• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, on the eve of release I'm sitting here debating buying a Wii U tomorrow. I've never played MH and I have a 3DS.

Am I crazy?

MH, even with its release record, seems like a game that would be waaay better on console. If I'm looking at intense 50 minute fights it's kinda tough to image doing that on the 3DS. Also, just being a big 3D action game makes it feel very compressed on the 3DS, like you genuinely won't have as good of an experience. Beyond that, online just seems like a pretty big deal for MH, like something that really expands the game once you're into the swing of things.

Eusis

How long will this game take to download?
Should've had a midnight launch.

(Think it took like 3 hours for Sonic All Stars Racing and that was roughly the same size.)

EDIT: And seriously, it should have been and this should be standard policy for all Wii U retail games even if it isn't for 3DS. 3DS is going to usually top out at 4 GB at least for the time being, most being way smaller, and I THINK it even downloads faster on there so you could boot up, start the download, and go away and do whatever while it downloads, not to mention it's portable so as long as wi-fi's there and not horribly constrained you could get it then. Wii U's NOT portable, and has FAR larger games just on average, so it'd kind of bullshit.

Ken

So, on the eve of release I'm sitting here debating buying a Wii U tomorrow. I've never played MH and I have a 3DS.

Am I crazy?

MH, even with its release record, seems like a game that would be waaay better on console. If I'm looking at intense 50 minute fights it's kinda tough to image doing that on the 3DS. Also, just being a big 3D action game makes it feel very compressed on the 3DS, like you genuinely won't have as good of an experience. Beyond that, online just seems like a pretty big deal for MH, like something that really expands the game once you're into the swing of things.

I bought a Wii for Tri. I'm going out in a bit to buy a Wii U for Ultimate...so you're not alone!

Abandond

Am I crazy?

Have you tried the demo? I am also new to the series but I'd give every class a try and go from there. The game doesn't feel like a poor experience on the 3ds at all, imo. Also, MH4 is 3ds only, something to keep in mind.

Am I crazy?

Buy a Wii U just so I can say its a system seller again lol

I'm gonna head to my best buy this midnight and hopefully I can pick myself up a 3DS copy. I wasn't intending to get one in the first place, but I think it could be handy to have both.

Orayn

Am I crazy?

Not in the slightest, MH is about as open-ended and rich in replay value as games come. It's exactly the kind of game that should sell you on a system if you have the stomach for it.

MH, even with its release record, seems like a game that would be waaay better on console. If I'm looking at intense 50 minute fights it's kinda tough to image doing that on the 3DS. Also, just being a big 3D action game makes it feel very compressed on the 3DS, like you genuinely won't have as good of an experience.

Most hunts are 15-20, with 30+ being reserved for the toughest bosses or your first time on any particular hunt. While it's true that MH is a console experience in a portable package, it's transitioned better than most series, almost to the point where I'd compare it to Mario Kart.

Beyond that, online just seems like a pretty big deal for MH, like something that really expands the game once you're into the swing of things.

Agreed. Monster Hunter took off when the PSP installments were riotously successful in Japan, but that was still because of (local) multiplayer. Just about anywhere else, the series really needs online to survive.

Mupod

got my 3DS copy. Confirmed I'm table 10 master race.

now to actually play the goddamn game.

At least cycling the kelbi horn quest isn't a waste of time - you get buttloads of honey. Also I love that you get a free gathering set right off the bat, should ease SOME of the complaints about Tri's intro quests.

man I want to upgrade my bagpipes but I don't even remember what drops screamers. To think I'm running to gamefaqs already.

I bought a Wii for Tri. I'm going out in a bit to buy a Wii U for Ultimate...so you're not alone!

Haha, but had you played the series prior to that?

Have you tried the demo? I am also new to the series but I'd give every class a try and go from there. The game doesn't feel like a poor experience on the 3ds at all, imo. Also, MH4 is 3ds only, something to keep in mind.

I did play the demo. That's really what made me more than curious in the series, though I've had a number of friends tell me I'd really like it in the past. Playing it on the 3DS is what made me think that it's a game that seems to belong on a console. It's very skill based, and I'm not sure any amount of practice on a 3DS would get me as far as a controller.

I know MH4 is a 3DS game, though I wonder if it'll stay that way considering this? Well, then again, sales for MH3U for the Wii U might convince Capcom to never port it, haha. :-/

Buy a Wii U just so I can say its a system seller again lol

Hahaha, I'll post either way.

denshuu

Miiverse Hype Train.

g6oXhed.jpg

TBIQJsJ.jpg

R3xVjGk.jpg

cvWK7UC.jpg

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
So, just to be clear, the trick to force a charm table, that still works, right?

Considering how lately, any game I've been playing with a random component, I've been getting screwed constantly *cough* Puzzle & Dragons *cough*, I'm not leaving it up to luck for Monster Hunter this time around.

Ken

Haha, but had you played the series prior to that?

Before Tri, no. I did buy Tri at release and played it on my roommate's Wii out of curiosity. After spending about 10 hours into it and discovering I couldn't move my save normally (and that I really liked the game), I just bought a Wii.

Not in the slightest, MH is about as open-ended and rich in replay value as games come. It's exactly the kind of game that should sell you on a system if you have the stomach for it.

Most hunts are 15-20, with 30+ being reserved for the toughest bosses or your first time on any particular hunt. While it's true that MH is a console experience in a portable package, it's transitioned better than most series, almost to the point where I'd compare it to Mario Kart.

Agreed. Monster Hunter took off when the PSP installments were riotously successful in Japan, but that was still because of (local) multiplayer. Just about anywhere else, the series really needs online to survive.

The replay value and challenge are really big factors in me considering a console purchase. In the last few months I played Demon's and Dark Souls and loved them. Since then it has been tough to find another game to get interested in. I started Dishonored after and dropped it after a couple of hours. Not because it's bad(it seems pretty good) but because I felt like I was just going to drift through the game. Since then I played MGR:R and while it was fun and there's skilled play to be had, it's not particularly necessary, and that's what I want(also, I thought MGR didn't have the polish of other P games).

Thanks for the MK analogy. Huge fan so that provides some clarity. What seems like it would be a big difference(from what I've seen) is the scale. MH is about giant monsters, and the thought of seeing them on my HDTV is very appealing compared to a 3DS(standard).

Before Tri, no. I did buy Tri at release and played it on my roommate's Wii out of curiosity. After spending about 10 hours into it and discovering I couldn't move my save normally (and that I really liked the game), I just bought a Wii.

Ah, k. Gotcha.

Made some space on my friends list! Anyone who wants to add me please do. I've also added my ID to the spread sheet. NNID is TheBaldEmperor. I'll be on quite a bit!

So, just to be clear, the trick to force a charm table, that still works, right?

Considering how lately, any game I've been playing with a random component, I've been getting screwed constantly *cough* Puzzle & Dragons *cough*, I'm not leaving it up to luck for Monster Hunter this time around.
Unless people have delved further into RNG abuse in MH, all you're doing with the charm tables is give yourself a chance at getting something good. There are still hundreds of thousands of charms on the non-cursed tables and only a handful of those are really good. Most charms are still garbage even on the "good" tables. You'll still need luck, in that sense.

So uh, what're the odds NOA fucks us and doesn't bring the tunneling app over?

I'd think slim, but no announcement yet on the eve of launch is worrisome, and then you throw in the absence of the circle pad pro...

What gives, ya know?

I want portability AND online, dammit! And I don't want to buy the game twice! =)

15.5 hours...
+download time, +install time

It wouldn't be NOA's fault, it'd be Capcom. And they will probably definitely give it to us as promised. It's like asking what the chance is of us not getting the day one voice chat patch.

Gravijah

Wii U version shipped from Gamefly today. My coupons stack in a week which means I can bring the keep it price down to 34.99 before tax.

Proven

Unless people have delved further into RNG abuse in MH, all you're doing with the charm tables is give yourself a chance at getting something good. There are still hundreds of thousands of charms on the non-cursed tables and only a handful of those are really good. Most charms are still garbage even on the "good" tables. You'll still need luck, in that sense.

Exactly. My only thoughts right now are concerning rustshards.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, I'm well aware of all of that. I'm well aware that even with a good table, not going to be any immediate appreciable difference.

I'm also well aware that my current "luck" has set me back $30, and I've drawn absolutely crap from the stupid machine in Puzzle&Dragons. Being slightly superstitious, I am definitely not in the mood for a "bad" roll, such as finding out I end up w/ a charm table in MH that does not have Rust Shards.

I am not in the mood, at all. If I can completely eliminate any chances of getting those tables, then so be it, I'm taking those chances. I could obviously still play normally, wait till I get enough shards, check the tables to see what I'm on, and hope I didn't get the bad tables, but screw that. With my luck right now, I am GUARANTEED to keep getting a bad table for several hours. Hell, with my luck right now, I'm also guaranteed to keep getting carves off monsters I DON'T NEED, for several hours at a time. So with that being said, I'm forcing a damn charm table.

EDIT: So yes, ranting about "bad luck" in videogames. Woohoo!

No one's answered my question though... *cries*

Teknoman

Guess i'll solo some stuff tonight and try to join in online hunts tomorrow evening.

Also too many good games right before Summer is about to start.

ravien56

For multiplayer, does ultimate use the same ranking system as tri? Grinding monsters till a specific hunter rank level then you can proceed to the next batch of quests? I wasn't a big fan of that, would much prefer the way MHFU did it.

-Horizon-

Played through the 3DS demo recently, took me a while to get the hang of the controls. It seemed like Tri on the Wii just clicked faster for me. Now thinking about getting the 3DS one since I don't have a Wii U.

Miiverse Hype Train.

g6oXhed.jpg

TBIQJsJ.jpg

R3xVjGk.jpg

cvWK7UC.jpg

All I can say is wow, those are amazing.

Probably won't hop online until this weekend. Gotta go through the village quests first. I at least need the Braccy, Zinogre, Narga and Azure Los set before hopping online.

Pineconn

Tried long sword in demo today and it seemed 20 minutes just flew by. Of course, time ran out before a kill. I was only able to come up with one combo: it may have been x,y,x or y,x,y. Did i miss a charge attack combo somewhere. Was wailing on the poor bastard but he never went down nor did i ever faint (easy mode monster).

Did you use the R attack? Once your Spirit Gauge fills (the meter near the sharpness indicator), spam R and land your Spirit Finisher or whatever it's called (really long-reaching, flashy attack at the end of the R combo). If it hits, your weapon will become more powerful (the Spirit Gauge goes from no color to white to yellow to red). Land more finishing blows to progress through the colors or to refresh the red. They'll regress if you don't land finishers in time.

I don't use LS that much, heh.

-Horizon-

Tried long sword in demo today and it seemed 20 minutes just flew by. Of course, time ran out before a kill. I was only able to come up with one combo: it may have been x,y,x or y,x,y. Did i miss a charge attack combo somewhere. Was wailing on the poor bastard but he never went down nor did i ever faint (easy mode monster).

I used the long sword in the demo, did you use the Spirit Combo or whatever it was called when you filled that small gauge in the screen?

Edit: beaten

Build up the spirit meter on the top left. Once it is at full, use the R button combo to make 5 slashes. The last one is a long one that pushes you forward. If that last strike connects, your sword will now glow a different color depending on the level of the charge. In this state, you do more damage with regular hits. Max level is a red glow. The charge will start depleting very quickly though and to sustain it you have to keep hitting, which can be hard to do when a monster is in rage mode and running all over the area.

Becareful with this in multiplayer though as the wide reach of the LS means the R button combo will likely trip someone, interrupting their flow of attack or retreat.

I can pick up my 3DS copy in an hour. I have an XL.

To CPP or not? It costs $30. :( I personally really liked clawing in the PSP version and had no problem (not clawing) in the demo, but I don't know if I'll like the difference/improvement.

There's also the issue that... well I don't know how much it'll be supported. I have KH3D and RE:R too.

Proven

Amazon finally sent me an email. They said they shipped it 3 and a half hours ago. Should I believe them, or Gamestop hunting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom