• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorman

Life would be so much sweeter right now if the eShop was doing a midnight release. Now I'm going to work tomorrow instead of anjoying monster hunter all day long. Sigh.

I'm really glad to see this game get more Wii U users out there. Hopefully this will mean well for the MH series.

Opus Angelorum said:
I'm tempted, but I've never played the series!

If you're interested, do a lot of research. Or if you know someone with a Wii and Tri, give that game a shot. See if you really like it.
I'm not sure if it's worth it to buy a console for a game you might not like. Unless there are other games for the Wii U you are interested in.

Abandond

Life would be so much sweeter right now if the eShop was doing a midnight release. Now I'm going to work tomorrow instead of anjoying monster hunter all day long. Sigh.

Or preload that I can run at midnight.

Also thanks for the Gears mention. Going to head to GS after class to place my pre order. Free guide, I guess.

Also, why didnt NA get the PS3 MH? I thought the games always did well over here.

You just ruined my day. Tell me what you know. I was expecting to download this at 12:01 EST.

Releasing 9 am pst as it is not published by Nintendo.

Chuckpebble

You just ruined my day. Tell me what you know. I was expecting to download this at 12:01 EST.

King_Moc

Banned
Just added everyone i could fit from off of the EU/Australia list. Should hopefully have this on thursday, though will probably ignore online until i have Jaggi gear on. Which should be on Thursday also, all going well.

Mupod

There's a bullfango head in this right? I swear I saw some Bullfangoes in a trailer.

If you can get it in low rank I think I'm just gonna rock that online until high rank.

chronosic

There's a bullfango head in this right? I swear I saw some Bullfangoes in a trailer.

If you can get it in low rank I think I'm just gonna rock that online until high rank.

When I looked at the event quests before they took them down, there was a bullfango one.

Beelzebub

Just got back from Gamestop, gonna pick up my Wii U copy at midnight:) I originally had the deal on amazon set but my delivery date got messed up due to some prime membership issues. I can't wait, when I get out of my late class tonight I'm just going to be stalking the store

I'm tempted, but I've never played the series! It looks like a game I would love.

ICEMANnoob on youtube. He has a million videos about monster hunter, many of which are guides for new players. Check out the videos for ultimate and the ones for Portable 3rd HD, since this game is an expansion on that mostly.

Doorman

You sound about the way I did this time yesterday. The eShop release comes at noon EST, not midnight. By going digital I'm now basically missing the first day of play, as I won't even be able to start downloading the game until after work at like 4:30. I guess I'll ba able to start playing after dinner...? :/

Day 1 for me will basically be getting up uo the point where I can make sure I'm not in a cursed charm table, and that's about it. Wednesday is the real blowout for me.

Jarsonot

Noon release is lame. I don't care who publishes the game, why does that change the release time?

Stoopid.

Midnight is midnight, fools. Somebody tell 'em!

Mupod

Everyone pronounces it Devil Joe but in my head I like to call him Devil J. Ho.

His japanese name is actually Evil Joe. More or less. I always loved it because it sounds like something that locals of a backwater fishing village would call a big ole 'gator.

Hoodbury

Got this bookmarked on my iPod touch already. Its a bit sluggish there, since its java heavy, but it works nonetheless.

Nice, was looking for one of those types of sites updated for Ultimate. Use to play around with one of those over my lunch breaks at work for Tri and then would go home and know who to start farming to make my ultra cool mixed sets. :)

deviljho

His japanese name is actually Evil Joe. More or less. I always loved it because it sounds like something that locals of a backwater fishing village would call a big ole 'gator.

My Mama says that deviljho are ornery because they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.

You sound about the way I did this time yesterday. The eShop release comes at noon EST, not midnight. By going digital I'm now basically missing the first day of play, as I won't even be able to start downloading the game until after work at like 4:30. I guess I'll ba able to start playing after dinner...? :/

Day 1 for me will basically be getting up uo the point where I can make sure I'm not in a cursed charm table, and that's about it. Wednesday is the real blowout for me.

I feel ya Doorman. I won't be able to start downloading the games until 6pm tomorrow :(. I put money on both the eshops for the game so I won't be picking up physical copies instead. At least the 3DS version should download quickly so I can get my character started. Hopefully I'll be able to start playing online late Tuesday night. If not I guess I'll have to wait until Wednesday night :(

Jawmuncher

I did I beat that jerk Plesioth!
I know I was cutting in close on time again (my guess was 2 minutes left on clock)

So glad I was able to beat him before I get the game tomorrow. I had to stick on him really good for most of the battle. Also in sure the tip about shocking him and using bombs helped to.

DaBoss

Got this bookmarked on my iPod touch already. Its a bit sluggish there, since its java heavy, but it works nonetheless.

Haha, I was constantly talking about that site whenever someone asks any good guides in the announcement thread. It is a really good site and we can potentially share sets with each other.

There is also a PC application just like this made by the same guy.

I know I was cutting in close on time again (my guess was 2 minutes left on clock)

So glad I was able to beat him before I get the game tomorrow. I had to stick on him really good for most of the battle. Also in sure the tip about shocking him and using bombs helped to.
I must have had less than 10 seconds when I got him. The "1 minute left" ticker came up, and there was a long, long minute before he went down. I was going to rage if I ran out of time since he was limping.

Proven

Went to Target for the b2g1 free sale. They had 3 copies of Ultimate. But for Wii U. Which I can't afford until the summer. So I'm bummed.

Luckily, Amazon usually delivers next day since I'm in NYC, but I did only place my order last Thursday. If I don't get a "shipped" email tonight I'm going Gamestop hunting as well.

So there were torches and dark caves in Tri, and now there are still torches but the caves have been brightened up so they are not necessary.

Did the darkness/light thing ever amount to anything in Tri, or was it just an annoying unnecessary mechanic that they've now eliminated?

Was there ever a crazy monster fight in the dark that torches were necessary for?

I remember in Tri that torches already seemed optional, if you squinted enough you could still see everything (depending on your TV). And caves other than the Desert Island seemed lit decently well anyway.

Will anyone use a torch now that there aren't any dark areas?

Torches were cool because you could keep them out while using SnS.

On a more serious note, I don't remember what exactly it did for Gigginox. For Giggis and Bhnabras it scared them away so you could mine in caves and gather in swaps in relative peace.

Still, I can't tell you how cool it felt doing dark cave fights against Gigginox, using an SnS with the torch lighting the path, and sticking to the monster well enough to be a beacon to my fellow hunters. Completely unnecessary but fun. And thinking about it some more, having the torch out may have made Gigginox focus on you more (primary heat source), which would explain why I had to use the shield so much at times.

Jawmuncher

I must have had less than 10 seconds when I got him. The "1 minute left" ticker came up, and there was a long, long minute before he went down. I was going to rage if I ran out of time since he was limping.

Yeah that happened to me last time I tried the fight. Capcom next time needs to make the time limit 30. That gives you enough wiggle room to fight the monster I think.

Subtle

Now you're going to have to beat him again and again and again :)!

Hoodbury

Is the demo really just 20 minutes time limit?

If so that's the worst thing ever.

Ya, I'm still not sure why they do that but it was like that for the Tri demo as well.

It's not so bad for the easy fight, but for pleso it can be the reason for pass or fail depending on how often he zone switches on you. It just takes so long to swim back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom