• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

creid

Haven't listened to it myself yet, but one of my favorite podcasts just posted up an (audio) interview with Yuri / Dubindoh from Capcom about MH3U: MH3U

Proven

So instead of beating around the bush dooming and glooming everyone, what are the "ramifications"? Other than being a min/max sperg?

There's only one thing about the whole locked tables list that bothers me. Two tables lock you of getting Rustshards ever.

What are Rustshards? Requirements to make various weapons. You have a 2/17 chance of getting on a table that will make it completely impossible for you to ever own certain upgraded weapons. That makes me want to hurt someone.

Considering how bad that is, it's almost certain now that it's more a bug than intentional. But now that that we can assume it's unintentional, and we've learned of a few randomizer type things effected by this, the sky is the limit as to what else can effect you like this. And I've just got a terrible feeling that monster drops/carves might be effected to some degree.

This stuff isn't going to make me want to change my system clock around and deal with a timer and a 3-second window that I can't even check if I did right until 45 minutes later into the game just to enjoy participating in a mechanic I didn't get very into in Tri. No, this stuff may make me ragequit this game.

Unboxing the Monster Hunter 3DS Case - http://youtu.be/4I-OMvDjNKk

1:36 LOL!
Fun little video. I already ordered the XL case, so I'm looking forward to that.

Where's the list?? I quoted on iPhone and tried to make a link out of it.

NNID: P A R T Y M C H A R D Y

If anyone could advise me how to add my ID to the list in simpleton terms it would be greatly appreciated.

Proven

I thought the rustshard thing wasn't 100% confirmed to be true?

Actually, I think you're right. There's a chance I won't have to kill someone.

Still, I don't want the discussion to end until the game comes out and we're all too busy killing monster to care for a while.

Where's the list?? I quoted on iPhone and tried to make a link out of it.

NNID: P A R T Y M C H A R D Y

If anyone could advise me how to add my ID to the list in simpleton terms it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote the OP and you'll see the link. It's at the bottom of the post.
I dont think there is much else to it.

Effect

I added everyone but I think they have to add me too to complete the friend request, right?
First time I'm adding someone.

The Wii U has two methods of adding friends. The Miiverse option where you search a person's name and then send the request and they get the notification. The other is directly through the Friend List which is the method used on the 3DS where both people have to add each other. The reason for them is the parental controls. The friend list method is open when they are turned on so you have to know the person you are adding. However the Miiverse option can be blocked if one wanted it to be. It's a bit confusing but I'm pretty sure the manual explains this.

JKTrix

Been lurking the Monster Hunter threads for a while, but wanted to post so I wasn't a total stranger when seen on the NNID list.

I played Tri online with johntv and sprsk once.

Fistwell

There's a chance I won't have to kill someone.
image.php

charm table is pissing me off too

Are we even sure that Wii U's friend list is factored into Ultimate?

Wii had a friend list too and Tri had its own friend list independent of that.

Mupod

If Future Shop doesn't send my order by this afternoon then I won't be getting my 3DS copy from them before the weekend...I suppose it WAS a gamble. Thinking of doing a bit of running around to see if I can find a broken street date but I haven't had any luck with that kind of thing locally for years.

At any rate I keep hearing about Toys R Us in Canada selling the game early, and there's a relatively new one here in Sudbury although I've never set foot in it.

Either way still doing eshop for WiiU.

The problem with the wii, is that the online service sucked and there was no easy way to connect to random people. Capcom recognized this and made their own system.
Since the Wii U has a better system for connecting to others, I'm sure it's integrated this time.

tim.mbp

Bought a Wii U yesterday mainly for this game. Added my ID to the list. I'm a bit of a Monster Hunter noob, so please be a little patient with me.

Doorman

Ultimate runs off the same Nintendo Network servers as every other Wii U game, so it carries over all of that NN data. Even on Wii, stuff like accounts and persistent friend lists were never really organized.

I'll be accepting friend requests and adding folks from the doc after work today!

windfish

nice OT! :)
i can't wait to hunt with you guys! allready had a few gaffers on my list, but will add more soon! too bad they don't allow for more than 100 friends, my Tri Friendlist reached the limit after two weeks :/

Fistwell

nice OT! :)
i can't wait to hunt with you guys! allready had a few gaffers on my list, but will add more soon! too bad they don't allow for more than 100 friends, my Tri Friendlist reached the limit after two weeks :/
Yes! Old Euro Tri GAF assemble!

Hoodbury

While the google doc for making friends with each other is good and all, I still think we need to assign a dedicated unofficial GAF server. Much easier to play with each other that way than all have 100 friends on your Wii U friends list for just one game.

When the game comes out can we pick a server and add it to the OT? Then whenever you are online just go to that server and the rooms should be all GAF members.

Xater

While the google doc for making friends with each other is good and all, I still think we need to assign a dedicated unofficial GAF server. Much easier to play with each other that way than all have 100 friends on your Wii U friends list for just one game.

When the game comes out can we pick a server and add it to the OT? Then whenever you are online just go to that server and the rooms should be all GAF members.

I am sure that's what we will do as well, but kind of pointless before the game is out right? I also think we should hide the server behind e-mail tags so not every lurker can see it.

Hoodbury

I am sure that's what we will do as well, but kind of pointless before the game is out right? I also think we should hide the server behind e-mail tags so not every lurker can see it.

Ya, of course we have to wait til the game is out to see what the server names will be. And yep hide it like the google doc as well. /shakefist at those evil lurkers.

Mupod

Yeah I'm not gonna go nuts adding people since it's not that important, but it's nice to get a gauge of how many people will be playing. The list is...already quite a bit larger than I was expecting.

Chuckpebble

Vasectomy?
My step-dad got one on his birthday, which I found funny.

The gift that keeps on giving if you think about it a little too hard.

On topic. Since I'm playing on 3DS, and I don't feel I need to keep pace with people, I'm thinking about going OCD, collecting every piece of equipment available during each quest tier. Crazy?

Mupod

The gift that keeps on giving if you think about it a little too hard.

On topic. Since I'm playing on 3DS, and I don't feel I need to keep pace with people, I'm thinking about going OCD, collecting every piece of equipment available during each quest tier. Crazy?

Yes. Weapons alone would be very time consuming.

It's a fun endgame goal to try and get one of everything but I'm unsure how much box space you get in 3U. And some sets are...very tough to make. Heavenly scales uurrrrgh.

Mondriaan

Yes. Weapons alone would be very time consuming.

It's a fun endgame goal to try and get one of everything but I'm unsure how much box space you get in 3U. And some sets are...very tough to make. Heavenly scales uurrrrgh.
It's always been fairly doable in every MH game so far, assuming you aren't OCD about trying to collect one of every charm. The cursed tables do appear to make it possible to collect one of every charm available to you if you're in the worst possible cursed table, however (~200 charms total as opposed to thousands).

I was planning on buying this on launchday for my 3DS, but there is some (game-breaking?) bug?
It's not game-breaking, but it's the kind of thing that will possibly make you very very sad if you spend hundreds or thousands of hours and then realize that you will never get certain nice-to-have things in the game (unless you decide to start a new character).

I was planning on buying this on launchday for my 3DS, but there is some (game-breaking?) bug?

It's not game breaking. When you create a character, the game locks you into a set of "charms" that you can get in the game, preventing you from getting other "charms". It's not necessary to collect, but its an issue for hardcore players.

Jarsonot

I like the idea of the bow and am having a lot of fun with it, but have yet to take down Lagombi.

For awhile (I recently realized) I wasn't equipping the coatings, just selecting them. That oughtta help, and then it was a matter of retraining myself from melee to ranged mindset, and learning the controls better so I wouldn't keep hitting the damn wrong buttons during moments of crisis.

I now think I am ready to take him down, but have a couple of questions.

1)How effective is the bow's melee? Is it even worth it to get a couple swings in, or would that time be better spent positioning myself for another charged shot?

2)Seems like I have a lot of status effect coatings. As a (hopeful future) bow user should I anticipate NEEDING to sleep/poison/paralyze to succeed? Is it feasible to take a monster down w/ the bow without them? Not for an expert player, who could probably kill people with the bow naked, melee only, but for me, the noob.

So far I really liked the longsword, gunlance, dual swords, and hammer. But the bow is a lot of fun trying to cat-and-mouse that damn Lagombi. Run around, get a shot in, dive out of the way, FUCK missed an opportunity to arrow rain him, dive, shot in, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom