• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

So you can post screenshots in Miiverse? I haven't actually gotten past the main menu on Wii U (waiting on the transfer tool) but it didn't give me screenshot options and I saw others complaining that you couldn't .

You can't post screens. I just drew it. Poorly.

Ok guys! I just had my first 1 1/2 hrs into MH and I have some obnoxious noob questions i'd love answered if you don't mind :D

1.) is it really worth spending money on armor/weapons or is it better spent on resources and gear, like pickaxes?

2) Do you automatically leanr new combinations for items or do you have to purchase those combo books to get new recipes?

3) is there a way to see what drops what resource? So, for example, I really want 'bone' to make a bone kris, but I can't seem to find that yet.

4) Is it worth selling stuff you loot? It seems to me that honey is super valuable (to make large pots), but are these other things, like this fish thing i got, just trash to sell? How do i know what's trash to sell?

I think that's it! :D

I like it. 3ds version. I wish the resolution was sharper but its a upgrade from the Wii one. Is the Wii U version much sharper like a night and day difference?

I love how you can transfer saves. And playing without 2nd analog isn't so bad. The lock on makes up for it. And wish circle pad pro for xl came to the states. :(

Teknoman

Ok guys! I just had my first 1 1/2 hrs into MH and I have some obnoxious noob questions i'd love answered if you don't mind :D

1.) is it really worth spending money on armor/weapons or is it better spent on resources and gear, like pickaxes?

2) Do you automatically leanr new combinations for items or do you have to purchase those combo books to get new recipes?

3) is there a way to see what drops what resource? So, for example, I really want 'bone' to make a bone kris, but I can't seem to find that yet.

4) Is it worth selling stuff you loot? It seems to me that honey is super valuable (to make large pots), but are these other things, like this fish thing i got, just trash to sell? How do i know what's trash to sell?

1.) Invest more in armor and weapons (mostly forging unless you see something really good in the store to use as a base, or you cant make it yet). You can mostly combine things to make pickaxes and so on.

2.) You only learn a combo by experimenting. Books only help the success rate go up.

4.) Most of the sell only items will say for trading in bulk or have little notes about pocket change. After awhile you'll have your SP farm in Moga Village up and running, so alot of this stuff will flow freely in no time.

Ken

1)Spend money and time on armor/weapons when you feel like you need it or hit a wall. Pickaxes and nets are pretty cheap so don't fret about them.

2)You don't need books, just make stuff. You can find combination lists on the MH Wiki.

3) Wiki or the Brady guide.

4. Keep your loot. Everything has a use. A lot of the fishes are used to make ammo for bowguns. IIRC money isn't a big problem later in the game with a little farm manipulation.

jwhit28

1. You can make any weapon or armor that is in the shop. So it comes down to would you rather hoard the components or the money.

2. You learn combinations by doing them. The books make the combos less likely to turn into junk.

3. Nope, just explore or I guess use a guide. Bones are in bone piles.

4. Money is an issue early on but generally try to keep monster parts for armor and weapons later. Stuff like honey, well if you found it once, you can find it usually at the same place. When you get your farm and boats really moving money can become a non-issue. You know what you don't need after testing the combinations and seeing what you don't use.

This is just how I play...and I'm an idiot. Use money for gathering resources. Use bits to make gear.

In the past...you had to discover them. I believe some are pre-loaded with this game however. Experiment. I usually go through a combo-discovery session each time I go up a new tier of quests.

Monster Hunter wikis will help with that but I don't like using them. Monster Hunter is really rewarding for those that want to experience a sense of discovery. So...discover.

I don't sell anything until I know what it combos into and even then I wait until I have around forty or fifty of something before I consider selling a few.

SOME things are meant for selling however. It's pretty obvious however once you find them.

Spy

Is it possible this game could come to another console or is it a permanent exclusive? I have a Wii U but I'm asking because I don't want to buy this game and then a superior version comes out on a next-gen console.

muu

Got table 10 set up and running! Anyone want to try online for a bit? Set up a room at Free play 03 lobby 10 'newbiegaf' password 'gaf'

1) Always have resources and gear. Armor is all about the skills it offers, the defense is much less important. Personally, I probably won't swap out of Leather until the midway. I like my fast resource gathering and whim, haha. It saves me money!

2) You learn them. Combo books enhance your combination rate, they don't teach you combos.

3) No. It's usually pretty easy to figure out where things come from, though. Bones, for example, come from the piles of bones you see around on the ground.

4) Unless the game specifically says the item is only worth selling, it has a use somewhere. That doesn't mean you want to use it, but that's how you know. I keep everything and only sell when I'm desperate.

Jelly of everyone playing this game... Damn defective disc ruined my night.
I know how that feels - my sympathies.

Is it possible this game could come to another console or is it a permanent exclusive? I have a Wii U but I'm asking because I don't want to buy this game and then a superior version comes out on a next-gen console.
Why would anyone here know the answer to that? All I can say is that many people hopes Tri would get ported, and it didn't.

1) Always have resources and gear. Armor is all about the skills it offers, the defense is much less important. Personally, I probably won't swap out of Leather until the midway. I like my fast resource gathering and whim, haha. It saves me money!

Can you elaborate on this? I've kind of just been going off defense for my first set.

Pineconn

Man, this game is easy. I've dropped Great Jaggi and Arzuros in less than five minutes... but maybe it's my experience from Tri.

Oh well, bring on the Peco!

Fewr

Ok, I checked my fishing haul in the table, and got redirected to the japanese version wherein I see a table in which the row marked 1 has an x in all columns. Does this mean I landed on table 1? If so, is it a good table? (I know it's not cursed, I just want to know how good it is).

Thanks

muu

Ok, guess either no one is ready to jump in or they're all already playing. Closing my room down.

Can you elaborate on this? I've kind of just been going off defense for my first set.

Start off with a jaggi set since it has good attack bonuses. Iit doesn't do a whole lot to take 45 damage instead of 50 -- you're going to want to heal when you get the chance either way.

Pineconn

Ok, I checked my fishing haul in the table, and got redirected to the japanese version wherein I see a table in which the row marked 1 has an x in all columns. Does this mean I landed on table 1? If so, is it a good table? (I know it's not cursed, I just want to know how good it is).

Thanks

It means you dun goofed. Double check to make sure that you put in the correct fish and the quantity. You should get circles in possible tables within the row. I had one circle in T10 and X's in the rest, so I know I'm on table 10.

Monster Hunter is a lot like old action games. You aren't supposed to be tanking hits and trying to "out DPS" the boss. You're supposed to be smart and tactical in your approach, minimizing the damage you take while optimizing what you put out. If you're new to the game, you're getting hit a lot: that's normal. When you get good at the game, though, you will get hit 2-3 times per hunt at max. So what is your defense doing for you there? Nothing.

Instead, you could focus on an armor set that boosts your damage output. Maybe this set also has good defense (it usually does), but the point is that defense is not your end goal. It's gravy. If you get armor skills that let you do your job better, you get hit less.

Example 1:
My Hammer set in Tri had:
HG Earplugs
Sharpness +1
Evasion +2

HG Earplugs make me immune to monster roars. That's a free pound on the head. Sharpness +1 adds not just to damage, but KO damage (faster knockout times). Evasion +2 lets me roll through pretty much anything, which means I can be more aggressive and "in the monster's face" than I would be able to otherwise. Less time positioning, etc. All of these skills help me maximize my ability to KO the monster faster and more often.

Example 2:
My Great Sword set in Tri had:
Attack Up (L)
Critical Draw
Sharpness +1

Great Swords are hit-and-run weapons. You pull it out, WHAM, sheathe, and then look for another good pot shot. They are not about sustained DPS, like Long Swords. Critical Draw makes all attacks that come out of a sheathed stance auto-critical. This damage adds up. Sharpness +1 and Attack Up (L) further maximize damage; basically, every snipe with a Great Sword hurts the monster like hell. This makes the monster topple more often, which lets teammates break parts and KO/paralyze it, which means more big hits for you and more topples. It's a wonderful train that keeps on giving once the monster goes down once.

I hope that helps explain why armor skills are so important in this game. Whether I have 300 or 400 defense on my Great Sword doesn't matter, because I'm not getting hit as long as I play the game right. The damage always makes a difference, though.

Garou

This game was basically released on 5 different devices already: Wii, PSP, PS3, 3DS and Wii U. This is the end of the road, since MH4 will be released on 3DS this summer in Japan.

Mondriaan

The online hub is ugly. I don't know why they had to change it. I'm too tired to try to figure out how they re-arranged everything. Ugh ugh ugh. I'm going to bed. Charm table 2 or 8. Could be better, but could be a lot worse, so now I'll live with it. Whatever.

Eteric Rice

This game was basically released on 5 different devices already: Wii, PSP, PS3, 3DS and Wii U. This is the end of the road, since MH4 will be released on 3DS this summer in Japan.

This one specifically was only on Wii (original version, anyway), Wii U, and 3DS.

I suspect Nintendo has this game pretty locked down.

Fewr

It means you dun goofed. Double check to make sure that you put in the correct fish and the quantity. You should get circles in possible tables within the row. I had one circle in T10 and X's in the rest, so I know I'm on table 10.

Ah ok, I got this now. How do I narrow it down?
XzMTXTC.png

EDIT: ok, I have to do more fishing trips and report the results.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This one specifically was only on Wii (original version, anyway), Wii U, and 3DS.

Portable 3rd was also based on Tri and was released on PSP and PS3 (HD Ver.) It had new monsters and areas and removed water combat, but it was still Tri-based.

Is Portable 3rd completely different? I assumed it was the half step between Tri and 3G U.

Portable 3rd was also based on Tri and was released on PSP and PS3 (HD Ver.) It had new monsters and areas and removed water combat, but it was still Tri-based.

yeah that's what I thought

Once in a lifetime event occurred on the subway just now.

So I'm playing MH3U on my way back from work and I just capturing R.Lud. When this guy taps my shoulder and he's holding his 3DS sayng, "I'm sorry to bother you, but I just got that game. I'm creating my character right now."
So after he is done creating his character, we sit on the subway questing together for a little while. It was awesome. I hope it happens again, but I doubt it will.

dubq

Judging by my fish/fleet results, and if I'm understanding those results.. There was an "o" in Table 1 for me.. The rest all had x's. So, I'm happy with that result. :)

Satch

Banned
that quest with the wyvern eggs is fucking hilarious

i couldnt even be mad when it roared and made me drop the egg i was carrying and then proceeded to kill me

stolin

Wait, did people get codes with this? Is this another situation where Canada didn't get CN codes for whatever reason, or did I just get unlucky?

Did anyone get a Club Nintendo code for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Wii U retail ? Mine did not have one... but my Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3DS has one. Also in Canada if it makes a difference..

Eusis

Did anyone get a Club Nintendo code for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Wii U retail ? Mine did not have one... but my Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3DS has one. Also in Canada if it makes a difference..
It'll either auto register when you play on Wii U while online, or you're not getting anything. No one reported one with the Wii U version.
But 3G is a portable game?
Maybe he really means the PSP games.

Player 2 needs to join Player 1's quest, not start a separate quest. Check the message board post next to the quest giver and sign up.
ah I didn't even know that the quest board was a thing.. For such a fucking verbose tutorial it definitely left out some important shit.

Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom