• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Press B and then move the control stick down. That is how it worked on the 3DS, I assume it is the same for the Wii U version too. I think it says how to in the manual.
Isn't B the dodge roll button though? I haven't tried it but it doesn't sound like the same thing. Especially because with your thumb tied to B it defeats the whole point of easy camera control while you ascend/decend. Like I said though, not a big deal thanks to the new target cam.

DaBoss

Isn't B the dodge roll button though? I haven't tried it but it doesn't sound like the same thing. Especially because with your thumb tied to B it defeats the whole point of easy camera control while you ascend/decend. Like I said though, not a big deal thanks to the new target cam.

Yes it's the dodge button, but I forgot to mention you have to hold B and then slide down or up depending on whether you want to dive or surface.

Just saw this in the background of one of the screenshots:

pRZMSnv.jpg

No real significance or anything, I just think it looks cool. I would like to go there. :)

I've never played a Monster Hunter game in my life, but after seeing those screenshots and realising I haven't bought a 3DS game since Theatrhythm, I'm really really tempted by this. How similar is it to a game like Xenoblade for example? Would someone be able to give me a quick simple run down of the game's main features, like exploration, online, and combat?

Peru

I've never played a Monster Hunter game in my life, but after seeing those screenshots and realising I haven't bought a 3DS game since Theatrhythm, I'm really really tempted by this. How similar is it to a game like Xenoblade for example? Would someone be able to give me a quick simple run down of the game's main features, like exploration, online, and combat?

This new IGN video review actually does a decent job of summing it all up http://youtu.be/DtyNaLPrk5s

(for the most part. she talks multiplayer but it's a thrilling, intensive game solo as well)

It's not similar to Xenoblade at all, but it is very good. Just prepare for battle being its own thing, a deliberate, tactical brawl. Watch some videos, tutorials, and buy the game.

Mupod

One thing I did notice however is the starting bow (hunters bow?) seems to behave a lot different than the bow in the demo. At the level 3 charge it only shoots out two arrows (which I assume is a Rapid lv2 shot?) but the default arc on them is really really high. As in soars right over Jaggi and Kelbi high. The only way I was able to fight those smaller monsters was if I manually held R and aimed down. The bow in the demo didn’t have nearly that kind of arc. I guess the high arc would be awesome for taller monsters but it was a pain for the smaller ones last night. Anyone have any insight?

Bows are different from one another, basically. It's not because they changed anything from the demo, but because the demo bow had different charge levels than the one you're using.

I also didn’t see anything in the controls for switching the ZL/RL buttons to ascend/descend swim like in Tri. Personally I found that a much easier method to control underwater combat since you could move the camera independent of your direction. I suppose the new target camera helps a lot of that frustration though

I agree but I'd rather use ZL/ZR to rotate the camera, which I heard is either an option or will be patched. Has the 'day 1' patch for things like USB keyboard support come out already?

Also after a while in Tri most of my vertical movement underwater was dodging up/down after attacking, which you don't need fancy buttons for.

Alright, got me a copy at work (for Wii U). Never played a Monster Hunter-game before so I'm very excited and curious! Gonna download and install the game tonight, hopefully.

Nisa65

Just passed the 200 hour playtime mark earlier today and finally got my G Rank Jo armor. Time to start playing as a gunner methinks.

IMG_0279_zpse364e08d.jpg

Bankoiia

Getting both games tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to potentially hunting with you guys! Put my name on the list so feel free to add me if you feel like it.

kagete

Potentially stupid question here but will there likely be any deal greater than the $20 off from the WiiU+3DS bundle from amazon ($100->$80) in the next 3-6 months or do MH games typically keep their value the first half-year? I'm worried because today is the last day for the amazon deal and I want to save some $ even if I likely won't play it for another month.

Mondriaan

The game, in a nutshell, is about an invisible cameraman trying to film some dude (or dudette) who is killing monsters. You're controlling the dude and the cameraman at the same time.

Exploration happens mostly when you unlock a new environment, which are basically like tiny sets that are connected by invisible doors.

The main draw to this game is dressing up your dude (or dudette) up in only the finest clothing and jewelery made from species that most likely are endangered and in actuality need to be protected from the likes of you.

(Really, you should play the demo.)

deviljho

Potentially stupid question here but will there likely be any deal greater than the $20 off from the WiiU+3DS bundle from amazon ($100->$80) in the next 3-6 months or do MH games typically keep their value the first half-year? I'm worried because today is the last day for the amazon deal and I want to save some $ even if I likely won't play it for another month.

If you are asking if you'll get a better deal on buying both within the next 6 months, I'd say that is unlikely. If you want to buy one, then it's possible if you look around.

We gonna hunt some monsters together kagettles?

kagete

That depends on if you have a black or a white WiiU. I don't want to feel console envy if we ever err... cross swords online.

Mupod

There's exploration, in its own way. Sure the areas aren't huge or even open, but there's tons of shortcuts and resource nodes to find. Some places even have secret areas, anyone who ever had to make Dober armor in Tri knows what I'm talking about.

The main draw to this game is dressing up your dude (or dudette) up in only the finest clothing and jewelery made from species that most likely are endangered and in actuality need to be protected from the likes of you.

One of the things I found interesting from the otherwise godawful MH manga was how the guild regulated the hunts. The materials from monsters are so important that they take poaching very seriously, since they can't afford to let these things get endangered. However some of the monsters are so dangerous and have such a huge impact on the environment that they just plain need to go (Fatalis, Akantor, Joe).

Where I live 'nuisance bears' are a big problem and they need to be put down or relocated when they start encroaching on populated areas in their search for food. I'm sure many other places with dangerous wildlife have similar things. The guild takes this approach to monsters - even if they'd prefer that Rathalos/Rathian pair survive to make more baby Raths, if they start threatening humans then they need to go. It doesn't hurt that the materials are incredibly valuable, so they don't need much of an excuse to send out the hunters. As for the silly quests like 'this congalala pooped on me, go kill it'...money talks?

The guild's control over hunts is also probably why we never get our Rathalos Rubies. They take the good stuff for themselves so we either need to hope they get generous or cut it off the monster ourselves. I see a lot of new players confused that they need to break parts in order to get the part - you'd think you would need to preserve that Kut-Ku's ears in order to get them in the rewards, right? Of course it's just a game mechanic, and you get rewarded for damaging the monster like you're supposed to.

...yeah, my copy is out for delivery, hype/overthinking levels are critical.

Fistwell

Man, 12 year olds playing Tri online are teh hardcore. Made us wait 5 minutes cause "mom 1sec," then some dude DARED to kill agna before we finished the 4rth claw HOW DARE YOU (as if hitting legs didn't do damage)? Me: get over it, him: STFU NOOB, me: bb glhf on 2nd agna.

deviljho

Man, 12 year olds playing Tri online are teh hardcore. Made us wait 5 minutes cause "mom 1sec," then some dude DARED to kill agna before we finished the 4rth claw HOW DARE YOU (as if hitting legs didn't do damage)? Me: get over it, him: STFU NOOB, me: bb glhf on 2nd agna.

lolol

LOL, but the ones actually admitting they need to leave for a mom reason are probably even younger than 12 though. ;)

Xater

Going on blackout until I have the game myself I think. it would just anger me more to see alot of you start playing tomorrow while I still have to wait for the 22nd. :(

Nisa65

Damn, that armor looks whack as hell.

Not a big fan of how it looks either but sharpness+1 skill is just too tempting.

I think I may go for a female hunter when MH4 comes out as I swear they get the better looking armor sets in each game.

Plumpman

Would it be worth upgrading from a 3ds to 3dsXL for MHU3?

I ask because the text and menus in the demo were horridly blurry and hurt my eyes, wondering if they are any better on the XL?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm still on the fence about buying a 3DS XL + game or buying a WiiU + game. I want to play online with folks, but the fact that you can't play online without a WiiU is such a kick in the balls.

PusherT

I really wish I could afford the Wii U to play the game online. Went with 3DS cheaper price of admission and has the mobility factor. Maybe in a few months when I get more free $$ I can go with Wii U. Sure am glad the 3ds version can transfer data. What's everyone opinion of Great Baggi??

great-baggi.jpg

NeoRausch

Would it be worth upgrading from a 3ds to 3dsXL for MHU3?

I ask because the text and menus in the demo were horridly blurry and hurt my eyes, wondering if they are any better on the XL?

it's always worth to upgrade to a XL. because it is better. there period!

DaBoss

I really wish I could afford the Wii U to play the game online. Went with 3DS cheaper price of admission and has the mobility factor. Maybe in a few months when I get more free $$ I can go with Wii U. Sure am glad the 3ds version can transfer data. What's everyone opinion of Great Baggi??

great-baggi.jpg

A douchebag who puts me to sleep. Literally too.

PusherT

A douchebag who puts me to sleep. Literally too.

In tri online I fought some huge ass Great Baggi . I love the tundra environment so many great monsters Barioth, Great Baggi and that Deviljho fight in the snow. lagambi battle was fun in the snow aswell.

Never really played Monster Hunter before. I'd like it for both platforms possibly, but is there enough without the online mode on the 3DS version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom