• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuntz

Jumping on EU Tri right now for all evening.

Let's sharpen those rusty reflexes together (no wii U, no 3ds couldn't even try the demo).

ID : YJJD14

I'm waiting in Valor 1 Gate 3 City 8

Does someone come ?

Hiltz

According to NPD data, Monster Hunter Tri on Wii reportedly sold under 135k copies (the actual number may have been around 110,897k copies) during its first week of sales in April 2010. It ranked #11th place on the software chart. As of January 2010, the Wii's install base in the U.S. was over 27 million units. Worldwide sales were at 71 million units by May 2010. By May, MH Tri had fallen off of the top 20 NPD chart. Hardware sales were lower when comparing March's sales (557.5k units sold with no new game releases) to April's (277.2k units sold with MH Tri being the only new game released). However, May's NPD sales were up (334.8k with Mario Galaxy 2 being a new game released). In Europe, Tri apparently sold around 73k copies during its first week. Combined NA and PAL sales were apparently 690k copies 3 months after the game's release. Overall, combined sales were around 800k-900k copies.

I guess MH3U HD will probably sell under 100k units in March. It's still obviously a niche franchise overseas, and it doesn't help that its lacking a significant marketing campaign (though it does have a Wii U deluxe bundle option in Europe ) or how the title is a glorified 3DS port, albeit a good one. In addition, it faces steep software competition (Lego City, Gears of War: Judgment, Star Craft: Heart of the Swarm, Tomb Raider, Sim City, God of War: Ascension, Luigi's Mansion 2, and maybe older titles like Dead Space 3). I doubt it will make the top 10 NPD chart.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone playing 3DS offline only have any immediate impressions? I simply cannot justify a WiiU for this, especially since a majority of the other WiiU titles are just of zero interest to me. I hate that the game is offline only for a 3DS owner, but it is what it is.

Rajack

Target had the games out on the shelf, but refused to sell them to me when I wanted them. WTF Target!? Don't you want my money!?

Well, it seems I'm also now a Wii U owner, currently sitting through the epic system update and slow-ass menus solely for MH3U. I got 70 hours of solo enjoyment out of Tri and I've been missing a big-screen MH game since, so looking forward to Friday (grr EU). I'll have to try multiplayer with this one, even though that might not be so wise considering my free time.

So, midnight eShop launch? Does Nintendo do that for 3rd party games?

According to NPD data, Monster Hunter Tri on Wii reportedly sold under 135k copies (the actual number may have been around 110,897k copies) during its first week of sales in April 2010. It ranked #11th place on the software chart. As of January 2010, the Wii's install base in the U/S. was over 27 million units. Worldwide sales were at 71 million units by May 2010. By May, MH Tri had fallen off of the top 20 NPD chart. Hardware sales were lower when comparing March's sales (557.5k units sold with no new game releases) to April's (277.2k units sold with MH Tri being the only new game released). However, May's NPD sales were up (334.8k with Mario Galaxy 2 being a new game released). In Europe, Tri apparently sold around 73k copies during its first week. Combined NA and PAL sales were apparently 690k copies 3 months after the game's release. Overall, combined sales were around 800k-900k copies.

I guess MH3U HD will probably sell under 130k units in March. It's still obviously a niche franchise overseas, and it doesn't help that its lacking a significant marketing campaign (though it does have a Wii U deluxe bundle option in Europe ) or how the title is a glorified 3DS port, albeit a good one. In addition, it faces steep software competition (Lego City, Gears of War: Judgment, Star Craft: Heart of the Swarm, Tomb Raider, Sim City, God of War: Ascension, Luigi's Mansion 2, and maybe older titles like Dead Space 3 too). I doubt it will make the top 15 NPD chart.
Tri did 124k it's first NPD, MHFU did 68k. Tri's over 400k ltd in the US though, it had pretty great legs.

I expect 3G to debut lower than Tri but above FU. Being multiplatform (3DS +Wii U) helps too.

Target had the games out on the shelf, but refused to sell them to me when I wanted them. WTF Target!? Don't you want my money!?
So they actually have them in-store? Good news then since their website said it was online only and apparently their online version of their B2G1 does not include MH3U.

SoulFist

I bought my Wii U specifically for this game and I cannot wait. I was a bit late on Tri multiplayer, but I'm hoping to really get into this online and play with you guys.

Lucid07

I am so hyped for this on Friday.

I can remember Monster Hunter Freedom 1 like it was Yesterday, pulling the sword from the stone finally, taming the pig and making it "love" you and getting my arse handed to me by the Yian Kut Ku over and over again.

Filth

I bought my Wii U specifically for this game and I cannot wait. I was a bit late on Tri multiplayer, but I'm hoping to really get into this online and play with you guys.

System seller for me too. Good luck fellow hunters!

Add me PH1LTHY. Will accept when I get home from work tonight

Jumping on EU Tri right now for all evening.

Let's sharpen those rusty reflexes together (no wii U, no 3ds couldn't even try the demo).

ID : YJJD14

I'm waiting in Valor 1 Gate 3 City 8

Does someone come ?

Ooh me me! will be on in about half an hour.

I don't have my keyboard with me though, so I won't be very talkative :p

grrrrrr im gonna be so mad if target doesnt have lego tomorrow.
im not buying monster hunter if lego isnt there :p dat buy 2 get 1 free

i don't even know what class i am going to be, i am gonna be so bad at this game B^)
i should play the demo with my new pro controller to see what i am decent at.

Filth

When it comes to communicating. They have voice chat straight from the tablet controller ? I still have the USB keyboard from the wii.

Kuntz

Ooh me me! will be on in about half an hour.

I don't have my keyboard with me though, so I won't be very talkative :p

Nice !

Playing with high rank players right now so I changed location, but i'm checking gaf every now and then so i'll be there on time.

no keyboard either...

Lenardo

Banned
i'll be buying this via E-shop I think-anyone know how big it is? i might have enough room on the internal flash still...otherwise i will move your shape fitness over to hard drive first (hey -i'm using that "game" to lose some weight, hurt my back/foot so had to take a week off but i was 2 weeks into a program and i -had lost a few lbs and noticed some definition starting to form in my gut-i want to lose 15lbs by summer-get down to ~175)

Between this and Lego City....(wife buy lego city for the kids due to their report cards being Good) they are going to be busy.

Hiltz

When it comes to communicating. They have voice chat straight from the tablet controller ? I still have the USB keyboard from the wii.

Yep. You can do voice chat through GamePad's microphone. In addition, you can use a headset or headphones, and it supports USB connection as well. The in-game voice chat can be set to go through the TV or GamePad speaker. Virtual keyboard on GamePad touchscreen can be used for text chat, but USB keyboard is also supported. It should be available as a day-one patch update.

Nice !

Playing with high rank players right now so I changed location, but i'm checking gaf every now and then so i'll be there on time.

no keyboard either...

Omw now. I hope I'm not too rusty, it's been since august since I last played. I'm in Valor 1 Gate 3 City 9.

chrono01

My copy shipped from EBGames, I should have it tomorrow! \(^_^)/

This is the first Monster Hunter game I'll experience, and I've been reading a lot about the Classic Controller Pro being recommended for gameplay. What about the CCP that makes it that much better than the Wii U GamePad? Keep in-mind that this is my first MH title, so if it controls differently on the Wii U GamePad it shouldn't bother me considering I have nothing to compare it to.

I don't really want to purchase a CCP purely for this game, considering I use the GamePad for pretty much everything [it's really comfortable]. However, if a CCP will drastically increase my enjoyment for the game, it's definitely something I'll re-consider.

I can't decide if I should invest in the EU 3DXL bundle, or pay a little bit more and buy a Wii U basic and the game....

Short term, the 3DS is by far the biggest pay off if you view the system as a whole. Large library of by now, discounted games. +Monster Hunter!

The Wii U though is a long term investment, but if you put more weight into Monster Hunter than other games, it can easily be the better payoff as it is easily the best controlling and looking version of the series out there. If you plan top put hundreds of hours into it, then that high upfront cost is worth it. Again, only if you really like MH

This is the first Monster Hunter game I'll experience, and I've been reading a lot about the Classic Controller Pro being recommended for gameplay. What about the CCP that makes it that much better than the Wii U GamePad? Keep in-mind that this is my first MH title, so if it controls differently on the Wii U GamePad it shouldn't bother me considering I have nothing to compare it to.

I don't really want to purchase a CCP purely for this game, considering I use the GamePad for pretty much everything [it's really comfortable]. However, if a CCP will drastically increase my enjoyment for the game, it's definitely something I'll re-consider.
I can't speak for the Wii U Pro Controller, but I do prefer the Wii CCP over the GamePad. I can't quit say why aside from ergonomics. It's something to be experienced. That said, I thought the Wii Remote was pure garbage for this game, and many people enjoyed it on that. I suggest you give the game ~2 hours on the GamePad and see how you feel.

The main advantage the CCP will get you is its insane battery life. That said, hitting the y button (sheath) can be more irksome than the gamepad because of the way your palms rest around the controller that the gamepad doesnt share. If you can hold one before purchase, i would recommend doing so to see if its comfortable.

It doesnt control differently at all because every button is present and similarly placed on the CCP/gamepad. It really all comes down to a matter of comfort and playstyle. If holding the gamepad for extended session isnt a bother, then the ccp is a luxury not a necessity.

EDIT: Opps, i was talking about the Wii U pro controller, not the wii ccp. The only advantage the CCP has over the Pro controller is the way your fingers rest on the triggers on the CPP makes it easier to hit L and R, where as on the U Pro, they rest at the ZL and ZR triggers which are not used nearly as much. You also avoid the y button placement with the cPP because the sticks lie at the bottom of the controller. Again, it comes down to taste. The downside is rechargeable batteries because it is tied to a wiimote. You will be putting ALOT of hours into this game if it grabs you.

chrono01

I can't speak for the Wii U Pro Controller, but I do prefer the Wii CCP over the GamePad. I can't quit say why aside from ergonomics. It's something to be experienced. That said, I thought the Wii Remote was pure garbage for this game, and many people enjoyed it on that. I suggest you give the game ~2 hours on the GamePad and see how you feel.
Yeah, I think I'll give it enough time to see what issues I might [potentially] have with the GamePad, and if I'm having a rough time with things, I'll try out/purchase a Classic Controller Pro and see if that improves my experience.

Thanks for the reply!

The main advantage the CCP will get you is its insane battery life. That said, hitting the y button (sheath) can be more irksome than the gamepad because of the way your palms rest around the controller that the gamepad doesnt share. If you can hold one before purchase, i would recommend doing so to see if its comfortable.

It doesnt control differently at all because every button is present and similarly placed on the CCP/gamepad. It really all comes down to a matter of comfort and playstyle. If holding the gamepad for extended session isnt a bother, then the ccp is a luxury not a necessity.
The battery life on the GamePad doesn't bother me since I sit close enough to an outlet that I can plug in/charge while playing, so that's one negative that won't affect me!

As for the other, I've played with the GamePad extensively, and I've never felt discomfort. It's not overly heavy, is spaced well enough apart, and the triggers are easily within reach.

I do appreciate your comment. I think I'll dedicate a nice portion of my time with the GamePad, and if I don't have any complaints, I'll continue as-is.

If I do, I'll simply purchase a CCP to see if that improves things. Either way, it's worth trying out both, I guess. :)

Hiltz

MH3U HD is way more tempting to get to me than the 3DS version. You get HD resolution plus all of the cool conveniences of the GamePad touchscreen. However, online play alone is the biggest benefit.

kidko

here's some links to a few vids I've posted recently.

Sub 5 Lagombi - GS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMjoRbmVT-o

Sub 4 Lagombi - DB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVCfw24J48Q

Sub 5 Lagombi - LN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjwAHIp_LKg

Sub 5 Lagombi - GL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR2jxPCnQaU

Sub 5 Lagombi - LS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1iBf6xPkxM

I just made vids for the weapons I'm interested in. Anyway, hope someone enjoys these or they help someone understand a weapon a bit more.

I was planning on doing some more Sub 4 vids but I just haven't got them recorded. I don't have video but I've also done it with LN and LS. oh well.

These are hella impressive, nice stuff! Made me interested in learning the GL

deviljho

Yeah, I think I'll give it enough time to see what issues I might [potentially] have with the GamePad, and if I'm having a rough time with things, I'll try out/purchase a Classic Controller Pro and see if that improves my experience.

For the Wii U Pro Controller, if you like to press each face button with the tip/top part of your thumb (like me), then you will have a hard time pressing "X" and moving to the right analog without bumping into it.

If you like to keep the middle of your thumb in position to be on all four face buttons and just "roll" your thumb to press a button, then you should be okay.

Either way, I think CCP will be my choice.

Thanks for the reply!

The battery life on the GamePad doesn't bother me since I sit close enough to an outlet that I can plug in/charge while playing, so that's one negative that won't affect me!

As for the other, I've played with the GamePad extensively, and I've never felt discomfort. It's not overly heavy, is spaced well enough apart, and the triggers are easily within reach.

I do appreciate your comment. I think I'll dedicate a nice portion of my time with the GamePad, and if I don't have any complaints, I'll continue as-is.

If I do, I'll simply purchase a CCP to see if that improves things. Either way, it's worth trying out both, I guess. :)

If you plan on using the off-tv play when the patch releases it might be a good idea to try and get used to the GamePad. Otherwise, yeah, just use whatever you feel comfortable with.

Quick question about the save transfer tool (3DS to Wii U), particularly for the Japan-region folks who have used it.

If I decide at a later date to grab the eShop version of the game and sell/trade my physical copy, can I do the following to get my save on the eShop version?

1) Transfer save from 3DS retail cart to Wii-U.
2) Download eShop version of MH3U.
3) Transfer save from the Wii-U to eShop version.
4) Sell/give away my retail cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom