• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidko

My inventory fills up so fast! Is there ever a way to expand it?

Not that I know of... basically you just have to constantly manage it and only bring what you need for each mission. Too bad they don't put the item box next to the guild sweetie

insin

Neo Member
Here's my default loadout:

20 Whetstones
10 Mega Potions
5 Mega Pickaxe
5 Mega Bugnet

I'll bring a trap with tranqs if we're capturing. Usually a cold or hot drink depending on location during G-rank. Like to keep it simple and not too loaded with stuff.
Charms and talons, yo!

daxy

Snagged a copy at a local game store early (EU), yay!

One minor annoyance though: is it just me or are the save times ridiculous for the 3DS version? It took me a good minute and a half to save my file at my bed. I thought perhaps it would just be that first time when it created the file, but it was the same after. Doubt it should matter much, but I've got a class 10 card, which is better than the default, and I have most of the memory free.

edit: whelp, looks like I'm not alone then

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/65732945

I'm reading that people who experience it have slow cards and that the default card saves quickly. I've got a 32GB class 10 (Icidu) card though :U
Driving me nuts!

Chorazin

One minor annoyance though: is it just me or are the save times ridiculous for the 3DS version? It took me a good minute and a half to save my file at my bed. I thought perhaps it would just be that first time when it created the file, but it was the same after. Doubt it should matter much, but I've got a class 10 card, which is better than the default.

Wow, that's not right at all. It only takes me a few seconds to save on the bed, and I also have a class 10 card.

CrisKre

I just started playing the game yesterday. New to the series, and I have a few questions:

- how does the game work? I restored the camp and went directly to online lay, where I played with 3 other players for a couple hours. Is this the right way to progress my skills or should I focus on single player first and then dive into online?

- During my online play I got a lot of items and elements. I stored them in the chest on my hut. Do I need to take them out to forge weapons and armor? or being in the chest is enough?

Disguises

- During my online play I got a lot of items and elements. I stored them in the chest on my hut. Do I need to take them out to forge weapons and armor? or being in the chest is enough?
Being in the chest is enough (Thank god!)
- how does the game work? I restored the camp and went directly to online lay, where I played with 3 other players for a couple hours. Is this the right way to progress my skills or should I focus on single player first and then dive into online?
When I first played Tri, I think I played around 10 hours worth until I was confident with the mechanics of the game - I was pretty comfortable with my lance and I understood the capturing mechanics and such. I went online soon after. It's probably best to go offline for a bit I'd say - even if it's just to farm resources like herbs/mushrooms/honey for mega potions. Having said that - there's nothing wrong with jumping online straight away and learning that way :). I just preferred taking it at a slow pace and learning each new thing step by step.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So, what's everyone's weapon of choice? I've been mainly using hammers since MHFU, I just love to knock the monsters unconscious :p

Hammer and Switch Axe right now, depending on the monster and my needs. I'll be adding the Bow once I get online with some others. Maybe I'll finally expand into the Great Sword realm as well.

edit: Oh I guess Hunting Horn will be given a shot once I'm online with others. I do enjoy assisting.

I just started playing the game yesterday. New to the series, and I have a few questions:

Single player's main benefit is for resource gathering, notably using the farm to grind resources, the fishing boats, etc. You can completely ignore it if you want though.

kidko

So, what's everyone's weapon of choice? I've been mainly using hammers since MHFU, I just love to knock the monsters unconscious :p

Definetly GS but I'm going to put a lot of effort into learning the Horn. I love the whole concept of jamming on some cranky music in the middle of a fight. Plus the moving speed boost on the default pipes is awesome!

Kuntz

I'll try something new (if Amazon ever sends it on time :( )

for soloing : Gunlance or hunting horn
for groups : hunting horn or gunner (love gunner but soooo expensive)

Do the hunting horn "buffs" affect all players in the area ?

Alucrid

Banned
How gimped does this game feel on the 3DS? I've been meaning to pick one up for a while now, but with this and Fire Emblem recently it seems hard to ignore any longer. Just wondering if it's bad compared to the Wii U version...not that I'll be getting one.

Mupod

Generally I'd advise playing SP first to get your farm and NPC companions, as well as learn the basics of gathering and building armor/weapons. But you can do whatever you want. After clearing certain quests an 'urgent' quest will pop up, clearing it will allow you to access more missions.

No need to take anything out unless it's an item you want to bring on a mission. You can even combine from the chest.

Still going strong with hunting horns. The temptation to fall back onto hammers and destroy everything in my path is there, but I'm determined to get good with HH. I'm really enjoying its moveset but I miss the hammer's power. I do like its reach and combos though, I actually use it a little bit like how I played MHFU longsword.

Still a bit miffed that I vendored that rusted GS. I want to pick GS back up too at some point.

So do you use the same character in single player and online, and share items between them? Have played the psp FU games so not sure how it works here.

OrigiNull

How gimped does this game feel on the 3DS? I've been meaning to pick one up for a while now, but with this and Fire Emblem recently it seems hard to ignore any longer. Just wondering if it's bad compared to the Wii U version...not that I'll be getting one.

I wouldn't say its gimped at all. In playing the demo for both Wii U and 3DS I actually preferred the 3DS but I do have an XL. With the 3D off the 3DS actually looks smoother than the Wii U.

However the 3DS multiplayer is only local so you need a bunch of buds in the same room to have a full 4 player hunt.

Morokh

WiiU bought, configured, and ready to go as soon as the game update finishes !

NNID : Kentsui
(Europe)

Is the game cross region or should I just bother with adding european players ?

CrisKre

Hammer and Switch Axe right now, depending on the monster and my needs. I'll be adding the Bow once I get online with some others. Maybe I'll finally expand into the Great Sword realm as well.

edit: Oh I guess Hunting Horn will be given a shot once I'm online with others. I do enjoy assisting.

Single player's main benefit is for resource gathering, notably using the farm to grind resources, the fishing boats, etc. You can completely ignore it if you want though.

thank you.

This may sound really dumb...but I tried out a gunlance, and not only can it not fire, but it seems to have less moves than the regular lance. How/where can I get and equip ammo?

creid

One minor annoyance though: is it just me or are the save times ridiculous for the 3DS version? It took me a good minute and a half to save my file at my bed. I thought perhaps it would just be that first time when it created the file, but it was the same after. Doubt it should matter much, but I've got a class 10 card, which is better than the default, and I have most of the memory free.

edit: whelp, looks like I'm not alone then

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/65732945

I'm reading that people who experience it have slow cards and that the default card saves quickly. I've got a 32GB class 10 (Icidu) card though :U
Driving me nuts!
You didn't happen to get your card on ebay (or some less reputable seller,) did you?

I'm thinking of giving HH a try this time too. I didn't really care for them in unite since it just felt silly killing a monster with an instrument, but the buffing system does seem interesting.

Beats

So do you use the same character in single player and online, and share items between them? Have played the psp FU games so not sure how it works here.

Yes.

WiiU bought, configured, and ready to go as soon as the game update finishes !

NNID : Kentsui
(Europe)

Is the game cross region or should I just bother with adding european players ?

There's going to be an update that will let EU and NA play together. But I'm not sure when that is.

Alucrid

Banned
I wouldn't say its gimped at all. In playing the demo for both Wii U and 3DS I actually preferred the 3DS but I do have an XL. With the 3D off the 3DS actually looks smoother than the Wii U.

However the 3DS multiplayer is only local so you need a bunch of buds in the same room to have a full 4 player hunt.

Hmmm, smaller, less expensive, portable, looks better...sounds good to me. Thanks.

Edit: Hmm shit, local co-op only, that's a bummer. :(

muu

The best thing about the WiiU ver is that I can play MH on my TV. Even Great Jaggis look huge! Though that doesn't stop him from dropping in under 3mins.

Satch

Banned
oh my god that fucking t rex thing i thought he would never die

he carted me twice and almost had me again, and i killed him right at 40 minutes

DaBoss

oh my god that fucking t rex thing i thought he would never die

he carted me twice and almost had me again, and i killed him right at 40 minutes

Well you just got past the 1st wall (Barroth). You can now call yourself a monster hunter, congrats!!!

Raide

I spent ages gearing up Sword and Shield but later found out that I prefer the Great Sword. Would like to check out Dual Swords and Bow.

Mupod

I'm thinking of giving HH a try this time too. I didn't really care for them in unite since it just felt silly killing a monster with an instrument, but the buffing system does seem interesting.

They are very, very different now. And much better. The fun part is that the recitals are actually some of the most powerful attacks so learning how to safely activate buffs while landing attacks is really interesting.

It has a 'super pound' that doesn't require charging, so you can carry over some hammer skills. The hitbox seems identical as far as I know. Obviously the damage is not as high but it sure does mess up Ludroth since you can spam it over and over and he keeps turning his nose into it.

As for KOing, I was able to KO Lagi/Barroth 3 times before killing them so it's not like the weapon lacks in that respect...as long as you learn how to use the upswing. The 'super pound' doesn't KO very well.

OrigiNull

Hmmm, smaller, less expensive, portable, looks better...sounds good to me. Thanks.

Edit: Hmm shit, local co-op only, that's a bummer. :(

Yep. I bought both just because of that and already have a Wii U collecting dust. If the 3DS was fully online like Monster Hunter 4 is supposed to be then I doubt I will pick up the Wii U version.

Emitan

gQQPS0c.jpg

Happens every single time I try to play with a friend :(

It was working when I first got the game but now we keep getting this error.

They are very, very different now. And much better. The fun part is that the recitals are actually some of the most powerful attacks so learning how to safely activate buffs while landing attacks is really interesting.

It has a 'super pound' that doesn't require charging, so you can carry over some hammer skills. The hitbox seems identical as far as I know. Obviously the damage is not as high but it sure does mess up Ludroth since you can spam it over and over and he keeps turning his nose into it.

As for KOing, I was able to KO Lagi/Barroth 3 times before killing them so it's not like the weapon lacks in that respect...as long as you learn how to use the upswing. The 'super pound' doesn't KO very well.

Cool, definately going to try them out now! Will probably be a welcome change in playstyle.

Doorman

So far it's been lots of Hunting Horn and Gunlance, with a bit of Switch Axe thrown in occasionally. I have a couple of lances too but literally haven't brought one on a quest yet. The other weapons have already been upgraded too far for them to keep up!

Anyone want to hop online with me? Gonna do some HR2 stuff, some Rathalos here and there.

NNID: earvcunanan
Hunter: Cunanan
World: Free Play 01
Lobby: 8
Room Name: Rathalos

Raxious

So ummm, im trying the Charm tables, but according to the website, I got an X on every single table...is that even possible?

Right now I got:

2x Sleepyfish
1x Humpsun Conch
2x Sushifish
1x Shining Starfish

DaBoss

So ummm, im trying the Charm tables, but according to the website, I got an X on every single table...is that even possible?

Right now I got:

2x Sleepyfish
1x Humpsun Conch
2x Sushifish
1x Shining Starfish

Enter the fishing hauls like this:
W2kgM3O.png

The results will show up like this:
KbEej8M.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom