• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFu

Banned
Fun night of hunting. Failed a lot more tonight than before, but I guess that's the nature of G Rank.

Ramyeon, this is the latest I stayed up playing MH the past 2 days.... Coincidence???

Had a lot of fun tonight.

Made it to HR5 with some random hunters online.

Killed a Glacial Agnaktor and an Azure Ratholos.
But then we faced a Deviljho and... it didn't end well.

Hattori

Banned
Just fought Abyssal Lagi with GS, got two shotted, fought him again with dire lance, down in 10 mins. Learned a valuable lesson that GS does not solve everything (especially underwater)

ramyeon

Fun night of hunting. Failed a lot more tonight than before, but I guess that's the nature of G Rank.

Ramyeon, this is the latest I stayed up playing MH the past 2 days.... Coincidence???
Haha nice, I seem to always be on during afternoons so haven't had the pleasure of a late night session yet :(

Good hunts today though, I felt a bit rusty getting back into it after so much time away with Fire Emblem the past 2 days :p

vareon

I have a Pallium, but is upgrading a slime weapon to max worth it? I feel tt's powerful enough already, and the increase isn't that high. I have no interest in making Brachy X though so I...don't know what to do with this Pallium.

blackflag

Why u no give me hard horn? Seriously killed like 30 diablos and black diablos today. I need 2 but didn't even get 1.

Still those multiple diablos fights are always fun andkeep you on your. Toes.

Raide

Right now I'm jumping back and forth between SNS and GS.

I'm interested in bow too, but haven't had much success with it. I might build the best one I can, and just go hunt g. jaggies until I get the hang of it. Aiming is a pain in the arse.

(I'm totally new to the series, only about 20 hours, and just beat Royal Ludroth. Have yet to attempt the poison jaggie thing or the barroth.)

After a few goes, aiming is pretty easy. The lock-on feature comes in super handy when you run around the place dodging monsters. You will always fight at range but no hopes of sniping them from miles away. :D You have the aiming line you can use for getting the right shot and also for the arrow-rain but try to learn the manual version and what distance it needs. Soon you will be dropping death from the sky without touching the aiming-mode.

Which bow tree should I go into? I'm still low and pretty poor.

Arko Nulo
Hunter's Bow
Wroggi Revolver
Sponge Gear

Wroggi sounds good, as I like the idea of poison, however, I still haven't killed a Wroggi and am wondering if I should farm for Arko Nulo, then start hunting Wroggi with that--or if I should try to grind Wroggi with my melee weapons and jump straight in with that. Thoughts?

Get Arko Nulo upgraded and you can then choose between a Thunder/Lightning(Y), Fire(R) & Ice(W). You will end up needing them all. :D Advice going forward. Get a basic poison bow like Wroggi's and poison all the bugs you see and carve them. You will need their bits to keep upgrading.

Sponge Gear is a basic water set but keep upgrading it for the Amethyst Gear.

Why u no give me hard horn? Seriously killed like 30 diablos and black diablos today. I need 2 but didn't even get 1.

Still those multiple diablos fights are always fun andkeep you on your. Toes.

The best way to get Diablos' hardhorn is to do the quest called Plain Dangerous (Black Diablos + Sand Barioth). The chances are pretty high.

Trust me on this.

Fewr

Found out that the final Advanced quest for HR6 for me was the double B. Gigginox quest (oh, what fun...). It didn't go bad, and went better than expected except for the last 4 minutes. I spent 4 minutes waiting for the second B. Gigginox to go into the trap so I can cap it. I had 2 traps set and it wouldn't even go for either of them. Just kept spamming electric balls even though it was hungry and couldn't do it!
I've set up a trap only to have gigginox do its jumping move again and again, with the trap in the middle. I now set the trap at a preferrably narrow place, a bit close to a door.

Mupod

The best way to get Diablos' hardhorn is to do the quest called Plain Dangerous (Black Diablos + Sand Barioth). The chances are pretty high.

Trust me on this.

Can it be a quest reward (top box) in that one? The main problem with it is that you're pretty much hoping for it to show up as a break reward. All of mine were from breaking all the horns in the 3x diablos advanced quest which is tedious and you still don't have much of a chance to get it.

You and me, bro. I had a tough time fighting Rajang as well. Took me a while to complete Dual Rajang. i don't even remember how to fight Rajang now.

Circle left! Funny thing is I use the opposite strategy gunning Glacial Agnaktor and he can't touch me.

beje

Banned
Lol, Brach weapons are awesome. Just had some rounds where everyone were using one and monsters where on the ground more often than standing up.

Fewr

How many save files can the 3DS version have?
3, same as Wii U.

Although if you're sharing with a friend, the best method is to have 2+ NNIDs on Wii U so each can have their own complete save file, and can transfer to 3DS whenever for multiplayer.
(at least that's how I think it goes, you might want to do a bit more research on how this works)

Oh man, vanilla Giggi almost destroyed me in the Giggi + B. Giggi quest. (B. Giggi was a cakewalk comparatively.)

In LR I used Wroggi armor and he was cake, with non-poison-cancelling armor he's ridiculous... now I remember why I feared him so much in Tri.

Thinking about the 3x Giggi quest I've yet to do... I think I'll forge Wroggi S next. :p
Doesn't Felyne Medic skill guarantee (or increases the probability of) bitterbugs' effect? In theory, you could go to battle with a bunch of bitterbugs instead of crafting the armor.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Lobstrosity hammer is awesome looking. Being the only sleep inducing hammer as well, I might actually use it on occasion.

3, same as Wii U.

Although if you're sharing with a friend, the best method is to have 2+ NNIDs on Wii U so each can have their own complete save file, and can transfer to 3DS whenever for multiplayer.
(at least that's how I think it goes, you might want to do a bit more research on how this works)

You don't even need a NNID on the Wii U, just a separate user that's not linked up will do. Then you can have the standard three per user, which basically means limitless save files (whatever you'd want that for).

so, just like every single room with randoms ever?

sorry I'm just kind of sick of seeing those ugly ass weapons at this point.

I hate looking at them. So good though :(

Hit HR8 by squeezing my urgent into a Dire Miralis farm room. Surprisingly easy tbh. After graduating I took a shot at Lucent Nargacuga. My God! This thing is hard as fuck (it's hard too). Had a room of 4 and one person left after carting, after that I went through all my health items and antidotes then carted myself. Finally another dude carted and we failed. Did manage to drop 2 in the end and got a mantle (no moonshards). Took a look at its set and it looks pretty interesting, Sharpness +1, Wellness and Carve Master.

Is there a suggested way to fight it? Barely any openings for Dual Blades

Mondriaan

I hate looking at them. So good though :(
I don't get the hate for slime weapons. Sometimes you just want to be ready to go out on a quest as quickly as possible, and running back to the changing room every time a new quest gets posted gets in the way of that.

Hit HR8 by squeezing my urgent into a Dire Miralis farm room. Surprisingly easy tbh. After graduating I took a shot at Lucent Nargacuga. My God! This thing is hard as fuck (it's hard too). Had a room of 4 and one person left after carting, after that I went through all my health items and antidotes then carted myself. Finally another dude carted and we failed. Did manage to drop 2 in the end and got a mantle (no moonshards). Took a look at its set and it looks pretty interesting, Sharpness +1, Wellness and Carve Master.

Is there a suggested way to fight it? Barely any openings for Dual Blades
I don't think lucent is that different from green aside from the roar and the poison spikes. Nargas generally do some sort of charge, a tail swipe, and follow up with two jumps where it usually vulnerable for a hit or two depending on how close you are to it. During roars they're always vulnerable, although depending on your set up, you may not be able to take advantage of it.

A regular narga has a 360 spin attack with a long wind up. Green and lucent have 360s that they can do twice in a row. There's a spot in front of it where you can stand without getting hit that will position you to get lots of hits in. Probably a big gamble if you don't have a guarding type weapon, but I find myself in that spot by accident all the time since I tend to go with a gunlance.

ramyeon

I don't get the hate for slime weapons. Sometimes you just want to be ready to go out on a quest as quickly as possible, and running back to the changing room every time a new quest gets posted gets in the way of that.
They're really ugly and solo they're a bit too strong but in a group with everyone using them they're really OP.

Mondriaan

They're really ugly and solo they're a bit too strong but in a group with everyone using them they're really OP.
The most efficient set up is generally to go with element and affinity, not slime, and this is what tends to happen in many farming rooms. I don't really see everyone repeatedly using the same element weapons for basically the same set of quests to be so different from just bringing a slime weapon to everything.

Arveene

Neo Member
Can it be a quest reward (top box) in that one? The main problem with it is that you're pretty much hoping for it to show up as a break reward. All of mine were from breaking all the horns in the 3x diablos advanced quest which is tedious and you still don't have much of a chance to get it.

I think it's a 5% chance in the main rewards area.

DaBoss

My god, Diablos now turns with his charges... And Black Diablos is even more ruthless, barely made it out alive on that quest.

Ridley327

My god, Diablos now turns with his charges... And Black Diablos is even more ruthless, barely made it out alive on that quest.

Black Diablos is straight-up horrifying on G-rank; that speed is immense, especially for the triple charge lock-on and the super leap. The fact that you can breathe on her for her to insta-rage doesn't help matters much, either.

Hoodbury

Still can't believe I carted on fricken Rust durambos. What a joke. Pissed me off, lol. He got me with a simple tail turn taking about 1/4 of my life since I wasn't topped off to begin with and then before I could stand up did his quick jump and landed right on me finishing me off. My fifth cart in the game and it's to damn Duranbos, unbelievable. I know I'm not very good at the game, but I do play relatively safe and cautious so every cart just grates my skin.

Thanks for helping out Big Dog though, he's not a gaffer but a guy I use to play some CoD with.

vareon

Black Diablos is straight-up horrifying on G-rank; that speed is immense, especially for the triple charge lock-on and the super leap. The fact that you can breathe on her for her to insta-rage doesn't help matters much, either.

I don't even know how to fight her. Using Gunlance helps against his super leap and charge but occasionally he burrowed into the ground and just leapt out to my butt, rendering the shield useless, and almost always killing me.

Or, all too often, I was in the middle of an attack when he burrowed, stunned by the wind and/or tremor, and charged before I can shield.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Quick question: dual sword path- bloodwings + or brother flames?

Do you want to focus on armour that buffs status? Poison can be really useful against some monsters. You have more options for Fire element DS than Poison, so that may sway you one way, or the other. Bloodwings has another path split later on to that continues on with Poison, or switches to Thunder element.

DaBoss

If there is an Advanced quest with double Black Diablos....God help me.

I don't even know how to fight her. Using Gunlance helps against his super leap and charge but occasionally he burrowed into the ground and just leapt out to my butt, rendering the shield useless, and almost always killing me.

Or, all too often, I was in the middle of an attack when he burrowed, stunned by the wind and/or tremor, and charged before I can shield.

Rathian and Black Diablos always get their genders mixed up some way in one paragraph. :p

ultron87

So I've been trying a lot of other weapons after only using Great Sword. Do people actually enjoy Lance? It just seems so... dull. I'm honestly curious if I'm just missing something with it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So I've been trying a lot of other weapons after only using Great Sword. Do people actually enjoy Lance? It just seems so... dull. I'm honestly curious if I'm just missing something with it.

Lance is just as boring to use as it is to watch someone play with it. It's an effective weapon and high level players are great with it, but it's not exactly going to fill you with adrenaline.

Raide

FFS Jho. Comes into pretty much every quest and messes things up. Got HR Nibelsnarf down to limping away and Jho rushes in and destroys me. No Continues, Quest Failed. Some asshole at Capcom just loved making things in the MH series that pisses people off. I bet he thought up things charging you, ChaCha throwing bombs at you and the camera looking at the top of your head when you end up close to something.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
FFS Jho. Comes into pretty much every quest and messes things up. Got HR Nibelsnarf down to limping away and Jho rushes in and destroys me. No Continues, Quest Failed. Some asshole at Capcom just loved making things in the MH series that pisses people off. I bet he thought up things charging you, ChaCha throwing bombs at you and the camera looking at the top of your head when you end up close to something.

Always bringing Dung Bombs is the best solution for Jho.

Rize_21

Mega juice+status skill+Narga X or dodge skill for hop instead of walk and attack everytime,with the Gobul lance,para/status effect happens 3 or 4 times under 15 minutes,if it isn't 10 minutes.That's how I play lance usually,it's too static/boring otherwise in my opinion.

JoeFu

Banned
Still can't believe I carted on fricken Rust durambos. What a joke. Pissed me off, lol. He got me with a simple tail turn taking about 1/4 of my life since I wasn't topped off to begin with and then before I could stand up did his quick jump and landed right on me finishing me off. My fifth cart in the game and it's to damn Duranbos, unbelievable. I know I'm not very good at the game, but I do play relatively safe and cautious so every cart just grates my skin.

Thanks for helping out Big Dog though, he's not a gaffer but a guy I use to play some CoD with.

haha, stuff happens in this game. I still get 2 shot buy some dudes despite playing super careful. I really need new gear...
And it's always fun playing with people and helping them advance. I really like the MH community.

insin

Neo Member
First cart of the game was to the new monster - we'll give you that one for free, Brachydios, since you gave me a gem.

I've had insane luck in this game with first encounters. Carved a plate from the tail of the first Lagi you repel. Gem and plate from first Pink Rathian and Rathalos. Jho's shiny drop from the Jaggia Menace intro was a Talon. Gem from Dios first time.

The Desire Sensor must have a special fate lined up for me.

FFS Jho. Comes into pretty much every quest and messes things up. Got HR Nibelsnarf down to limping away and Jho rushes in and destroys me. No Continues, Quest Failed. Some asshole at Capcom just loved making things in the MH series that pisses people off.

If you already died twice before Jho killed you it isn't really Capcoms fault that you failed the quest though.

Chuckpebble

Some asshole at Capcom just loved making things in the MH series that pisses people off.

Like this Bnahabra this morning that kept dive bombing me, flinching me out of my rapid fired flame shots. The worst part is, it would have been a waste an order of magnitude larger to switch shots and gib the little fucker.

God, I love this game.

Raide

If you already died twice before Jho killed you it isn't really Capcoms fault that you failed the quest though.

I think it was more the "Jho chins me onto the floor and the camera is filled with his gigantic polygon ass, just as Niblesnarf eats me whole."

One day I will down Jho and I will learn how he fights, He just seems so random that I really have no idea how to approach him, especially when trying to fight HR stuff as well.

vareon

If there is an Advanced quest with double Black Diablos....God help me.

Rathian and Black Diablos always get their genders mixed up some way in one paragraph. :p

Yeah that's what I get for playing too much lol.

Testing Barioth X set with Constitution+1, Evade+1 and Evade Extender...so basically I am compelled to roll all of the time. Fought HR Nargacuga this style and got hit a lot. I'd probably die in two minutes in G rank.

I think it was more the "Jho chins me onto the floor and the camera is filled with his gigantic polygon ass, just as Niblesnarf eats me whole."

One day I will down Jho and I will learn how he fights, He just seems so random that I really have no idea how to approach him, especially when trying to fight HR stuff as well.

Not saying this to sound pompous but he really isn't anywhere near as tough as he seems.
He will become extremely predictable if you study him for a bit. Just bring adamant seeds to remedy his drool def down status and nulberries to remedy his dragonblight.
If you're bringing traps, don't use them until he's hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom