• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madouu

Reporting in! I Grabbed the game on the eShop, made an exception for MH :p

Game is downloading right now, 1 hour to go, seems to be maxing out my internet download speed.

Ridley327

So what do you guys think about the visually updated visuals ? I know this wasn't meant to be a proper Wii U remake, but does the increased resolution make it look considerably sharper and more vibrant ? MH Tri looked a bit gritty and the colors washed out.

The demo looked quite nice, as far as an HD port does. Capcom wound up using better textures for the monsters, as well as higher-res shadows and a redone HUD, so they definitely didn't just coast with the game, as far as visuals are concerned. It's not the HD Monster Hunter of our dreams, but it's definitely a good bump.

Ken

I haven't really been following the whole tables debacle but since I learned that some are pretty broken I'd like to at least make sure that I can play the game with a passable one.

That being said how do I work that site?

Play up to where you can use the ships. Send them out, and include your catch in the chart inside the first link. If you have enough data, it will tell you what table(s) you possibly landed on.

Orayn

So what do you guys think about the updated visuals ? I know this wasn't meant to be a proper Wii U remake, but does the increased resolution make it look considerably sharper and more vibrant ? MH Tri looked a bit gritty and the colors washed out.

They toned down the bloom, got rid of the washed out look to make it more vibrant, and the textures got a LOT better in some cases. Monster and level geometry took a slight hit due to being ported from 3DS/Portable 3rd content, but everything else is a nice step forward.

EDIT: Also, yeah, we have dynamic shadows now instead of blobs. Some updated monsters also have a healthy amount of normal mapping and self-shadowing.

Hiltz

The demo looked quite nice, as far as an HD port does. Capcom wound up using better textures for the monsters, as well as higher-res shadows and a redone HUD, so they definitely didn't just coast with the game, as far as visuals are concerned. It's not the HD Monster Hunter of our dreams, but it's definitely a good bump.

They toned down the bloom, got rid of the washed out look to make it more vibrant, and the textures got a LOT better in some cases. Monster and level geometry took a slight hit due to being ported from 3DS/Portable 3rd content, but everything else is a nice step forward.

EDIT: Also, yeah, we have dynamic shadows now instead of blobs. Some updated monsters also have a healthy amount of normal mapping and self-shadowing.

Sounds pretty good for what it is then. I'm glad to hear that they toned down the bloom lighting.

So what do rustshards actually make? Is it like the best equipment in the game, or just really great stuff?

If i'm hearing correctly it also helps create the Atea X armor, which in P3rd, was a great armor for lbg. There was a notorious set and it's variations that used it, which i dubbed the micheal bay set.

That armor along with the ancient shard lbg (island of the titans) can gain a skill set including: recoil +2, bonus shot, Gunnery king/master, Load up

The lbg rapid fires crag shots (which KOed and exhaust in 3rd) which makes multiple explosions on a monsters face, while KOing them, and doing great damage from the gunnery king/master boost, the gun also came with good status options.

Mupod

Dragon equipment, which can come in useful.

I had a rustshard hammer I got a lot of use out of back in Tri, I managed to get it much earlier than I should have thanks to some luck and destroyed a lot of early high rank with it. But if we're talking endgame as far as I know Alatreon's stuff generally poops on rustshard weapons anyways.

LtOrange

Picking my copy up after work and I was wondering if the transfer app is available yet. I was planning on doing the charm table business on the 3ds then transferring to the Wii u.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't care if rustshard weapons are outclassed. 95% of the equipment in the game is 'outclassed'. It's just a bullshit mechanic that would limit your equipment availability. Yeah, I'm mad and I managed to land on table 10 my first try.

Chuckpebble

What are the chances that the charm tables are an elaborate prank that JP gamers are playing on us right now? They're probably having a rick rollicking good time about now.

That's some nigh-illegible font on the 3DS. Even worse than the demo, somehow.
It is, yeah. It's actually pretty okay on the tutorial pop-ups and whatnot, but in the general text-boxes it's awful. The letters are on like 2 different layers at once with the 3D on, almost as if the text isn't lining up properly. In 2D it's better, but even that seems to vary depending on how many words/letters are in each box.

I had a rustshard hammer I got a lot of use out of back in Tri, I managed to get it much earlier than I should have thanks to some luck and destroyed a lot of early high rank with it. But if we're talking endgame as far as I know Alatreon's stuff generally poops on rustshard weapons anyways.

I got extremely lucky with ancient shards. My first ever HR quest I did was in the vulcano. I got 1 ancient shard and it turned into the worn hammer (I main hammers).

daxy

March 22nd can't come soon enough ;___;

Does anyone know if the digital version comes up at midnight or if there's a set time the (3DS) eShop updates and it'll only be up then?
Read that the Wii U version will have a midnight release, but nothing about the 3DS.

I hope nobody else preordered this from NewEgg when they were running that $12 off preorder deal last October. I just got an e-mail saying they voided my order because apparently they decided not to stock it. Whelp, I'm off to GameStop to get my copy!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Hahaha, I got table 10 without any restarting or changing times.

Sorry to sound ignint but,

What is a table 10 and why would you have to restart?

This is my first monster hunter game ever and im still trying to figure out stuff like this!

I hope nobody else preordered this from NewEgg when they were running that $12 off preorder deal last October. I just got an e-mail saying they voided my order because apparently they decided not to stock it. Whelp, I'm off to GameStop to get my copy!
I did and just got the same email :(

This is the 2nd time they dinged me liked this too so I'm done ordering games from them.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My USA 3DS copy came with a CN code. Wii copy did not.
What is up with the TERRIBLE font in the 3DS version?
It's all fuzzy and weird. :(

DaBoss

Sorry to sound ignint but,

What is a table 10 and why would you have to restart?

This is my first monster hunter game ever and im still trying to figure out stuff like this!

So there are these things called charms, and they just allow you to maximize skills, which are things beneficial to hunters. The charms are randomized across different tables, and table 10 has the charms I wanted. If I didn't get it, I would have to try again to get it or use a method to get it for sure.

Honestly though, you shouldn't worry about it. Just get into it and have fun.

Filth

Was the data transfer app released? I got pretty far on my 3ds and don't want to restart when I get home to my wii u. :(

I did and just got the same email :(

This is the 2nd time they dinged me liked this too so I'm done ordering games from them.

Yeah, I don't know why they ran the deal, and listed the game if they had no intention of honoring the deal. I think I'm pretty much done with NewEgg for games.

Edit: And isn't that pretty much the point of preorders, to let retailers know how many they need to order?

The wait until Friday continues to be suffocating, and watching these streams barely makes it better. Has any fellow Euro-Gaffer received the game in advance?

Hoodbury

I did too but i cancelled it last week since I didn't want to wait for them to ship and switched to Best Buy in store pickup so I can play today. Guess I lucked out.

They royally messed up my AC III order and I didn't get it until a month after release so I'm done using them too.

Nohar

I'm from France too, just added you!

I accepted your invitation ;) I look forward to play with you, though, right now, I'll probably focus on crafting at least the Jaggi armor before going online - this is the bare minimum ^^ I also need a better gunbow (Rapid-fire Pellet 1 is fine, but I'm going to bother my allies and make them trip if I only use this ammo - I can't use it without hitting allies when fighting against small monsters).

Has anyone had any luck finding either version at Target? I'd like to take advantage of their deal but the closest store near me is about 50 miles away.

Thanks in advance.

Doorman

Wow, I came back from work, and the Wii U was already off. Apparently the download took less than two hours to complete! Nice.

Now I just need to empty my dishwasher and clean up the kitchen a bit, and then it's ON! EXCITE!

Has anyone had any luck finding either version at Target? I'd like to take advantage of their deal but the closest store near me is about 50 miles away.

Thanks in advance.

Picked up mine from Target in Cincy, I got the last Wii U version, and they had 2 3DS versions left. Doesn't appear that they got a large amount.

Nester

Thanks in advance.

Picked it up at Target near my work (Eden Prairie, MN) on my lunch. They had 3 of each version left.

Picked up my Wii U copy, why do I have so many errands to run after work today? I just want to get home and hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom