• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockx4

Wow, I read that character textures were low resolution but I wasn't completely prepared lol. Looks bad. Still in character creation. Wii U version.

Filth

has anyone figured out how to send your save data to your 3ds? i cant find this data sharing program apparently

Teknoman

Wow, I read that character textures were low resolution but I wasn't completely prepared lol. Looks bad. Still in character creation. Wii U version.

Yeah the character models are low detail, but the armor/weapons and enemies are just fine.

has anyone figured out how to send your save data to your 3ds? i cant find this data sharing program apparently

Should be on the eshop, but probably just not up yet.

rockx4

Yeah the character models are low detail, but the armor/weapons and enemies are just fine.

The character detail is only offensive in character creation where you zoom in close, during gameplay it doesn't bother me much. The image is clear and sharp, which is good enough for me.

Schwabe

Yesterday in the evening i saw a huge increase in numbers online. from 8 people on sunday, it went up to more than 20! i hope to see a lot of you tonight :) (although i am farming rathian+ offline ... going to get that Armor... just need a plate and a ruby -.- )

mmmh, need a new Avatar ...

I didn't get table 10 on my 3ds save, since there's still no transfer tool available I'm starting a new game on the wiiu. Hopefully I'll be lucky to see a circle on t10 when I get to check my fish loot later.

deviljho

Hopefully going to download when it goes up on the eShop. But we're doing some renovations, so I won't have the thing hooked up to the TV to play for a little bit. See you guys out in the wild, soon!

And yes, this goes with the Guile theme, too:

psgEd4Y.gif

Teknoman

Before starting, be sure to download the extra stuff from the DLC menu. You get 5000 resource points + a Bullfango arena quest :)

Extra stuff? I didnt see anything...

Anyway, we should pick an "official" room so people know where to look for GAF games.

EDIT: Guess it just went up lol.

Fistwell

God damn the first Arzuros you fight goes down fast. Almost killed it by accident.

Peco was surprisingly resilient (as in, lived more than 5 minutes) but that was my first time fighting it with HH. And I'm still using leather.

GOT IT YOU GUYS... I'm ready to start my hunting

Let's do this!

Ultimate get.

Just picked up my copy.

Yay, it's finally here!

AJm.gif

Dat acting, Oscar Worthy.
dat well-done steak plushy

huge increase in numbers online. from 8 people on sunday, it went up to more than 20!
Woo, 20 million sales! ;D

What? That's a lot of free resource points! Way too much in fact.
That's right, and I think you shouldn't download download them.
can I has yours?

Hopefully going to download when it goes up on the eShop. But we're doing some renovations, so I won't have the thing hooked up to the TV to play for a little bit. See you guys out in the wild, soon!

And yes, this goes with the Guile theme, too:

psgEd4Y.gif
Looks like it goes with groose's theme too lol.

Before starting, be sure to download the extra stuff from the DLC menu. You get 5000 resource points + a Bullfango arena quest :)
Thanks. I actually had to turn my phone into a hotspot just to download this.

edit: Actually nah the free resource points are not up yet. Titles and the bullfango quest are downloadable now though.

Tried playing with the great sword last night, I think it gave me a better idea of the whole risk/reward thing after not really feeling the double blades, sword and shield etc. thinking of preordering for Friday now!

Fistwell

brb, gonna meet my hip friends in the park for some crazy monster hunting!
"That blonde huntress, she's just the right combination of sultry and alluring. Now if I could just unlock the 5* urgent, she might agree to come play with my Wii U."

a) Anyone any thought on the feel of the Wii-U controller for Tri-U? Looks a touch big, so I am wondering if it is ok.

b) Is this charm thing really a big issue? I am sure I will put another 100+ hours into this, just to see the new content but it will be annoying if I get penalized just for being in the wrong charm group.
a) It's no good imo. Too much space between right stick and buttons for me. My fingers fumble whenever they have to make the transition from one to the other. I'll stick with the Wii CCP personally.

b) I really wanna say no, but maybe yea kinda. Would hate to end up locked out of equipment I might want. I'll probably do the stopwatch trick. Not gonna bother rerolling if I mess it up though.

Raide

Ok, I have a few questions before I go for it.

I have an old Wii and a few remotes, so do I need the Wii-U Premium kit really? I heard you can use USB HDD's, so is that a better alternative in the long run?

Anyone any thought on the feel of the Wii-U controller for Tri-U? Looks a touch big, so I am wondering if it is ok.

Is this charm thing really a big issue? I am sure I will put another 100+ hours into this, just to see the new content but it will be annoying if I get penalized just for being in the wrong charm group.

Cheers all!

Is this charm thing really a big issue? I am sure I will put another 100+ hours into this, just to see the new content but it will be annoying if I get penalized just for being in the wrong charm group.

Cheers all!
I'd say yes. It doesn't matter so much which charm table you get except in endgame, UNLESS you end up on one of the cursed tables, which you have a 1/3 chance of doing. Cursed tables only have 600 charms (they're like bonus accessories for raising your armor stats) while the others have tens of thousands.
---
That said, I pretty much only use great sword, and I'm not really familiar with endgame skill sets (never made it that far!), and I read that tables 4 and 6 are good for GS. Should I go for one of those, instead of 10?

Raide

I'd say yes. It doesn't matter so much which charm table you get except in endgame, UNLESS you end up on one of the cursed tables, which you have a 1/3 chance of doing. Cursed tables only have 600 charms (they're like bonus accessories for raising your armor stats) while the others have tens of thousands.
---
That said, I pretty much only use great sword, and I'm not really familiar with endgame skill sets (never made it that far!), and I read that tables 4 and 6 are good for GS. Should I go for one of those, instead of 10?

Hrmm...that does sound slightly annoying. Will have to look more into that then.

Fistwell

As fake as it is and as much shit as I wanna give them... I actually probably do make faces like that when I play. I scream. A lot. I'm a screamer ("SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!," "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!," "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!," "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!").

deviljho

I have an old Wii and a few remotes, so do I need the Wii-U Premium kit really? I heard you can use USB HDD's, so is that a better alternative in the long run?

Anyone any thought on the feel of the Wii-U controller for Tri-U? Looks a touch big, so I am wondering if it is ok.

I'd get the deluxe for the charging cradle and stand personally. Also, if you intend to buy some or all games digitally, having a small, portable 500 GB hard drive is not with a Y-cable isn't a bad idea. Plus, you'll also get the 10% digital promotion of eshop downloads.

As far as the controller, you can use the gamepad if you want. But you can also use your old Classic Controller Pro with a Wiimote. You can even use the Wii U Pro Controller if you want (although some don't like it for this game). You'll find what works best, or you might use a combination. I believe you can use the CCP and still use the gamepad on the stand as a map, whic his cool.

charms aren't a big issue unless you want to go farming for specific charms and sink hundreds of hours into that. two tables, however, lack rustshards which will prevent you from making a few pieces of equipment. with several hours, you can determine if your new game has put you on one of these "cursed tables" using the fishing method. that's what i'll be doing, i think.

Chuckpebble

I know it's supposed to be on the eShop at noon my time, but I decided to check it this morning just for the hell of it. Got trolled hard by "One of the titles on your wish list has become available" message. I'm guessing that just triggers due to the dates matching.

Septimius

Can someone fill me in on the Wii U Pro controller for this game? Should I play with my Wii Pro controller, or is this a good excuse to get a Wii U Pro controller?

Also, umh, the charm business sounds pretty bad. Any hope for them updating this?

Raide

I'd get the deluxe for the charging cradle and stand personally. Also, if you intend to buy some or all games digitally, having a small, portable 500 GB hard drive is not with a Y-cable isn't a bad idea. Plus, you'll also get the 10% digital promotion of eshop downloads.

As far as the controller, you can use the gamepad if you want. But you can also use your old Classic Controller Pro with a Wiimote. You can even use the Wii U Pro Controller if you want (although some don't like it for this game). You'll find what works best, or you might use a combination. I believe you can use the CCP and still use the gamepad on the stand as a map, whic his cool.

charms aren't a big issue unless you want to go farming for specific charms and sink hundreds of hours into that. two tables, however, lack rustshards which will prevent you from making a few pieces of equipment. with several hours, you can determine if your new game has put you on one of these "cursed tables" using the fishing method. that's what i'll be doing, i think.

Who thank you Hungry and Angry Beast.

I have a spare 500gb HDD, so I will probably end up using that. Not sure how much I will actually download unless they start doing Wii games or something.

I did like the CCP but I will just try out the Wii-U controller and see how I get on.

As for the charms, I will have to do the checks and see what I get. Will be annoying to sink 40+ hours in and then find out just because I did not check early.

Cheers!

Can someone fill me in on the Wii U Pro controller for this game? Should I play with my Wii Pro controller, or is this a good excuse to get a Wii U Pro controller?

I personally like using the Pro Controller over the Classic Controller Pro. I just think it's more comfortable and I like having the left stick above the d-pad for 3D games.

I think the GamePad is going to be the way to go when playing online, since it has a keyboard and the headset jack on it. Whether or not if it's going to be the best controller for offline play will depend on how much you like having the touchscreen shortcuts and how comfortable you think it is, I guess.

Also, umh, the charm business sounds pretty bad. Any hope for them updating this?
Very doubtful. Apparently they've acknowledged that the problem exists, but they don't have any plans to fix it. They haven't fixed the Japanese version, either. I'm thinking they'd either have to change where the tables are stored in memory, or re-randomize the table you're on every time you load the game, neither of which would be particularly difficult, but they might cause more problems than they fix, and since 4 comes out in Japan soon, and MH has never done particularly well in the west...

You're better off investing in a stopwatch. =< I think I've seen some Monster hunter - themed kitchen timers before... They play the BBQ song.

Pineconn

I'm guessing, as they barely show any gameplay, that the US trailer is aimed at people who already know the series.

It's definitely aimed at people with a black male, Asian male, and white female friend who all chill in their local park. We all hip, yo (swag, yolo, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom