• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
This five star powderstone delivery quest is ridiculous. :(

Anyone know how to deliver the stone before it explodes? :lol

DaBoss

According to Capcom, the transfer app will be up 'by Friday' now.

Happy to just play co-op with my wife right now, but online would be nice.

I feel sorry for this fellow:
DOkFkh1.png

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Time to see if I can work this dumb ass archaic black magic for this stupid table shit.

B-Dex

Picked it up today. Gonna start out and get my cello bashing on. Someone told me it can turn into an electric guitar later... HYPE!

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Switch_Axe_Weapon_Tree

I'm personally working toward the Giga Gale Azurite but I'll probably end up with the Inceadus at some point along the way.

The Dark Switch Axe path looks nice too, as does the Nether Excellion. TBH you'll probably end up with several at some point so you can switch out elements and phials based on what you're hunting.

Thanks for the link. It will take me a while to figure out what it all means, but it's nice to see where stuff leads too.

I wish it had pictures though, I want stuff that looks awesome!

likeGdid

Does anyone know what you're supposed to do if you're grabbed by Azuros? I know it steals honey, but is this supposed to be a QTE?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from EBGames, I traded in AC3. Guys working there are absolutely clueless, I shouldn't be surprised but still hilarious. Telling me lies left and right. Star Fox remake was on Wii, Smash Bros 4 is out next March, Banjo-Kazooie is coming to Wii U, etc. Fucking hilarious.

Anyway, wasn't a huge fan of MH3 on the Wii but I quit fairly early, however I liked the MH3U demo a lot and I think playing with more players online will get me more interested in the game; plus I've become more open in the last few years about playing challenging games and games that aren't to my liking. Can't wait to dive in. My NNiD is Haziqonfire if anyone wants to addy.

So I'm new to Monster Hunter. Bought both versions and started on the 3DS until I heard that the transfer app wasn't out yet so I restarted on the Wii U. I'm just going to where the game points me. I started out with a switch axe and I just defeated a Great Jaggi. Felt good. Still a little overwhelmed though. What's this charm table people keep talking about? Can someone link me to a beginners super guide or something? Would be much appreciated.

PS: What's up with the transfer app? It's been out in Japan since the game released there right? Is there a lot of text or something? Did they forget to localize what text there was until yesterday?

Is there a point to the "map of the hunting ground" supply item that is in every quest?
It's pretty much there so you don't get lost your first time around, as you get used to the exits, shortcuts, etc. It'll also be used whenever anyone ingame refers to areas by number ("Go to area 10 to find the fish"). Once you know the area well enough, you can leave it behind.

emb

Any tips for using the switch axe? I kinda arbitrarily decided to use that this game, but experimenting with it for the first couple hours makes it seem not that good. I'm hoping it's because I don't really know what I'm doing.

I can't find anything quick to do after unsheathing, outside of I guess rolling. I guess rolling is ok, it's just annoying. All the combos I did in axe mode seemed to go into an upswing at some point, and a lot of the wider swings look like they would trip, which worries me for whenever I start playing multiplayer. Sword mode was pretty cool I guess, though I'm wondering how much the stab/spin attack thing is worth it, and how that works. And is there any use for reloading, or should I just charge back up by attacking in axe mode?

Doorman

Cannot for the life of me remember where I found that toadstool and I need more for poison bombs.
You can find them in the "cave" area in the flooded forest. 8, I think? The Royal Ludroth's nesting ground.

I was planning to play online with another friend tonight but for whatever reason, his Wii U can't seem to access Nintendo's servers. After I enjoy this ice cream I think I'll finally pop online for a few quests. Anybody else who hasn't done the early online quests feel up for gathering some mushrooms and other such stunning early-game achievements? :D

Ehh, still waiting on the transfer app to actually play the Wii U version, but I'm enjoying the 3DS version so far. Didn't get the chart I wanted, but decided to move forward since I'm not on a cursed table. Obsessing about it kind of ruined the beginning of the game for me, so I'm happy to be just playing as I please now.

I was really look forward to this but they didn't release or announce and plans for the Circle Pad Plus XL for NA. I did not have fun with the controls on the demo and also don't want to pay 2x the price to import the CPPXL.

So, anyone feel like giving me a short crash course on the longsword? What are its moves, what are its GOOD moves, general strategy?

Also, what is a good Longsword path to go down? What early weapon should I aim to upgrade to?

What's a good starter armour to work for? I've got a set of the chain mail stuff right now, should I start making alloy? Or jaggi? Or Arzuros?

What's best for a switch axe user?

Sigh. More time on the 3DS one it is, then.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregama...r-3u-update-data-transfer-and-3ds-online-tool

While both the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Data Transfer Program and the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Packet Relay Tool (which allows you to take the 3DS version online) are not yet live on the Nintendo eShop, Nintendo is working very closely with us to get these live as soon as possible and we anticipate that they will both be available on the Nintendo eShop by Friday, March 22. We sincerely apologize for the delay and appreciate that eager fans are looking forward to the feature set offered by the two apps.

LtOrange

Is anyone else running into the issue where some of the UI is not visible on the screen on the left and right sides? I cant see the oxygen tank or the far right side of the map.....it is driving me crazy.

So, anyone feel like giving me a short crash course on the longsword? What are its moves, what are its GOOD moves, general strategy?

Also, what is a good Longsword path to go down? What early weapon should I aim to upgrade to?

X, X, A, X, X+A is your main combo. X, X, A, X, X, repeat does an infinite combo. When your meter fills up spam R to do your super combo. X+A is your "fade slash" or dodge slash. You can press left or right and dodge slash in that direction or do a back away slash by just pressing X+A with no direction on the stick held down. If you want to stick and move, you can poke and then quickly fade slash out of harm's way. For example press X then X+A to do a chop and then dodge slash.

You can buy a nice long sword with the 1500 zenny you start out with. You can't upgrade to another for a while.

Satch

Banned
When you're in your item pouch or in the box, press X and it'll give you the option to auto-sort your items. There's a little prompt that shows up on screen but it's pretty subtle.

oh thats going to save me time. thank you!

also shout out to all horn bros out there doing the lord's work and buffing the team <3

BooJoh

Any tips for using the switch axe? I kinda arbitrarily decided to use that this game, but experimenting with it for the first couple hours makes it seem not that good. I'm hoping it's because I don't really know what I'm doing.

I can't find anything quick to do after unsheathing, outside of I guess rolling. I guess rolling is ok, it's just annoying. All the combos I did in axe mode seemed to go into an upswing at some point, and a lot of the wider swings look like they would trip, which worries me for whenever I start playing multiplayer. Sword mode was pretty cool I guess, though I'm wondering how much the stab/spin attack thing is worth it, and how that works. And is there any use for reloading, or should I just charge back up by attacking in axe mode?

After the upswing you can mash A to do a figure-8 swing that keeps going until you cancel it or run out of stamina. Also in sword mode you can press A+X then mash X to do a charge-up followed by a burst. Forward + X lunge is a good opener to close the gap. Also note that Sword mode has an exrtra attack mapped to the kick/+ button.

You can also sidestep after an attack rather than rolling away. Every weapon requires stick-and-move in this game, but Switch Axe lets you get in more combos than, say, Greatsword.

Doorman

Well...it looks like my Wii U finally hit its first real system freeze. I'm forever trapped on the purgatory that is the MH3U loading splash screen.

The fanfare keeps repeating itself endlessly, never continuing on to the main theme. I think I now know what hell is like.

Mondriaan

Is there a way to whisper to people via keyboard? Is it a different button than tab? Why did Tri's online work so much better than this? Why do I have to stick my face right into the gamepad to voice chat?

Hattori

Banned
Well...it looks like my Wii U finally hit its first real system freeze. I'm forever trapped on the purgatory that is the MH3U loading splash screen.

The fanfare keeps repeating itself endlessly, never continuing on to the main theme. I think I now know what hell is like.
It's the curse of the fallen monsters you've slain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom