• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewr

OK, got my Hunter ready.

How does this fishing table stuff work now?
when and how can I send the boat off?
do I need to give them items or can I just send them off?

Ahhh!
Give them the more fish item to be more certain of the table you got, you get it automatically from the fish lady. You can send the boat whenever after doing the monster guts quest.

rockx4

When it gets tired let it run to the other area and then set the trap up there first thing.

Do I need to wait for it to start limping to capture it? I've tried when it tires, but it ran away after I trapped it and tossed 1 tranq bomb.

Caedeus repelled! So are there any ways to cheese Caedeus offline? Otherwise I'm just going to start high rank quests until data transfer shows up.

Try to get the Breath Core Hammer. Just do some gathering runs at the volcano and if no Rustshard then leave, rinse and repeat. Can probably take out Ceadeus in one round with the BCH.

Peru

Do I need to wait for it to start limping to capture it? I've tried when it tires, but it ran away after I trapped it and tossed 1 tranq bomb.

Not necessarily but that's the safest sign. You need to throw more than 1 tranq bomb at it though so it may have been capturable when you let it go.

Reposting in case it gobbled up on the last page:

Would someone be willing to write a brief summary of weapons with how useful they are for solo and/or group play? For example, I don't ever hear people talking about Sword & Shield, and I've read somewhere that people don't like grouping with Longsword users because the wide swings knock down other players a lot. I wouldn't mind hearing what the experts think of all these weapon types, and maybe how easy/hard they are to learn and use.

I'll take a stab at answering this.

Lance: awesome solo and party weapon as you can constantly keep hitting the monster while providing superb defense for yourself, albeit you must have the specific skills to be able to guard against certain attacks. Learning curve is a bit high since you'll need to know when to parry/counter-attack the monster you're dealing with. Your survivability is high when facing tough monsters.

Gun Lance: less mobile version of the lance with no parrying tricks, but can deal a lot more burst damage.

Sword and shield: great for dealing status effects, pretty useful in a party. You can probably use a different weapon type when soloing as it deals lousy damage.

Dual swords: more offensive than the SnS, not much of a hindrance to your party in terms of tripping/launching. Okay in Solo & coop.

Greatswords: slow and wieldy but can deal a lot of damage, great for cutting tails. Nice to have in a party, can be a bit tricky in solo play.

Longswords: nice weapon to take down monsters fast in solo mode, the ability to make your teammates trip can be annoying in multiplayer.

Hammer: slow yet powerful smashing weapon, great for exhausting and knocking out (stun) your opponent. Pretty much my weapon of choice in solo or coop. Will be a bit annoying in a party if you keep on making your teammates fly with the super pound attack. Your main focus of attack will almost always be the head, so you'll need to do a lot of footwork.

Hunting Horn: you're playing as a Battle Priest. Awesome in all modes of play.

Bows, HBG, LBG: don't play much of ranged weapons so I can't comment.

@Lanze B, Dragon Girl & Remfin: here's our warm up vid taking on 1* Lagombi http://youtu.be/ADhAnj1d-p0

Fewr

cheers mate! the advice I needed.
If you want a guide of how far you have to get to do the monster guts quest, check my post history, I posted a quick one from gamefaqs yesterday. Also, when sending boats, dont use the other item that reduces the time to get fish because you get less fish, and that gives you more options regarding which table you got, so in the end youll have to send them off a.few more time to narrow down the result.

I don't know if I want to buy this game on 3DS. 3DS is already hurting the shit out of my hands playing fire emblem for a long period of time. Might just wait until I buy a we you.

Mupod

Registering armor sets is amazing, so much better than Tri.
I just gemmed both Jaggi armor sets with the same 3 steadfast gems. As long as you register each set up, the gems are moved to the set that you equip through the armor set menu.
So much better, the worst thing about Tri was equipping an armor set and not knowing why you were missing a skill because you randomly removed a gem you needed at some point.

Oh man they finally put this in? Thank god

Two tranqs. No more no less. Unless you have status atk down, then you need three.

Kill a few to get a feel for when he's weak. Watching for limping is the surest sign but after a while you just 'know'.

Remember to bring extra traps and tranqs. Always.

rockx4

Two tranqs. No more no less. Unless you have status atk down, then you need three.

Kill a few to get a feel for when he's weak. Watching for limping is the surest sign but after a while you just 'know'.

Remember to bring extra traps and tranqs. Always.

Not necessarily but that's the safest sign. You need to throw more than 1 tranq bomb at it though so it may have been capturable when you let it go.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try again.

How much should I worry about elemental stuff?

Partway through the upgrade path, I can make a couple types of hammers. One of them is ice. I don't want to craft it and then find out that the next 2 big monsters I have to fight resist ice and I'll be doing half damage. :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Partway through the upgrade path, I can make a couple types of hammers. One of them is ice. I don't want to craft it and then find out that the next 2 big monsters I have to fight resist ice and I'll be doing half damage. :(

There are no 'resist'. Take Lagiacrus for instance. It doesn't take additional damage from Ice and Electric, but it doesn't 'resist' them in the traditional sense. You will still be doing your base weapon damage.

irMogbBkqcdaR.png

So the main concern when upgrading weapon is settling on a specific weapon path. Crafting an Ice hammer won't hurt you. Fire is probably the most useful element early on though.

Ryuuga

Banned
I don't know if I want to buy this game on 3DS. 3DS is already hurting the shit out of my hands playing fire emblem for a long period of time. Might just wait until I buy a we you.

If you can still find the 3DS version then get it. Sans the control options for extended periods of play, it's a much better version in every way over the Wii U with the added bonus of mobility should the opportunity to take it with you arises.

Also ugh @ the P3rd-esque weapon tree. I'm glad they at least kept the weapon dmg, but the modifiers are nowhere close to the original Tri.

SumGamer

No. When you look at your crafted weapon, you will see raw damage and elemental damage. If monster is resisted to that element then only the elemental damage get reduced. Raw damage will still be applied per usual.

Since you already crafted yours, I'd say only pay attention to the elemental stuff when you get stuck. Sure getting the right element to use on the right monster helps a lot but it's not a game breaking problem.

Your armor on the other hand is something you should worry about unless you can dodge the attack with confident.

Xater

I am trying to hit table 10. so I hit A at exactly the right time at New Game. That should have done it right? Can I after saving turn everything back to normal?

If you can still find the 3DS version then get it. Sans the control options for extended periods of play, it's a much better version in every way over the Wii U with the added bonus of mobility should the opportunity to take it with you arises.

Also ugh @ the P3rd-esque weapon tree. I'm glad they at least kept the weapon dmg, but the modifiers are nowhere close to the original Tri.

Noted. Still on edge a bit just because the 3ds is a bit uncomfortable.

deviljho

It depends on the weapon. "Faster" weapons, or weapons that you can connect with often benefit from Elemental attack and Status Attack more than slower weapons. So an elemental attack would be more useful for a weapon like dual swords than great sword. Plus what others have said already.

Ken

Purple Ludroth down! Kind of weird to see Misty Peaks coming out at the latter half of the game when it was the D. Island of P3rd.

I should spend tomorrow finishing all the village requests.

Mupod

Elemental damage is kinda odd in this series, but one thing to keep in mind is that if a monster isn't weak to that element, it won't take any damage from it. However your raw damage will always work. So a 200 raw 500 fire weapon will wreck Gigginox but would be pretty worthless against Agnaktor. Bears mentioning that elemental weaknesses are specific to a part of a monster as well - lightning works on Duramboros' horns but not so good on the rest of him.

From what I understand, since P3rd the slower/faster weapons got modifiers for elemental attacks to even out the traditional concept of fast = get elemental and slow = get high raw dmg. But it's still heavily favored for fast weapons. I need to do some more research on this stuff before I start making absolute statements though. For a new player I'd advise either looking up damage zones (brady guide has em!), or just focus on highest raw damage and use some Pokemon Logic. If it spits electricity don't hit it with thunder, so on.

Come to think of it I guess hunting horn qualifies as a faster weapon so I suppose I should get out of my hammering mindset. It seems like HHs don't get much element on them though.

sammex

My order from GAME shipped but hasn't arrived today - I guess tomorrow it is then. Still not sure which weapon I'm going to main yet.

Gala

My Circle Pad Pro XL arrived today. Now I just need the game. I hope my local store breaks the street date if I go there just before closing time. Otherwise I will stick with my plan and get the digital copy.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Mutt

Neo Member
I want to be able to play this on the Wii U. Does anyone know when the save transfer application is going to be available for the 3DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom