• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xander51

Well, I just took the plunge on the 3DS version. Pretty much new to this game, aside from playing the demos of 3 Ultimate and weirdly, playing the beta of the original game on PS2. Really looking forward to trying this out, hope I get over the hump before I run away from it.

Satch

Banned
Sure you're not looking at the wrong Jaggi armor? There's one set for gunners and one for blademasters (melee weapons).

There are 2 types of armor. Blademaster (melee) armor and Gunner (long-ranged) armor. Gunner armor can only be used by hunters who have a long-ranged weapon equipped and vice versa. A helmet can however be worn be either, but it would be good to have the normal helmet so you can get all of the skills in the set.

oooh, then i guess that's the problem

thanks for the tips

How far into singleplayer should you get before trying multiplayer? How do the quests divide between the two? If I go too far in singleplayer will I trivialize some Multiplayer Quests?

Doorman

3 failed trapping attempts. I'm either running out of tranks or kill the old bear. Still having a blast. I just wish the wet stone vendor sold traps as well.
The Arzuros seems to have crazy-low health, so you may have to ease back after you get him to flinch a few times, see if he doesn't start limping. I don't think any encounter I've had with him has lasted longer than five minutes, and that includes one where I died and one where I ran across almost the whole map before even finding him.

So in what direction did people go in for their character names? Real name? Forum name? Etc?

I can never decide if I should use my real name or not. My name is unique enough but always wary if I should use it to be honest. Especially if I'm going online.

I debated a little bit but ultimately went with "Doorman," as it's meant to be my general-purpose online gaming handle. Maybe not so consistent with the Monster Hunter world, but hey it could be worse!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
14 hours in now, I've been sticking with my awesome Rhino armour, just like I did in Tri. It was easy to make, provides okay skills, but most importantly, it looks hilarious.

chrono01

Question about the Jaggi Armor, when does it become available?

I'm currently beginning the 2* Quests, but I still can't see it being available. I have every Villager Request [so far] completed.

Mupod

How far into singleplayer should you get before trying multiplayer? How do the quests divide between the two? If I go too far in singleplayer will I trivialize some Multiplayer Quests?

Even if your equipment outclasses the early monsters you can just burn through the low level quests solo and quickly get to a point where you're feeling challenged.

I'd say that if you want to go online ASAP, go ahead anytime once you've got a grasp of the mechanics and have a bunch of mega potions/whetstones at the ready. Just in case.

I used to recommend beating Barroth first but he's not the newbie killer he used to be. Still probably a good course of action though.

Question about the Jaggi Armor, when does it become available?

I'm currently beginning the 2* Quests, but I still can't see it being available. I have every Villager Request [so far] completed.

Armor is unlocked based on monster parts found. You'll have to kill a great jaggi first - if the piece you want isn't showing up, you probably didn't get a necessary monster part. Make sure you break the head frill.

Fewr

Meh I hate myself. I think I'll use a stopwatch to land on table 3 on Wii U then wait for the transfer tool to pass it on to 3DS.

T3: All-purpose table. Especially rich in good evasion charms, but has the possibility for many skill setups with a Handicraft +4 OOO charm (with Sharpener -3).

Yeh, that sounds good enough for me.

rockx4

Only played a few hours so far. I've finished a few quests and did the first Urgent Quest. I also purchased\forged the first armor set. Not sure what else to do, should I just continue solo?

Raide

Only played a few hours so far. I've finished a few quests and did the first Urgent Quest. I also purchased\forged the first armor set. Not sure what else to do, should I just continue solo?

You have a load of solo questing and progression to go. You could just jump online, finish the early stuff and carry on but I would suggest people finish the solo stuff first. It will put you in a much better shape to progress later on.

Doorman

Oddly enough, despite having killed plenty of Great Jaggi already, the option to craft the GJ chest-armor still hasn't ever showed up for me yet. Makes no sense, as I'm pretty sure I've gotten at least one of every item from him so far.

Any suggestions for my first weapon when I start playing soon? I was leaning towards hammer, but am really open for anything. I've got about half an hour left in the download...

Will I be prompted to buy a new weapon and some armor at some point? I've only just started with the first couple little errand runs and have enough money to buy something, but wondering if I should just keep using the stock sword and board for the time being or get something else ASAP.

Any suggestions for my first weapon when I start playing soon? I was leaning towards hammer, but am really open for anything. I've got about half an hour left in the download...

That really is up to you, just try them all out in the first couple of missions and see what suits you best. Or you can just use them all :p

Filth

Will I be prompted to buy a new weapon and some armor at some point? I've only just started with the first couple little errand runs and have enough money to buy something, but wondering if I should just keep using the stock sword and board for the time being or get something else ASAP.

you can either upgrade your current weapon or as you get new resources like bone and stone you go to the weapon smith and look at what you can forge with said items. it will let you know how many you need and what items are missing

BooJoh

You start with one of every weapon. Go to your house and check the box to equip a different type if you want to try something else out.

chrono01

Even if your equipment outclasses the early monsters you can just burn through the low level quests solo and quickly get to a point where you're feeling challenged.

I'd say that if you want to go online ASAP, go ahead anytime once you've got a grasp of the mechanics and have a bunch of mega potions/whetstones at the ready. Just in case.

I used to recommend beating Barroth first but he's not the newbie killer he used to be. Still probably a good course of action though.

Armor is unlocked based on monster parts found. You'll have to kill a great jaggi first - if the piece you want isn't showing up, you probably didn't get a necessary monster part. Make sure you break the head frill.

soon as you farm a G. Jaggi.

Much appreciated you two!

Raide

Really dependent on your personal playstyle but collecting a few of each weapon is always handy. Try them all and see how you get on.

As for upgrading...keep upgrading. If you keep in step with the monster progression, you will be ok. If you start lagging behind, things can get out of hand very quickly :p

Also, you may want to check the weapon progression lists before you upgrade. Depending on what you want to get to, you need to follow certain paths with your upgrades.

Fewr

If you haven't played at all I suggest you try all the weapons and see what you like the most. The weapon you get when you start is Sword and Shield which is very easy to use, so start with that then try the rest.
Hammer is easy and very effective in my opinion, so that is a good choice too.

DaBoss

Try them all. :p

Nah, it'll never force it upon you. You can upgrade and craft new weapons at any time in the village. You should upgrade your weapon, but it really is dependent on whether you think the time is right and your current weapon can't do enough for you.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Start with SnS simply to get used to the way the game plays. Once you feel comfortable with the general idea of defense > offense (and that it's OK to run and regain composure), start trying other weapons out. My 2 cents. :)

Looks like the consensus is to try out all the weapons, so I guess I'll do that!

I've watched the first two episodes of the My Fair Hunter podcasts and SnS seems kinda boring but I'll give it a shot.

Korezo

why LS get so nerfed? Last MH i played was last usa release MH for psp, I had a 1400P base dmg LS. Here max one only has like 925 dmg... so sad

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
God I hope we get that patch with Off-TV play soon.

The wife and kid are totally hogging the TV :(

Raide

Looks like the consensus is to try out all the weapons, so I guess I'll do that!

I've watched the first two episodes of the My Fair Hunter podcasts and SnS seems kinda boring but I'll give it a shot.

Check out http://teamworkcast.com/ If you have not already. They have loads of videos covering Tri, even stuff about the basics. They have been going for ages and plan to do stuff again for Tri U.

Raide

How much single player stuff should I play before I start doing co-op content?

It could depend on how good you feel you are at the game. The Solo stuff will take you through everything you need to know and get you geared up. Online is where the hard stuff ends up being, so it depends if you get your fill of Solo stuff or if you still hunger for more loot!

hunnies28

MH newbie here, sometimes when I hit a monster, instead of blood splashing over I hear a huge thump. Does this mean I'm doing no damage?

Likewise, sometimes when I hit an enemy I see a 'gold shine' , what does this mean?

Thanks!

Using a hammer by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom