• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfe

Actually, I'd like to be able to get in monster's faces easier without getting stomped on in a few hits. Nothing like getting three shot when trying to break something's face. (FUCK YOU BRACH)

What would be the best sets for that sort of thing?

Also, do you know where I can learn what all of the stats do? I can't find a list anywhere.

In that case I would recommend skills like Evasion and Evade Distance which will both help with avoiding hits (although you still have to be good at dodging) while sticking close to the monster. Stuff like Tremor Res and Earplugs are always good in that regard too since they reduce your time out of combat.

Stamina/Marathon Runner has definitely spoiled me and I hate that I can't get it with the Nargacuga set since it feels like it goes so well with the hammer. The way it works is that it reduces your stamina drain for actions that continuously drain stamina such as sprinting or the hammer charge attack (imagine being able to run around a zone holding your hammer in charge mode since your stamina drain goes very slowly.)

Then there's stuff like KO and Fast Charge and whatnot that go well with hammer too, anyway heres the page I used when starting out to look up skills: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Armor_Skill_List

A few good sets to look into for this stuff (at least initially) would be Volvidon, Barioth and Nargacuga, but you can find key skills on plenty of other sets too.

CPCunha

Had my first experience with the Mooga high-rank quest... purple ludroth destroyed me.

...guess i'll get on with that farming thing all the kids rave about.

<=0(

Fewr

Starting a series of videos where I'll just go to random lobbies in Novices where I help out lower ranked players who seek help/advice.
People here have posted about how horrible it is to do quests in public (non-gaf) rooms, but all my experiences have been great so far. My only problem is that they seem to prefer to kill instead of capping (they probably don't have spare traps yet).

People here have posted about how horrible it is to do quests in public (non-gaf) rooms, but all my experiences have been great so far. My only problem is that they seem to prefer to kill instead of capping (they probably don't have spare traps yet).

75% of my online play has been with randoms, and not one complaint so far. I always ask if we're capping or killing as a courtesy to others.

capping <<<<<<<

killing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What's this you're trying to say, Satch?

Neki

Okay, need help picking which Great Sword to use, right now I'm using the Beserker Sword, but I can either make the Auberon or the Blue Wing with my Rathalos Ruby, should I just save the ruby and keep using the sword I have? I have no idea if Elemental Attack is good on GS users.

L Thammy

Okay, need help picking which Great Sword to use, right now I'm using the Beserker Sword, but I can either make the Auberon or the Blue Wing with my Rathalos Ruby, should I just save the ruby and keep using the sword I have? I have no idea if Elemental Attack is good on GS users.

Auberon should be the way to go.
Elemental GS is better than it was in Tri (elemental damage is now increased by charge attacks as well), but I'm still pretty sure it's still not as good as high physical damage.

EDIT: Wait, I think Blue Wing ends up with higher raw anyway. I'm dumb.

Go down the Blue Wing path to eventually make the Rathalos Gleamsword: 1248 raw, 520 fire, nice amount of purple sharpness and one slot.

You should just make the Stygian Acedia for your dragon element GS since the Alatreon one can't be fully upgraded until the G Rank Alatreon DLC hits.

Neki

well I was farming up Wings to get to the Blue Wing and instead of giving me a Wing it gives me another Ruby, so I just might make both

dat desire sensor

edit: I'm not sure how accurate the MH3U wiki is, but Reddnaught seems like a better fire sword than the Rathalos Gleamsword.

tenchir

well I was farming up Wings to get to the Blue Wing and instead of giving me a Wing it gives me another Ruby, so I just might make both

dat desire sensor

I was farming DevilJho with a group for fangs a few ours ago. Killed like 4 of them and got no fangs, what I did get was 2 Gems and 3 Crooks....

olimpia84

Do a forward strike (Up on stick/pad + X) then press R. To get out of Sword mode and to go to Axe mode, do a side slash (A-button) and then press R.

To get into sword mode while the weapon is sheathed, press R+X+A.

In axe mode: Circle Pad + X to make an forward slash, then tap R to combo into sword mode

In sword mode: A for a side slash, R to combo into axe mode

Edit: Beaten like a duramboros

Thanks

Got some help and reached HR6.

I am now... A man! (and by that, I mean G-rank hunter).
Gotta say, I could never have survived Deviljho or even Black Diablos on my own.
BD sure lived up to its name. That things' the devil!

i like killing more than capping, even though the loot wont be as good

Dont always assume this.

For many parts, killing is the better way to go.

For the super rare parts, often times they are just an additional 1% chance, forfeiting 3 carves at 3%. Other parts though, you cant get from carves at all so do the research!

high rank monsters shouldn't be giving low rank loot, I mean I need 6 Agnaktor Claw+ to finish this set and this damn monster keeps giving me the regular low rank claws... This is so frustrating
LLShC.gif

It also has given me 3 wyvern stones so there's that...

Hattori

Banned
So are there no gems you can craft for Handicraft? That basically makes all armor sets with Sharpness+1 god tier, right?
you can make them but they require a jho gem and some miralis mats

just got done hunting Lucent Narga and he's not that bad, he felt like a pushover dying in less than 10mins.

So are there no gems you can craft for Handicraft? That basically makes all armor sets with Sharpness+1 god tier, right?
Yes you can. It is hard to gem because it only goes from 1 point for 2 slots to 4 for 3 slots. You really need a charm with handicraft in it to get it or armor that already gives you some points.

It also decreases sharpness so you are always losing it and sharpness gems subtract handicraft so you are stuck with blunt edge on some builds.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just FYI I'll make OT2 tomorrow when I get up if we pass 20k overnight. Otherwise, tomorrow is the day!

I'm supposed to post it in Community, right?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Maaan this game is pure crack, already 50+ hours in it and I'm not feeling like playing anything else. 3DS version, I'm lucky to have a few friends to play local coop with soooo I'm not seeing the end of it yet.

Tried out the bow in an arena quest and this weapon is pretty fun, I'll have to craft a set for it at some point for coop!

An okay, guess I'll farm some jho.

Next question: I've hit a brick wall in Moga. I've completed all quests through rank 9 and have no urgent. I still have the
unfortunate mask
and haven't been using it since it sucks. Do I really need to just fight lightning enemies? If so..? dumb.

Maaan this game is pure crack, already 50+ hours in it and I'm not feeling like playing anything else. 3DS version, I'm lucky to have a few friends to play local coop with soooo I'm not seeing the end of it.

Shit, I'm at over 200 hours now with no end in sight. MH3U will soon pass Diablo III as my most played game of the generation.

Exhumed

Next question: I've hit a brick wall in Moga. I've completed all quests through rank 9 and have no urgent. I still have the
unfortunate mask
and haven't been using it since it sucks. Do I really need to just fight lightning enemies? If so..? dumb.

When you fight Zinogre and Ivory Legia you have to have one of the dudes equipped with the unfortunate mask to advance the story

ramyeon

you can make them but they require a jho gem and some miralis mats

just got done hunting Lucent Narga and he's not that bad, he felt like a pushover dying in less than 10mins.
You can make them with Delfic Fangs from Jhen as well. Easier to get and they only need Adamant Orbs and Agnaktor Claw+ on top of that. They may give less points though, I can't remember.

When you fight Zinogre and Ivory Legia you have to have one of the dudes equipped with the unfortunate mask to advance the story

I did with Zinogre and it said it charged up a bit, but I have no quest for Ivory Lagi. Should I just fight Zinogre again?

ramyeon

I don't have any more quests, lol. I've literally completed every single quest available to me. Green check mark on HR9.
You have to talk to the Argosy Captain after completing the first set of key quests in 9 star. The guild sweetheart tells you a few times to talk to him.

As far as the mask goes, you only have to use it on 2 urgent quests and are forced to use it both times, so you don't really need to worry about it.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I don't want to look up this info because of spoilers so could someone answer a quick question? Is it worth buying the 3DS version of this game over the Wii U version even if I may end up buying a WiiU in the next two years or so? Is it a completely serviceable representation of the game, even with no online? Or should I just wait for MH4 or this game for when I get a WiiU?

where can I fight bullfango?

If you just started, there's a DLC quest you can do. I think it's called "Streaking with Bullfango". You should be able to get the quest from the HR quest giver.

I don't want to look up this info because of spoilers so could someone answer a quick question? Is it worth buying the 3DS version of this game over the Wii U version even if I may end up buying a WiiU in the next two years or so? Is it a completely serviceable representation of the game, even with no online? Or should I just wait for MH4 or this game for when I get a WiiU?

That depends how much you time you dedicate to handheld console. IIRC, 3DS is the lead platform for MH3U. The only drawback is that there is no online mode for 3DS unless you have a Wii U. MH4 supposedly removes this restriction.

ajim

Boom! Just beat Mark Of A Hero on my second attempt - feels good man! Was intense tho, it was down to the wire, just Brachydios and myself. I didn't have any health potions left whatsoever, so I was just biding my time, running around him getting a hit here and there in. Then finally, one switch axe uppercut brought him to the ground for me to finish him.

So good.

Now Alatreon is kicking my ass. Where is the ballister binder ammo??

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
If you just started, there's a DLC quest you can do. I think it's called "Streaking with Bullfango". You should be able to get the quest from the HR quest giver.

That depends how much you time you dedicate to handheld console. IIRC, 3DS is the lead platform for MH3U. The only drawback is that there is no online mode for 3DS unless you have a Wii U. MH4 supposedly removes this restriction.

Is it true that the online stuff in the WIIU is replaced by single player stuff in the 3DS version? I also don't have that extra circle pad attachment, so I guess I'll have to download the demo to see how it controls.

vareon

Is it true that the online stuff in the WIIU is replaced by single player stuff in the 3DS version? I also don't have that extra circle pad attachment, so I guess I'll have to download the demo to see how it controls.

No, the quests are identical and you can solo all of them if you wish. You will get helpers anyway and the enemy with the number of player, making all quests feasible for solo.

Zornica

Banned
Yes you can. It is hard to gem because it only goes from 1 point for 2 slots to 4 for 3 slots. You really need a charm with handicraft in it to get it or armor that already gives you some points.

It also decreases sharpness so you are always losing it and sharpness gems subtract handicraft so you are stuck with blunt edge on some builds.

Atm I can only craft the one with the 3 slots. but its handicraft +2 for 3 slots... not 4 oO
I can't see the 1 point for 2 slots yet... probably haven't gotten any of the mats yet. what do I need?

ramyeon

Atm I can only craft the one with the 3 slots. but its handicraft +2 for 3 slots... not 4 oO
I can't see the 1 point for 2 slots yet... probably haven't gotten any of the mats yet. what do I need?
Delfic Fangs from HR8 Jhen, Adamant Orbs and Agnaktor Claw+ I think.

Mupod

Almost done with village quests, just have a few more remaining. Last night I learned how insane Normal 3 is underwater with an HBG and I think I have my new anti-Lagi weapon of choice. I brought my HBG to Plesioth/Lagi because I was bored of hammering everything and I already know how easily Pierce obliterates plesioth, of course he died in like 2 minutes. But what I didn't know was that Normal 3's ricochet property acts differently underwater and practically turns it into 'super pierce' ammo. Sure, it was a Lucent Narga gun against high rank village Lagi, but he didn't even get to attack. Spent the entire time on his side flopping around then died. Crazy stuff, makes me want to explore HBG a bit more.

Might be online again starting tomorrow, might not be. Want to get Hallowed Jhen unlocked before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom