• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Holy fuck. What the crap is wrong with the Bay Area when it comes to game availability? Seriously, I went to five Targets today. Five. Not a single one had Monster Hunter on either Wii U or 3DS, and only one of them had either Lego City or Need for Speed. Here I was thinking I'd get to play tons of goodness this week on the Wii U, and instead I'll likely pick up nothing.

Booooooooooooooooooooo.

Codeblue

Ditto. Then again, I used the demo to acclimate myself to normal controls, so I was already competent upon playing the full game. And by competent, I mean I still used potions and crap when I didn't mean to, lol.

"Ok, so I'll just put my weapon away with '-'...wait."

Effect

Hmm. Is the game unbalanced, at the start anyway, with all these extra weapons being available from the start. Was playing around with the switch axe and it made some things seem way to easy and I don't think I like that at all.

Filth

I have no idea, it seems like you can't farm some things in the farm, carpenter bugs included. How annoying. =/ Maybe the farm's rank needs to be raised first or something?

i believe you can you just need to upgrade your bug nest to a higher level.

Kazerei

Banned
I need help capturing a Great Jaggi. I just accidentally killed one. How do I tell when it's weak? It seemed to be doing just fine, and then bam, it's down.

Filth

Hmm. Is the game unbalanced, at the start anyway, with all these extra weapons being available from the start. Was playing around with the switch axe and it made some things seem way to easy and I don't think I like that at all.
no, every starter weapon is available in every monster hunter game. they are all balanced some just do more damage then others.

Pineconn

Everything is easy, no matter what weapon you use. At the very least, Qurupeco puts up a fight (or maybe that's because I used the crummy poison SA).

Filth

I need help capturing a Great Jaggi. I just accidentally killed one. How do I tell when it's weak? It seemed to be doing just fine, and then bam, it's down.

when your fighting him and you see that hes trying to get away from you. he'll start limping and looking like he just got hit by a bus. what you do is set a trap down try to guide him to the trap by making him attack you. once hes in the trap you throw tranq bombs at him. this is how you capture every creature basically. becareful not to set the trap to early because if he leaves the zone you cant set another trap till the oiginal one is gone.

Pineconn

The general starting point for capturing is when it begins to limp to a new area. You have to ease up when you think it's almost dead so that it can begin to limp to show that it's weak (or move normally to show that it's still doing okay). I think you can capture a monster slightly before a monster is limping, but I don't know the threshold.

EDIT: Yeah yeah yeah fourth post, but I had different info than the rest of you. :p

Very good page on charm tables, including some of the best charms you can get from each just to give you an idea what charms you can (probably) get.
http://www.club1kjho.com/t313-everything-about-charm-tables

They die easily, so just wait and see when it starts limping.
The 2* Village Jaggi never limped for me. :/ I waited forever. He walks fine. I landed another hit, bam he's dead. I killed him 6 times trying to get the timing before getting to cap him. Too lazy to farm for Hunter armor.

So I keep getting an error code everytime I try to connect to a game online. 1060614 or 1060612. Have no clue why. everything else works like miiverse or eshop but this is having problems. I have done everything nintendo's website said to do too.

remist

So I keep getting an error code everytime I try to connect to a game online. 1060614 or 1060612. Have no clue why. everything else works like miiverse or eshop but this is having problems. I have done everything nintendo's website said to do too.

I was having the same issue and putting my wii on DMZ fixed it. Have you tried that?

dubq

That's a function in the lobby; go to your friends list, sort it by the people who are actually playing the game, and join them if you are able.
Ok, I am either blind or a moron.. I still cant find this. All I see is an option to ring the gong. How do I get to the lobby to see my friends list?

Kazerei

Banned
The 2* Village Jaggi never limped for me. :/ I waited forever. He walks fine. I landed another hit, bam he's dead. I killed him 6 times trying to get the timing before getting to cap him. Too lazy to farm for Hunter armor.

Hmmm ... I'll try to estimate timing too then.

What's the Monster List for in the Hunter's Notes. I'm assuming it would contain information on monsters killed with their loot, but it remains empty.

Have you bought the reference books from the item shop yet?

Abandond

Are you sure you're killing the right monster? :p

They only drop from certain monsters. I think the water herbivores drop them? =< I forget. (you need to carve them, too!)

You need to be killing and looting the things with long necks underwater in order to get monster guts. It will take up an inventory slot, so you'll need to drop something in order to pick it up.

You gotta kill the nessie looking water things.

I read the quest info and it said it dropped off the uh, jaggi. Do the guts take up an inventory slot? Because I feel like I did loot at least one but there are not any in my bag. I'll go kill the water mobs.

Hmmm ... I'll try to estimate timing too then.
If you're not lazy, you could farm for the armor set with Perception. It lets you know if the monster can now be capped.

I was probably wrong thinking it was Hunter set, but I definitely saw it in the early armors pieces.

DaBoss

I read the quest info and it said it dropped off the uh, jaggi. Do the guts take up an inventory slot? Because I feel like I did loot at least one but there are not any in my bag. I'll go kill the water mobs.

The Jaggis don't drop Monster Guts. :p

The monsters in the water called Apioths do.

Pineconn

Ignore the "main monsters" thing in the quest description. You get them from Epioth (and Delex, but that's the next area).

Abandond

The Jaggis don't drop Monster Guts. :p

The monsters in the water called Apioths do.

Ignore the "main monsters" thing in the quest description. You get them from Epioth (and Delex, but that's the next area).

This game just likes fucking with me.

Thanks for the info.

Everywhere I go to kill Epioth just has the huge boss chasing me. Not sure if I should reset the quest or just fight him.

Kazerei

Banned
Alright, captured a Great Jaggi! I gave it some space once I felt I did enough damage. It was drooling, walked away from me, and then just stood there. I managed to lay a shock trap right at its feet.

Now onto the 3* quests

dubq

Go to Neko and select Lobby.
Neko has no option for Lobby. Do you mean Network? Damn, this entire time I was going into "Multi" which I guess is for local play with people on 3DS... Argh! ;)

No wonder I could never find companions.. Thanks again dude!

Ridley327

Neko has no option for Lobby. Do you mean Network? Damn, this entire time I was going into "Multi" which I guess is for local play with people on 3DS... Argh! ;)

Oh, you haven't actually gone online yet?

Yeah, select Network and all your dreams will come true. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What's the Monster List for in the Hunter's Notes. I'm assuming it would contain information on monsters killed with their loot, but it remains empty.

Buy books from the item lady. You'll be able to see the monsters and how many times you've killed / captured them.

Eteric Rice

So I've read that the charm tables are supposed to change every time you log into the game, but for some reason don't atm. Why the hell hasn't Capcom fixed this yet? Both the 3DS and U versions are patch-able.

Pineconn

This game just likes fucking with me.

Yeah, the monsters list in the quest description is just stupid. I think the Great Jaggi capture quest said that the two main small monsters would be Jaggi and fish. Lol, fish? Seriously? :p

(It might have been the Qurupeco cap quest; I forget.)

Mupod

all this time I've been fighting Duramboros wrong. My god it's so much faster when you don't run away from the hammer spin. Too bad he doesn't seem to have a hunting horn to make and his armor sucks.

Also fuck you Capcom for requiring tails to make blunt weapons. This better not be a pattern for HHs, although I guess I won't care once I have online. I had to suicide with a longsword on Lagi to get his damn tail.

Doorman

...I really need to get back into the habit of bringing spare traps for capture missions, even easy ones. Friggin' Qurupeco just tricked me into using the supply trap and then flew off when I thought he was aggro'd. Always comes away feeling like the damn stupidest waste of time ever.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
...I really need to get back into the habit of bringing spare traps for capture missions, even easy ones. Friggin' Qurupeco just tricked me into using the supply trap and then flew off when I thought he was aggro'd. Always comes away feeling like the damn stupidest waste of time ever.

Thunderbugs are everywhere in this game. No reason to not always have an extra Shock Trap on hand. Easy to make Pitfalls too. I never leave home without one.

muu

Started a game online. Server/Lobby/Pass same as indicated in OP. Room name 'gaffe' NNID frumply / char name Muu.

So I've read that the charm tables are supposed to change every time you log into the game, but for some reason don't atm. Why the hell hasn't Capcom fixed this yet? Both the 3DS and U versions are patch-able.
It's been out in Japan for a year, and has had that problem since launch. They aren't fixing it. 4 is almost out in Japan and it doesn't sell great overseas... I'd be surprised if they patched it.

Doorman

Thunderbugs are everywhere in this game. No reason to not always have an extra Shock Trap on hand. Easy to make Pitfalls too. I never leave home without one.

They're easy to make...provided you happen to bring a trap tool along with you, which you can't just create from resources within the map. In the vast majority of cases more than one trap is never needed, and I tend to travel kind of light when it comes to bringing items I don't think I'll really need.

It's not the very first time something like this has happened, and yeah it's very rare. Still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

On an unrelated note, I have a friend with a Wii U and the game, but apparently as soon as he got the game, his system has been unable to connect to the network. He couldn't download the update and while he can somehow test the internet connection and check for system updates, he apparently can't actually connect to the Nintendo Network, meaning no Miiverse, no software updates, and no online play. Has anybody else heard of an issue like this cropping up?

So I bought this game and I'm wondering how I'm ever supposed to stop playing. No wonder this thing ate Japan.

hey guys,

Has anyone tried connecting the 3ds to the internet through a wired connection?

What? No. What? Why would you?

I mean, aside from opening up the motherboard and figuring out how to graft an ethernet port onto it? Then rewriting the firmware to support it?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
They're easy to make...provided you happen to bring a trap tool along with you, which you can't just create from resources within the map. In the vast majority of cases more than one trap is never needed, and I tend to travel kind of light when it comes to bringing items I don't think I'll really need.

It's not the very first time something like this has happened, and yeah it's very rare. Still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

On an unrelated note, I have a friend with a Wii U and the game, but apparently as soon as he got the game, his system has been unable to connect to the network. He couldn't download the update and while he can somehow test the internet connection and check for system updates, he apparently can't actually connect to the Nintendo Network, meaning no Miiverse, no software updates, and no online play. Has anybody else heard of an issue like this cropping up?

A trap is useful in more ways than trapping to end a quest. A bit fall can give you easy access to things like Lagiacrus head while it's trapped and Shock Traps can be used to chop tails off, etc. Standard equipment for every hunt. I don't bring the tools to make more, unless it's a high rank quest where multiple traps make my life much easier, but a single extra trap takes up one slot and does a lot.

Fewr

Haha, I did the stopwatch thing to land on table 3, I just checked and I got it wrong. I got table 10. What to do? what to do? ehhh.. I'll stay here.

L Thammy

Man, some are you guys are so far. I'm still at 2*. :|

Online play is for chumps. Can we bug Sven for a patch that improves the Wii U framerate and font size instead? It feels like I need to get new glasses.

I like how when I throw out the Goldenfish Bait in that 1*, all the regular fish swim away and pure gold ones swim in :p

Spent like 20 minutes catching all the fish I could, since it seems they just make the bait infinite to troll people who didn't bring the right bait to that mission :V

Resilient

So I bought this game and I'm wondering how I'm ever supposed to stop playing. No wonder this thing ate Japan.

What? No. What? Why would you?

I mean, aside from opening up the motherboard and figuring out how to graft an ethernet port onto it? Then rewriting the firmware to support it?

It's a feature. Wii U connected via Ethernet capable can be used to take the 3DS version online , with the 3DS using the Wii U as an access point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom