• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUI. I wanna co op with you once the transfer tool is out :(

I hope the transfer tools comes out soon as well since I'd like to be able to transfer from Wii U to 3DS for on the go. Probably some time this week, hopefully? I'm always down to play online for whoever needs help.

Mupod

Nope. Gotta carry them if you want them to take effect in quests.

Same goes for Protection/Demon charms.

Yep. Choosing *exactly* what to bring with you actually becomes a pretty big deal later on. In MHFU g-rank inventory space was so important I never even brought armorcharm/armortalon.

Here's my default loadout:

20 Whetstones
10 Mega Potions
5 Mega Pickaxe
5 Mega Bugnet

I'll bring a trap with tranqs if we're capturing. Usually a cold or hot drink depending on location during G-rank. Like to keep it simple and not too loaded with stuff.

Why are you on YouTube while playing the game? Tutorials or walkthroughs?
I like having videos on in the background. And I'm still near the beginning of the game, so I'm mostly grinding resources and fighting luddy/peco/jaggi, which I can do in my sleep. @__@ I also can't go online without the transfer tool...

Oh god, this blackspear hunter is parodying Rent, this game is amazing.

chris121580

Ugh I upgraded my sword and now it's ridiculously heavy and I'm not a fan. I prefer quicker weapons. Is there a way to get a quicker weapon? Who do I purchase from? I'm at the beginning of the game working on the 1 star quests

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Haha, I did the same thing my first time. That's a gathering quest intended to let you freely mine/fish/whatever in that particular zone. To end the mission you deliver the ticket into the red box at camp.

ahh i see, i didnt buy a mining pick or a fishing trap thingy. I guess i should get those!

Also, how do i change my set up for weapons? I started with a sword and shield but wanted to try something else, do i just buy it and use it or do i have to get skills to use specific weapons?

Ugh I upgraded my sword and now it's ridiculously heavy and I'm not a fan. I prefer quicker weapons. Is there a way to get a quicker weapon? Who do I purchase from? I'm at the beginning of the game working on the 1 star quests

Wait, you can upgrade from one type of weapon to another? You're either using an entirely different weapon, I'm totally lost on a portion of the game (only played about 3/4 through Tri's offline, but I should have an idea of what I'm talking about!), or something's really weird.

SnS should be quick enough for you, but if not there's dual sword.

Mupod

Weapons are divided into weapon classes, by your description you probably accidentally upgraded a longsword into a greatsword. You can just buy another iron longsword from the lady next to the blacksmith.

If you want speed give sword and shield a try. You've probably got one in your box in your house, go to manage equipment and change it there.

chris121580

Wait, you can upgrade from one type of weapon to another? You're either using an entirely different weapon, I'm totally lost on a portion of the game (only played about 3/4 through Tri's offline, but I should have an idea of what I'm talking about!), or something's really weird.

SnS should be quick enough for you, but if not there's dual sword.

When you go to the blacksmith as part of the tutorial, they tell you to upgrade your weapon which I did and now it's huge and heavy and swings incredibly slow. I prefer to play fast. Sorry if this is an awful question, brand new to the series and it's a little overwhelming right now

You can change equipment by going to your house and checking your box, the game starts you off with one of every weapon. Try the dual swords, they're fast.

chris121580

Weapons are divided into weapon classes, by your description you probably accidentally upgraded a longsword into a greatsword. You can just buy another iron longsword from the lady next to the blacksmith.

If you want speed give sword and shield a try. You've probably got one in your box in your house, go to manage equipment and change it there.

Awesome, thanks! That helps a lot!

When you go to the blacksmith as part of the tutorial, they tell you to upgrade your weapon which I did and now it's huge and heavy and swings incredibly slow. I prefer to play fast. Sorry if this is an awful question, brand new to the series and it's a little overwhelming right now
Ooh, I see what happened, you probably upgraded the first weapon in your box that you saw, not the one you were wearing, and auto-equipped it. Try switching your equipment to another weapon.

Filth

I've never seen a weapon from one class get upgraded to a totally diff class. He prob equipped the great sword by accident.

Mupod

Ooh, I see what happened, you probably upgraded the first weapon in your box that you saw, not the one you were wearing, and auto-equipped it. Try switching your equipment to another weapon.

You know what, what you said is probably what actually happened.

But in the past (did this ever happen in Tri?) there were weapon trees that resulted in things like SnS turning into DS, greatswords into LS, lances into gunlances etc.

Just took down the great jaggi and received a couple of good crafting items, now my question is: what's the difference between mail and leather? Should I make a full set of jaggi armor? Sorry for all the questions :( Loving the game so I want to know more about it.

Most of the armor is divided up into types that are usable by "blade" (i.e. melee) or "gunner" (i.e. ranged) weapons. Often the helmet is usable by both blade and gunner but usually (maybe always?) the other armor pieces are bought or forged based on whether you will be going melee or ranged.

Gunners don't get to wear armor that is as heavy but the different armor types provide different skillsets that benefit blade or gunner.

Mupod

Last time I saw that was in MH1.

It definitely happened as late as MHFU, but since then I've kinda been lazy and hammering everything 99% of the time so I didn't pay much attention. I need to go take a look at this game's weapon trees...

Wow - the 3D effect in the 3DS version is soooo goooood. I honestly don't understand the whole deal with people supposedly never using the 3D effects on the 3DS. For me it can *really* add to the overall effect in some games.

I cannot see how some of you have gotten as far as you have. I've only just started the 3 star quests and I got the game literally at midnight release and have probably played for over 20 hours already. I am playing solo, however, and I do spend a lot of time gathering resources.

Just moved up from the default newbie leathers to jaggi armor too. Who even needs armor when you can just dodge? ;)

Just kidding - good armor definitely helps later on and the skills also help. Plus a cool looking set can make you look like a boss.

So if I'm probably not gonna end up putting more than 50 or 60 hours into the game, is there any point at all to care about the charm table/rustshard shit?

gryz

Banned
I spent about 30 minutes trying to kill one of those quick gazelle things with the greatsword, and after finally succeeding I felt like the greatsword master

Raide

So if I'm probably not gonna end up putting more than 50 or 60 hours into the game, is there any point at all to care about the charm table/rustshard shit?

Hrmm...you can get pretty far in 60 -70 hours. Really depends if you care that much about Min/Maxing things later on.

Kyoufu

Nah, don't worry about it.

Charm table is for people who are aiming to get the best charms via hours and hours of Volcano mining.

OrigiNull

I spent about 30 minutes trying to kill one of those quick gazelle things with the greatsword, and after finally succeeding I felt like the greatsword master

After just playing the demo I am under the impression that the great sword is best used by psychics as I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it (assuming the barn movesl)

kinggroin

Banned
After just playing the demo I am under the impression that the great sword is best used by psychics as I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it (assuming the barn movesl)

The great sword, especially the ancient ones are incredibly effective against rathians.

lol

IMO, GS is meant to be used using the level 3 charge method and landing that hit on a monster's weak spot. It takes time to master, but is very rewarding and devastating with the right skillset.

Mupod

Now imagine one of those things except it's electrically charged and wants to kill you.

Wow - the 3D effect in the 3DS version is soooo goooood. I honestly don't understand the whole deal with people supposedly never using the 3D effects on the 3DS. For me it can *really* add to the overall effect in some games.

I cannot see how some of you have gotten as far as you have. I've only just started the 3 star quests and I got the game literally at midnight release and have probably played for over 20 hours already. I am playing solo, however, and I do spend a lot of time gathering resources.

Just moved up from the default newbie leathers to jaggi armor too. Who even needs armor when you can just dodge? ;)

Just kidding - good armor definitely helps later on and the skills also help. Plus a cool looking set can make you look like a boss.

I like the 3D effect a lot but I'm also glad they give us better IQ if we turn it off. Most 3DS developers don't seem to bother...hell is Capcom the only one? Revelaitons looked great with 3D on or off.

I'm far because I've fought most of these things before and I don't get hit, so I don't need to grind up armor. I just focus on improving my weapons to kill faster. I also know exactly what to do and which quests to focus on.

Jaggi armor's skills seem perfectly suited to new players so I bet it helps a lot. And yes, looking cool (or as dumb as possible) is always a goal for me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GS is awesome. Raw power baby.

Could never get the charge timing down 100% though, lol.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Finished my Lagiacrus armor set + Hunting Horn. Gonna work on the Rathalos set now.

Balzenger lance is still beasting.

Nice! I did the urgent quest and got him to scurry away, but is there a quest to keeping fighting him as I didn't see it in the 4-star quest list.

That said, being a complete newcomer to the series I'm doing a pretty good job and been having a blast. So glad I decided to get the Wii U and this together. :D

Great sword does sooo much damage. I could be better with my timing, but it's the only weapon I use and I love it. It takes practice, though.
I'm not quite at this level, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NYYewCSxo (NSFW language warning!)
That would be the best video ever if he didn't use the word "faggot". =|

Price matched the buy 2 get 1 free deal at best buy to get Lego City, MHWiiU, and the 3DS version for free. Are there any bonuses for connecting aside from portability? Excited to finally get into the series proper.

Am confused about this table business though. Is this something I can change or will I need to reset if unlucky?

I like the 3D effect a lot but I'm also glad they give us better IQ if we turn it off. Most 3DS developers don't seem to bother...hell is Capcom the only one? Revelaitons looked great with 3D on or off.

I'm far because I've fought most of these things before and I don't get hit, so I don't need to grind up armor. I just focus on improving my weapons to kill faster. I also know exactly what to do and which quests to focus on.

Jaggi armor's skills seem perfectly suited to new players so I bet it helps a lot. And yes, looking cool (or as dumb as possible) is always a goal for me.

I *thought* I noticed that the IQ improved with the 3D off but I thought it was just me. Easier for my kids to watch me kill a pair of Great Jaggies with the 3D slider turned off.

My only MH experience is on the Vita with MHFU and I only got so far as Tigrex. After trying about 20 times I gave up and stopped playing for a while after that figuring I would just wait for MH Tri to come out on 3DS which was what I was waiting for in the first place. So I don't have Tri experience but I'm not a complete noobie at MH either. But I'm sure I'll feel like a noob again once I get to Tigrex (or something just as bad or worse) :D

GS is awesome. Raw power baby.

Could never get the charge timing down 100% though, lol.

That's what I'm rocking...

I'm a simple guy and in the middle of a fight I find it all too much to handle with reloading ammo, worrying about LS charges, continually sharpening dual swords or sword and shield, and I never could get the hammer down.

I'm definitely not "good" at the great sword, but its what my simple mind is able to deal with the best. I swear its even easier to use the GS in this game than in MHFU but it could just be me.

Satch

Banned
R. Ludroth did all that work to make me use all my megapotions and regs and he still lost

IVE NEVER BEEN MORE SCARED TO LOSE IN MY LIFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom