• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodbury

Gold Rathian...ack. How much health? I was trying to solo him and he seemed like he had a billion health. I couldn't even cut his tail off. I wasn't totally ready because I was just messing around and wanted to try and fight him but yeah, she seemed like she must have had a ton of health.

Life finds a way...

:p

The 80 pertains to the raw damage that it does to monsters that are weak to Water. IIRC, the real world value is that number divided by 10.

A) So it only matters if they are actively weak to the element? (As in: Only monsters WEAK to Water will be hurt by it; not any monster other than ones STRONG to Water.)
B) I thought there was something about status ailment proc-rate or threshold. How does that work? (A link to a guide would be fine, or I'll just look for one later when I have more time; I'm just not sure what the terms are in this game.) My guess on this is that elemental is purely a damage thing, and status effects (poison, para, ???) are a proc or threshold thing?

Rize_21

Oh,and about the banabarahas:
G Harvest tour : deserted Island provides 10 to 12 of them in the Rathian's nest.(zone 8)Be careful with Kayamba and Cha-Cha if you're planning to use poison bombs to carve the insects,it may be better to let the Shakalakas in the village.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I bring them with me and just keep signaling them to keep them from killing the bugs. They will often give me 3-4 more carves per farming trip, so they're too useful to leave behind.

Rize_21

I bring them with me and just keep signaling them to keep them from killing the bugs. They will often give me 3-4 more carves per farming trip, so they're too useful to leave behind.
Ah indeed!there's also a skill for carve one more time too.I don't know the name in english,Pro carver maybe?the Lucent Narga armor has this skill activated.

Ridley327

A) So it only matters if they are actively weak to the element? (As in: Only monsters WEAK to Water will be hurt by it; not any monster other than ones STRONG to Water.)
B) I thought there was something about status ailment proc-rate or threshold. How does that work? (A link to a guide would be fine, or I'll just look for one later when I have more time; I'm just not sure what the terms are in this game.) My guess on this is that elemental is purely a damage thing, and status effects (poison, para, ???) are a proc or threshold thing?

A. Correct; it gets ignored otherwise
B. Status works in the way that you think it does; rather than applying additional damage to a monster, it puts points towards their threshold for that particular status. Once you go past it, the status is inflicted, but then the counter resets once it hits it, and in most cases will require even more points to inflict it again.

Thoraxes

Yes, we did a good job. :p

I'll send you a list of useful links Andrex, for OT2. I've procrastinated on putting it in the second post lol

Even though I feel like i'm progressing slowly compared to you guys, I am happy to be in a nice community.

I've had good runs from people in here and it's always been a positive experience.

A. Correct; it gets ignored otherwise
B. Status works in the way that you think it does; rather than applying additional damage to a monster, it puts points towards their threshold for that particular status. Once you go past it, the status is inflicted, but then the counter resets once it hits it, and in most cases will require even more points to inflict it again.

Awesome. I love systems.

So unless I am fighting something weak to an element, the only thing that matters is raw damage (for ele purposes).

Are poison, para, sleep, KO, (and are there others?) basically effective against everyone?

Ridley327

Awesome. I love systems.

So unless I am fighting something weak to an element, the only thing that matters is raw damage (for ele purposes).

Are poison, para, sleep, KO, (and are there others?) basically effective against everyone?
Exhaust kinda counts as a status effect, even though it merely helps to make their stamina deplete faster.

As for the question at hand, monsters are typically susceptible to every status effect, barring the giant elder dragons.

The Argosy Captain's been sticking around for a really long time? Will he not leave until I beat Brachydios? I'm not ready yet :(

He's doing the same thing in my game and he has *not* left after defeating Brachydios. :(

I don't know what to do to get him to leave - I've even advanced onto the 8 star village quests but he still just sticks around. Means I can't get bizzy bees to finish upgrading my farm's honey production or get other stuff I'd like (like some new masks) because he won't ever change his inventory.

Feels like a bug to me and from the little bit of research I could find online it seems like it is a bug that apparently may work itself out eventually but it just continues to frustrate me...

Mupod

He's doing the same thing in my game and he has *not* left after defeating Brachydios. :(

I don't know what to do to get him to leave - I've even advanced onto the 8 star village quests but he still just sticks around. Means I can't get bizzy bees to finish upgrading my farm's honey production or get other stuff I'd like (like some new masks) because he won't ever change his inventory.

Feels like a bug to me and from the little bit of research I could find online it seems like it is a bug that apparently may work itself out eventually but it just continues to frustrate me...

It's not a bug. He'll leave eventually. I think he gets stuck in port again at a later phase so maybe you progressed into that one already?

But yeah I made the mistake of having him skip a bunch of ports right before that happened.

Anyone want to come online and help me with HR7 G rank quests? Or if you need help with any quests, i can see what i can do.

World Free C, Lobby 9, room GAF, usual pass as in OP.

Beats

Anyone have any quick resource point gathering tips?

I'm a little bored killing R. Ludroth over and over again.

Kill or Capture Uragaan to get lava nuggets. You get about 1500 I think per nugget and I usually get at least 2 per run. The most I've ever gotten from him was 8.

New to G-rank, I grinded the 2x Jaggi + 2x Volvidon quest to get the materials for Jaggi X, did a bit of harvesting and checked the blacksmith to see what new armor sets I could make. Suddenly I understood the whole new world of grinding that opened up before me like a dark sinkhole from hell, inviting me to throw the rest of my life away. The 160 hours spent so far feel like practice. I feel small and meaningless and my controller is starting to talk to me.

Bumhead

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is the 3DS version of this worth buying?

I hear the lack of online is a blow but considering picking up the XL bundle with this and curious as to how good the 3DS version is, as a mostly single player experience.

DaBoss

500 more posts!

New to G-rank, I grinded the 2x Jaggi + 2x Volvidon quest to get the materials for Jaggi X, did a bit of harvesting and checked the blacksmith to see what new armor sets I could make. Suddenly I understood the whole new world of grinding that opened up before me like a dark sinkhole from hell, inviting me to throw the rest of my life away. The 160 hours spent so far feel like practice. I feel small and meaningless and my controller is starting to talk to me.

:lol

This post gets a 11/10.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is the 3DS version of this worth buying?

I hear the lack of online is a blow but considering picking up the XL bundle with this and curious as to how good the 3DS version is, as a mostly single player experience.

I'm a fan of Monster Hunter, so I am a bit biased, but I think the 3DS version is totally worth it. I think of Monster Hunter like the Smash Bros series. It is really fun alone and worth it, but multiplayer is where the game shines.

I have nearly 200 hours and am still not done and having a blast.

There isn't online in the 3DS?

Nope. There is a sort of an "ad-hoc like" solution.

There isn't online in the 3DS?

chrono01

ell I finally moved from HR7 --> HR 44. Now I can focus on whatever quests I want and gather whatever materials I need to upgrade my weapons/armor.

First step? Hallowed Jhen Mohran. I need his armor. After that, who knows!? The possibilities [and time] are endless.

Raide

At an impasse. Need to upgrade some of my bows and armor but many tings need tails. Game is going to force me to use a blade weapon just to cut tails isn't it? Bah.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So, beat Caedus.. and went to do the first HR village quest (3DS)... holy shit did thinks ramp up quick.

I beat him pretty easily.. but it took FOREVER.. and I was out of potions.. I was fighting reckless though as I thought since cutting his tail was so easy that he'd fall quick.

I was so wrong.

Just beat my first Deviljho!!! I gotta say, I'm pretty proud of myself. Ran away the first four times he sneaked in my quest and finally decided today was the day to hunt back!

He actually was... not that bad. I remember Rajang being worse, God I hate Rajang...

The bow's melee can cut off tails, but I don't recommend doing this.

Better or worse at tail cutting than SNS?

--

Man, it's weird. I *hope* this game really hooks me, but I'm just not quite there. I can see correlations to Diablo 2 in a lot of it, but it isn't infecting my brain in the same way. It might just be that I haven't found a weapon or tactic that I am married to yet.

Wait, is the "use your Wii U to play the 3DS version online" thing out in the US? I was under the impression that the packet relay tool hadn't been released yet.

Raide

I thought bows could take off tails? Or is it just a super pain in the ass?

So long winded. Probably use 50 mins up trying to slice it off. Need some Razor Coating added or something. Really annoying having to make another set just to chop bits off.

Oh well. Made a LS and will chop enough bits to make my gear. Unfortunately I know tail cuts are a thing all through the game.

Better or worse at tail cutting than SNS?

--

Man, it's weird. I *hope* this game really hooks me, but I'm just not quite there. I can see correlations to Diablo 2 in a lot of it, but it isn't infecting my brain in the same way. It might just be that I haven't found a weapon or tactic that I am married to yet.

What weapon are you using? I thin the draw for me is trying to progress. Sometimes the path is not really clear unless you do some research as to what path you want to go. Huge gear time-sink in MH, mainly due to having to make everything. :D

Anyone want to come online and help me with HR7 G rank quests? Or if you need help with any quests, i can see what i can do.

World Free C, Lobby 9, room GAF, usual pass as in OP.

ryz

Finally arrived in G-rank! Goldbeard Ceadeus was easier than i thought, he was down in 30 minutes on my first-ish try. Even though the fight is a lot more bearable than the regular Ceadeus, i'm not sure if i want to farm him for his set. But luckily (i really have had too much luck in this game) both a dark and a deep dragongem dropped, i might as well do it..

Also tried Mark of a Hero. The Ivory Lagiacrus was super HUGE and was doable with my Lagiacrus U set, but the Brachy A.Los combo brought me to my knees :f

So long winded. Probably use 50 mins up trying to slice it off. Need some Razor Coating added or something. Really annoying having to make another set just to chop bits off.

Oh well. Made a LS and will chop enough bits to make my gear. Unfortunately I know tail cuts are a thing all through the game.

What weapon are you using? I thin the draw for me is trying to progress. Sometimes the path is not really clear unless you do some research as to what path you want to go. Huge gear time-sink in MH, mainly due to having to make everything. :D

Right now I'm jumping back and forth between SNS and GS.

I'm interested in bow too, but haven't had much success with it. I might build the best one I can, and just go hunt g. jaggies until I get the hang of it. Aiming is a pain in the arse.

(I'm totally new to the series, only about 20 hours, and just beat Royal Ludroth. Have yet to attempt the poison jaggie thing or the barroth.)

Mikor

Wait, I can't play MH online if I only have it on 3DS? =O

Yeah, you need to run a "Packet Relay Tool" app that is a free download for the Wii U in order to take the 3DS version of the game online. You do NOT need to own the Wii U version of the game itself in order to do this, but you do need to have a Wii U console. Think PSP -> PS3 Ad-Hoc Party, except this is specifically for MH3U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom