• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace3skoot

i think i have done all the needed rare trades but don't have the pirate tomb? destination on the fishing fleet, can anyone throw me a line so to speak

Chuckpebble

i think i have done all the needed rare trades but don't have the pirate tomb? destination on the fishing fleet, can anyone throw me a line so to speak

Pirate's Tomb is a place that's available when your fleet gets a rare random temporary upgrade while they're already maxed out. Basically, its an upgrade that only lasts one voyage and you have no control over it. It just lets you travel to a zone that is one star level higher than what they can normally travel to. So if the ship affected was only at one star, they'd be able to travel to 2 star zones for one voyage. I think when this happens, the bonus star is denoted by being a little larger than the normal ones.

Mine shows up randomly every so often and then leaves again.

Speaking of which, what's up with that? Is it normal for the ship rankings to fluctuate up and down? Sometimes I have access to four destinations, sometimes two, sometimes they're three stars, sometimes two, etc.

ace3skoot

omg...so it has a random chance of appearing..and if it does appear i have like a small chance of actually getting the thing i wanted ...thats just frustrating, at least when i'm farming for a mantle i feel like i'm accomplishing something :p

Fistwell

Do crits have any other benefit beside added dmg (+25%, right?)? Increased flinch chance or something?

well the fact it does more damage will inherently increase your chance of monsters flinching, but 25% does alot for your dps over the duration of a hunt, 50% affinity is probably worth at least a 200 more raw damage on end game hammer/ GS i'm probably be conservative with that aswell.
Comparing "depth of midnight" at 858 and 0% affinity and "megrez's asterism" at 726 and 50%.

726 x ( 1 + 0.5x0.25 ) = 726 x 1.125 = 816.75 < 858

So unless I got a hard on for poison and happen to have awaken active, megrez is kind of a ripoff.

Merguez more like.

Merguez needs a mantle and a moonshard as well, while the other one (w/o the sexy aff but w/ superior dmg Expectation) only needs a mantle.

ace3skoot

Do crits have any other benefit beside added dmg (+25%, right?)? Increased flinch chance or something?

well the fact it does more damage will inherently increase your chance of monsters flinching, but 25% does alot for your dps over the duration of a hunt, 50% affinity is probably worth at least a 200 more raw damage on end game hammer/ GS i'm probably be conservative with that aswell.

Ridley327

Mine shows up randomly every so often and then leaves again.

Speaking of which, what's up with that? Is it normal for the ship rankings to fluctuate up and down? Sometimes I have access to four destinations, sometimes two, sometimes they're three stars, sometimes two, etc.

It is; you'll get a message for that boat saying that they made "upgrades," which will enable them to places that you aren't able to normally access. The boats themselves max out at three stars (three destinations for all three categories, basically), but there's still a fourth location that they can visit when you get that message.

DaBoss

I'm scared of G-Rank now with those Advanced quests lol.

Just FYI I'll make OT2 tomorrow when I get up if we pass 20k overnight. Otherwise, tomorrow is the day!

I'm supposed to post it in Community, right?

Yea, I'm pretty sure it should be posted in the Community.

Just curious, but is there a really "bad set" that you can make once you start really farming stuff. I'm just about to open HR stuff in Moga Village and the girl and I are in the process of clearing out HR2 stuff in MP ... and I always look at stuff and think "hey, I should make that!" but then second guess wasting materials.

Also, what are some good skills for Dual Blades? I use Attack (S) and Quick Sharpening right now, but is there some skills/armor that really make it shine?

Right now I have 3 pieces of Ratholos, 1 Gigginox, and 1 Rathian (I can't get the Ratholos Plate to drop) using Brother Flames.

I think up until now it hasn't been much of an issue, but once I hit HR I really don't want to gimp myself.

also

Banned
Bombs are super helpful for soloing G rank. With bombs I completed the quest in ~22 minutes, without them I carted thrice against Diablos (I'm still not that good at using GS against fast monsters).
This game makes me really wish Wii U had automatic video recording like PS4. So many epic/WTF/funny... moments I wanted to record.

Arveene

Neo Member
Just curious, but is there a really "bad set" that you can make once you start really farming stuff. I'm just about to open HR stuff in Moga Village and the girl and I are in the process of clearing out HR2 stuff in MP ... and I always look at stuff and think "hey, I should make that!" but then second guess wasting materials.

Also, what are some good skills for Dual Blades? I use Attack (S) and Quick Sharpening right now, but is there some skills/armor that really make it shine?

Right now I have 3 pieces of Ratholos, 1 Gigginox, and 1 Rathian (I can't get the Ratholos Plate to drop) using Brother Flames.

I think up until now it hasn't been much of an issue, but once I hit HR I really don't want to gimp myself.

A lot of it depends on your playstyle. A few key skills for DBs are Razor Sharp, Marathon Runner, and Speed Sharpening. Stam Recovery Up can be nice for DS as well. Sharpness+1 is pretty key for most weapons once you get to G-rank. AuX skills are always nice. Evasion allows you to be really aggressive and stay near the monster at all times.

A "bad set" would be something like using Status or Ele Attack Up without an appropriate weapon, guard skills without something that blocks, etc. Just use whatever works best for you and your own playstyle.

A lot of it depends on your playstyle. A few key skills for DBs are Razor Sharp, Marathon Runner, and Speed Sharpening. Sharpness+1 is pretty key for most weapons once you get to G-rank. AuX skills are always nice. Evasion allows you to be really aggressive and stay near the monster at all times.

Yeah, I've been trying to find 'mobility' and weapon skills just not sure what armor really helps.

Awesome, will do some wiki searching and see what I find, thanks!

It is; you'll get a message for that boat saying that they made "upgrades," which will enable them to places that you aren't able to normally access. The boats themselves max out at three stars (three destinations for all three categories, basically), but there's still a fourth location that they can visit when you get that message.

But it's normal for the boats to drop down to 1 star after being at 3, etc?

Mupod

omg...so it has a random chance of appearing..and if it does appear i have like a small chance of actually getting the thing i wanted ...thats just frustrating, at least when i'm farming for a mantle i feel like i'm accomplishing something :p

let me guess, after Artian Boots? Or armor stones to complete your combo list?

I'm trying to spam pirate's tomb myself right now for both, already made one set of boots and I want the gunner ones too. I just don't send them anywhere until the 'upgrades' message pops up and then equip them with a treasure tracker. That in itself has been frustrating because I captured an Azure Los, Black Diablos, Nargacuga and Duramboros consecutively with no rare trade rewards. Diablos in particular is super annoying in moga woods because it changes areas at the drop of a hat, and it'll go back and forth between two areas that are pretty far from one another.

The treasure trackers are definitely worth it though. You get I think double what you normally would.

But it's normal for the boats to drop down to 1 star after being at 3, etc?

Uh...the boats have independent upgrade levels of one another. Other than that, at best you'll get 1 extra star level when they make upgrades. The 'we can hunt monsters today' thing only comes up occasionally as well, although it's kind of a waste of time outside of free dash extract.

Arveene

Neo Member
Yeah, I've been trying to find 'mobility' and weapon skills just not sure what armor really helps.

Awesome, will do some wiki searching and see what I find, thanks!

LR/HR sets with Evasion+1 would be Volvidon, Barioth, Nargacuga. Volvidon is nice because it also has tremor resist and AuM.

Sets with Razor Sharp are Agnaktor, Zinogre, Vangis, Wroggi, and Rath Soul. Of those I could see Wroggi and Rath Soul being on the easier side to get while having some really nice skills in addition to Razor Sharp. (Negate Poison, Shaka Rally, and Speed Eating+1 for Wroggi. CE+2 and Earplugs for Rath Soul). The other sets I feel don't offer nearly as much or might be a bit tough to get early on.

Marathon Runner is only on Plesioth and Ludroth I believe, but it's a really strong skill for DS and it's worth using an armor set for that alone. I think Ludroth S has like 7 points towards hearing as well, so it should be easy to toss on Earplugs or HGE. Possibly even speed sharpening if you have a charm for either of those skills. I have a +6 Evasion 1 slot charm so I pretty much toss evade+1 on anything I make.

LR/HR sets with Evasion+1 would be Volvidon, Barioth, Nargacuga. Volvidon is nice because it also has tremor resist and AuM.

Sets with Razor Sharp are Agnaktor, Zinogre, Vangis, Wroggi, and Rath Soul. Of those I could see Wroggi and Rath Soul being on the easier side to get while having some really nice skills in addition to Razor Sharp. (Negate Poison, Shaka Rally, and Speed Eating+1 for Wroggi. CE+2 and Earplugs for Rath Soul). The other sets I feel don't offer nearly as much or might be a bit tough to get early on.

Marathon Runner is only on Plesioth and Ludroth I believe, but it's a really strong skill for DS and it's worth using an armor set for that alone. I think Ludroth S has like 7 points towards hearing as well, so it should be easy to toss on Earplugs or HGE. Possibly even speed sharpening if you have a charm for either of those skills. I have a +6 Evasion 1 slot charm so I pretty much toss evade+1 on anything I make.

Awesome. Do you know what sets have Handicraft (Sharpness +1) or is that the one you mentioned with Razor Sharp? It's kind of confusing figuring out the skills right now.

Fistwell

Awesome. Do you know what sets have Handicraft (Sharpness +1) or is that the one you mentioned with Razor Sharp? It's kind of confusing figuring out the skills right now.
Confusing as all fuck. Razor sharp decreases the rate at which your blade(s) dull, handicraft gives sharpness+1. The latter is only found on g rank sets afaik.

Nooo

Thought the pain was over after I got 2 Cloudy Moonshards. Now I've gotta hunt G Durambros for the stupid Durambolite so I can complete L.Narga set. Thought I could just mine it somewhere :(

zruben

Banned
I just bought this game because everybody says it's awesome and I liked the demo...

but now I feel like a total n00b, seeing that this thread is 396 pages long.
any starter tips? :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just bought this game because everybody says it's awesome and I liked the demo...

Gather at every gathering point you find. You'll need Honey, Spiderwebs, Blue Mushrooms, ore, lots and lots of stuff. Do some of the beginning Village Quest. Some aren't that exciting, but it'll familiarize you with the game and allow you to collect some materials. When you find a weapon you really enjoy using (you start with a basic weapon of every type in your box), jump online. You can see how other people are playing and glean tips from doing so.

Hoodbury

Start on page 1?

:p

jk,

collect everything you can at the start, make a full set of armor and upgrade your weapon as soon as you can. You'll figure out the rest with playing and reading the text from the game. Stick to the Moga village though for a bit til you get the hang of the mechanics.

Mupod

Nooo

Thought the pain was over after I got 2 Cloudy Moonshards. Now I've gotta hunt G Durambros for the stupid Durambolite so I can complete L.Narga set. Thought I could just mine it somewhere :(

it's not that bad as long as you remember to mine the tail after you crack it and he gets it stuck in the ground. I somehow managed to get two in one regular/rust arena fight. Which is really hilarious with randoms, I might add

DaBoss

Feel free to point out any links I missed and stuff. You can remove the "DaBoss:" part if you want Andrex, just wanted to point out they were my comments and not a general consensus thing lol.

Useful Links

Wikis

Monster Hunter Wikia
DaBoss: Has useful information regarding all things Monster Hunter. It isn't complete, but still has a lot of
information that is useful.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Wiki
DaBoss: Has useful information regarding Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. It isn't complete, but still has a lot of
information that is useful, and refers to the Japanese names of materials, monsters, and armors.

Miscellaneous

Kiranico - MH3U
DaBoss: A site (the best site IMO) that uses the database that Ping's program uses (the link below), but is
a site. It has weapon trees (that you can actually use CTRL+F on), monster pages with complete drop rates,
and an item search which tells you where you can find the item and what it can be used for. It is also very
mobile friendly (tested on my iPhone using Google Chrome).

Ping's MH3GDex
DaBoss: A great program for Windows OS that contains information about many things such as where can
you get items, materials required for armors, weapons, and jewels, skills, and more.

GameFAQs
DaBoss: Contains many helpful guides and tips about Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

MHag Online App
DaBoss: It is a useful web-app that allows one to determine an ideal (armor) set. It also gives an easy way
to share these sets. Sadly, it refers to monsters and the materials in Japanese. It is being updated, so that
will change soon. There is also a program version.

MHag Application
DaBoss: This is a program that can be used on any OS that supports Java. It is similar to its online version,
but also has a feature that allows you to determine sets based on the skills you want. However, this hasn't
been updated for a long time and refers to monsters armors in their Japanese names.

it's not that bad as long as you remember to mine the tail after you crack it and he gets it stuck in the ground. I somehow managed to get two in one regular/rust arena fight. Which is really hilarious with randoms, I might add

You can mine Duramboros?!?! I don't even...

When you say cracked, what do you mean exactly?

DaBoss

You can mine Duramboros?!?! I don't even...

When you say cracked, what do you mean exactly?

If you attack the tail, it will eventually crack. It will look a bit busted. You can mine its tail when it does that super jump and slams its whole body into the ground. Then after damaging the tail even further, it will break off.

Confusing as all fuck. Razor sharp decreases the rate at which your blade(s) dull, handicraft gives sharpness+1. The latter is only found on g rank sets afaik.

Yeah it is! I'm just starting to look at sets and wiki's with the information I need to track down stuff. I think the Ceadeus Armor is a good start (still have to fight him, on that quest now) and then I can use that to jump into high rank stuff.

taybul

?

Just did a quest where it was night time on the Sandy Plains. This is the first time I've seen night time and I've played for 20 hours. What gives? Reading up on it, it is supposed to advanced day/night while on quests and after resting but no such thing happens for me?
Yep. Just another way the game keeps you on your toes. You'll see what time of day the quest will be on the job description. It'll say something like "S. Plains (N)" for nighttime.

I've also never seen the time of day change during a quest in this game or any others whether you rest or not. You might've read something about the Mega Village free roam area.

Hoodbury

Reading up on it, it is supposed to advanced day/night while on quests and after resting but no such thing happens for me?

It did that on Tri. They switched it here where once you get to high rank you can choose when leaving for the free roam moga woods whether you want to go out during the day or night. Day will be low rank stuff and night will be high rank.

Certain quests will be day or night versions but you only need to pay attention to that for the Sandy plains. You will need hot drinks when it's night time there and cool drinks when it's day time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jesus capturing still seems impossible. I have the damn armor that lets me see when they're cappable, I lay the trap, hit Peco with two tranq bombs and he still breaks free. It worked just fine when I tried it last time! Is there an element of random chance in this as well? 0.2% chance of trap actually working, some bullshit like that?

Doombear

Jesus capturing still seems impossible. I have the damn armor that lets me see when they're cappable, I lay the trap, hit Peco with two tranq bombs and he still breaks free. It worked just fine when I tried it last time! Is there an element of random chance in this as well? 0.2% chance of trap actually working, some bullshit like that?

Not at all. Enraged monsters and monsters that have already been paralyzed/shock trapped in that mission will tend to break out faster, otherwise sounds like you just aren't fast enough on the tranqs =(

DaBoss

How early can you get the perception skill? I'd love it on a talisman, but am not sure how to get.

Aquaglow Jewel
Rhenoplos Shell
Binoculars

There is no chance to it. Maybe you have a negative Tranquilizer skill which makes you need to throw 3 tranqs instead of 2.

Mupod

Nothing random involved. Do you have status atk down on your armor? If you do, you need 3 tranqs. Also, Peco can actually heal himself slightly with that long dance he does, but if his paintball icon is flashing then he should still be weak.

Only other ideas I have are that you're accidentally hitting allies instead of the monster, missing, or he's breaking out of the trap before/as the second one hits. If two tranqs doesn't do it go give him another whack or two, it might push him over the threshold. And of course, always bring backup traps.

I'm in the habit of always capturing because it sped up solo g-rank hunts in MHFU massively, and it's basically the only way that impact weapon users can ever get monster tails. I'd capture every time if not for those monsters whom it's better to carve for rare items, and I can't always remember offhand which those are.

How early can you get the perception skill? I'd love it on a talisman, but am not sure how to get.

I got a +10 perception talisman rather early, but I think you can get it off Bone armor. Which should be available almost immediately. The gems are made out of Rhenoplos parts and binoculars, both of which you can get as soon as sandy plains are open. They give 2 skill points each so you only need 5 slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom