• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Water Atk+ scale? Or is it a flat +20 Water for the +2 skill?

I seriously just want to lock myself in my room and play all day every day. Damn you life!

Madouu

Finally had a bit of free time tonight to play, got the great jaggi and captured me a bear. Things are going well so far but I'm sure I'm going to get my ass beaten up in the very near future.

Filth

holy crap. the duramboros. up until now i was killing everything in 5-15 min. this is the first wall i hit. took me probably 40 min and down to my last herb. fainted 2 times and finally killed him. question though: i broke his horns with my lance but was mostly aiming at his tail. im assuming you cant cut the tail off? but you can damage it?

I'm halfway through the 3* quests right now, and I need Barroth Shells to upgrade my Switch Axe. Is there one coming up in the 4* quests, or should I try soloing the HR1 online one? (3DS ver. here)

Kyzon

My relationship can't survive this game unless I get my GF into it. I've been on for about 14 hours minus food breaks, and taking a few shots with the GF.

Anyways, I need to check my table. I'm not going to re-start, but I will just to see what I have.

kidko

Man, annoying. I did the crystal bones quest in the desert night to harvest carpenterbugs and for some reason after I returned from the quest, the carpenterbugs, along with a few other items, were gone from my bag! .___.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man, annoying. I did the crystal bones quest in the desert night to harvest carpenterbugs and for some reason after I returned from the quest, the carpenterbugs, along with a few other items, were gone from my bag! .___.

Quest items. They get turned into zenny.

Kyzon

Some missions don't let you take certain items from them. I think it's to prevent people from gathering everything one mission then starting and finishing missions immediately.

Teknoman

TAKE THAT! You overgrown parrot! Running all over the place...finally i'm good for the night lol.

Also make sure to check out the ecology videos in the gallery.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a guide or something about the basics of Monster Hunter? I'd be interested in reading up.

Going to do Rank 1 quests starting from the top. Anyone want to join me? Please have potions ready, at the very least.

Beginners 01
Lobby 7
Room name - GAF

Anyone notice if you kill a large monster in front of jaggi, they kinda leave you alone? They try to intimidate you by scratching and growling, but keep jumping back if you move closer.

When i was fighting the Arzuros, I let it sleep so i could sneak up on it, but when i got into the area, a whole bunch of Jaggia began attacking it to wake it up. Is that new?

Peru

Is there a guide or something about the basics of Monster Hunter? I'd be interested in reading up.

If you're willing to pay a few dollars this sums up the third gen and series more generally and tells you the most important stuff http://weloveculty.com/collections/monster-hunter-beginners-guide

You could read some game faqs for Tri, like this http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/943655-monster-hunter-tri/faqs/62055

Or more reasonably watch let's plays or weapon tutorials on youtube. I suggest SocialDissonance's Tri let's play.

Teknoman

When i was fighting the Arzuros, I let it sleep so i could sneak up on it, but when i got into the area, a whole bunch of Jaggia began attacking it to wake it up. Is that new?

I havent seen that happen before...would be cool if some sort of scavenger/predator/prey dynamic would happen, depending on whether a monster was weak or not.

EDIT: Finally ready to go online and join others...and sleep hits. Also my battery is almost on E lol.

Peru

One of the extra bad things waiting for this as a EU citizen is I currently live in a country way ahead of Europe time zone wise. So in reality I have to wait until Saturday. I think..?

When does full game releases show up on the European e-store (3DS)?

blackflag

I havent seen that happen before...would be cool if some sort of scavenger/predator/prey dynamic would happen, depending on whether a monster was weak or not.

EDIT: Finally ready to go online and join others...and sleep hits. Also my battery is almost on E lol.

Happened to me once. It was cool, like 8 jaggi were fighting it when I entered the room. I was worried they were gonna kill it.

rockx4

Just took down my first Great Jaggi. It took me longer than I expected but I was very cautious. Lots of dodging, lots of hit and runs but it was pretty awesome. Can't wait to fight some of the real monsters!

So what is the gaf lobby again? I am far enough along that I feel comfortable just helping people out now or doing stuff above my sp level.

Once you get a ludroth weapon, the good tines roll.

steveovig

This game looks very interesting but I'm on the fence. Is there any exploration in this game? I loved the exploration in Xenoblade and I'm hoping for something similar out of this. I tried the demo and was put off by it a little but I'm still thinking about getting this.

Anival

Banned
Do people like using dual swords? I have played all the MH games but never used them. I mostly used long swords or great swords but never the dual swords. Are they effective?

Ken

This game looks very interesting but I'm on the fence. Is there any exploration in this game? I loved the exploration in Xenoblade and I'm hoping for something similar out of this. I tried the demo and was put off by it a little but I'm still thinking about getting this.

Nope.

Do people like using dual swords? I have played all the MH games but never used them. I mostly used long swords or great swords but never the dual swords. Are they effective?
They're more popular than before. This is technically the first time Westerners get to experience it in its buffed form which it really needed. It's now a proper weapon instead of "juice+demon dance" gimmick.

chrono01

It has exploration, but it's designated to many "small" areas joined together by loading screens [don't worry, they're extremely fast].

You have a central "hub" that you can chat with NPC's, assign duties, upgrade/purchase items/equipment, among other things. You then take on a "quest" and venture off to one of the many different maps [which have between 1-10+ different areas].

It's not as "open-world" as Xenoblade, but there's still a decent amount of exploration to do, especially if it's your first time in a given area. That being said, the areas are extremely small, so don't expect something like Xenoblade's massive expanse.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
My weapon of choice during the few hours I put in Portable 3rd (they were there, right? So long ago...), 3G and 4 TGS demo!

Alex

Looks like I can get it tomorrow, hooray. Since none of my MH buddies have a Wii U, I hope I can get some spots with some of you fine folks. I'm always keen to help series newbies as well, although I'll probably spend the better part of tomorrow just getting situated again.

Playing mainly single player and being a hammer user. I always have a bit of a laugh as everyone kinda circles around the head and a thought triggers in my mind.

"Just watch me hit the other guy by accident...*Pow!*"

But the real kicker is that usually it hits them out of the way of another attack!

Usually, I tire a bit of playing but the random moments you look back on make me keep having fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom