• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazerei

Banned
So are you 3DS owners happy with it? I'm at Target deciding between Wii U and XL still. They have both games, but my buy in is about half for the XL and games. Bah this is tough....I want online, but I'm still sketchy on the Wii U library as a whole. :/ But I'm also hearing mega complaints about visuals on the XL? How bad?

Yeah, I'm happy with it. The visuals are fine, except the font is terribly scaled. The controls might be a bigger issue. I have a CPP, but I tried playing without it and I couldn't get used to the digital D-pad.

Hattori

Banned
Are you hard wired? The lack of an ethernet port is mind boggling. I'm pretty sure I download slow as shit on this console because of my damn WiFi. I'm not even halfway done :(

Fixed.

But seriously mine downloaded in 3 mins, so it could be on your end

Deadstar

My copy arrived!

I have a few things to do and then I'll [finally] begin with the Monster Hunting!

I've already decided on T10, so I've learned what I need to do.

• Disconnect my Wii U from the Internet [unplug modem]
  • Set the Wii U's Time to 12:12 AM and Date to 21/1/12
  • Begin Stopwatch as soon as I "confirm" the Time/Date
  • Start up Monster Hunter and wait to hit "New Game" until the stopwatch reads 2min, 43~45 seconds
  • Once character is created, I can once again connect my Wii U online and change the Time/Date back to what it's supposed to be
  • Proceed as normal until I use the fishing method to confirm that I got T10 as I wanted

It seems like a decent amount of work, I hope it will be worth it.

What is the whole purpose of this? What is T10?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, I'm happy with it. The visuals are fine, except the font is terribly scaled. The controls might be a bigger issue. I have a CPP, but I tried playing without it and I couldn't get used to the digital D-pad.

So with the CPP XL it would be better, yeah?

Game is now Downloaded! i'll sit down and play this tonight after i'm done raiding in EVERQUEST! haha yes i still raid end game in that with a good guild.. we have 54 members online nightly. Game's engine is sooo old but the gameplay mechanics that made it great years ago still exist today!

MH 3 will get lots of playtime over the coming months i'm sure. Looking forward to getting back into it!

Kouriozan

You know, about the charm table, even if you get the one you want, you'll need an insane amount of luck (or time :p) to get what you want.
If you don't know what's a charm table, it's probably better to ignore it.

Filth

instead of playing the wii u version ill just wait for the app later tonight and continue with my 3ds save. captured azuros in like 5 minutes on my first attempt AWWWWWWW YEAHHHHHHHHH

BooJoh

If you know how to put your Wii U in the DMZ, it can greatly increase download speeds. Wish Nintendo would give us port forwarding info.

It took me about 4-5 hours for download + install + patch on a fairly mediocre fiber connection.

Lucid07

Quick question on the when to start the stop watch part. When you are in the system settings and you click the confirm button there are then 2 more prompts saying something something "are you sure", something something "changing your time could effect things".

So do you start the stop watch after you OK those extra prompts or do you still do it when you click the first confirm?

Try this yet? If not I'll have a look later.

kidko

Txt from wife:

Look what's waiting for you at home:
JUTgDqr.jpg

Didn't pre-order, going to video game store at 8am on friday morning in hopes I can pick up a wii u mh3u bundle.

Sold my 360 for this.

I am ready.

kenjisalk

This is my first Monster Hunter.

When the eff am I going to get to save my progress? I just did all the tedious tutorial stuff (just finished the fishing hunt tutorial) and still seem to not be able to save.

Am I missing something?

CHusson91

Banned
I bought the game off of the eShop (3DS) today thinking I'd love it; I just can't get into it. The controls seem clunky, the blurry text gives me a headache, and the gathering missions are boring as sin.

I'm moving to Japan this summer and wanted to get into it because a lot of my friends there are in love with the series. Unfortunately, I'm regretting my purchase.

Regardless, have fun guys!

Raide

Damn this is hard. I am sitting with an order page open for the premium system and I just cannot click it. Still really unsure if I should just grab the basic and use my external HDD to make up for storage space, or just suck it up an get premium.

This is my first Monster Hunter.

When the eff am I going to get to save my progress? I just did all the tedious tutorial stuff (just finished the fishing hunt tutorial) and still seem to not be able to save.

Am I missing something?

You can save by sleeping in the bed in your hut.

kenjisalk

You can save by sleeping in the bed in your hut.

The village is "almost done with hut repairs" but I just slept in the bed. Does it give you a prompt that your progress was saved when you sleep or is it just an understood thing?

I'm afraid to shut this thing off until I get confirmation.

The village is "almost done with hut repairs" but I just slept in the bed. Does it give you a prompt that your progress was saved when you sleep or is it just an understood thing?

It's been I while since I last played in the village but there should be an option to save when you select your bed. Anyway, when you quit your game there should also be a promt that asks you if you want to save your progres.

Peru

I bought the game off of the eShop (3DS) today thinking I'd love it; I just can't get into it. The controls seem clunky, the blurry text gives me a headache, and the gathering missions are boring as sin.

I'm moving to Japan this summer and wanted to get into it because a lot of my friends there are in love with the series. Unfortunately, I'm regretting my purchase.

Regardless, have fun guys!

Giving up after introduction missions that don't represent the game at all seems very fickle. It's not really what the game is about, just makes you aware of some mechanics of the game. When you start to master the weapons against actual big monsters it won't seem clunky. Give it time, try out the actual meat of the game.

The bed in your house in the village that is, not out in the field.

Doorman

Assuming it functions the same way it did back in Tri, when you approach the bed you'll have the option to save, or to sleep, but if what I heard is right and they changed the way you manage day/night cycles in this game compared to Tri, then saving is probably the only thing the bed really does anymore.

Otherwise, you would have the option to save whenever you selected to quit back to the main menu, and IIRC it auto-saves after you complete any quest, also.

Emitan

There is an option when you select new game for the classic hud or the improved touch screen hud. I'd wager somewhere in the control options of the main menu you can change that.

I've checked everywhere and unless I'm blind I cannot find a way to put HUD elements back on the TV. I've basically done nothing so I could just create a new character but this is silly.

muu

I've checked everywhere and unless I'm blind I cannot find a way to put HUD elements back on the TV. I've basically done nothing so I could just create a new character but this is silly.

If I recall correctly, when you remove it from the bottom screen it'll repopulate itself up top.

I havent tried the Wii U version yet, but I'll try my best to explain how the 3DS version works.

The lower screen shows all your health bars and such, right? If you remove those elements from the lower screen and turn the HUD on in the options, they will appear on the TV screen.
So you can have your map on the gamepad and your health/stamina bars on the TV.

Looks like failing to disable auto power down has ensured my first day hunting will be tomorrow. If you guys could just stop playing until I get the game that would be great. That's right, just turn it off until I can enjoy the game too. It's only fair. You wouldn't want to be one of those entitled gamer types would you!? You just think about that for a sec while I stare at my download status bar some more. I think it helps if I stare at it.

I figured the big download would prevent me from playing day1 especially since I did not have much time to play today to begin with. Have fun you lucky hunters and hope to see some of you tomorrow.

Emitan

If I recall correctly, when you remove it from the bottom screen it'll repopulate itself up top.

I havent tried the Wii U version yet, but I'll try my best to explain how the 3DS version works.

The lower screen shows all your health bars and such, right? If you remove those elements from the lower screen and turn the HUD on in the options, they will appear on the TV screen.
So you can have your map on the gamepad and your health/stamina bars on the TV.
Oh wow thanks! I would never have guessed that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I couldn't do it - I bought the XL, MH, Fire Emblem, and the new Castlevania for $300 ($260 after price adjustment). The U looks cool, but even talking to the sales associate, the U just doesn't have enough for me yet. Ready to start hunting though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom