the trick.

Thank you GAF for helping me with my Adv Quests! We also did Savage, Abyssal and Hallowed! I was expecting to get my HR6-8 Award tonight, but I still have to unlock some quests.

I think I'll resume my hunt for a Free Element 7 now.

CPCunha

Just finished the duramboros set and got all parts up to lvl5... was that a mistake?
I'm about to fight Caedeus for the first time... goddamn this game...

Fewr

I'm doing Baleful Gigginox to get its armor. I've gone from using 10+ mega potions per fight to now using 4-5. It still takes me about 25mins per fight though.

By the weekend I think I should have the armor, and could then move on to other high rank quests.

Update: I am now doing Baleful Gigginox using zero potions (only rations and healing dances), and the A button on my 3DS seldom works, so I have to use mostly X only.

I proclaim myself a BGigginox expert.

Ryuuga

Banned
Thank you GAF for helping me with my Adv Quests! We also did Savage, Abyssal and Hallowed! I was expecting to get my HR6-8 Award tonight, but I still have to unlock some quests.

I think I'll resume my hunt for a Free Element 7 now.

Good hunt!

Have some of the highlights up

Twitch:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Gobul/Plesioth/Wro- err Savage Jho

Rathian/Pink Rathian

If you're having any issues with audio reload the video until the sound comes through. I'll have some youtube links available a while later.

Youtube:

G Rank Playsession

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Multi-monster quest featuring Savage Jho

DaBoss

Found out that the final Advanced quest for HR6 for me was the double B. Gigginox quest (oh, what fun...). It didn't go bad, and went better than expected except for the last 4 minutes. I spent 4 minutes waiting for the second B. Gigginox to go into the trap so I can cap it. I had 2 traps set and it wouldn't even go for either of them. Just kept spamming electric balls even though it was hungry and couldn't do it!

Which bow tree should I go into? I'm still low and pretty poor.

Arko Nulo
Hunter's Bow
Wroggi Revolver
Sponge Gear

Wroggi sounds good, as I like the idea of poison, however, I still haven't killed a Wroggi and am wondering if I should farm for Arko Nulo, then start hunting Wroggi with that--or if I should try to grind Wroggi with my melee weapons and jump straight in with that. Thoughts?

L Thammy

Might be a little tangential, but I thought this was cool.

I've been posting a bunch of crappy drawings in Miiverse. Excuse the poor photo quality; don't have a better camera:

3954Ob7.jpg

This Japanese deep thinker must surf the American community, since he Yeah'd this. "No border in HUNTER" indeed!

Which led to a short exchange of Gundam/MonHun jokes.

Exhumed

Any advice on Alatreon? I seemed to do fine against him and learned his moves fairly quickly. However, I ran out of time. Are G-rank weapons required for him?

jercruz

Any advice on Alatreon? I seemed to do fine against him and learned his moves fairly quickly. However, I ran out of time. Are G-rank weapons required for him?

you don't need G-rank equipment at all.

I used g. agna set with upgraded rustshard lance (you can max it in high rank). bring lots of dash potion and materials to make more (mega dash too if you have them). guard+2 and guard boost will protect you against lighting attacks.

the trick with ala is to time the ballista binder with his flight mode. at first you're going to have to run around until its ready. then use it to bring ala down, its better if its close to you when you do that (don't worry alatreon loves to flying charge you when you use an item or when you are going to use the ballista). then poke away while its down, you can bomb the head to break the horns. then just repeat that over and over until its dead (30-40 mins). you can use the other ballista if you want, it helps kill alatreon quicker.

use the ancient and ultimate masks on the shakalas, make sure you keep them close.

there are instances where alatreon can OHKO you, mostly when its flying and slamming the ground with lightning attacks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh man, vanilla Giggi almost destroyed me in the Giggi + B. Giggi quest. (B. Giggi was a cakewalk comparatively.)

In LR I used Wroggi armor and he was cake, with non-poison-cancelling armor he's ridiculous... now I remember why I feared him so much in Tri.

Thinking about the 3x Giggi quest I've yet to do... I think I'll forge Wroggi S next. :p

So is Helios X the best High Rank armor overall?

It has Free Element and HG Earplugs, as well as 4 Handicraft. As far as I'm concerned, those seem like the three best abilities in the game.

So is it really a good idea to make a bunch of elemental weapons? It seems like pumping up an affinity weapon is better overall, at least for longswords.

For instance, Megrez's Asterism has a 50% chance for 125% damage, which means you're averaging 113% pure damage. With Expert +3, it's 80%, or 120% pure damage.

• A typical longsword's element is about a third of the value of its raw damage.
  • Hitting a monster's raw weakpoint does about 50%, and its elemental weakpoint is about 25%, give or take depending on the monster. Raw damage generally scales much better than elemental, reaching near 100% on some weakpoints whereas elemental doesn't often scale higher than 30%.
  • So, if an elemental longsword does 133% the combined damage value of an affinity weapon and elemental damage generally does about half the damage of raw, an elemental weapon averages about 117% pure damage.
  • This means that you're typically spending extra time grinding and preparing for specific matchups based on a ~3.5% damage advantage over 50% affinity, which is easily gained with expert 2/3 for any good affinity weapon. Obviously, an affinity weapon never needs to be swapped out.

Of course, there's a much larger selection of elemental weapons and I'm sure on an individual basis many of them outclass Asterism, but if you consider the amount of extra effort needed for a full array of elemental weapons, it seems to me that affinity has the advantage.

Of course, SnS/DS have a much larger elemental damage output than LS, and GS/Hammer are clearly raw anyway. And slime fucks up everything.

dubq

Just got the shipping notice from NOA for my XL CPP! Woot! Been playing a lot of this on 3DS since I picked up the system and game earlier this week.

Epic hunt last night.

/snip

Even with the new supplies, my stamina was soon back to its lowest. We played very safe, me using LS and my friend using DS. At about 35ish minutes, just as we despaired that the S.Zin looked very healthy despite our beatings, he began limping out. "Is this it?" so we moved to the next area, laid a shock trap, and captured him.

Then S.Zin Skymerald appeared in the quest reward.

This puts a tear in my eye. It's stories like these that makes MH so worth while....

of course, there are countless other stories where you farm 100 of the same mob and still don't find a mantle

He actually was... not that bad. I remember Rajang being worse, God I hate Rajang...

You and me, bro. I had a tough time fighting Rajang as well. Took me a while to complete Dual Rajang. i don't even remember how to fight Rajang now.

Ridley327

I got a Lagiacrus Mantle and a Rathian Mantle off of tail carves tonight. :smug

Great hunts, guys! Hallowed Jhen is a fun little remix, if I may say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom