• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.ashx

https://apps.facebook.com/bradygames/exclusives/View/8098
http://www.bradygames.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0744014913
BradyGames have put some samples online of their guide.
Slightly dissapointed they didn't do an ePub version =/, more dissapointed that they'll be no physical version.

meppi

I hope i'll find a copy today (France) :(

Well I ordered my Wii U copy from Zavvi against my own better judgement, due to getting a very good discount for once. €42.
So I will probably be able to play the game by the end of April...
Will be grabbing the 3DS version from the eshop though, so it's not all bad. ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I still cannot decide between buying a WiiU or a 3DS XL for this game. :/ The online component is a big bummer for me, but with MH4 being exclusive and the WiiU lacking too many other games I care about, I'm not sure what to do. Anyone in a similar boat with thoughts?

daaaammmm, that was awkward bad! why not just use the euro trailer? just game no bad actors.

brb, gonna meet my hip friends in the park for some crazy monster hunting!
So it is NA! How the fuck is that guy using a silver 3DSXL? We dont have that here.
I still cannot decide between buying a WiiU or a 3DS XL for this game. :/ The online component is a big bummer for me, but with MH4 being exclusive and the WiiU lacking too many other games I care about, I'm not sure what to do. Anyone in a similar boat with thoughts?
Buy a Wii U just so I can say its a system seller.

Also I found out that if you preordered from gamestop you get the brady games digital strategy guide free. Is it really good? Will it be useful?

Finally got to play a bit last night. Got all the way to Queropeco and was really surprised how long it took to take him down with the default bow. Maybe I’m just used to how fast we would slaughter him with super blademaster weapons in Tri. Had to stay on my toes the whole fight because Jaggi kept showing up. I would like to add that Exaust coating + Arrow rain is amazing. Starting by unloading 20 coatings into them makes the entire fight much easier. I can't wait to help people online with it.

I’m really starting to wonder what the best use of the bow is. I still can’t determine if it is better to spam continuous arrow rain (if I can) or charge shots. I’m leaning towards arrow rain simple because it hits so many times and the monsters flinch a whole lot more. I believe I asked this before but didn't get a response. If any experienced bow users have insight I would very much appreciate it.

Also I can confirm that Charm tables work, at least as far as that fishing boat checker is concerned. I went through the whole process of setting my Wii U system time with a stopwatch nearby, aimed for Table 10, and my fishing results have confirmed it. As long as I’m not on a cursed table I don’t care.

Blitzhex

I was in the same boat. Decided to get a 3DS XL because I get to play MH4, Fire Emblem and Pokemon x/y and there's nothing coming out on Wii U that I actually want. Missing out on online and a crisp looking 1080p sucks, but atleast MH4 will have online.

My little brother and I played for a bit, he was using the 3DS and I was on Wii U. Did a few Rathian quests and the Bullfango event quests. He got to make an awesome looking Gunlance with pretty good stats for low rank. The Bullfango event will always give you this ticket that allows you to make a unique Lance and Gunlance. The items needed to craft each weapon are easily obtained (Rathian Marrow and Bullfango Heads).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was in the same boat. Decided to get a 3DS XL because I get to play MH4, Fire Emblem and Pokemon x/y and there's nothing coming out on Wii U that I actually want. Missing out on online and a crisp looking 1080p sucks, but atleast MH4 will have online.

Do you have to claw to play this on the XL?

Chuckpebble

My little brother and I played for a bit, he was using the 3DS and I was on Wii U. Did a few Rathian quests and the Bullfango event quests. He got to make an awesome looking Gunlance with pretty good stats for low rank. The Bullfango event will always give you this ticket that allows you to make a unique Lance and Gunlance. The items needed to craft each weapon are easily obtained (Rathian Marrow and Bullfango Heads).

Cool, I got really into the gunlance from the demo, so I guess that's where I'll start off.

Quick question, it was mentioned in either this thread, or back in the announcement thread, but someone said the frame rate on 3DS is better with 3D turned off in the menu, not just with the slider. I'm assuming that means disabling 3D under parental controls? I can't find another way to do it.

I just wanted to test it out, even though I'm pretty pleased with the framerate already.

Cool, I got really into the gunlance from the demo, so I guess that's where I'll start off.

Quick question, it was mentioned in either this thread, or back in the announcement thread, but someone said the frame rate on 3DS is better with 3D turned off in the menu, not just with the slider. I'm assuming that means disabling 3D under parental controls? I can't find another way to do it.

I just wanted to test it out, even though I'm pretty pleased with the framerate already.

No, disabling it system-wide won't do anything. Capcom had an in-game menu option to disable 3D in SSF4 and that improved its framerate, I assume it would be the same here.

Stratocast

Neo Member
I cannot believe that the CPP XL has not been announced for NA yet. I just sent an e-mail to Nintendo asking about any possible news regarding a future release. Not expecting anything though, so I guess I'll start looking into importing.

No, disabling it system-wide won't do anything. Capcom had an in-game menu option to disable 3D in SSF4 and that improved its framerate, I assume it would be the same here.

Wouldn't any 3D game double its frame rate with 3D turned off? You need to render 2 frames simultaneously for the 3D effect.

Does this game have a decent tutorial for MH first-timers like me?

DaBoss

Wouldn't any 3D game double its frame rate with 3D turned off? You need to render 2 frames simultaneously for the 3D effect.

Beginnings of Monster Hunters have a somewhat long tutorial that explain the basics of the game, but not how to use the weapons.

Not necessarily. There are quite a few factors that go into it.

Maybe it's not easy to detect a sudden change from 2D to 3D or vice versa and change the framerate on the fly. It's probably best to optimize your game based on the assumption that 3D is on anyway. Capcom sometimes includes a menu option so that with 3D off, they can assume the game is always 2D and run at a consistent rate because of it.

I would say yes, at least on the crafting and gathering and basic systems of the game. The rest you can learn from the internet.

Piece of shit Amazon bumped my delivery date to the 21st.

Does Target have both versions? I'm thinking about driving out there this morning and picking them up plus a third game with the B2G1F deal.

Mileena

Banned
If you're buying a system for the game go for the far superior version? Wii U vs 3DS version is hardly a competition :p

I'd be shocked if MH4 didn't get a U port also. Capcom was extremely happy with 3GHD sales in Japan.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Also I can confirm that Charm tables work, at least as far as that fishing boat checker is concerned. I went through the whole process of setting my Wii U system time with a stopwatch nearby, aimed for Table 10, and my fishing results have confirmed it. As long as I’m not on a cursed table I don’t care.

Huzzah, the confirmation I've been waiting for.

There's lock on targeting using the touch screen, there might be more touchscreen camera options. I haven't tried it yet but people say that the lock on is fine. CPP is recommended though.

There is a lot of UI customization options. They allow you to switch around touch screen features to fit your needs. The touch screen d-pad can be resized and moved around to positions that are more comfortable.

Any news on the eShop's going up ETA?

Indiana just friggin went nuts with the Daylight Savings, so hell if I know what timezone I'm in.
I really ought to learn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom