• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you're buying a system for the game go for the far superior version? Wii U vs 3DS version is hardly a competition :p

Yea exactly. I mean portability and StreetPass functionality, who wouldn't pick the 3DS.

;_;

I have no local people to play the game with, so that's a bummer. But I had a 3DS a while back and was able to get regular street passes when I went out shopping and such. The Wii U Pro Controller remote play seems pretty solid, but I imagine it's tough to play on that? The initial cost of the Wii U + game is also significantly higher, especially when you consider the fact that Sunday starts the 3DS XL sale...

Yall should check the japanese community, many Giggi posts. I have one on my favorites (Yeah), it's a Birdo and a Giggi, you know what to expect.

My Target has 2 of each. I just got my 3DS version.
I called my Target and asked, and I got a chick who said they had the Wii U version but not the 3DS one. Then I read this post and thought "Woah, better reserve that". I called back and got a guy who said they didn't get any in today. I told him the chick actually saw a copy in the display and he told me she was wrong. Ugh, I hate idiots. How hard can it be to get a game on release day in fucking Chicago?

4Scarr

Banned
Ok I am a MH newbie never played any of the games cept the demo which I loved. Where do I start when I get the game? Is there a difference between single player and online? Meaning are they different quests?

Peru

Khezu >>>>>>> Gigginox

Let's see.. Khezu is uglier - there's no debate to be had about that. And his electro shock spamming is the most annoying attack in FU, so.. no, Giggi ROX this battle.

4639756.jpg
I have no local people to play the game with, so that's a bummer. But I had a 3DS a while back and was able to get regular street passes when I went out shopping and such. The Wii U Pro Controller remote play seems pretty solid, but I imagine it's tough to play on that? The initial cost of the Wii U + game is also significantly higher, especially when you consider the fact that Sunday starts the 3DS XL sale...

Don't worry. There are more of us here -- 3DS only players. We can talk about our hunts in this thread and pretend we're in it together. When MH4 rolls around without a WiiU port we'll be the master race.

Ok I am a MH newbie never played any of the games cept the demo which I loved. Where do I start when I get the game? Is there a difference between single player and online? Meaning are they different quests?
You should do a few single-player quests first, to understand the game, how to carve, forge armors, weapons, etc. If jump online right from the start you might feel... lost.

Raide

You start in a small village and progressively push out, fighting monsters as you go. The early stuff is gathering and basic hunting. Then they push you towards your first large monster. Beat that and it pushes you out again. You will have a mix of gathering quests surrounded by hunting.

SP and Online are different and most of the content is for Online, thought you can have your own room and solo the stuff you want.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Single player will take you through a long set of tutorial quest. It will also allow you to unlock the farm and fishing fleet, which are both used for item gathering. You'll basically have the same Quest in both single and multiplayer though. Jump into which ever one you want, although single player will take it slower, if you find online overwhelming at first. The demo didn't teach you about gathering, crafting, carving, or anything of that sort, and single player will walk you through it all.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Online, all monsters are pumped up a bit (in terms of HP, and I think strength), to compensate for the fact that there's more people. You can still do the online quests by yourself, just be aware of the increase. Rewards tend to be better online though.

I don't have the game yet, but if its like previous MH games, the offline and online quests are different.

I would start with offline, do enough quests to build yourself up, then hop online.

Hoodbury

So if you do the charm 10 table trick do you have enough time to properly make your character the way you want or are you rushed to click create character at the right time?

Stuck waiting at work til I can get my copy tonight :(

Jindujun

Neo Member
So if you do the charm 10 table trick do you have enough time to properly make your character the way you want or are you rushed to click create character at the right time?

the thing is, even if time was tight, which it isnt since the charm table is generated at the start menu if i'm correct?
you can always turn the system clock back another 5 min and you'd have an extra 5 min to tweak your character

You have to press New Game at the right time, that's it. You can take your time to create your character.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

I was under the impression that it's determined as soon as you hit New Game, so there shouldn't be any rush at all as long as you hit the New Game at the appropriate time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Just give yourself plenty of time to load up the game after setting the clock. You have a three second window to click NEW GAME, but as long as you've given yourself a little breathing room (and have your timer set correctly) it shouldn't be a problem.

4Scarr

Banned
What's the charm table? Should I be worried about it yet?

Online, all monsters are pumped up a bit (in terms of HP, and I think strength), to compensate for the fact that there's more people. You can still do the online quests by yourself, just be aware of the increase. Rewards tend to be better online though.

I don't have the game yet, but if its like previous MH games, the offline and online quests are different.

I would start with offline, do enough quests to build yourself up, then hop online.

The charm table is a randomized set of charms you are assigned to when you create a character.
If your new, dont worry about it. Its really for serious hunters who want the little stat boosts.
It's not going to prevent you from beating the game. Nor will it make the game harder if you dont have them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The fact that two of the cursed tables prevent rustshards from dropping is the breaking point for me. I could even live with never seeing a three slot charm, but no rustshards? Fuck that. I'm no minmaxer, but you can't fuck with my equipment like that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Don't worry. There are more of us here -- 3DS only players. We can talk about our hunts in this thread and pretend we're in it together. When MH4 rolls around without a WiiU port we'll be the master race.

I'm so tempted to just go 3DS only simply because the Wii U has no other games that interest me. I want to play online since Tri was SO fun online, but I DO think that the portability is more desirable to me than the additional cost. And if I wait 5 days, I can get it at a super killer price, too.

Mondriaan

Let's see.. Khezu is uglier - there's no debate to be had about that. And his electro shock spamming is the most annoying attack in FU, so.. no, Giggi ROX this battle.
Lance and gunlance with the guard+2 armor skill made short work of a khezu. Electro shock spam is still hilarious and less of a pain than ura or gravios doing their explosive gas discharge.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Even though I'm making a big fuss about it, its only because I'm a completionist.

The big issue with the charm tables is that out of the 16 tables, 2 of them dont give Rust Shards, which are used to make certain sets of armor. If you're unlucky enough to land on any of those two tables, there's no way to get the armor at all, other than scrapping your save and starting all over.

Another issue with the tables is that 5(?) of them only have about 200 charms, compared to the 2000 of the other tables. Those are the "cursed" tables. Although if you want to look it at another way, you have a 1 in 200 chance of getting a certain charm on that table, as opposed to the 1 in 2000 chance on the normal tables, so it might be good, in a sense.

Myself, I don't really care about the cursed tables, I only care about the stupid Rust Shards, so that's why I'm making a big fuss over the charm tables.

Sanic

Huh, just realized the Wii U version is $60 instead of $50. Regardless, I think i'll be grabbing this today.

How is the game structured? the demo doesn't give you a good sense of that. Do you pick a hub area and then choose a monster to fight within it?

Even though I'm making a big fuss about it, its only because I'm a completionist.

The big issue with the charm tables is that out of the 16 tables, 2 of them dont give Rust Shards, which are used to make certain sets of armor. If you're unlucky enough to land on any of those two tables, there's no way to get the armor at all, other than scrapping your save and starting all over.

Another issue with the tables is that 5(?) of them only have about 200 charms, compared to the 2000 of the other tables. Those are the "cursed" tables. Although if you want to look it at another way, you have a 1 in 200 chance of getting a certain charm on that table, as opposed to the 1 in 2000 chance on the normal tables, so it might be good, in a sense.

Myself, I don't really care about the cursed tables, I only care about the stupid Rust Shards, so that's why I'm making a big fuss over the charm tables.

I've been avoiding the charms table talk in here because I don't understand it, but damn, that sounds pretty crappy(the rustshard/armor bit). So, when I start the game how do I know which tables would send me down that path and how do I avoid them? I don't care much beyond that(I think...) but having limited armor sounds like a bummer.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, just realized the Wii U version is $60 instead of $50. Regardless, I think i'll be grabbing this today.

How is the game structured? the demo doesn't give you a good sense of that. Do you pick a hub area and then choose a monster to fight within it?

Hub area that acts as a base. Talk to quest giver. Start quest. Roam around quest area, finish quest. Go back to hub. Repeat.

I've been avoiding the charms table talk in here because I don't understand it, but damn, that sounds pretty crappy(the rustshard/armor bit). So, when I start the game how do I know which tables would send me down that path and how do I avoid them? I don't care much beyond that(I think...) but having limited armor sounds like a bummer.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are assuming the fuss is because of the cursed tables, not the Rust Shards, so not a lot of people are understanding what the deal is. I could give a rats ass about the cursed tables. As long as I get the Rust Shards, I'm golden.

Although bear in mind, this is like, late game armor, I believe. So its not like you're going to be gimped for most of the game.

The annoying part about figuring out which table you're on, is that it takes about 1 HOUR. You have to slog through an hour's worth of gameplay, to gather enough charms to cross check with the tables.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Eeeh, this month I'll pick up Ninokuni and Luigi, no MH for me (especially since I have just a 3DS, no Wii U):( So envy of each and everyone of you!

P.S. Have there been seriously midnight launches speficically for MH at some Gamestops or were there just for GOW:Judgement, with possibility of picking up MH3U too?

Mileena

Banned
Eeeh, this month I'll pick up Ninokuni and Luigi, no MH for me (especially since I have just a 3DS, no Wii U):( So envy of each and everyone of you!

P.S. Have there been seriously midnight launches speficically for MH at some Gamestops or were there just for GOW:Judgement, with possibility of picking up MH3U too?
How do you of all people NOT own a Wii U? :p

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Sorry, a bit of a thread derail-

I need to free up space on my SD card for this game. I'm going to erase Paper Mario from the card, but I want to somehow keep it's save file.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that I can back up save games by copying them to my PC. I plugged the SD card into my PC, but I just see a bunch of directories named "1000344" and similar.

How do I actually copy my Paper Mario save to my PC?

(I did a bit of googling, but I couldn't find a straight answer)

I dont think there were any. Although I did go to a GoW launch event to pick up my copy and there was another person there who did the same.

1337Sauce

Debating whether or not I'm going to grab both versions. I was really leaning towards both so that I could continue my save file while I take the bus to Uni, but I was just wondering how seamless the transfer was between the two versions? Does anybody know yet?

Also, if I grab the 3DS one, do you guys think I should grab a circle pad pro as well? I played the demo using the standard controls, and while I didn't like it too much, I honestly didn't really play it long enough to give it a fair chance. While I'm sure it's fine, am I better off grabing a CPP as well?

Mupod

Lance and gunlance with the guard+2 armor skill made short work of a khezu. Electro shock spam is still hilarious and less of a pain than ura or gravios doing their explosive gas discharge.

My problem with khezu isn't the blanka shock, which he does use MUCH MUCH more frequently than gravios or uragaan use their gas. It's the long range electric blast. For non-guarding weapons you need to actually dodge them completely, which can be REALLY hard at g-rank when he gets insanely fast splitting lightning. And if it hits you, you're done - paralyze into his fat ass jumping on you. Other monsters' projectiles can be avoided with the superman dive...but guess what, Khezu can't 'see' you so you don't have access to it.

Peru

Debating whether or not I'm going to grab both versions. I was really leaning towards both so that I could continue my save file while I take the bus to Uni, but I was just wondering how seamless the transfer was between the two versions? Does anybody know yet?

Also, if I grab the 3DS one, do you guys think I should grab a circle pad pro as well? I played the demo using the standard controls, and while I didn't like it too much, I honestly didn't really play it long enough to give it a fair chance. While I'm sure it's fine, am I better off grabing a CPP as well?

Transfer should be painless.

CPP isn't really necessary I think. From my experience with the demo it could make roaming around a tad more comfortable, but in fights I don't see it, because the target cam does what you want - keeps the monster in sight, even underwater. Maybe when you have multi-monster fights (even though you can change focus on the touch screen) it could be of help.

Having said that I did buy it because why not?

blackflag

Can't wait to fight uragaan. That was always my favorite tri fight for some reason. I always loved the mini uragaan fights as well.

P.s. no I don't know how to spell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom