• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

MH newbie here, sometimes when I hit a monster, instead of blood splashing over I hear a huge thump. Does this mean I'm doing no damage?

Likewise, sometimes when I hit an enemy I see a 'gold shine' , what does this mean?

Thanks!

Using a hammer by the way.

See sparks? It means you're bouncing, which means you don't have enough sharpness on your weapon. Try hitting it in other spots or upgrading your weapons. Some still do a small amount of damage despite bouncing but you want to avoid that by keeping things sharp with Whetstones.

With the hammer you can charge it up, so that might be the gold shine perhaps? Charging does bigger hits and some combo stuff.

Hellraider

MH newbie here, sometimes when I hit a monster, instead of blood splashing over I hear a huge thump. Does this mean I'm doing no damage?

Likewise, sometimes when I hit an enemy I see a 'gold shine' , what does this mean?

Thanks!

Gold shines are what you should target for with hammers.It means that you hit the head and you are stunning the monster.
When your weapon returns right back at you means it is not sharpened enough.Use a whetstone or a lesser whetstone to make it sharp enough.Sharpness is the bar under your stamina that shows a blade with a colour.

damn. stopped by Target on the way home hoping to grab MH3U (Wii U), Fire Emblem (3DS), and Etrian Odyssey (3DS) B2G1 free. Target had none of these.

Do I go digital on MH3U? or do I wait for another deal?

BooJoh

Thanks!

It's probably a little harder to notice with a Hammer, but if your weapon isn't sharp enough to penetrate certain parts of a monster, it'll simply bounce off. Make sure you use a whetstone to sharpen up when it alerts you that your weapon has lost sharpness, and yes even Hammers need to be sharp.

Also sometimes you might be breaking part of the monster (like G. Jaggi's frills) but that should look more like particles flying off and shouldn't bounce back.

hunnies28

Thanks guys! Your answers made me understand this game better.
Yeah, problem is I was attacking a stronger monster so I probably need a better weapon.

And yeah, those shines come when I hit them in their heads.

Again thanks!

rockx4

You have a load of solo questing and progression to go. You could just jump online, finish the early stuff and carry on but I would suggest people finish the solo stuff first. It will put you in a much better shape to progress later on.

What rank should I aim for to prepare for online? Any specific equipment? And is it worth it to upgrade early on or should I just keep making new equipment.

The shop lady sells you Trap Tools. Combining Trap Tools with a Thunderbug or a Net will give you a trap. You need to get a Thunderbug by catching it at bug-catching spots. A Net you can get by combining Ivy and a Spider Web.

Thank you and everyone who helped. This bear will get caught. Any idea what I'm supposed to do when he grabs me?

I see myself and others keep asking how much singleplayer we should do before tackling multiplayer, and I feel like the answers, while helpful, are missing something. The persistent worry seems to be twofold.

1. Fear of being too weak and weighing down your group
2. Fear of dramatically overshooting heaps of multiplayer content by progression too far into the singleplayer.

I feel like there's something I'm missing about the way multiplayer even works that Ive seen answers ranging from "when you're comfortable" to "finish the entire singleplayer before going online."

Does the multiplayer scale? Is it merely so hard that even a maxxed out singleplayer character is not equal in strength to 4 relative newbies? It doesn't help that the quest level system between singleplayer and multiplayer is entirely seperate star designations.

Orayn

What rank should I aim for to prepare for online? Any specific equipment? And is it worth it to upgrade early on or should I just keep making new equipment.

You should be good to start online once you've hunted Great Jaggi and Azuros. Use a full suit of Hunter, Jaggi, or Azuros and whatever weapon you're comfortable with. Keep upgrading your weapons, but you might want to save your armor spheres for a bit later.

Teknoman

I see myself and others keep asking how much singleplayer we should do before tackling multiplayer, and I feel like the answers, while helpful, are missing something. The persistent worry seems to be twofold.

2. Fear of dramatically overshooting heaps of multiplayer content by progression too far into the singleplayer.

I feel like there's something I'm missing about the way multiplayer even works that Ive seen answers ranging from "when you're comfortable" to "finish the entire singleplayer before going online."

Does the multiplayer scale? Is it merely so hard that even a maxxed out singleplayer character is not equal in strength to 4 relative newbies? It doesn't help that the quest level system between singleplayer and multiplayer is entirely seperate star designations.

Personally I say hang in SP until you get a decent set+weapon/moga village up and running with the farms and so on, and then go online. After that, just bounce back and forth.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
God I hope we get that patch with Off-TV play soon.

The wife and kid are totally hogging the TV :(

Here's what you do:

tumblr_m1innbJE0n1rp97syo1_400.gif

Chunky

Thank you and everyone who helped. This bear will get caught. Any idea what I'm supposed to do when he grabs me?
You can use a dung bomb to make him drop you instantly, otherwise mash the buttons furiously!
Dung bombs are made with a bomb casing and dung (duh) and can also be used if you've got a couple of monsters on your ass and you want to get rid of one.

Okay, so here is what I did to get Table 10, let me know if this makes any sense:

set date to Jan 21 2012

set time to 00:12:00

when I hit okay, I also started a stopwatch

went into the game, got to the main screen and when the stopwatch got to 2 minutes and 43 seconds I clicked new game

Sound good?

(I'm not going to bother confirming)

Mondriaan

Tri Ultimate has perhaps the shittiest font and font size combination of any game that I can remember in the last ten years. Tried the game pad a little bit more to see if it would grow on me and it's still terrible. Definitely going to use the classic controller pro from here on out.

Welp, I made the mistake of starting my character on my 3DS thinking the transfer tool would be available day one. I'd love to be playing this on my Wii U on my day off, but instead I'm squinting at the screen while sitting on my couch.

ETA on the transfer tool?

muu

Personally don't think anyone will care at this point, long as you're not getting carted 30secs after meeting a monster you're doing more good than harm.

I agree that the font could've been better for this screen size - it seems to be made for a bigger screen. Or someone sitting reeeeeal close.

For the life of me...how in the hell do you use ammo coatings?

I have 12 Poison S Lv1 items. I put them all in my gunner's pouch. I have tried equipping every single gun-type weapon that the game provides you with by default. I go into the Moga Woods, I hold "L" & press "X" & "B" to scroll through my coatings, but nothing happens. The Poison S Lv1 is right there in my pouch though!

I'm a dual-blade user; all I want to do is grab a Bnahabra Shell to forge some Azuros armor. From what I've read, the best way to do this is to poison some Bnahabras (pretty much the only way you can carve them).

This issue is making me feel mentally stunted. Am I missing something extremely basic or have I just not gained the ability yet?

Ken

Okay, so here is what I did to get Table 10, let me know if this makes any sense:

set date to Jan 21 2012

set time to 00:12:00

when I hit okay, I also started a stopwatch

went into the game, got to the main screen and when the stopwatch got to 2 minutes and 43 seconds I clicked new game

Sound good?

(I'm not going to bother confirming)

Yeah.

Santiako

I have 12 Poison S Lv1 items. I put them all in my gunner's pouch. I have tried equipping every single gun-type weapon that the game provides you with by default. I go into the Moga Woods, I hold "L" & press "X" & "B" to scroll through my coatings, but nothing happens. The Poison S Lv1 is right there in my pouch though!

I'm a dual-blade user; all I want to do is grab a Bnahabra Shell to forge some Azuros armor. From what I've read, the best way to do this is to poison some Bnahabras (pretty much the only way you can carve them).

This issue is making me feel mentally stunted. Am I missing something extremely basic or have I just not gained the ability yet?

X+A to apply the coating

Any suggestions for completing "Who's the boss?". I can't for the life of me get this stupid Great Jaggi into my trap after it's wounded enough to limp. It's the only 2* quest I have left and it's driving me nuts.

rockx4

You should be good to start online once you've hunted Great Jaggi and Azuros. Use a full suit of Hunter, Jaggi, or Azuros and whatever weapon you're comfortable with. Keep upgrading your weapons, but you might want to save your armor spheres for a bit later.

Will do, thanks.

Ken

Your gun has to be able to load poison.

DaBoss

Any suggestions for completing "Who's the boss?". I can't for the life of me get this stupid Great Jaggi into my trap after it's wounded enough to limp. It's the only 2* quest I have left and it's driving me nuts.

To complete that question, the answer must be "DaBoss".

Lay a trap in the area it runs to and then let it chase you to the trap. Then throw the tranq bombs and you'll be good.

Hellraider

Go where it sleeps,put a trap while it's asleep, throw your tranq bombs and you are done.

If you're having issues with it running off after you've set your trap, wait until it goes to the zone where it sleeps. After it falls asleep, enter the zone and set your trap next to it.

X+A to apply the coating

Thanks, but could you specify? Because when you're holding "L," "X" just scrolls up & "A" scrolls left. X+A does nothing if my weapon isn't drawn; it attacks when my weapon is drawn. From the gunner's pouch, X sorts my items & A brings up a menu to discard or swap them. Pressing them at the same time from there doesn't do anything.

The coating doesn't even appear as an option, even though it's in my possession -- it just says "no coatings." I mean, is there some special place I need to put the coating instead of in my gunner's pouch?

I have read the manual, Monster Hunter Wikia, & the Brady Games PDF Guide. I even played a little Tri on Wii. I feel like I missed some majorly simple thing here, because I am stumped. I just wanna poison a bug.

Ken said:
Your gun has to be able to load poison.

Ah, thank you. Now that makes sense -- I guess none of the default guns have that ability. Any tips for the most accessible poison-capable gun? For now, I just need to poison a Bnahabra & then I'm going back to my blades.

Ken

Ah, thank you. Now that makes sense -- I guess none of the default guns have that ability. Any tips for the most accessible poison-capable gun? For now, I just need to poison a Bnahabra & then I'm going back to my blades.

Same applies to bow coatings.

If you don't want to craft a weapon just make poison bombs.

BooJoh

I noticed the joystiq article said "For now, you can play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS or Wii U – you just can't play on Wii U if you want your progress from both to carry over."

Is that just badly worded or does that mean your first transfer has to be 3DS -> Wii U? Moreover, I guess this means when you transfer it moves all of the save data and you can't move one character while leaving the other on the other system?

Welp, I made the mistake of starting my character on my 3DS thinking the transfer tool would be available day one. I'd love to be playing this on my Wii U on my day off, but instead I'm squinting at the screen while sitting on my couch.

ETA on the transfer tool?

Nobody knows. "Capcom is working closely with Nintendo to make these available for download as soon as possible and apologize for the delay." I really hope it at least makes it up by tomorrow's eShop update.

To complete that question, the answer must be "DaBoss".

Lay a trap in the area it runs to and then let it chase you to the trap. Then throw the tranq bombs and you'll be good.

Go where it sleeps,put a trap while it's asleep, throw your tranq bombs and you are done.

If you're having issues with it running off after you've set your trap, wait until it goes to the zone where it sleeps. After it falls asleep, enter the zone and set your trap next to it.

Put some poisoned meat for it, when it limps back to it's lair =)
I've been waiting for it to go back and sleep, but this daggum guy just wants to murder me instead. (frill busted, panting/drooling, near death as far as I can tell, but NOPE. Hip check time!) I'll keep trying though.

Hey switch axe people! What should I upgrade too? Bone Smasher or Arzuros Axe?
I upgraded to the Arzuros Axe, it seems pretty nice, but it does lose green sharpness fairly quickly, but keeps yellow sharpness for ages. The poison phial has come in handy a couple times as well.

Ken

Thanks again, Ken, much appreciated. Off to craft a decent gun, then -- might as well have one.

Jaggid Fire can load poison and you can buy one right from the store. I remember I used that for Tri bug hunting. Its normals should be weak enough to damage but not kill bugs too.

I've been waiting for it to go back and sleep, but this daggum guy just wants to murder me instead. (frill busted, panting/drooling, near death as far as I can tell, but NOPE. Hip check time!) I'll keep trying though.

I upgraded to the Arzuros Axe, it seems pretty nice, but it does lose green sharpness fairly quickly, but keeps yellow sharpness for ages. The poison phial has come in handy a couple times as well.

Cool. I will do that since it looks better anyway :p

BooJoh

Hey switch axe people! What should I upgrade too? Bone Smasher or Arzuros Axe?

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Switch_Axe_Weapon_Tree

I'm personally working toward the Giga Gale Azurite but I'll probably end up with the Inceadus at some point along the way.

The Dark Switch Axe path looks nice too, as does the Nether Excellion. TBH you'll probably end up with several at some point so you can switch out elements and phials based on what you're hunting.

daxy

Tip: when you're in a pinch and need to carve quickly, crouch and then carve for it to go faster! (applies to collecting any resources from the ground - your character doesn't have to do the sitting down & standing up animation)

Oh man this game. Amazing! The port job on the 3DS is excellent bar the sometimes hard to read text. Haven't had much trouble reading it myself, but maybe it's because of the XL's screens.

Tip: when you're in a pinch and need to carve quickly, crouch and then carve for it to go faster! (applies to collecting any resources from the ground - your character doesn't have to do the sitting down & standing up animation)

Oh man this game. Amazing! The port job on the 3DS is excellent bar the sometimes hard to read text. Haven't had much trouble reading it myself, but maybe it's because of the XL's screens.
Other way round XD, the Wii U is the port of the original 3DS game =P

Fewr

so im charm table 5. meh :/
I got 9 and decided to switch to 3 now that I haven't played more than 3hrs. Better to feel good from the start than "well, yes I just got X, but if I had started again from that other table this could have been Y"

----------------------

According to Capcom, the transfer app will be up 'by Friday' now.

Happy to just play co-op with my wife right now, but online would be nice.
Sigh, first launching at noon, now this. ARGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom