• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camjo-Z

Alright folks, after spending well over 100 hours in both Freedom Unite and Tri I have finally ordered both the Wii U and 3DS versions! Let the monster hunting... COMMENCE!*

*in 48 hours because two-day shipping

Never really played Monster Hunter before. I'd like it for both platforms possibly, but is there enough without the online mode on the 3DS version?

I didn't play Tri online a ton and I still felt like I got my money's worth so I'd say an enhanced version would certainly have enough content.

Abandond

Played the demo again as Blademaster. Man I cannot enjoy these long animations and slow speed vs the bunny. He just fucking gets on his stomach and slides across the level. By the time I get over to him with my huge sword, he slides away AGAIN. This literally happened 6 times in a row. Now that I think about it, I probably should have just made him hit a wall.

Ranged was interesting but felt fairly weird, I would target the boss with the left trigger but it would just end up facing in a completely different direction. Like my camera would look towards the boss, but my character would not. I am probably doing something wrong here, Ill give it another go later.

Dual swords is definitely my favorite and the only class I have really enjoyed so far. Maybe ifI can figure out how to play ranged, Ill like it more. How much of a difference does the circle pad pro make? I might get it just to have a more comfy grip as I get really bad hand pain after 20~ minutes on the XL. Wsh Hori would release that mario kart grip for the XL.

Played the demo again as Blademaster. Man I cannot enjoy these long animations and slow speed vs the bunny. He just fucking gets on his stomach and slides across the level. By the time I get over to him with my huge sword, he slides away AGAIN. This literally happened 6 times in a row. Now that I think about it, I probably should have just made him hit a wall.

Ranged was interesting but felt fairly weird, I would target the boss with the left trigger but it would just end up facing in a completely different direction. Like my camera would look towards the boss, but my character would not. I am probably doing something wrong here, Ill give it another go later.

Dual swords is definitely my favorite and the only class I have really enjoyed so far. Maybe ifI can figure out how to play ranged, Ill like it more. How much of a difference does the circle pad pro make? I might get it just to have a more comfy grip as I get really bad hand pain after 20~ minutes on the XL. Wsh Hori would release that mario kart grip for the XL.
Are you trying to run over to him while your weapon is out? In this game, you sheathe your weapon to move around. It takes some getting used to, but I rarely spend any time chasing monsters down in this game.

ultron87

I must now decide whether to just get the Wii U version or also pick up the 3DS version. I'm going to PAX East this weekend so theoretically that'd be a good time to get some hunting in, but I dunno.

Is there any worthwhile Streetpass stuff I'd benefit from? Because PAX is the promised land of Streetpass.

Deku Tree

I have been playing Xenoblade for more than a month now (not that much time to play each day). I am over 40+ hours into the game. I am at level 53.

But MH3U is coming in the mail in a few days. I want to start playing MH3U but I don't want to stop playing Xenoblade.

Not sure what I should do... don't have enough time to regularly play both...

Fistwell

He just fucking gets on his stomach and slides across the level. By the time I get over to him with my huge sword, he slides away AGAIN. This literally happened 6 times in a row. Now that I think about it, I probably should have just made him hit a wall.
The game expects you to expect it. Once you've seen it do that once, you know to look for the time when he stops sliding and only then haul ass over there at that point. Learning monster moves, patterns and tells is a bg part of the game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I have been playing Xenoblade for more than a month now (not that much time to play each day). I am over 40+ hours into the game. I am at level 53.

But MH3U is coming in the mail in a few days. I want to start playing MH3U but I don't want to stop playing Xenoblade.

Not sure what I should do... don't have enough time to regularly play both...

Finish Xenoblade. If you put it down, it'll be really tough to pick back up without restarting it. At least that's how jRPGs are for me. It's also a fantastic game worth playing all the way through.

PusherT

What is the best way to use smoke bombs and lure in monster to eat meats "poison,tinged etc ?? I know that you have to go unseen to to get the monster to do such things but I have never mastered the art of proper smoke bombing

Is there any worthwhile Streetpass stuff I'd benefit from? Because PAX is the promised land of Streetpass.

Yes.

You get their guild card and they can join you as NPC hunters that you send out to do quests on their own and they will come back and give you an item, success or failure.

Pietepiet

Alright, got me a copy at work (for Wii U). Never played a Monster Hunter-game before so I'm very excited and curious! Gonna download and install the game tonight, hopefully.

Oh boy, this is going to be a week of daily asking every store around here (Utrecht) if they have it...

creid

I must now decide whether to just get the Wii U version or also pick up the 3DS version. I'm going to PAX East this weekend so theoretically that'd be a good time to get some hunting in, but I dunno.

From what I've read: people you've Streetpassed gather in your port. You can then send them out to do some quests, and they return with rewards.
Edit: beated

Dungeon_Caper

Neo Member
My copies of MH3 Ultimate have shipped from Amazon! I've been a lurker on GAF for a long time and now that I'm a member, I hope I can have some good hunts with you guys!

Abandond

Are you trying to run over to him while your weapon is out? In this game, you sheathe your weapon to move around. It takes some getting used to, but I rarely spend any time chasing monsters down in this game.
That makes sense. I will definitely keep this in mind. I just assumed the time to put it away and back out would take longer but thats probably not the case.

The game expects you to expect it. Once you've seen it do that once, you know to look for the time when he stops sliding and only then haul ass over there at that point. Learning monster moves, patterns and tells is a bg part of the game.
Also very good advice. I could have also just ran towards wheever he would end up as soon as he starts the animation. Doesnt help that the level has a time limit of 20. Is this also the case in the full game?

Random question: is it possible to increase your attack speed in the game in some way? I think dual sword spoiled me.

Also, Ill just ask again for people with the pad pro; is it a nice addition and makes the game more enjoyable or is it negligible? I feel ranged would be better if I could easily move my camera.

That makes sense. I will definitely keep this in mind. I just assumed the time to put it away and back out would take longer but thats probably not the case.

Also very good advice. I could have also just ran towards wheever he would end up as soon as he starts the animation. Doesnt help that the level has a time limit of 20. Is this also the case in the full game?

Random question: is it possible to increase your attack speed in the game in some way? I think dual sword spoiled me.

Also, Ill just ask again for people with the pad pro; is it a nice addition and makes the game more enjoyable or is it negligible? I feel ranged would be better if I could easily move my camera.
Depends on the mission undertaken but you normally get around 50mins.

JKTrix

I do, unfortunately. I have to register an adress, digital purchase or not, and it has to match my credit card so any random adress won't do.

I just tried this too, and I have a US address on my non-US card that I get things shipped to all the time. No luck.

I really wish I could afford the Wii U to play the game online. Went with 3DS cheaper price of admission and has the mobility factor. Maybe in a few months when I get more free $$ I can go with Wii U. Sure am glad the 3ds version can transfer data. What's everyone opinion of Great Baggi??

great-baggi.jpg
Irrelevant.

Gendrome >>> All

ibsHiqTjD2jDTW.gif

And he's back on MH4!

DaBoss

In tri online I fought some huge ass Great Baggi . I love the tundra environment so many great monsters Barioth, Great Baggi and that Deviljho fight in the snow. lagambi battle was fun in the snow aswell.

I agree, the Tundra is one of my favourite areas, except I'm one of those guys sometimes that asks for hot drinks lol.

Mupod

Quests generally have a 50 minute limit in the full game.

There aren't really attack speed boosts, but there's skills which can make you sheathe your weapon or charge attacks up faster. Very nice for the Greatsword.

If you really want to be fast and mobile try the sword and shield. The demo DS is way better than the demo SnS though.

ultron87

How much of this game is gathering resources before fighting the big monsters? Because the demo started you off with what felt like a full set of stuff.

Do you need to take a lot of downtime to replenish your stuff between taking down the big guys? Obviously there's a reason for all the little monsters and stuff to gather so I know it is in there, but I'm just curious how much time is spent gathering stuff and getting prepared vs actually fighting the main monsters. Or maybe I'm just entirely misreading the flow of the game.

It's a judgment call. Sometimes you want to keep your weapon out because the monster will come right back, and sometimes you want to sheathe and run over. The more you play, the better you get at knowing what the right thing to do is. I know my first time playing, I felt just like you do.

The bonus to sheathing is that even if the monster keeps moving, you're already in the best position to take advantage of that. So if Rathian charges away, you sheathe, and then Rathian charges back, you can still use your newfound mobility to place your attack at her head, etc. If you didn't sheathe, then you would probably just have to attack whatever was next to you after you dodged her charge.

How much of this game is gathering resources before fighting the big monsters? Because the demo started you off with what felt like a full set of stuff.

Do you need to take a lot of downtime to replenish your stuff between taking down the big guys? Obviously there's a reason for all the little monsters and stuff to gather so I know it is in there, but I'm just curious how much time is spent gathering stuff and getting prepared vs actually fighting the main monsters. Or maybe I'm just entirely misreading the flow of the game.
Gathering resources is very minimal compared to fighting monsters. I would say something like a 20/80 split, though at the very beginning of the game it's more like a 50/50 split. The farther along you get, the less preparation is needed because you use resources less often due to getting better.

Qurupeke

I really wish I could afford the Wii U to play the game online. Went with 3DS cheaper price of admission and has the mobility factor. Maybe in a few months when I get more free $$ I can go with Wii U. Sure am glad the 3ds version can transfer data. What's everyone opinion of Great Baggi??

great-baggi.jpg

Annoying and not as cool as Gr. Jaggi.

I'm finding it strange that the mom and pops by me STILL don't have the 3ds version yet...I guess ill just try my luck with Target tomorrow

PusherT

I agree, the Tundra is one of my favourite areas, except I'm one of those guys sometimes that asks for hot drinks lol.

Those desert night missions can be a hoot too. A lot of new MH player get screwed over in Tundra and Night Desert missions. Gigganox was fun too.

Abandond

Depends on the mission undertaken but you normally get around 50mins.

Cool, thanks.

Quests generally have a 50 minute limit in the full game.

There aren't really attack speed boosts, but there's skills which can make you sheathe your weapon or charge attacks up faster. Very nice for the Greatsword.

If you really want to be fast and mobile try the sword and shield. The demo DS is way better than the demo SnS though.

Oh, that does sound nice. Alright, Ill try sword and shield in a few minutes.

Thanks for answering my questions all, its been a great help. Never played the series before, :p.

DaBoss

Those desert night missions can be a hoot too. A lot of new MH player get screwed over in Tundra and Night Desert missions. Gigganox was fun too.

Gigginox can go die in hole after jumping off a cliff without being able to fly. I couldn't get an unnerve talon from that thing at all.

PusherT

Eww, looks like some hideous PS2 era thing.

Give me Jaggi any day.
FuqnPhm.gif

I think you mean baggi . His power to sleep is awesome for bombing especially for Alatreaon "glittering" black dragon. Baggi SnS with full Barhnhba armour so powerfull.

kinggroin

Banned

Patterns. Learn them.

Usually he'll do the long slide more than once. DO NOT CHASE HIM. Pay attention to the direction he's facing after a slide, and anticipate where the next one will send him. Meet him there and bash his face in.

PusherT

Gigginox can go die in hole after jumping off a cliff without being able to fly. I couldn't get an unnerve talon from that thing at all.
I would love to have khezu in this game aswell. Imagine a duel hunt Khezu on the ground and gigganox on the ceiling. Pale white death!!

I didn't do much capturing in the original game. Is it generally more beneficial to do so when you are able? More rewards than you would get for carving?

Korezo

Whats the table I would want for GS/LS? Was going to do switch axe but not anymore since gear for that one weapon requires a specific table thats not the best for weapons I normally like to use like LS/GS and bow.

great-baggi.jpg

I only fought it Twice. I dont care for it.
Its not as good as the Great Jaggi.

Input lag still present in the final game?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/65722137

Strange button lag, not very noticeable during combat, but when trying to go through item / equipment menus quickly. Controller distance to console sensor seemed to make a large difference. (also only noticed it on new wii u pro controller)

Table 10 is also good for hammers too, correct?

Take it from someone who will be using hammers a lot: yup! :)

Whats the table I would want for GS/LS? Was going to do switch axe but not anymore since gear for that one weapon requires a specific table thats not the best for weapons I normally like to use like LS/GS and bow.

Which table are you referring to? I wanted to go SA, but this is the first time I'm hearing that it's upgrade path isn't compatible with other weapon types.

deviljho

I didn't do much capturing in the original game. Is it generally more beneficial to do so when you are able? More rewards than you would get for carving?

Drop rates change. And some loot is available through carving only. You'd need to look at the wiki page for monster specific drop rates for carving/capturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom