• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think a lot of people are assuming the fuss is because of the cursed tables, not the Rust Shards, so not a lot of people are understanding what the deal is. I could give a rats ass about the cursed tables. As long as I get the Rust Shards, I'm golden.

Although bear in mind, this is like, late game armor, I believe. So its not like you're going to be gimped for most of the game.

The annoying part about figuring out which table you're on, is that it takes about 1 HOUR. You have to slog through an hour's worth of gameplay, to gather enough charms to cross check with the tables.

Oh, dang. Well, I guess I'll just go with the flow later and see if it's not a pain in the ass to figure out after an hour or two of play. I hear you on it being late-game armor, but isn't that just as big of a deal? It would really suck to have a lot of time on one character and then be gimped late game, or are there always comparable armor sets available?

Hoodbury

Can't wait to fight uragaan. That was always my favorite tri fight for some reason. I always loved the mini uragaan fights as well.

P.s. no I don't know how to spell it.

Heh, I'm more worried about now having voice chat and trying to pronounce some of the monster names. I'm sure we all say them in our own way in our head. It'll be interesting to hear how different people say them to what I call them.

Spelling wasn't that big of a deal in tri since there were shortcuts for them all.

blackflag

Anyone EXCITED to fight Jhen?

God, I love the coop feeling of that battle. <3

Yeah that one was always fun too if a bit easy. Gotta remember how to do it. I haven't played for about a year. I'm sure it will come back to me.

Really debating with myself on starting with gun lance. I had fun with it in the demo but always liked switch axe and hammer too

Anyone EXCITED to fight Jhen?

God, I love the coop feeling of that battle. <3

736092_186908698118075_1233164600_o.jpg

I'm excited for any of these monsters online, really.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, dang. Well, I guess I'll just go with the flow later and see if it's not a pain in the ass to figure out after an hour or two of play. I hear you on it being late-game armor, but isn't that just as big of a deal? It would really suck to have a lot of time on one character and then be gimped late game, or are there always comparable armor sets available?

I dunno about other people, but I like collecting all the armor, so the knowledge that there's a piece of armor I can't get, will just drive me crazy.

Obviously, I'm not going to get ALL the armor (because male and female armor look different), unless I start a 2nd character that's female (who am I kidding, I probably will at some point). But I will try as much as humanly possible to get every piece of armor I can get my grubby hands on for my character.

To be honest, I also like collecting all the weapons too, but that's a little more time consuming, so I'm dealing with armor first.

EDIT: Oh, and in case you missed it, you can also just force a charm table, which involves setting your WiiU system clock to a certain date and time, and hitting New Game at the appropiate time. That's for people who don't want to leave anything to chance.

Mondriaan

My problem with khezu isn't the blanka shock, which he does use MUCH MUCH more frequently than gravios or uragaan use their gas. It's the long range electric blast. For non-guarding weapons you need to actually dodge them completely, which can be REALLY hard at g-rank when he gets insanely fast splitting lightning. And if it hits you, you're done - paralyze into his fat ass jumping on you. Other monsters' projectiles can be avoided with the superman dive...but guess what, Khezu can't 'see' you so you don't have access to it.
Well, g-rank is supposed to be hard.

Mupod

First off I haven't even seen real confirmation of this rustshard thing and it all sounds like a purplemonkeydishwasher situation to me. Second, rustshard weapons are never that great and I don't even know what armor we're talking about but it probably sucks anyways.

You will never be 'gimped'. At worst you'll be down a skill from the absolute most minmaxed set of armor which would require you to charm hunt for hundreds of hours anyways. And this is a game where armor is optional if you're good enough. I like to wear intentionally bad armor just to mess with people in lobbies and then dominate the monster anyways. This is not WoW.

HOWEVER. I am the kind of person that will charm hunt for hundreds of hours and making ridiculously good armor sets is a fun endgame goal. I got in table 10 easily my first try. Yeah it took a while to test what table I was on, but most of that was Tri's shitty boring intro quests which you need to go through anyways. For the actual testing, spamming the kelbi quest to cycle the boats gets you a butt ton of honey which I'd need to go gather up anyways so it wasn't a waste of time.

and this is all assuming Capcom doesn't patch it. Then again you'd think they would've done that already since the game came out months ago in Japan. To be honest now that I know about this stuff I kinda prefer it this way, since manipulating your table was a way to speed up charm hunting in Tri and you had to do that every time the game launched if you wanted to stay on said table.

This is the first game I've seen where they actively let you turn off 3D mode. And it turns off the little light. Not that this game doesnt benefit from 3D, it looks great, but I dont want to be thrown off when I tilt the system slightly.

Santiako

This is the first game I've seen where they actively let you turn off 3D mode. And it turns off the little light. Not that this game doesnt benefit from 3D, it looks great, but I dont want to be thrown off when I tilt the system slightly.

Street Fighter also lets you do this.

Chuckpebble

Me too, gurl. Me too. Only working noon to 5 today though :)

I love everything about your avatar.

I'm all ready to start my download as soon as I pull into the driveway this afternoon. Background download while I play the role of family man for the next 4 hours after that.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
First off I haven't even seen real confirmation of this rustshard thing and it all sounds like a purplemonkeydishwasher situation to me. Second, rustshard weapons are never that great and I don't even know what armor we're talking about but it probably sucks anyways.

You will never be 'gimped'. At worst you'll be down a skill from the absolute most minmaxed set of armor which would require you to charm hunt for hundreds of hours anyways. And this is a game where armor is optional if you're good enough. I like to wear intentionally bad armor just to mess with people in lobbies and then dominate the monster anyways. This is not WoW.

HOWEVER. I am the kind of person that will charm hunt for hundreds of hours and making ridiculously good armor sets is a fun endgame goal. I got in table 10 easily my first try. Yeah it took a while to test what table I was on, but most of that was Tri's shitty boring intro quests which you need to go through anyways. For the actual testing, spamming the kelbi quest to cycle the boats gets you a butt ton of honey which I'd need to go gather up anyways so it wasn't a waste of time.

and this is all assuming Capcom doesn't patch it. Then again you'd think they would've done that already since the game came out months ago in Japan. To be honest now that I know about this stuff I kinda prefer it this way, since manipulating your table was a way to speed up charm hunting in Tri and you had to do that every time the game launched if you wanted to stay on said table.

Charm tables don't work that way anymore though.

Anyway, the armor in question are the Atea/Atea X armor sets. And on the weapon side, Rustshards give you Dragon element weapons, which is never a bad thing to have.

But really, the whole thing about the charm tables are only really important if you WANT those things. The problem about being undecided is that you can't bloody change your mind later. If you could, then this whole argument is moot to begin with.

Honestly, if you don't want to mess with the charm table hacking, all the power to you, its not that big a deal, unless you actually care, then please, go ahead, hack away.

I like how the piggy shows up at random at the end there.

Its because piggy is the deadliest of all creatures, because he uses DAWWWs and CUDDLES.

Word. That's what I like to hear. Thanks.

DJIzana

Can't wait to pick this up shortly... it sucks knowing I wont be able to play this until like 1:00AM though. Luckily my shift for work changes to a normal 7am-3pm mon-fri shift next month at least!

Im trying to decide if I want to buy this.

I played the demo and I liked dual blades but someone told me that wont be great for end game stuff so I got bummed out

this is my first monster hunter so trying to get over the... deliberate controls is kind of tough. Those were the only weapons that I felt I had control over and if im wasting my time with them then I dunno what I want to do

it seemed fun but only with that one weapon style

Mondriaan

Hehehe, it is pretty hilarious.

"Cool he can't see me!"

*spits lightning*

"Ohoh, watch me dive!"

*rolls*

*dies*

"Bu.. bu... bu... "

happened to me way too often

You'll feel like much more of a boss when you casually walk into the safe gaps between the ground bolts, though,
even if you're walking into them completely by accident

I played the demo and I liked dual blades but someone told me that wont be great for end game stuff so I got bummed out

this is my first monster hunter so trying to get over the... deliberate controls is kind of tough. Those were the only weapons that I felt I had control over and if im wasting my time with them then I dunno what I want to do

LOL? There's no such thing, ignore that comment. You can use whatever weapon you want, at anytime you want, they are all good.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

If you are proficient in them, you can make them work. I remember watching some videos of a SnS guy doing high rank hunts, and I seem to remember SnS being considered terrible for "end game".

DaBoss

Bullshit. You can use any weapon class as long as you're good enough. Some weapons are suggested against some monsters, but you can beat any monster with any weapon class.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

You can use any weapon type through the end game. People that are telling you that specific weapons types are not good are the obsessive min-maxing types that will only ever use the best weapon and armour set. After playing for a while, you might even discover you enjoy another weapon type.

Play how ever you want. All bosses are beatable with any weapon type you choose. If you want to play with duel blades, dont let someone stop you. And when ever you want to experiment with other types of weapons, then you're free to. It really doesnt matter.

Andrex said:

It's pretty cheesy...

Don't worry about it. Play the game your way, have fun and enjoy yourself. Screw the minmaxers.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Well, a lot of the weapons are hard to figure out how to use effectively, honestly. It is recommended you try and learn a few weapons, and not just stick to one, since it does make fights against certain monsters way easier. As anyone who's tried to go on a bug hunt with the wrong weapon, will gladly tell you.

This is a game of skill more than anything, so unless you've played previous MH games before, its not like you'd be expected to be great at this game so quickly.

Don't worry about it. Play the game your way, have fun and enjoy yourself. Screw the minmaxers.

Thanks to you and the other hundred people that all told me this I went ahead and did an instore pickup order so it'll be waiting for me when I get home

I am now excited for it

Thanks a lot everyone

Mupod

If you are proficient in them, you can make them work. I remember watching some videos of a SnS guy doing high rank hunts, and I seem to remember SnS being considered terrible for "end game".

SnS got a bad rap in Tri because elemental weapons get a kick in the balls when the weapon variety is limited. That will not be a problem this time around.

Although DS kinda steals its thunder just by existing, I think DS' options for status weapons are significantly worse than SnS in this outing.

I still say there's no better weapon for learning a new monster whether you're new or have been playing for 300 hours. Best mobility, attacks you don't need to commit to since you can roll out of anything, and guarding for emergencies. Plus you can use items without putting it away. And you don't need to worry about getting in the way of allies since it has such narrow attacks.

Funny story - I beat my first Alatreon mostly solo with a crappy sleep SnS. I just wanted the urgent out of the way so I joined some sleep bombers - one of them carted twice early on so they all dropped out of the quest. I just said screw it and kept fighting - he went down with less than 30 seconds left on the clock.

Hoodbury

By the way, how big is the first patch? I know some of you already have the game.

Wondering this as well. I won't get to play until tonight when my daughter goes to bed, but if there is a significant day 1 patch I might as well get that going when I get home from work.

SnS got a bad rap in Tri because elemental weapons get a kick in the balls when the weapon variety is limited. That will not be a problem this time around.

Although DS kinda steals its thunder just by existing, I think DS' options for status weapons are significantly worse than SnS in this outing.

I still say there's no better weapon for learning a new monster whether you're new or have been playing for 300 hours. Best mobility, attacks you don't need to commit to since you can roll out of anything, and guarding for emergencies. Plus you can use items without putting it away. And you don't need to worry about getting in the way of allies since it has such narrow attacks.

Funny story - I beat my first Alatreon mostly solo with a crappy sleep SnS. I just wanted the urgent out of the way so I joined some sleep bombers - one of them carted twice early on so they all dropped out of the quest. I just said screw it and kept fighting - he went down with less than 30 seconds left on the clock.

Thats pretty badass. When people leave a quest like that it's so discouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom