• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never played Monster Hunter before. Picking it up tomorrow. Is the combat at all similar to the Demon's Souls series? It seems like it might compare in that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is all about learning when you are open to being attacked and how to avoid taking damage (at least for my play style it was). i loved those games and am hoping that MH has some of those elements in its combat (vs. spaz style combat of games like Skyrim).

Never played Monster Hunter before. Picking it up tomorrow. Is the combat at all similar to the Demon's Souls series? It seems like it might compare in that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is all about learning when you are open to being attacked and how to avoid taking damage (at least for my play style it was). i loved those games and am hoping that MH has some of those elements in its combat (vs. spaz style combat of games like Skyrim).
Combat as in the way you described it? Yes. It's much deeper than the Souls games since there are a lot more factors you have to consider, like hitzones, sharpness, and so on. Every weapon type has their own weight and feel, and all moves are available from the start.

If you like the Souls games for the adventure aspect you'll be very disappointed though.

In what sense will I be disappointed? I liked Dark Souls for both the combat and the exploring...
There really isn't much to the series when it comes to exploring. You won't find a rare piece of item or equipment when you try to look for secret areas. You can just think of MH as a boss rush game that plops you into an arena composed of ~8-12 zones.

Wanny

I'm somewhat jealous of Wii U owners right now, but it's still not making me go buy a Wii U. Capcom should not restrict themselves on Nintendo platforms only...

Oh well, enjoy.

A little bit. It is more about hit and run tactics than the souls games. You need to learn patterns, line of attacks, how to dodge, things like that. Souls games are more offensive.

Eusis

In what sense will I be disappointed? I liked Dark Souls for both the combat and the exploring...
Both I'd say. There's worse games for exploring than Monster Hunter, but once you go over each area there's really not much else to see in that regard, and the combat... you know, it's tired but I actually think I'd like a bit of the Dark Souls combat feel taken into Monster Hunter, in some ways it DOES feel like a more refined version, albeit with less moves and lock on, if you combined the best of Dark Souls as applicable to Monster Hunter (IE no lock on) you might really push it forward.

Then again Dark Souls is all about more human-esque foes rather than facing animals, namely giant ones, so it may not really do much for Monster Hunter.

ultron87

So like a lot of folks this will be my first real foray into MH. After trying most of the demo weapons I think I am currently between Hammer and Greatsword. Both seem fun and satisfying to hit with. The running charge on the hammer did lend a nice cadence to the fighting. But the sword looks cooler. And is a sword. Hmm.

Sanic

The hype for this is crazy.

I'm going to have to give the demo another go. I can't afford this, LCU, AND Luigi's Mansion. Something has to be let go :(.

kinggroin

Banned
Buying this tomorrow afternoon at Best Buy. Buying Lego City and Need for Speed at Target.

Just need to figure out one free game to get.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot I haven't put myself on that spreadsheet yet, on there now, so if anyone wants to add me, go ahead.

Sanic

Added my name to the spreadsheet. Not sure if i'll get the game, but add me regardless, as I need more friends :)

L Thammy

Well, guess what came in the mail!
Whoever I streetpassed today that said "preorder mh3u": gotcha covered buddy.

Can we talk skills? I was looking over the armours and it seems like all the low ranks have are Attack Up. Since I can't get Crit Draw, what else is good for GS? What about HH or DS?

Bento

Hrrm, been playing the demo some more and thought about what weapon to use in retail version and I'm still not entirely sure. Back in Tri I would use the SA and for most of 3rd I'd use the LS (with some Lance mixed in) but I'm this time considering going S&S. Unlike Tri I'll be playing solo on my 3DS and I'm curious if a S&S user would work well solo? The status ailments seem interesting and would offer something new to this playthrough since I've honestly rarely dabbled in that previously but I'm not sure if it's more of a multiplayer support thing that would be wasted playing alone?

Any input would be appreciated :p

Also while on the topic of stuff I've never quite gotten around to, barrelbombs, how are you actually supposed to use them? Only against trapped targets or do some of you use them against moving targets? Seems like they only trigger when attacked so should I bring throwing knives and such to trigger them without taking damage?

Spent hundred of hours playing Monster Hunter and yet stuff like this I still feel completely noob about :p

L Thammy

Any weapon should be viable for solo. SnS is more based on element or status damage, so keep a lot of them with different elements.
Remember, if the armour is weak to an element, the monster probably is too.

For barrel bombs, the absolute best way is to put the monster to sleep first. Then you lay the large bombs and set them off with the small one. A sleeping monster takes triple damage.
Bounce bombs shoot upward (+ shoots a little bit forward) so you should use them under a big monster.

gryz

Banned
so the target website says "not sold in stores", is that just because the game isn't released yet? kinda was hoping to pick up the wii u and 3ds versions tomorrow for the B2G1

Bento

Any weapon should be viable for solo. SnS is more based on element or status damage, so keep a lot of them with different elements.
Remember, if the armour is weak to an element, the monster probably is too.

For barrel bombs, the absolute best way is to put the monster to sleep first. Then you lay the large bombs and set them off with the small one. A sleeping monster takes triple damage.
Bounce bombs shoot upward (+ shoots a little bit forward) so you should use them under a big monster.
Thanks for the reply. Could you use a S&S with sleep status effect instead of sleep bombs? I wouldn't mind carrying around sleep bombs since what you described sounded really useful but I guess I'm curious just how effective the status debilitating effects on weapons are (say I have the Gigginox armor set with improved status effect activated) or if I should stick to something like poison and elemental stuff just for the damage.

DaBoss

so the target website says "not sold in stores", is that just because the game isn't released yet? kinda was hoping to pick up the wii u and 3ds versions tomorrow for the B2G1

I think I remember reading that people have seen MH3U on shelves by aren't selling them today, so you should be good for tomorrow.

Player2

Neo Member
I'm really excited for this game on both Wii U and 3DS.

Those of you on the fence about buying a Wii U or not I would strongly suggest doing so. Online play with others is pretty essential to these games.

If you know enough people to local co-op on the 3DS more power to you, but online with the Wii U is going to be sick!

Nicktals

Banned
Thanks for the reply. Could you use a S&S with sleep status effect instead of sleep bombs? I wouldn't mind carrying around sleep bombs since what you described sounded really useful but I guess I'm curious just how effective the status debilitating effects on weapons are (say I have the Gigginox armor set with status effect + stuff activated) or if I should stick to something like poison and elemental stuff just for the damage.

I think you're confused. To my knowledge, there are no sleep bombs. The way you get a monster to sleep is by attacking with a weapon with a sleep element, laying drugged meat, or by using sleep shots with a ranged weapon. After the monster falls alseep, the next attack does triple damage (so laying a bunch of large bomb+ will do very well).

EDIT: But yeah, a sleep SnS will probably get a you a few sleeps, depending on your proficiency and the monster. Remember, the amount it takes to make them sleep (or any other status effect, like paralyze or poison), goes up each time you inflict it. So for most monsters you won't get more than 3 sleeps, I believe...If that, if you're on your own. Someone who used a sleep SnS more than I can probably be a bit more specific though =)

L Thammy

Thanks for the reply. Could you use a S&S with sleep status effect instead of sleep bombs? I wouldn't mind carrying around sleep bombs since what you described sounded really useful but I guess I'm curious just how effective the status debilitating effects on weapons are (say I have the Gigginox armor set with improved status effect activated) or if I should stick to something like poison and elemental stuff just for the damage.

I don't remember there being sleep bombs... I assumed you'd be using a sleep SnS. I suppose you could also craft sleep knives, but I don't think it's worth the time.

Unrelated comment: Duramboros armour looks like something out of Tekkaman Blade. I want it.

Orayn

I think you're confused. To my knowledge, there are no sleep bombs. The way you get a monster to sleep is by attacking with a weapon with a sleep element, laying drugged meat, or by using sleep shots with a ranged weapon. After the monster falls alseep, the next attack does triple damage (so laying a bunch of large bomb+ will do very well).

I think Bento meant tranq bombs for trapping a monster, and like you explained, sleep is a different status effect from tranq.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom