• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it crazy that I'm considering selling my XL and buying an original 3DS so I can play this with the CPP? I kind of feel the XL is bordering on too big anyway, but I'm not looking forward to the drop in battery life.

$40 for all the luxury of the XL model is too much? You'd rather go through the hassle of selling/trading/transferring to pay another $20 for the standard CPP?
Just sayin it's not impossible to get the CPP for the XL, just slightly... odd...

Got the message that my Gamestop is doing a midnight release for this, I usually don't do those but I'm impatient as hell for MonHun! I don't have a Wii U, so just 3DS version for me, but thankfully I have 3-maybe 4 local friends who are getting this as well.

schopaia

$40 for all the luxury of the XL model is too much? You'd rather go through the hassle of selling/trading/transferring to pay another $20 for the standard CPP?
Just sayin it's not impossible to get the CPP for the XL, just slightly... odd...

Target has the 3DS for $40 off next week so the price issue is moot.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So close. Probably won't be able to play until Wednesday given I won't be able to start the download until after work.

Is it crazy that I'm considering selling my XL and buying an original 3DS so I can play this with the CPP? I kind of feel the XL is bordering on too big anyway, but I'm not looking forward to the drop in battery life.

That is crazy. I imported the CPP LL from play-asia.com for about $40. A lot less hassle than going throught the process of a system transfer and selling your system.

Doorman

Complete Monster Hunter noob here. What are the three most important things to know for tomorrow?

1: Be patient. There's a hell of a lot more to learn than any list of three things would be able to teach you. This is especially true if you haven't played the demo much and don't have much experience in this game's particular style of combat.

2: Learn your weapon. It's hard to be effective in a fight without knowing what moves you have available to you. Whatever weapon you're using, make sure you know what attacks it has, what your biggest payload attack is damage-wise, practice timing so you know how much of a window your attack uses up before you're able to dodge. You won't be able to figure out how to take advantage of a monster's openings without first learning about your own.

3: Manage your meters. Potions recover health, meat and rations raise your maximum stamina, whetstones restore sharpness. Generally you will want to keep all of these as high as you can.

Bonus tip: don't be afraid of asking for help! The MH community tends to be pretty forgiving of new players and many are willing to teach so long as the student is earnest about wanting to improve.

Kuntz

Had a good time on EU Tri with Out of Ammo tonight but god did we get cursed.

Failed 2 times veeeeery close to HR diablos, perma enraged ... this fucker is nasty

Then tried HR los+rath, was toooo easy but then he disconnects, rath is limping, my trap is ready , she is tranked, she limps again (but she's in her resting place already) and I love due to time up because my gunner is too weak.

This is basically the game's way of saying : "FUCK YOU, Please buy the new game !"

That's monster hunting at its best, I had more fun failing on blos than raping the chicken dragons.

I'll be there tomorrow with more luck I hope (and maybe easier monster right from the start, first hunt since ages with HR blos was a baaad idea but fun nonetheless)

Had a good time on EU Tri with Out of Ammo tonight but god did we get cursed.

Failed 2 times veeeeery close to HR diablos, perma enraged ... this fucker is nasty

Then tried HR los+rath, was toooo easy but then he disconnects, rath is limping, my trap is ready , she is tranked, she limps again (but she's in her resting place already) and I love due to time up because my gunner is too weak.

This is basically the game's way of saying : "FUCK YOU, Please buy the new game !"

That's monster hunting at its best, I had more fun failing on blos than raping the chicken dragons.

I'll be there tomorrow with more luck I hope (and maybe easier monster right from the start, first hunt since ages with HR blos was a baaad idea but fun nonetheless)

Yeah really sorry about the disconnect. I actually beat the rathian like a minute later :p I think Tri was trying to tell us that it's time to move on to Ultimate. Fun times though!

I just tried the Hammer in the U demo and I ran out of time, even though I downed Lomb with the SnS, DS, Axe, and lance without running out oftime. I got one KO on him and I found my 'A' attack to be the easiest to pull off and I kept missing with my 'X' attack. Any hammer tips?

Boney

Banned
I just tried the Hammer in the U demo and I ran out of time, even though I downed Lomb with the SnS, DS, Axe, and lance without running out oftime. I got one KO on him and I found my 'A' attack to be the easiest to pull off and I kept missing with my 'X' attack. Any hammer tips?

X X X and after the upswing hold R. If you let go right away you do another attack which will combo into X X X again. Tadaaaa

Also you can press R anytime to charge your hammer for huge damage

Superpound is your friend.

Beats

I think it took me between 5-10 minutes to down it with a Hammer. I didn't bother using the regular attacks most of the time, and just used the charged attack a bunch.

Fistwell

Charge (hold R), run up to his face, stop moving for a second (<-important step!), release charge, segue into x combo, explode faces.

Korezo

Target website says "not sold in stores", is this bs? I'm looking for the 3ds version

I went to target early today and asked for MH wii u, the guy pulls game out from back room I started to get hype, but then he scanned it and said sorry have to wait to tomorrow... They have available in store but very limited.. When I went to back room with the guy they only had like 5 max.

chrono01

I went to target early today and asked for MH wii u, the guy pulls game out from back room I started to get hype, but then he scanned it and said sorry have to wait to tomorrow... They have available in store but very limited.. When I went to back room with the guy they only had like 5 max.
I have a feeling that this game will be limited in a lot of areas [likely enough to cover pre-orders and that's it].

Thankfully, I pre-ordered online and have my copy on the way. :)

Peru

Charge with R (you can move while charging) _stop_ next to the monster and pull off the super pound. If you move while letting go of the charge you'll do a whirlwind attack which can be good in some cases but is generally not as good as the super pound.

(beaten)

Charge with R (you can move while charging) _stop_ next to the monster and pull off the super pound. If you move while letting go of the charge you'll do a whirlwind attack which can be good in some cases but is generally not as good as the super pound.

(beaten)

Thanks everyone! Ya, i kept doing that damn spin attack, which seems fine but not what I needed.

And when you do use the whirlwind attack, don't let it go all the way through (where your hammerhead falls on the ground) but attack after 4 whirls for a powerful golfswing. When you attack even earlier you do a sort of backhand attack.

Raide

Really torn atm. Put 200+ Hours into the Wii version but I am almost tempted to trade in my 360 since I am not really using it and get a Wii-U for MH. Nothing else on the console currently interests me, so I would be buying it to play MH again. Really wondering if there is enough content in there to keep me going again.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Really torn atm. Put 200+ Hours into the Wii version but I am almost tempted to trade in my 360 since I am not really using it and get a Wii-U for MH. Nothing else on the console currently interests me, so I would be buying it to play MH again. Really wondering if there is enough content in there to keep me going again.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2013/03/15/just-how-big-is-monster-hunter-3-ultimate

New from Tri:

from Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Anteka (small)
Bullfango (small)
Azure Rathalos (subspecies)
Silver Rathalos
Pink Rathian (subspecies)
Gold Rathian
Plesioth
Green Plesioth (subspecies)
Black Diablos
Nargacuga

from Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

Gargwa (small)
Slagtoth (small)
Wroggi (small)
Arzuros
Great Wroggi
Lagombi
Volvidon
Nibelsnarf
Duramboros
Zinogre
Crimson Qurupeco (subspecies)
Purple Ludroth (subspecies)
Jade Barroth (subspecies)
Baleful Gigginox (subspecies)
Sand Barioth (subspecies)
Steel Uragaan (subspecies)
Glacial Agnaktor (subspecies)
Green Nargacuga (subspecies)

new to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Brachydios
Rust Duramboros (subspecies)
Stygian Zinogre (subspecies)
Lucent Nargacuga (subspecies)
Ivory Lagiacrus (subspecies)
Abyssal Lagiacrus (subspecies)
Savage Deviljho (subspecies)
Hallowed Jhen Mohran (subspecies)
Goldbeard Ceadeus (subspecies)
... and a brand new final boss!

211 new quests (being 63 from the Village High-rank, 136 from the Port Tanzia G-rank and 12 Arena quests). New total is 339, not event counting the free DLC quests!!!

2042 new pieces of equipment broken down as follows:
- 59 Great Swords, 83 Long Swords, 71 Sword & Shields, 122 Dual Blades, 73 Hammers, 99 Hunting Horns, 78 Lances, 108 Gunlances, 76 Switch Axex, 91 Heavy Bowguns, 96 Light Bowguns, 115 Bows; Total number of weapons is now 1398!
- 1028 new Armor pieces; Total number of amor pieces is now 1663!
Now the total number of equipment is 3061! Can you believe it?

Raide

^

That is pretty damn awesome.

You could always wait until after E3. Also... BAYONETTAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yeah, I am at the point of maybe getting one and seeing how E3 plays out. If the PS4 or 720 showing is good, I will probably be getting one of those at launch. Hardly using my 360 at present since there are really no games I am interested in.

You could always sell the 360, buy a Wii U, and then buy a 720 in the future if you miss anything good on the 360 in the next ~6 months. Assuming the 720 is BC, of course.

Raide

You could always sell the 360, buy a Wii U, and then buy a 720 in the future if you miss anything good on the 360 in the next ~6 months. Assuming the 720 is BC, of course.

That is exactly what I am thinking about. I would not say I was a massive fan of Nintendo games but being able to check out Zelda/Bayonetta/Mario Kart etc should be worth is later on. MH should at least get me to E3. :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That is exactly what I am thinking about. I would not say I was a massive fan of Nintendo games but being able to check out Zelda/Bayonetta/Mario Kart etc should be worth is later on. MH should at least get me to E3. :D

eShop has some pretty quality cheap games on it as well. Nano Assault, Mighty Switch Force, etc. You should be able to find some launch games for much less now (I've seen ZombiU for $29.99 for instance) if any of those look remotely interesting.

If you're in Canada, Costco has the Deluxe Set for $309.99 and basic for $249.99. Or SDM 20x points day (giving you around $80 in points to redeem) provide a good value.

Jarsonot

So in order for this to work in my case, both wii u's would need to have a wired connection and then each of the 3ds' would go through each of the wii u's?

Two Wii Us could play "locally" by playing online together in the same room, I suppose.

3DS and Wii U can play locally, but not 2 Wii Us.

AND you can't play a Wii U and 3DS together online - just locally.

So no realistic way of playing 2 Wii U and 2 3DS together...

Though there is a way, if you're super dedicated. You'll need 4 Wii Us, 2 LAN adapters, and 2 3DSs. Tunnel the 3DSs through the Wii Us with LAN adaptors and join the online game with the other two Wii Us. Note - you only need 4 copies of the game, as the tunneled Wii Us do not need a copy. They will need a tunneling app, which as far as I know isn't available.

So yeah. Basically local play, or online with 1 of the 3DSs and tunneling app.

Raide

eShop has some pretty quality cheap games on it as well. Nano Assault, Mighty Switch Force, etc. You should be able to find some launch games for much less now (I've seen ZombiU for $29.99 for instance) if any of those look remotely interesting.

If you're in Canada, Costco has the Deluxe Set for $309.99 and basic for $249.99. Or SDM 20x points day (giving you around $80 in points to redeem) provide a good value.

In the UK unfortunately. I have not really shopped around yet, since it only really popped into my head today. :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So, via the review thread, someone confirmed the transfer tool copies over all three slots. So any sort of plan we had to play our Wii U version at home (with a 3DS connected), but then take both our 3DS versions out during the day seems like a poor idea now.

Eusis

So, via the review thread, someone confirmed the transfer tool copies over all three slots. So any sort of plan we had to play our Wii U version at home (with a 3DS connected), but then take both our 3DS versions out during the day seems like a poor idea now.
Well, how does MH3U handle saves on Wii U? If they keep them set to each unique account I'd THINK it could still work. If they blew that off and just have one universal save for the system across accounts like Mario though then yeah, that won't go well.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Well, how does MH3U handle saves on Wii U? If they keep them set to each unique account I'd THINK it could still work. If they blew that off and just have one universal save for the system across accounts like Mario though then yeah, that won't go well.

Ah, that's right. I guess someone will either let me know, or I'll find out tomorrow.

edit: GameFAQs members are saying three unique slots per user, so that will work wonderfully.

6D9cdCq.png

Yasadril

Had to call capcom to see if my order wasn't delayed because of it being out of stock. Few hours later, checked my email and found out my order is now shipped but most likely won't get it on release :/

Jarsonot

So uh, what're the odds NOA fucks us and doesn't bring the tunneling app over?

I'd think slim, but no announcement yet on the eve of launch is worrisome, and then you throw in the absence of the circle pad pro...

What gives, ya know?

I want portability AND online, dammit! And I don't want to buy the game twice! =)

15.5 hours...
+download time, +install time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom