• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

Not saying this to sound pompous but he really isn't anywhere near as tough as he seems.
He will become extremely predictable if you study him for a bit. Just bring adamant seeds to remedy his drool def down status and nulberries to remedy his dragonblight.
If you're bringing traps, don't use them until he's hungry.

I think its the music that kicks in that does it. :D

Would love to fight him one-on-one to learn him but he always appearing in something else.

I never know what to do when he does that multiple lunge/sweep thing. Always batters me .

arimanius

So what am I doing wrong on the Caedeus fight? I keep failing the quest before I can reroute him. I'm attacking his beard the best I can. I've tried it with my rimeblade and queen blaster 1. Is it just a gear check?

Raide

So what am I doing wrong on the Caedeus fight? I keep failing the quest before I can reroute him. I'm attacking his beard the best I can. I've tried it with my rimeblade and queen blaster 1. Is it just a gear check?

Lightning weapons are the best idea. If you break the beard, then just focus on the horns. Just focus on the beard as much as possible and all should go well. Don't forget to use the Dragonator later on as well.

arimanius

Lightning weapons are the best idea. If you break the beard, then just focus on the horns. Just focus on the beard as much as possible and all should go well. Don't forget to use the Dragonator later on as well.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to see what lightning weapons I can make tonight.

taybul

I will never stop hating Diablos.
I didn't like fighting Diablos either but after fighting Black Diablos, my god. Constantly attacking, rages when you paint her, even goes to sleep in rage. At least with the non-PMS-y Diablos you could get him tired, wait for him to burrow, use a sonic and go to town on him.

Not sure if it was intended for the female variants but I also find Pink Rathian to be more annoying to fight than Azure Rathalos. I soloed my first Azure and he went down so fast I wondered if he was just a recoloring of regular Los. Next fight wasn't so smooth: that dive-fake then poison lunge...

Raide

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to see what lightning weapons I can make tonight.

It is a long drawn-out fight. As long as you do enough damage, the time will run out and you will repel. Just make sure beard and horns are broke and you should be ok. After the beard, just mash away at the big horn.

I don't how to stress this more.....but use the element weapon on the monster. I typically make a whole set of element weapon of my main weapon, hammer.

The element really helps a lot.

Ok, fuck the Gigginox

Which rank GGnox? What move are you getting hit by?

blackflag

If there is an Advanced quest with double Black Diablos....God help me.

Rathian and Black Diablos always get their genders mixed up some way in one paragraph. :p

I've been doing the G-rank Advanced Sand Barioth and Black Diablos, and the Diablos and Black Diablos one yesterday all day long. Still didn't get a horn. Back to it tonight.

Hoodbury

I've been doing the G-rank Advanced Sand Barioth and Black Diablos, and the Diablos and Black Diablos one yesterday all day long. Still didn't get a horn. Back to it tonight.

Try the advanced triple regular diablos one when that comes up. Since there are 3 of them they are individually weaker and go down pretty quickly. Just make sure you don't kill them faster than you break their horns.

burgerdog

Sand Barioth + Black Diablos has the best drop rate for hardhorns, by the way. I found out about it, did two runs and came out with two hardhorns. Prior to that, me and Cunanan killed about 15+ diablos from the other quests and only got one or two.

Is there a more efficient way to BBQ besides running to Moga Woods with 10 Raw Meat over and over again? FFS...

If you have money, buy tons of Sleepyfish and Hot Pepper from the travelling Granny. Each of the item appears in separate listing. I basically bought 1k of each and combined them for Energy Drink. Sure beats cooking steaks.

Beats

Is there a more efficient way to BBQ besides running to Moga Woods with 10 Raw Meat over and over again? FFS...

I don't think there is. I stopped BBQing once I found out about Energy Drinks.

They can be made with (Honey + Nitroshroom) or (Hot Pepper + SleepyFish). They aren't as good as steaks, but it's easier to make a ton of them. If I remember correctly you can buy Nitroshrooms and Sleepyfish from the Granny in Port Tanzia.

Rize_21

Put the BBQ mask on a shakalaka if you have it,give him the raw meat in quest,and he'll "cook" them once you'll be back in the village/have done a quest.
I need a boat of well done steaks for the mega juices... :'/

^so weird,this feature was available in MHFU and extremely useful,what happened Capcom?

branny

When I need rare/well-done steaks, I just take 10 raw with me on a quest and BBQ before I leave camp to do whatever I'm supposed to.

ryz

I don't think there is. I stopped BBQing once I found out about Energy Drinks.

They can be made with (Honey + Nitroshroom) or (Hot Pepper + SleepyFish). They aren't as good as steaks, but it's easier to make a ton of them. If I remember correctly you can buy Nitroshrooms and Sleepyfish from the Granny in Port Tanzia.

On top of this, you can consume them underwater! (unlike steaks)

Mondriaan

There should be a BBQ pit at the farm that lets you endlessly cook steaks from the meat in your item box. That would be pro.

It would be better if the BBQ pit were available inside the tavern and inside the village. IMO the game should allow people who are ready to leave on a quest to still perform actions like gesture and BBQ.

On top of this, you can consume them underwater! (unlike steaks)

You can also consume dash drinks and megadash drinks underwater, and the main ingredient is rare steaks and well-done steaks.

Hoodbury

Sand Barioth + Black Diablos has the best drop rate for hardhorns, by the way. I found out about it, did two runs and came out with two hardhorns. Prior to that, me and Cunanan killed about 15+ diablos from the other quests and only got one or two.

Is this fact or is this "I got the rare drop on this quest and not the other quests so that means the best drop rate for it is on this quest"?

blackflag

I've heard this too. I have tons of gems and stuff for everything else, dire gems, etc. But no brachy palliums and no hard horns will drop grrrr.

Mupod

simple question: was it in the top quest box or the bottom break/capture box? Because if that's the only place you can get it as a quest reward, that'd be the only explanation for people reporting it as a superior source for hardhorns.

blackflag

Is this fact or is this "I got the rare drop on this quest and not the other quests so that means the best drop rate for it is on this quest"?

Not sure but every room I went in said the same.

I do know hard horn is 7% from Black D. and only like 3% from regular. Not sure why that quest would have anything else special about it though to cause it to be higher.

Mupod

Not sure but every room I went in said the same.

I do know hard horn is 7% from Black D. and only like 3% from regular. Not sure why that quest would have anything else special about it though to cause it to be higher.

Quests have their own reward tables, in the top box.

The problem with hardhorns is that you can't get it from tails, quest rewards (that I know of), captures or shinies. You need to break both horns and you only get 1 chance at the hardhorn dropping.

It's 5% and 7% for regular and Black, by the way. Based on the guide of course.

Pyro. Meat and drinks, first cooking method I think.

Bombardier works too. Can gem it into anything with 5 open slots.

branny

Heh, on high rank and above you are dropped off randomly on the map, not necessarily in camp. >_<
Yeah, I just mean to get the grilling done and over with at the start of a quest instead of making a special journey solely to cook. :p

Of course, if you're not charm hunting for hours on end, you will eventually run out of rare steaks. Another perk of energy drinks...lol

DaBoss

The Grill mask is the best way to cook meat.

Also, to whoever said fuck Gigginox, I'm with ya man. Fuck that piece of shit to hell.

DaBoss

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55273352]Whats everybody's title and message?[/QUOTE]

Master Hunter
"I AM THE
BOSS!!!"

Pose: Stand
Background: Freedom Slash

ryz

Vanguard of Tri
"SHODAN
UPLOADING"

Pose: Stomp
Background: Poogie Love

olimpia84

Any good combos for Switch Axes out there? How do you link (or rather what do you press) an axe hit into a sword hit? I tried pressing R+X and R+A but no dice.

DaBoss

Any good combos for Switch Axes out there? How do you link (or rather what do you press) an axe hit into a sword hit? I tried pressing R+X and R+A but no dice.

Do a forward strike (Up on stick/pad + X) then press R. To get out of Sword mode and to go to Axe mode, do a side slash (A-button) and then press R.

To get into sword mode while the weapon is sheathed, press R+X+A.

ryz

In axe mode: Circle Pad + X to make an forward slash, then tap R to combo into sword mode

In sword mode: A for a side slash, R to combo into axe mode

Edit: Beaten like a duramboros

branny

I think I'm Frilly Phoenix right now, lol. Message is:

"You want me
to WHAT?!"

After a few goes, aiming is pretty easy. The lock-on feature comes in super handy when you run around the place dodging monsters. You will always fight at range but no hopes of sniping them from miles away. :D You have the aiming line you can use for getting the right shot and also for the arrow-rain but try to learn the manual version and what distance it needs. Soon you will be dropping death from the sky without touching the aiming-mode.

Get Arko Nulo upgraded and you can then choose between a Thunder/Lightning(Y), Fire(R) & Ice(W). You will end up needing them all. :D Advice going forward. Get a basic poison bow like Wroggi's and poison all the bugs you see and carve them. You will need their bits to keep upgrading.

Sponge Gear is a basic water set but keep upgrading it for the Amethyst Gear.

Awesome, thanks! I tinkered a bit with a bow last night and found it hard to notice when I was registering a hit. (I think my bow was too weak or something--no blood came off of the Jaggie, just what looked like the yellow "you grazed" indicator.)

The aiming is also kind of a pain that I think will take a while to get used to. I've been enjoying SNS mostly though, so I'll probably keep progressing with that, and just tinkering with the other weapons for money runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom