• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryz

Okay, after arriving in G rank yesterday i did some quests, namely the volvidon + jaggi, lagombi + baggi quests and green plesioth.

volvidon and jaggi were kind of easy, lagombi and baggi a bit harder.
But what's with everybody complaining about great jaggi in g rank? did i miss something?

Green Plesioth on the other hand almost completely destroyed me with his insane attack patterns (he hipchecks like crazy, swipe waterbeam and his tail range is otherworldly). Got around to beat him, but with 2 deaths and no potions left.

I need a new armor, although i just crafted my Lagiacrus U set.

This video mentions an easy Sharpness+1 mixed set, consisting of:

• Lagombi Helm X
  • Wroggi Mail X
  • Rhenoplos Braces X
  • Qurupeco Coil X
  • Wroggi Greaves X

So GAF, is it any good? Or should concentrate on something different?

Raide

Awesome, thanks! I tinkered a bit with a bow last night and found it hard to notice when I was registering a hit. (I think my bow was too weak or something--no blood came off of the Jaggie, just what looked like the yellow "you grazed" indicator.)

The aiming is also kind of a pain that I think will take a while to get used to. I've been enjoying SNS mostly though, so I'll probably keep progressing with that, and just tinkering with the other weapons for money runs.

The elemental bows make it so much easier to see the hits. You often don't see a hug amount of blood and you don't bounce, so just keep on shooting. Depending on your bow, check what type of sots each charge is. Pierce is handy for long monsters and it hits multiple times, Rapid shoots a few arrows one above each-other, which is handy for aiming at specific monster parts and Scatter shoots several arrows in a fairly wide arch, which is great for hitting wider monsters and getting those status shots off.

Once you get the aiming down, you will very rarely miss. Use the lock-on for larger monsters and charge and go toe-to-toe with smaller monsters to blast them. :D

Hoodbury

Okay, after arriving in G rank yesterday i did some quests, namely the volvidon + jaggi, lagombi + baggi quests and green plesioth.

volvidon and jaggi were kind of easy, lagombi and baggi a bit harder.
But what's with everybody complaining about great jaggi in g rank? did i miss something?

Green Plesioth on the other hand almost completely destroyed me with his insane attack patterns (he hipchecks like crazy, swipe waterbeam and his tail range is otherworldly). Got around to beat him, but with 2 deaths and no potions left.

I need a new armor, although i just crafted my Lagiacrus U set.

This video mentions an easy Sharpness+1 mixed set, consisting of:

• Lagombi Helm X
  • Wroggi Mail X
  • Rhenoplos Braces X
  • Qurupeco Coil X
  • Wroggi Greaves X

So GAF, is it any good? Or should concentrate on something different?
I didn't watch the video but I put that set into Mhag and you only get handicraft +7, Sharpness +5, Wide range +5, and a bunch of +4s and +3s.

You have 9 slots not counting tali's or weapons so you could definitely gem in the rest of handicraft but the gems for handicraft give minus points to sharpness so you wouldn't get both of them. You could probably get handicraft and wide range easily enough though.

But to me that set isn't worth it. At the start of G-rank I don't think you should worry about Sharpness +1. You could make full Jaggi armor and have a ton of good skills and room to gem in one other skill of your choice.

I'd worry about a Sharpness +1 set for your second G-rank set. Just make a basic easy set to get enough defense to get through the early G-rank quests.

The elemental bows make it so much easier to see the hits. You often don't see a hug amount of blood and you don't bounce, so just keep on shooting. Depending on your bow, check what type of sots each charge is. Pierce is handy for long monsters and it hits multiple times, Rapid shoots a few arrows one above each-other, which is handy for aiming at specific monster parts and Scatter shoots several arrows in a fairly wide arch, which is great for hitting wider monsters and getting those status shots off.

Once you get the aiming down, you will very rarely miss. Use the lock-on for larger monsters and charge and go toe-to-toe with smaller monsters to blast them. :D

Ya, for boss monsters I just tap the lock on, then tap 'up' on the stick, then fire. That sound about right? Since my weapon spreads, I get a bit confused as to whether or not my center arrow is hitting.

ryz

Typo? I've heard of people complaining about G-Rank Great Baggi since he is on cocaine in rage mode and all that.

Figures, must have misread. He really is on cocaine in rage mode, lol

I didn't watch the video but I put that set into Mhag and you only get handicraft +7, Sharpness +5, Wide range +5, and a bunch of +4s and +3s.

You have 9 slots not counting tali's or weapons so you could definitely gem in the rest of handicraft but the gems for handicraft give minus points to sharpness so you wouldn't get both of them. You could probably get handicraft and wide range easily enough though.

But to me that set isn't worth it. At the start of G-rank I don't think you should worry about Sharpness +1. You could make full Jaggi armor and have a ton of good skills and room to gem in one other skill of your choice.

I'd worry about a Sharpness +1 set for your second G-rank set. Just make a basic easy set to get enough defense to get through the early G-rank quests.

Thank you very much! I will do this. :)

Raide

Ya, for boss monsters I just tap the lock on, then tap 'up' on the stick, then fire. That sound about right? Since my weapon spreads, I get a bit confused as to whether or not my center arrow is hitting.

At minimum, always go for a level 1 charge or above. The spread type is handy if you move yourself to the side of a monster and fire. Handy also if you have Cha Cha and Kayamba there to taunt and distract.

(Wii-U controls, not sure for DS) Pressing and holding X for the charge shot and then tapping A will use arrow-rain without manual aiming. Practice this range on some easier monsters, since it works for everything. Tricky to start with but really speeds up your damage output by not having to manual aim for shots. Tapping lock-on is great but you still might need to tweak your aiming to get it spot on.

Exhumed

I was curious if anyone has some stories about playing MH with real life friends?

When I was in college there was 4 of us that used to have drunken nights playing MH (mainly MHF2 and MHFU). It was always hilarious when the monster would stop and look around, think Kut-ku or Rathian/Rathalos. My buddy would yell "OMG GUYS HE IS STRUTTING HIS SH*T GET HIM". We would all bee-line in and get multiple staggers, stuns, etc. Quests usually ended on those notes LOL.

I always yell out "stop strutting your sh*t" to this day. Especially with Quropeco.

Bamur

Neo Member

I'm sorry, you must have used the wrong game or the wrong equipment.
The set indeed does grant sharpness+1 with no additional decorations/charms required.
Lagombi X Helm: +3 Handicraft
Wroggi X Mail: +1 Handicraft
Rheneplos X Vambraces: +2 Handicraft
Qurupeco X Coil: +2 Handicraft
Wroggi X Greaves: +2 Handicraft
Total: +10 Handicraft = Sharpness + 1

It just depends how valuable you think it is.
Comparing to the suggested G Jaggi: both sets have 7 slots; so the difference becomes AUS, rec speed+1, meat lover and halve stun versus sharpness + 1

Hoodbury

Thank you very much! I will do this. :)

Ya, with Jaggi X you can gem it up to Attack up L and get Rec Speed +2 if you have either an attack or rec speed tali and a slot or 2 slotted weapon.

With Rec Speed +2 you could probably get through the early G-rank quests without using a mega potion and barely any regular potions.

You also get half stun which is nothing special but nice to have and meat lover. With meat lover, if you eat a well done steak it gives you temporary unlimited stamina and you can eat rare steaks instead of having to worry about getting well done steaks.

At minimum, always go for a level 1 charge or above. The spread type is handy if you move yourself to the side of a monster and fire. Handy also if you have Cha Cha and Kayamba there to taunt and distract.

(Wii-U controls, not sure for DS) Pressing and holding X for the charge shot and then tapping A will use arrow-rain without manual aiming. Practice this range on some easier monsters, since it works for everything. Tricky to start with but really speeds up your damage output by not having to manual aim for shots. Tapping lock-on is great but you still might need to tweak your aiming to get it spot on.
Thanks, appreciate the help. (Didn't know that about charge shot without manual aim)

Hoodbury

I'm sorry, you must have used the wrong game or the wrong equipment.

It just depends how valuable you think it is.
Comparing to the suggested G Jaggi: both sets have 7 slots; so the difference becomes AUS, rec speed+1, meat lover and halve stun versus sharpness + 1

Good catch, Mhag uses the Japanese name for Lagombi and I picked the wrong helm.

Neki

I think it was more the "Jho chins me onto the floor and the camera is filled with his gigantic polygon ass, just as Niblesnarf eats me whole."

One day I will down Jho and I will learn how he fights, He just seems so random that I really have no idea how to approach him, especially when trying to fight HR stuff as well.

honestly I just spend 90% of my time hanging around jho's feet when fighting him, at least on high rank, most of his attacks whiff right over you if you're under him.

beje

Banned
Haha, I did so much HR5 stuff while being still HR4 in previous rooms that as soon as I was promoted I had the next urgent ready.

Ryuuga

Banned
Goldbeard Ceadeus...

dat water beam from the top that is super hard to "roll" and always insta-kills me.

When you see him darting up above you or even down below, follow him to the best of your ability. If you're close enough to him, you should be able to find a blind spot out of the blasts reach.

Ghost23

Ok, I've been stuck for a week and I don't know what to do. Where the hell is the Argosy captain? I've done all the 9 star key quests to move on, but he isn't showing up. I've gone to Moga village, I've done more quests, but he isn't freaking showing up. I can't progress and it's bothering the crap out of me.

Eteric Rice

7 Brachy down, 4 cap 3 kill, and still no gem.

I need just ONE so I can upgrade my Brachy SA.

I know this feel. Captured him like 8 times, no gem.

Anyway, can you guys give me an idea of the best sets for a hammer user in high rank? I don't actually want to try going through and getting every set. Perhaps one for every element?

Neki

man made a new great sword with 300 more attack, everything is falling down so easily

won't be long before I need a new sword :(

Satch

Banned
i decided to use a bow to take online for low rank hunts to help out the lowbies. i used to use my Dios Tailhammer, which made the hunts go by incredibly fast, but i realized that i was doing them a disservice by doing most of the work. theres no way for them to learn monster patterns if i'm just making them flinch every ten seconds.

bow is really hard... i dont know how people can use this as their main weapon. i made a zinogre heavy bowgun too, but i havent tried it out yet.

also, i got four brachy gems today :)

Wolfe

I know this feel. Captured him like 8 times, no gem.

Anyway, can you guys give me an idea of the best sets for a hammer user in high rank? I don't actually want to try going through and getting every set. Perhaps one for every element?

Depends on what kind of skills you want, for example my first high rank hammer set I made was Volvidon S. Has attack up, evasion and tremor res and I was able to gem for stamina (marathon runner skill) which is another awesome skill for hammers.

I'd say go through the armors in the forge menu and check out the skills and see what you might want to try out. For me some of the more desirable hammer skills would be: evasion, evade distance, fast charge, KO and stamina. I enjoy attack up but at the same time focusing on survivability allows me to remain up in the monsters face for longer thus allowing me to do more damage over time.

Eteric Rice

Depends on what kind of skills you want, for example my first high rank hammer set I made was Volvidon S. Has attack up, evasion and tremor res and I was able to gem for stamina (marathon runner skill) which is another awesome skill for hammers.

I'd say go through the armors in the forge menu and check out the skills and see what you might want to try out. For me some of the more desirable hammer skills would be: evasion, evade distance, fast charge, KO and stamina. I enjoy attack up but at the same time focusing on survivability allows me to remain up in the monsters face for longer thus allowing me to do more damage over time.

Actually, I'd like to be able to get in monster's faces easier without getting stomped on in a few hits. Nothing like getting three shot when trying to break something's face. (FUCK YOU BRACH)

What would be the best sets for that sort of thing?

Also, do you know where I can learn what all of the stats do? I can't find a list anywhere.

First Brachydios down in half an hour and I got two Brachy gems. Seems pretty good to me.

Also clocking in at about 75 hours now. This game is a real fucking time sink if I ever saw one.

Ghost23

Wait, do you know who the Argosy Captain is? Not trying to offend you, but you know, shit happens. :p

Yes I know who it is. It still says he is at sea, but he has been there for the longest time. I've done so many filler quests just to get him back, but he doesn't seem to want to return.

After farming 4 full sets of G rank armor I decided to progress to HR8 so I could search and join Jhen Mohran group. The first quest my group did was the Rathalos/Urugaan quest. We did Rath first and cut off the tail.

I carved a mantle from the tail.

That's all!

when you have to fight consecutive monsters on a quest, are they each weaker than usual?

Yes. They usually have less hitpoints.

Anyone remembers the One-Horn Devil quest in MHFU? A single horn Blos that actually has MOAR hitpoints than normal Blos. That guy was a bitch to fight. I timed out so many times fighting him solo.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Miiverse PC released and still no MH3U screenshots!!
LLShC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom