• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filth

Monster Fluids and Insect parts where you have to poison bomb them are always the worst stuff to farm. :(

Just read if you go to the tundra map there's a cave with an egg sack. You don't kill the egg sack and you let the mini Gigi's spawn and they have a chance of dropping it. Unlimited spawn

Time to take a little lunch break, after which I think I'm finally about ready to head online and get started on those early quests.

Incidentally, anybody know an easy way to find some adamant seeds? I'm trying to create a few more defense jewels but I'm totally out at the moment.
*opens guide*

Low Rank
Flooded Forest, Area 1, Grass
Flooded Forest, Area 2, 7, Fruit

And other areas in Tundra, Volcano, etc. It's a rare collect item though.

You can also go to Tanzia Port and buy from the granny, she changes her wares everyday.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
*opens guide*

Low Rank

You can also go to Tanzia Port and buy from the granny, she changes her wares everyday.

I want that guide so hard.

Hiltz

Time to take a little lunch break, after which I think I'm finally about ready to head online and get started on those early quests.

Incidentally, anybody know an easy way to find some adamant seeds? I'm trying to create a few more defense jewels but I'm totally out at the moment.

If the gathering spots are still like MH Tri's, then try areas 1, 2, and 7 of Flooded Forest, areas 1 and 7 of Frozen Tundra as well as areas 1, 6, and 8 of Volcano map.

Coins

Banned
This is my first MH experience and I have to admit I'm a little overwhelmed. My item box is filling up from quest rewards. I try to combine stuff and some of it works but most of it doesn't. My only goal just seems to be doing more quests.

Doorman

*opens guide*

Low Rank

If the gathering spots are still like MH Tri's, then try areas 1, 2, and 7 of Flooded Forest, areas 1 and 7 of Frozen Tundra as well as areas 1, 6, and 8 of Volcano map.

Yeah, thanks. I'd looked up the wiki from Tri earlier and started digging around the Flooded Forest, I guess I've just been unlucky that I haven't unearthed any of them yet.

Beats

I made a room at the location in the OP if anyone wants to join me right now. I've only been doing single player stuff so I'm only HR 1 at the moment.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This is my first MH experience and I have to admit I'm a little overwhelmed. My item box is filling up from quest rewards. I try to combine stuff and some of it works but most of it doesn't. My only goal just seems to be doing more quests.

Just keep pressing on until you hit that wall. It will happen. You'll go toe-to-toe against a monster that just wrecks your shit.

At that point, you can start focusing on upgrading, gathering what you NEED to succeed, and build an understanding of what items are useful always and situationally. A lot of MH is learning as you go - tips, tricks, advice, etc only get you so far in this game.

burgerdog

Just took down the great jaggi and received a couple of good crafting items, now my question is: what's the difference between mail and leather? Should I make a full set of jaggi armor? Sorry for all the questions :( Loving the game so I want to know more about it.

Pineconn

Btw, buy the Books of Combos from the shop, as keeping them in your box will increase the combination success rate [within your box]. I believe there are five, but the later ones get unlocked as you progress through the game.

You just have to learn the combinations. Looking up a list of combos might help.

Check your Combo List, some ??? are highlighted.

Combo List: http://www.mh3-ultimate.com/page/Items

Buy all Combo of Books available and store them in your item box, they raise the combination success rate.

blackflag

Mostly played offline yesterday and got up to killing Royal Ludroth.

Only played 1 online quest and killed Royal Ludroth. I broke his head easily with my ghetto hammer but the others couldn't seem to cut his tail. It took forever though. I'm not sure if it was because 2 of them were using bow and 1 was using dual swords but it was fun and no one got carted.

Offline I ended up accidentally killing the bear 3 times before capturing it. Hammer crushed him so fast. I think I killed him within like 3 minutes every time. I didn't see how it was possible I even hurt him that fast but it was lulzy.

Can't wait until this weekend when I have more time. I'll barely get to play at all today.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/20/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-save-transfer-utility-not-available-ye/

Kind of surprised people still aren't pissed off about the lack of availability of the data transfer tool for 3DS to Wii U and vice-versa save transferring.

I tipped Joystiq and they picked up the story (my first ever tip!). Hopefully now that the story is getting some media attention we'll see something more? Capcom's "response" is pretty ambiguous at the moment.
Awesome! Create a media sensation about a 24 hour delay on a transfer tool to persuade people away from buying the game. Good tip!

gryz

Banned
Please share the steps you took to play 3DS and Wii U together.

Also...congrats. :)

it's sortof explained in the wii u manual. wii u player talks to the cat and takes ferry to "multi marina/tavern" , 3ds player talks to cat and chooses "friend search" to join your game.

I think those were all the steps.

Troblin

Quick question.

Can you use the Wii classic controller and Wii U Touchpad simultaneously or is it one or the other?

I.E, use the touchpad for the touchscreen quick inventory/microphone for multiplayer and the Wii classic controller for actual gameplay.

remist

Quick question.

Can you use the Wii classic controller and Wii U Touchpad simultaneously or is it one or the other?

I.E, use the touchpad for the touchscreen quick inventory/microphone for multiplayer and the Wii classic controller for actual gameplay.

You can only control movement with one controller but the touchpad/mic can be used simultaneously.

Do they have to be in yr inventory? Should j carry all 3 or just 1 of them?
The more books you carry, the bigger the success rate, you need to carry them in order though.

Bring Combo 1 and 2, should be enough to 100% combine most basic items like Mega Potions and Traps. I wouldn't mind bringing books to a quest, unless you are planning to combine lots of ammos, coatings and bombs.

Mupod

Goddammit I got a rusted GS from the powderstone delivery quest and accidentally sold it because I wasn't sure what the hell was going on in the rewards screen.

Not that I'd even use it but still. Did they change the UI for this or is my memory just that bad?

Do they have to be in yr inventory? Should j carry all 3 or just 1 of them?

Books 1 and 2 are standard equipment for me on quests. Still sucks failing pitfall trap combines.

Awesome! Create a media sensation about a 24 hour delay on a transfer tool to persuade people away from buying the game. Good tip!

1. Joystiq running a little blurb about it is not a "media sensation." I noticed Kotaku is covering it as well, but not by my doing.

2. Save transfer was a highly touted feature. It is currently missing from the game entirely. Why? We don't know. As far as it being a "24 hour delay," I'm unsure where you're getting that info from. The only statements given by Capcom appear to be that "they're working hard" on figuring it out. Not, "it'll be up in 24 hours." There's no ETA given, and no reason why they can't give an ETA. Just a critical feature of the game missing.

3. I'm only dissuading people from buying the game if they're hoping for that feature. You might end up being right, and the tool might be released after a 24 hour delay. My point is this: I paid an extra $40 so I could have the game on my 3DS as well as Wii U, and take my save with me. I can't do that right now. Capcom/Nintendo haven't told me when I'll be able to do it yet.

MH3U is going to be a great game, I'm sure, on both Wii U and 3DS. If you're part of the minority of folks who bought both versions of the game, however, hoping to transfer saves (why else would you buy both versions?), then you probably ought to be aware you can't do it yet.

Troblin

You can only control movement with one controller but the touchpad/mic can be used simultaneously.

Thanks. So I'm guessing, start the game up with my Wii classic controller, then use the touchpad for ancilliary support?

(I played the game on my touchpad yesterday, but was thinking of transitioning)

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
played for about an hour by myself last night, no idea what i'm doing. Had fun though! killed a bunch of little monsters the mission was somethign like, stay alive for 50 min or deliver some stuff. I had no idea where to deliver it so i just killed monsters for an hour.

remist

Thanks. So I'm guessing, start the game up with my Wii classic controller, then use the touchpad for ancilliary support?

(I played the game on my touchpad yesterday, but was thinking of transitioning)

You have to change the control scheme under options in the startup menu. Unless I'm mistaken you can't change the control method in game.

Mupod

played for about an hour by myself last night, no idea what i'm doing. Had fun though! killed a bunch of little monsters the mission was somethign like, stay alive for 50 min or deliver some stuff. I had no idea where to deliver it so i just killed monsters for an hour.

Haha, I did the same thing my first time. That's a gathering quest intended to let you freely mine/fish/whatever in that particular zone. To end the mission you deliver the ticket into the red box at camp.

Chorazin

They explicitly tell you to put deliveries in the red box in your base camp....

Aphexian

I just hope they release the 3DS transfer tool soon. I don't really want to play on my 3DS because there won't be any point once I can transfer the game over. My main place to play it will be the WiiU, but I really like the ability to take it on the go.

Hiltz

Have they given a date for the gamepad patch? Have they said if that will allow co-op, one on the gamepad, one on the TV?

Capcom USA only said it would come out sometime in April. This is for adding off-TV play and cross-region online play. GamePad voice chat and USB keyboard support should be a day- one patch update.

derFeef

This will be my first MH game (thanks to GB), I am scared and excited :)
No idea about the online stuff but I may request you guys in the future to help me or something.

basically the bow weapon in the demo sold me on that game, heh.

Mupod

Can somebody explain to me what the target camera is, how it works and how to use it? Can you only use it on big monsters?

You press the little icon of the monster on the bottom screen, or whatever button it's bound to. In the demo I think it was the Wii U's ZR button which activated it.

This now changes the functionality of L from 'center behind you' to 'center on the large monster' when one of the big guys is in the area. Seems like multiple icons pop up when there's more than one around so you can choose who to focus on.

There's no point to using it on small monsters, and it'd just clutter things needlessly. But it really is a very useful addition, especially underwater.

Mupod

This will be my first MH game (thanks to GB), I am scared and excited :)
No idea about the online stuff but I may request you guys in the future to help me or something.

basically the bow weapon in the demo sold me on that game, heh.

Bows are a tough weapon to main from the get go because it'll take forever to kill anything with the default one. I'd recommend starting with something else until you have a grasp of how gunner armor/skills work and can make a decent starter bow and some coatings to go with it.

Balzenger
sheldon.jpeg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Since the Wii U patch enables support for ZL and ZR, which button configuration matches the 3DS version w/ slide pad pro installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom