• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razlo

Wait, the transfer app isn't up yet? wtf. I started on 3DS because obviously it finished downloading hours before the Wii U version. I'd much rather play on Wii U but I'm not starting over for that, especially since I still want to be able to play on the go.

Nintendo really needs to get their act together with this stuff, and yes I mean Nintendo and not Capcom, because I'm sure this is probably no different from the fact that 1st party titles go up at midnight and we have to wait til noon for 3rd party.

Ugh! I started on 3DS & planned on playing online tonight. I wish either Nintendo or Capcom would say when the transfer app will be on eShop!

muu

Genuinely serious questions. You can't even see the health of the boss of a quest?
Also, is it supposed to be very very hard? As in te Easy quest the demo gives you actually takes a long time to complete with lots of grinding? Do you level up your character like a normal RPG?

Cheers!

No health bars for bosses, but you'll know when they're tired, angry, near death, etc.

The easy mode takes forever since you haven't figured the game out yet. Just like any game w/ a learning curve, at one point you'll start figuring things out and everything starts to click. Took me the full timer to kill the thing when I played the JP demo last year, this time around I dismantled the guy w/ a GS a little over 5 mins and got through Plesioth in the first try also. The demo does a bad job of showing this, but it does take a good hour or so at least to get to this point.

Thanks very much everyone, really appreciate the detailed feedback and advice. I should of said I was totally new to the game, you probably thought I was being a troll.

I might pick up a guide with the game, sounds like it might be really handy :)

Satch

Banned
finally off of work!!!

and i come home only to find out that my stupid wii u turned itself off way before the download finished so now i have to wait

im just going to go ahead and get drunk while i wait instead of while i play

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

It better be up by the time I get home.
FuqnPhm.gif

Why isn't this built into the game ffs.

Doorman

Thanks very much everyone, really appreciate the detailed feedback and advice. I should of said I was totally new to the game, you probably thought I was being a troll.

I might pick up a guide with the game, sounds like it might be really handy :)
Moreso than having a guide, your own experience and having a good community (like...say, GAF!) at your disposal will prove to be way more helpful in the long run. Monster Hunter really is a "learn by doing" sort of game.
The reason you were questioned is because a lot of your genuine questions wound up reading like a laundry list of really common questions/complaints especially put forth by newcomers and reviewers (the slow weaponry, lock-on, monster health-bars, length of battles). I suppose the stereotype has roots in the truth!

I keep saying it, but you'll be fine as long as you have some patience and a genuine willingness to learn some of the game's quirkier facets. If you give it the time, you will be rewarded, fear not.

finally off of work!!!

and i come home only to find out that my stupid wii u turned itself off way before the download finished so now i have to wait

im just going to go ahead and get drunk while i wait instead of while i play
Same thing happened to me. I thought setting it onto download like that was supposed to disable the auto power-off functionality? My download's almost done, but now I'll have to make dinner anyway, so the wait continues.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
When I think of FAQs and Monster Hunter, I think:

The "gun racks" scene from the Matrix. Except it's:

"FAQs. Lots of FAQs."

And infinite bookshelves full of strategy guides slide into view.

BooJoh

Awesome, glad I don't have to wait til Thursday.

It better be up by the time I get home.
FuqnPhm.gif

Why isn't this built into the game ffs.

Because the 3DS version was released in Japan before the Wii U version was planned, so it's built into the Wii U version but rather than patching the 3DS version or using Download Play for it they just made an extra app.

I had to call my friend so he could check the download and press the install button. LMAO

He also downloaded the patch.

IM GONNA START PLAYING NOW

iFq7UVY0xueLY.gif

Satch

Banned
Same thing happened to me. I thought setting it onto download like that was supposed to disable the auto power-off functionality? My download's almost done, but now I'll have to make dinner anyway, so the wait continues.

that's what i was thinking too. when i first got my wii u, it had to do the update and the auto-power down was disabled for it automatically (i remember it even saying as much). i assumed it would be the same for games too...

i just turned my auto power-off... off to keep that from happening again

Mondriaan

Target didn't have any copies so I guess I'm going digital. How bad have the download speeds been?

I've finally gotten an estimate and it's about 4 and a half hours. My internet speed isn't the problem here, though.

[edit]Also, don't even think about multitasking. Jumping into miiverse for a moment and then going back to the download management gave me a new, even more wonderful estimate of 14+ hours.

daakusedo

Luigi's mansion 2 and an unexpected trip kinda settle it for now, I'm a bit disappointed to miss the early days of online play with other people discovering the game.

Nohar

Ha! Yes, I know! The question was, where in France did you find a copy?

Edit: I'm le french too, I'll send you guys an invite, we can all hunt together with our berets, eating stinky cheese with baguette, drinking red, singing "Allez les bleus! Allez les bleus!"

Micromania in Toulouse received the Wii U bundle today. That's how I managed to get it ^^
(Oh God the stereotypes xD ).

Mileena

Banned
Why is it gonna take 42 minutes to download the patch? Nintendo's terrible download servers strike again! Brought to you by Walmart.

Doorman

Kinda want to blast through the first few 1 star quests in moga before going online.

Seems sensible. I'd at least like to craft myself an armor set before I really hop on and try to keep up with the folks in multiplayer. If nothing else I'll get far enough to double-check my charm table...as much as I hate admitting that.

Getting tutorial stuff out of the way. I'm enjoying the game even though they decided to replace the "I"s in the game with "]". CPP is so great under water. Imy only regret is how digital the camera positions are. Also I was surprised that the game takes my system offline and goes local. So much for seeing if other people are hunting while I do.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So are you 3DS owners happy with it? I'm at Target deciding between Wii U and XL still. They have both games, but my buy in is about half for the XL and games. Bah this is tough....I want online, but I'm still sketchy on the Wii U library as a whole. :/ But I'm also hearing mega complaints about visuals on the XL? How bad?

Sanic

Sorry for more newb question, but it looks like the online and offline missions are separate from each other, even though they mostly end up being the same thing. Is this a case where I should do the offline missions first and then jump online, or can I move back and forth at my leisure?

Do you think they may patch this for the text readability?

This is a huge problem. From the distance I sit, I have to squint to read the text. They have a ton of space they could be using, but aren't.

Peru

So are you 3DS owners happy with it? I'm at Target deciding between Wii U and XL still. They have both games, but my buy in is about half for the XL and games. Bah this is tough....I want online, but I'm still sketchy on the Wii U library as a whole. :/ But I'm also hearing mega complaints about visuals on the XL? How bad?

The visuals are great. It's just the fonts that are odd, like they were on Tri (and actually on WiiU ver. as well). For some reason this is a series tradition.

Hoodbury

My copy arrived!

I have a few things to do and then I'll [finally] begin with the Monster Hunting!

I've already decided on T10, so I've learned what I need to do.

• Disconnect my Wii U from the Internet [unplug modem]
  • Set the Wii U's Time to 12:12 AM and Date to 21/1/12
  • Begin Stopwatch as soon as I "confirm" the Time/Date
  • Start up Monster Hunter and wait to hit "New Game" until the stopwatch reads 2min, 43~45 seconds
  • Once character is created, I can once again connect my Wii U online and change the Time/Date back to what it's supposed to be
  • Proceed as normal until I use the fishing method to confirm that I got T10 as I wanted

It seems like a decent amount of work, I hope it will be worth it.

Quick question on the when to start the stop watch part. When you are in the system settings and you click the confirm button there are then 2 more prompts saying something something "are you sure", something something "changing your time could effect things".

So do you start the stop watch after you OK those extra prompts or do you still do it when you click the first confirm?

First time hunter here, got the last Wii U copy in the 6 stores I visited... hard to find!

Feeling a little overwhelmed but just going to play around and hope things will come naturally... my first problem is I have somehow zoomed in the map and can't see where to go... I've tried every button combo and looked in the manual... anyone help me get it back to normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom