• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's half past A NEW QUEST!

Guild Girl never fails to make me
AMzq9lr.gif

Tremis

This man does his research.
Played for 30ish hours, then decided to check my table. 15.

Ah well, I don't think I'll have time to get into this one to any degree that it will matter anyway, so cursed table club it is!

Teknoman

Ok, guess either no one is ready to jump in or they're all already playing. Closing my room down.

Start off with a jaggi set since it has good attack bonuses. Iit doesn't do a whole lot to take 45 damage instead of 50 -- you're going to want to heal when you get the chance either way.

I'm just going around doing all the early Moga village set up stuff first. I want to at least do one big hunt and have a monster set of armor/weapon before I go online.

Also its good to just post when you create a room, even if its on our official room/server/whatever.

TheExodu5

Banned
The game is awesome. So nice to be able to play it in HD now. This will keep me busy for a long while.

A bit disappointed by the unlocked framerate. The performance is pretty erratic...one scene it's well over 40fps and the next it's well under 30fps (area 5 in Moga Woods is a killer). The worst part is that the camera controls actually slow down or speed up depending on the framerate, so it feels pretty uneven. Not a complete killer, but it's a bit disappointing.

Once in a lifetime even occurred on the subway just now.

So I'm playing MH3U on my way back from work and I just capturing R.Lud. When this guy taps my shoulder and he's holding his 3DS sayng, "I'm sorry to bother you, but I just got that game. I'm creating my character right now."
So after he is done creating his character, we sit on the subway questing together for a little while. It was awesome. I hope it happens again, but I doubt it will.

Stahhhp, I'm only buying one version of the game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think I am starting to notice a bit of lag when playing with the GamePad. It feels like I can't roll in situations I think I would, based on playing Tri a lot lately. Will need to play the 3DS version to know for sure.

Troblin

Regarding the charm tables.

Do you start the countdown from the point you hit

1)"ok" on the date/clock change

or

2) the point that you confirm the date/clock change (note after you hit "ok, a dialog box pops up asking if you want to confirm the date/clock change as it may affect the settings in some games).

I just want to know if im doing okay as a beginner:

-I have completely collected the Jaggi Set. (added +stun resistance)
-Upgraded the Bone Hammer to the Bone Bludgeon. I really want to get the Attack plus decoration to increase this set's attack bonus. I desperately need a Might Seed.
-Completed all the way up the 3 star quests in single player.
-Completed all the way up 2 star quests in multiplayer.

Just wondering what armor set I should get after the Jaggi set... decisions...

Doorman

Man, this game is easy. I've dropped Great Jaggi and Arzuros in less than five minutes... but maybe it's my experience from Tri.

Oh well, bring on the Peco!

I've felt kind of the same way in the early goings so far. Either the equipment you get at the start of this is overpowered compared to Tri, or I swear the monster healths have been reduced, even in the offline mode. My first shot ever against the Arzuros and he was limping within like two or three minutes, and it felt like I hadn't even been that aggressive against him (using the gunlance). I think I've used like one first-aid med during the whole course of like five Arzuros fights and probably six or seven Great Jaggi. Maybe they wanted to shorten fight times thanks to 3G's original portable nature? I dunno, but it feels like I'm blowing through the early progression a lot faster than I did in Tri.

Abandond

Ok game hates me, waited for music to end, still got rare. Waited an extra second or so after the song ended a second time, burnt.

Ken

I just want to know if im doing okay as a beginner:

-I have completely collected the Jaggi Set. (added +stun resistance)
-Upgraded the Bone Hammer to the Bone Bludgeon. I really want to get the Attack plus decoration to increase this set's attack bonus. I desperately need a Might Seed.
-Completed all the way up the 3 star quests in single player.
-Completed all the way up 2 star quests in multiplayer.

Just wondering what armor set I should get after the Jaggi set... decisions...

I'm still in the starting outfit and I'm on the level 5 quests lol.

Transfer app up yet? Or was the community rep person being misleading. :(

Just took down Great Jaggi for the first time, did it in about 5 minutes. It took me way longer my first time in Tri, so I suppose I've improved somehow (I put Tri down after the NA announcement for Ultimate).

Now to grind for the armor.

NMFried

Is this a good place in the series to jump in?
I want to take advantage of Target's B2G1 sale so I was going to grab Ocarina, Theathrythm, and this.

Ok game hates me, waited for music to end, still got rare. Waited an extra second or so after the song ended a second time, burnt.

"Waited an extra second...or so"

If it's more than a second you're waiting too long.

Watch for the colour change after the song ends. It's pretty obvious if you're looking for it.

Alchemy

Wife just started digging into the 3DS version, I've already cleared the tutorial stuff. Looking forward to some co-op adventuring!

Fewr

Does this mean I got table 9?
pFKHbVG.png

EDIT: No good for blades? ):
http://www.capcom-unity.com/monster...ster-way-to-get-the-charm-table-you-want?pg=4
Familar Stranger via GameFAQS made an updated post on the charms list. This one is supposed to be more accurate as it seems he has a better grasp of the Japanese language.

------

A more accurate version of the table koyori posted:

T1: Contains a nice balance of Blademaster and Gunner charms with high stats/many slots, but lacks good Awakening charms and doesn't excel at any one thing.

T2: Feels like an inferior version of T1. Lacks any amazing charms unique to this table, not much to talk about.

T3: All-purpose table. Especially rich in good evasion charms, but has the possibility for many skill setups with a Handicraft +4 OOO charm (with Sharpener -3).

T4: Good for Blademasters. Has the most charms suited for Lancers, but also contains a Handicraft +4 OOO charm and is good for other Blademasters as well.

T5: Good Evasion Distance and Earplug charms, great for Switch Axe and Heavy Bowgun users. Most of the good charms are Dragon Talismans though, so grinding for them may be a chore.

T6: Leaning towards Blademasters. Has both Handicraft +5 OO and Handicraft +4 OOO. Contains great charms for Evasion and Awakening with other useful skills.

T7: Most plentiful in Evasion charms. If you want Evasion +2 regardless of your weapon, this table has good unique charms.

T8: Above average Evasion and Guard type charms, but slightly lacking in other areas. Its Dragon Talismans tend to be good.

T9: Somewhat geared towards Gunners. Has plenty of charms with a gunner skill combined with Attack +10 or Expert +10. Does have excellent charms for Blademasters but its Handicraft charms are the worst of all tables.

T:10 Extremely good charms that combine Handicraft with another skill, such as Handicraft +5 Free Element +7. Is also plentiful in Edgemaster charms and probably gives the highest possible power with pretty much any Blademaster weapon. It does seem to be somewhat lacking in Good Evasion distance charms.

T13: No unique godly charm, but does have a wide variety of good charms in most areas.

T:14 Slightly geared towards Blademasters. Many great charms such as Sharpness +4 Free Element +7 and Handicraft +4 Expert +10. Rapid Fire +5 Expert +10 is great for Light Gunners as well.

Keep in mind this information was written months ago (maybe as early as February 2012), and the general consensus may have changed.

--------

of particular interest to me is what Familiar translates on table 5, "Most of the good charms are Dragon Talismans though, so grinding for them may be a chore." this is something that people need to keep in mind. Even if you get on a table you want it's still going to be hell getting thecharms you want in most cases.

Yep.

Regarding the charm tables.

Do you start the countdown from the point you hit

1)"ok" on the date/clock change

or

2) the point that you confirm the date/clock change (note after you hit "ok, a dialog box pops up asking if you want to confirm the date/clock change as it may affect the settings in some games).

Doorman

Is this a good place in the series to jump in?
I want to take advantage of Target's B2G1 sale so I was going to grab Ocarina, Theathrythm, and this.

It's probably the best jumping-in point that the series has had. The tutorial eases you into the mechanics of gathering, crafting, gradually working you from fighting small monsters into larger ones, then it brings in capturing and different hunting grounds. After that point things start to open up a lot, and as a bonus you start with one of every weapon type (unlike Tri), so you can freely experiment and find a play style that suits you.

That said, it's still a unique and complex series, with a pretty notable learning curve. This may be the easiest Monster Hunter to get into yet, but that won't make it as easy as a lot of other modern games.

Abandond

"Waited an extra second...or so"

If it's more than a second you're waiting too long.

Watch for the colour change after the song ends. It's pretty obvious if you're looking for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF2bVwxKv3k

And I am now out of space.

Keep trying. You'll figure it out. Watch for the colour change AFTER the song ends. It's as straight forward as that.

Alright, yeah. Got it finally. It's very hard to see, might be my brightness being too low. Wish I could change it without leaving game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"Quit Game" -> "Be sure to save or your progress will be lost!" -> Confirm -> "Save game?"

Ridley327

Also, I managed to get rolled into table 8 with my first catch. All that matters is that it wasn't a cursed table, so I'm good with this character forever now.

Hooray for no fuss!

Fewr

I think I'll stick to my table 9 even though I don't plan to use guns. I'm not a min/max person, so I'll take your advice that I shouldn't give it much importance.

Ridley327

So... What are tables? :|

They're kinda like Section IDs in Phantasy Star Online, but a fair bit more obtuse. The reason why people care about them so much now is that there's five of the twenty tables that can impact some of the stuff that you're able to find, which makes crafting certain pieces of equipment a virtual impossibility.

Ignore them. They are used to min/max out your skills. It makes a marginal difference and won't affect the usability of your equipment.

I wish it had never been brought up by some of the people here. Conversely I wish Capcom had a smart reason for doing it the way they did.

Eteric Rice

They're kinda like Section IDs in Phantasy Star Online, but a fair bit more obtuse. The reason why people care about them so much now is that there's five of the twenty tables that can impact some of the stuff that you're able to find, which makes crafting certain pieces of equipment a virtual impossibility.

Are they a thing that you get when you roll a character? Or is it per weapon?

I selected show UI stuff on the gamepad, which is awesome for single player, but how do I change it for when I go online?

Edit: oh shit. Wow. It changes whats on screen based on what you stick on the pad. Amazing.

Now if only I could SWAP ZL/ZR and L/R instead of just copy L/R.

tenchir

So by process of elimination, I looked for 3 charms I got from multiplayer and compared it to the tables in Athena's program. Found out that I am not on any of the 5 cursed table and that is all I care about.

Ridley327

Secret best feature of the game so far: being able to pump the game audio through the GamePad, making late night playing 100% viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom