• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

So there are these things called charms, and they just allow you to maximize skills, which are things beneficial to hunters. The charms are randomized across different tables, and table 10 has the charms I wanted. If I didn't get it, I would have to try again to get it or use a method to get it for sure.

Honestly though, you shouldn't worry about it. Just get into it and have fun.

Yeah you've got more than enough weapons and armor to work with as a first timer, so I wouldnt worry about it.

Picked up mine from Target in Cincy, I got the last Wii U version, and they had 2 3DS versions left. Doesn't appear that they got a large amount.

Picked it up at Target near my work (Eden Prairie, MN) on my lunch. They had 3 of each version left.

Picked up my Wii U copy, why do I have so many errands to run after work today? I just want to get home and hunt!

Thanks. The closest Target may be 50 miles away but there's like 4 stores nearby of each other so I'll be sure to hit them all if need be.

Kouriozan

I accepted your invitation ;) I look forward to play with you, though, right now, I'll probably focus on crafting at least the Jaggi armor before going online - this is the bare minimum ^^ I also need a better gunbow (Rapid-fire Pellet 1 is fine, but I'm going to bother my allies and make them trip if I only use this ammo - I can't use it without hitting allies when fighting against small monsters).

Me too, I'll get it Thursday if Amazon ship it tomorrow.
So we'll maybe play together this week end.

Fistwell

Europe! France :)
Ha! Yes, I know! The question was, where in France did you find a copy?

Edit: I'm le french too, I'll send you guys an invite, we can all hunt together with our berets, eating stinky cheese with baguette, drinking red, singing "Allez les bleus! Allez les bleus!"

Sanic

Just sent out of a few friend request to random people on the spreadsheet. Don't know when i'll be taking my character online, however.

Luigi87

Picked up my 3DS copy. Really want to play it, but think I may wait until after I complete Luigi's Mansion 2 when I get that next week @_@

Doorman

So here I am, all ready to install and get the game rolling and now....what? Despite me setting the system to shut off after downloads are completed, it apparently turned off before it was finished anyway.

The hell?!?

1 hr 40 minutes to go still...Nintendo why have you forsaken me?

Picked one up at Target (they had maybe 1/2 a dozen) of the WiiU but I didn't see any 3DS versions around.

Those charm tables, I can't make heads or tails on what I have to worry about. I just don't want a cursed table.

So how does the transfer system work between the 3DS and Wii U. I've heard there's separate files for each NNID, so I was wondering how it's handled between the two.

creid

So here I am, all ready to install and get the game rolling and now....what? Despite me setting the system to shut off after downloads are completed, it apparently turned off before it was finished anyway.

The hell?!?

1 hr 40 minutes to go still...Nintendo why have you forsaken me?
By default the system is set to turn itself off after a certain period of idle time. Check your system settings.

likeGdid

I think I messed up when I was trying to get Table 4. Looks like the pattern I put in results in T10 as the sole possibility. Could have been worse.

Will I eventually be able to quick travel like in MHFU? Where I was able to go straight to my house from my farm and vice versa?

chrono01

My copy arrived!

I have a few things to do and then I'll [finally] begin with the Monster Hunting!

I've already decided on T10, so I've learned what I need to do.

• Disconnect my Wii U from the Internet [unplug modem]
  • Set the Wii U's Time to 12:12 AM and Date to 21/1/12
  • Begin Stopwatch as soon as I "confirm" the Time/Date
  • Start up Monster Hunter and wait to hit "New Game" until the stopwatch reads 2min, 43~45 seconds
  • Once character is created, I can once again connect my Wii U online and change the Time/Date back to what it's supposed to be
  • Proceed as normal until I use the fishing method to confirm that I got T10 as I wanted

It seems like a decent amount of work, I hope it will be worth it.

NeoRausch

I am sooo charm table nervous!

when i got it all down to T10 and saved I'll be happy.

edit:
BTW, how does the fishing method work? got the tool but no idea what to do after I've created my hunter.

Sanic

Would anyone care to elaborate on the DLC system?

I'm looking at it now, and it seems pretty cool. How often do these new quests come out?

BooJoh

I just started my file, after the first tutorial where you go find the wrecked camp I went to activate StreetPass and stuff and did the Bullfango Event quest. Does this quest always award the Lance/Gunlance Medal or can you get medals for other weapon types?

chrono01

I am sooo charm table nervous!

when i got it all down to T10 and saved I'll be happy.

edit:
BTW, how does the fishing method work? got the tool but no idea what to do after I've created my hunter.

Basically you send the fishermen out to fish, and depending on the results, it will tell you which Charm Table you have.

The results are input into these sites.

http://www.hayasoft.com/chisamin/mh3g/tsearch.cgi

http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/index.html [English Translation]

bitoriginal

Got my CPP XL today in the UK, it's a glorious beast. MUCH better than the original CPP too, feels much more comfortable to hold.

Can't wait to get this later this week. Going to be my first Monster Hunter too.

Jarsonot

Downloaded! I've been harvesting a bunch of crap, no idea what it is/does! Now I'm on my first guild quest, harvesting shrooms. Trying to main bow for a bit, but man, we'll see =)

Probably gonna poop my pants when I come across my first big monster - everything is so serene right now!

chrono01

cheers! a beer on you, buddy.

You're very welcome!

I'm a fledgling "Monster Hunter" newbie, so I'm trying to learn everything I can before I begin. The majority, I assume, I'll learn as I progress [through trail-and-fire, more than likely].

It should be an enjoyable experience. :)

Playing the 3DS demo. Noob Questions, never played MH before

- Is the only attack X and A? No magic, no special attack? Just a slow moving attack?
- How do you block?
- How do you lock-on to an enemy? The camera is fucking terrible. Terrible!
- How do I bring up the enemies health gauge? I must have hit the silver snow rabbit a hundred times now. Can't see his health gauge anywhere
- Why didn't Capcom put a tutorial in the demo?!

Cheers :)

Downloaded! I've been harvesting a bunch of crap, no idea what it is/does! Now I'm on my first guild quest, harvesting shrooms. Trying to main bow for a bit, but man, we'll see =)

Probably gonna poop my pants when I come across my first big monster - everything is so serene right now!

Yea i enjoyed the chilling aspect of it too.. gathering stuff for making potions and armor etc.. It`s a great game.. i put a ton of time onto for wii.. Really looking forward to it again.. it`s been 2 years and with updated graphics and better way to chat online with the wii U gamepad should be great!

my download it almost done as well

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Playing the 3DS demo. Questions.

- Is the only attack X and A? No magic, no special attack? Just a slow moving attack?
- How do you block?
- How do I bring up the enemies health gauge? I must have hit the silver snow rabbit a hundred times now. Can't see his health gauge anywhere

I can't tell if this is deliberately playing on some tropes or is for real.

tumblr_m1gunurf8I1qjhjoso1_400.gif

JUMPED IN! As a noob, i said screw it to the charm table and just went ahead. I doubt it'll ever affect me that greatly (I don't plan to master).

Anyway, I played about an hour and love it so far. Had to dash to class, but it hasn't been too painful (yet).

I can't tell if this is deliberately playing on some tropes or is for real.

tumblr_m1gunurf8I1qjhjoso1_400.gif

Genuinely serious questions. You can't even see the health of the boss of a quest?
Also, is it supposed to be very very hard? As in te Easy quest the demo gives you actually takes a long time to complete with lots of grinding? Do you level up your character like a normal RPG?

Cheers!

Played for about 2 hours, got through all the tutorial nonsense and downed a Great Jaggi. Wii U version just looks so darn clean, I can deal with the sometimes sketchy framerate with visuals this sharp.

BooJoh

Wait, the transfer app isn't up yet? wtf. I started on 3DS because obviously it finished downloading hours before the Wii U version. I'd much rather play on Wii U but I'm not starting over for that, especially since I still want to be able to play on the go.

Nintendo really needs to get their act together with this stuff, and yes I mean Nintendo and not Capcom, because I'm sure this is probably no different from the fact that 1st party titles go up at midnight and we have to wait til noon for 3rd party.

gryz

Banned
Has anyone had any luck finding either version at Target? I'd like to take advantage of their deal but the closest store near me is about 50 miles away.

Thanks in advance.

my target was cleaned out. I got the last 3DS copy and there were no more wii u copies, the guy said they barely got any to begin with. this might be another fire emblem situation.

Also, any recommendations for start character? And, in the full game can you change weapon types (character?) after start playing? Like Dark Souls?

creid

I'm really hoping that Capcom / Yuri's silence on the transfer tool is a result of them scrambling to get it up, and not them shutting up until Thursday :/

- How do you block?

- Different weapons have different speeds - if the weapon you've picked is too slow, try a different one.
- Hit the Home button with the demo open and open up the Manual. Should give you the controls for all of the weapons (including block.)
- No "lock on" per se but there is a "target camera" that will always snap to face the monster you're after. It helps a lot.
- Nope, no health gauge. When the monster is dying he will look like he is dying.
- No good reason. It certainly could use one.

wsippel

Banned

- How do you block?

- There's X, A, R and several combinations thereof, plus directions. And +, depending on the weapon.
- R, if you're using a weapon that supports blocking. If it doesn't, you can only evade (B).
- You don't. There's no lock-on. It wouldn't work.
- You don't. There's no health gauge.
- Because the demo was made for people who already know how the game works. Yeah, it's stupid.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
And now for the download wait.

Probably will start hunting tomorrow.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Genuinely serious questions.

OK cool, if you're being serious I'd be happy to answer. :)

Is the only attack X and A? No magic, no special attack? Just a slow moving attack?

Depends on the weapon. Dual Sword and Longsword can attack with R. Gunners can use ammo. There's no "magic" attacks. The world is fantasy, but it's a rustic non-magical fantasy.

How do you block?

Certain weapons can't block. Sword and Shield and Great Sword can block, I don't know how SnS does it, but Great Sword lets you block with R. I forget which other weapons let you block.

How do you lock-on to an enemy? The camera is fucking terrible. Terrible!

Camera button on the touch screen will enable a pseudo-lock on mode. Pressing L after will recenter the camera on the monster, but it won't stay locked onto it. This is important as sometimes you want to target specific parts (tail, head.)

How do I bring up the enemies health gauge? I must have hit the silver snow rabbit a hundred times now. Can't see his health gauge anywhere

Monsters don't have health gauges. You can tell if they're weak because they'll just stand in place for moments at a time, start drooling, or start limping to another area. You can also get an idea for how damaged they are just by looking at them (they'll get more scars, etc.)

Why didn't Capcom put a tutorial in the demo?!

Good question. The demo is terrible. The actual game does a much, much better job of easing you into things.

You can't even see the health of the boss of a quest?

Nope.

Also, is it supposed to be very very hard?

It requires a degree of mastery over the controls, camera, weapon you're playing with, and a knowledge of the monster's unique set of attacks, as well as a healthy dose of preparation (making sure you have enough potions/whetstones/etc.)

As in te Easy quest the demo gives you actually takes a long time to complete with lots of grinding?

The demo quests are BS because you only get 20 mins. Almost all other quests give you 50.

Do you level up your character like a normal RPG?

No. You forge and upgrade equipment, and further customize it with different abilities. You can only do this with the carves and drops you get from hunting monsters and otherwise gathering materials.

Also, any recommendations for start character? And, in the full game can you change weapon types (character?) after start playing? Like Dark Souls?

Sword and Shield and Dual Swords are generally recommended for newbies since they don't attack as slow.

And yes. You can make a huge variety of weapons in the game and change them any time before a quest.

deviljho

You don't level up stats in MH. You kill/capture monsters, get loot and materials from them or other places to forge better weapons and armor. You can change armor and your weapon before you start each quest.

The trick of the game is to learn how to time your attacks and also avoid getting hit by proper positioning and dodging. So you have to learn how each weapon handles and also how each monster moves. Online, you also have to learn how to work together and not get in the way of your teammates. As for monster health bars, there are none. All you get are cues such as animations and scars when you "break" a specific body part, monsters also drool, limp and flee to sleep. You also have to learn how to gauge how each hunt is going by using your experience hunting that monster in the past.

If you like games where you can improve your skill, this is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom