• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfdoom

Downloaded my copy last nite (took about 4hrs including installation). Playing off a HD, the loading is sooo fast I luv it! also the ability to place all items on pad leaving the game screen clean is awesome! Trying to not stay up all nite playing is gonna be tough :(

I'm more interested/optimistic in how it will do in a market like Germany.
Same here.

We know it's not going to chart well in the US, too many popular games in March. MH is a game to OWN if you have a 3DS / Wii U, so hopefully people keep buying it for years to come. Having the digital version on eShop is a great thing.

We need that MH4, and eventually MH5.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look made me want to start playing this game right now. Good thing spring break is right around the corner for me!

JKTrix

Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look, it's pretty good. Patrick got the beginner's guide so he explains some things effectively, and discovers new things while he plays and is very enthusiastic. Vinny is into it too.

creid

sooo any NPD predictions peeps?
Given the number of "I went to my Target and they only had [x] copies and I got the last one!" stories in this thread, pretty low. Doesn't sound like retailers expected much from it & ordered accordingly. Hopefully those who couldn't get it went digital.

tengiants

Nice. I was able to get T10 on the first try for both my wife and I on both the 3DS and Wii U. Since the translated Japanese I was reading to do this wasn't very descriptive, I'll post about my experience.

I used the Clock app on an iPhone for the stopwatch. I also left wifi ON for both devices. Instructions say to turn it off but I did not do this on either device and still got T10s.

For the Wii U, launch Monster Hunter first to download the update then quit out. Set the date to 1/21/2012 and the time to 12:12 AM (this is for T10). What's important here is that you get a confirmation screen on the Wii U after the time is set. Press start on your stopwatch at the same you confirm at the confirmation screen. Enter the game and hover the cursor over new game. When the stopwatch hits 2:43:00 just press A on the controller and that should be it.

For the 3DS, just set the date to 1/21/2012 and the time to 00:12. The important thing to note here is that you don't get a confirmation screen on the 3DS. You need to to start the stopwatch with when you click the OK button after setting the time. Once the time is set, start the game and hover over new game until 2:43:00.

I then used a combination of the two sites posted earlier to check which table I was in. The English site doesn't work most of the time and it's faster to use the Japanese one even though you have to translation by inference.

http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/
http://www.hayasoft.com/chisamin/mh3g/tsearch.cgi

Enter your results from your fish runs from left to right (as displayed in the game). Use a fish finder and wait the two days if you have one since it will narrow your results significantly.

Hope this helps. It wasn't nearly as frustrating as I thought it was going to be.

Boogdud

So just wondering, does disabling 3D from the options menu have any impact on the performance? I've done so, but can't find any difference.

Yes, it improves the framerate a good 10+. Not sure how you wouldn't notice that, it's noticeably smoother on my 3dsxl. Try scrolling the camera around or equipping a fast weapon.

B-Dex

Does someone have a link to a weapon chart with pictures? The wikia has a nice table of the weapons but I can't see pics there. Or if they are there I have no idea how to see them.

Yes, it improves the framerate a good 10+. Not sure how you wouldn't notice that, it's noticeably smoother on my 3dsxl. Try scrolling the camera around or equipping a fast weapon.
Ah, well I'm still in the beginning quests - I noticed that it was just as smooth when I had it enabled, which is why I was wondering if it had an effect at all.

Orayn

Given the number of "I went to my Target and they only had [x] copies and I got the last one!" stories in this thread, pretty low. Doesn't sound like retailers expected much from it & ordered accordingly. Hopefully those who couldn't get it went digital.

My local Target was out of Wii U copies and $20 point cards, which made me hopeful.

oh god im about to fight the great jaggi for the first time
Should be easy =P, just make sure that you don't fully concentrate on the big one that you'll get knocked down by the smaller ones and the the Great Jaggi attacks you when you're stunned XD. And don't be afraid to leave the area to recover/catch your breath.

Hopped online last night with 3 random people. I am left kind of lukewarm on it.

I think I’ve realized I just don’t like playing with random people. Not in some elitist sense but in that, due to the fact I tend to be very self-conscious, I can’t relax and enjoy myself. I constantly feel like I need to perform up to a certain level so the others aren’t annoyed I’m wasting a valuable player slot. I get self-conscious every time I hit another player with my arrows, which I didn’t even think I was doing a lot until someone last night shouted “uhg, friggan arrows!” which made me instantly feel like crud. They were nice guys but at that point I stopped enjoying myself.

When I’m with friends it’s ton of fun. If I die two times we just laugh. If I peg them in the back with arrows 100 times or they launch me 100 times we laugh. If I see a clear opening for Arrow Rain and I take it, and happen to hit my friend who ran up quicker than I expected it’s no big deal.

I think even if I were to play with a GAF group, I’d need to have some really good dialog going with the group before I’d feel comfortable enough to just relax and have fun regardless of what happens.

DaBoss

Since NPD combines all versions, and since YoY is down pretty deplorably, I think it might have a shot.

What else is coming out this month?

Both GOWs, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Tomb Raider, Starcraft, & Bioshock Infinite are the only big ones I can think of.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hopped online last night with 3 random people. I am left kind of lukewarm on it.

I think I’ve realized I just don’t like playing with random people. Not in some elitist sense but in that, due to the fact I tend to be very self-conscious, I can’t relax and enjoy myself. I constantly feel like I need to perform up to a certain level so the others aren’t annoyed I’m wasting a valuable player slot. I get self-conscious every time I hit another player with my arrows, which I didn’t even think I was doing a lot until someone last night shouted “uhg, friggan arrows!” which made me instantly feel like crud. They were nice guys but at that point I stopped enjoying myself.

When I’m with friends it’s ton of fun. If I die two times we just laugh. If I peg them in the back with arrows 100 times or they launch me 100 times we laugh. If I see a clear opening for Arrow Rain and I take it, and happen to hit my friend who ran up quicker than I expected it’s no big deal.

I think even if I were to play with a GAF group, I’d need to have some really good dialog going with the group before I’d feel comfortable enough to just relax and have fun regardless of what happens.

These things will happen with friends or with randoms. You sort of have to go into it knowing that. As a Lancer, I found myself playing much more aggressively online back in Tri because my friends or the randoms I'd play with using GS or something would be up in the monster's face. You have to change how you think when you play online, and you simply cannot avoid hitting your team mates sometimes.

Dying sucks, and it sucks to be the one that dies, but it happens. You're probably more prone to dying online because the monster has a very different mentality when faced by 2+ hunters. Solo, he may leap at you, run around you, launch projectiles, etc. In a group, you may get leaped at, notice he focuses someone else when running, but it turns out he actually positioned to projectile you anyways (which you weren't prepared for given the fact that he didn't appear to focus you). It's a very different style of play online (which I'm sure you already knew).

Don't let the idea of randoms/GAF/friends deter you from the awesome co-op experience of hunting, though. Brush off the bizarre shit that happens and laugh about it no matter what!

Fistwell

My European copy arrived! :)
;_;

So since I dont really have anything better to do I checked out the Miiverse community. LOL!
There's a dude complaining the game is "so hard bro, I did this quest where they told me to either survive 50 minutes or use some ticket-something which I didn't have. WTF. I mean, I survived, but that took FOREVER MAN."

I'm also going all Cacpcom shill on the community. And I don't even get paid for it. ;_;

o it only took me five minutes

i think he was new to the game too :p
New, but also oh so whiny. >_<
Started out trying to help him, ended up telling him to just play something else.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
oh god im about to fight the great jaggi for the first time

Just watch the hip check. It's really the only move that can do decent damage. And never be afraid to run away to heal, sharpen, etc. You can always go back to camp to sleep to restore full health as well.

edit: Haha, you already beat him. Good job.

muu

I had no problem getting T10 on the WiiU w/o turning off wifi. My guess is that's got more to do w/ the system auto-adjusting time... you're probably going to be alright long as you check afterwards and make sure the system didn't change the time back to the right spot. Also would be wise to time it for X:44, that way you get a 1sec buffer on both ends.

Mupod

Maan I want to watch that QL. But I want to play during my lunch break. Maybe I can do gathering quests or something while watching it.

Gonna face Barroth now. :)

Got my War Hammer ready.

He's kind of a sissy now.

Is Marathon Runner important for Dual Swords?

Used to be great for them but not something you'd get over element atk up or sharp sword. It's probably still good, maybe even better since they made demonize use up dash juice faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom